Dragonborn's Journal

Maelstrom

To start, basic player info.

Name: Bolt
Race: Breton
Current Lvl: 21
Highest Skills: Enchanting (55), Conjuration (54), One Handed (46)

Dragons Slain: 3

----

So yeah, this is where I go to talk about Skyrim when I'm taking breaks from Skyrim. Capisce?

Anyways, playing the way I normally do... I take a long time to do things. Also, I must have ADHD cuz I keep jumping around the map and doing things as they catch my attention or I remember them.

Hopefully, everyone will post useful info and tips, like which quest lines give you the best loot!

-----

So, for my first input... Do the Magic College quest line. You'll get a free room and magicka regen clothes for passing the test to access the college and become a student (talk to the lady guarding the bridge and she'll have you cast a particular spell on her). If you're like my friend and not like me, you'll probably have to level up a bit to have enough magika to cast the spell.

As you go through the quest, you'll go to some ruins as a class and at the end of the ruins is a particularly helpful
Thu'um- Ice Form. It will freeze anybody or any creature standing in a line straight in front of you. They freeze completely and fall over. They'll thaw out and attack you run/away from you like normal after several seconds though- usually enough time for me to regen magika or stamina or both. They thaw and break out of the ice right away if you attack them though, so take a moment to plan and prepare your continued onslaught.

The quest regarding the the haunted barrow at the town you have to as you head up the mountain to meet the gray-beards. The reward is a Word "Kyne's Peace" that soothes wild beasts, who will lose the desire to fight or flee. Happy hunting, you cruel bastards. =P

Tip #33: Stay the fuck away from bears. They're fast, they're viscious, and they've got a shit ton of health and will two hit you to death in the face. They're tougher than the damn trolls i've run into.

Tip #2: Enchanting a weapon with the Soul Trap enchantment- go for maximum number of charges (trap soul if target dies within a second). This gave me well over 100 charges to use. All you simply have to do is beat them to death with your weapon. Sure as hell beats having to cast soul trap on everything and quickly switch to a weapon or shield and hope you defeat them within 1 min. A killing blow means it dies within 0 seconds of being hit by your enchanted weapon, and by god your foe better be long dead by the times you use up all those charges/attacks.

Tip #1: Arbitrarily number your tips as you give them out so that to the casual observer you appear to be more knowledgeable and sagacious than you may actually be. Important tips will be numbered in the 1-10 range, or as important-seemng numbers, like 100. It will call to them the attention they deserve.

>Bears being harder then fuck.
You need a flaming sword of fire.
Honestly, the college is for mages if you are starting out. Anything could be for later IMO.
If you more a melee person. I recommend go joining the companions. You get beast form which is somewhat great. You get a skyforge steel weapon, which is really good for how early you can get it.
I'm 27 and it's still great.

Well, now, this topic needs a dire update.

Lvl: 40, just a hair short of lvl 41.

Max skill level Enchantment- I can give a weapon two enchantments when I make it, too. I Enchant even a lowly iron dagger with Banish and Fear and it'll sell for at least 500 gold, even if I just use a petty soul gem. Other items and/or bigger soul gems sell for up to 1k good. So, I am pulling in the big bucks. Enchantments on apparel really don't sell for much at all, so I don't bother picking those up anymore. Though I should, since I want to increase my very poor smithing skill.

Conjuration Lvl 80- I run around with a Bound Sword blazing all the time. The perk that makes it cast Soul Trap on whatever I hit with bound weapons helped immeasurably in my enchanting things. I rarely conjure up atronarchs or that lord thing. I just keep forgetting I can toss them out as bait and then attack from behind. Also, if I accidentally hit one of my conjured with my bound sword, it automatically banishes them too.

One-handed lvl 69 [s]shaddup, i know what you're thinking[/s]

Heavy Armor lvl 60

Alteration 59- Stoneflesh
Restoration 58- Fast heal and respite is entirely worth it.
Destruction 54- Firebolts, Fireballs, Ice Storms are my fast friends.
Speech 52
Sneak 51

I have many more things to say, but I am a bit preoccupied. I shall edit or add a new post later. But I shall add this quickly- Mace + absorb health (22 hp per hit) + Fire Damage (35 per hit) + Burning= dead people fast. ENCHANT!

protip #5- you can spend a bunch of hard earned iron ingots to make a single banded shield or whatever. It will still raise your smithing skill exactly as much as making an iron dagger (1 leather, 1 iron ingot).

That being said, I've maxed smithing skill and can now forge Dragon Armor. And boy do I have a lot of bones and scales to work with. You can bet your cajones I'll be enchanting them heavily. Block + 40%, regen +62%, magic/health.stamina + 62 pts, max carry + 37, Resist magic +20%, resist element +40%, etc... and keeping in mind I can enchant two abilities to any one piece of armor.

Protip #3- the wizard in windhelm isn't the murderer, so don't wrongly convict him. Talk to him instead of the steward and you will catch the real murderer in the act. If you save it at the right time, you can stop him mid-act and save the woman he is about to backstab once you know who and what to look for. [spoiler]Hint: it's the dude who has the collection of embalming tools, a recently dead sister, and is suspiciously interested in taking that necromancer's amulet off your hands.[/spoiler]

protip #42- if you side with the imperials instead of the stormcloaks, I will cut you.

Edit: I helped faendal, and i got his housekey and can take a lot of stuff from him, but that hardly counts as owning your own house.

Anyone ever really use followers? I can have Faendal follow me, there are plenty of sellswords, I have two mage buddies at the college, and as thane of whiterun, I can run my own mob/gang. But I like killing shit myself. Helps the skill leveling and all that.

Bought a home in Windhelm, Ulfric's home turf. The bastards gave me the house the murder stashed the body parts in and made me pay for them to clean out that mess. Cost me 12k but it's huge, and I added an armory and arcane enchanter to it (as well as all the usual kitchen and bedroom upgrades, etc). The cool part is the place has a whole lot of weapons racks and come withs 3 manikins you can store/display your armor on.

So, I've got the complete dragonscale armor set on one manikin, what I was wearing up till the point i could forge dragon armor on the 2nd manikin, and a full set of Glass armor on the third. I'm wearing the Dragonplate set, so yeah. Thanks to the Heavy Armor boosts I enchanted on the armor, my heavy armor level is over 150 (actual level is actually only about 60 or so).

Protip #5- Giving a weapon two enchantments greatly reduces the number of charges it has. With life drain and fire damage, I get 57 charges out of the enchantment. If I use just the fire enchantment, it has over 450 charges. So... I reccommend enchanting weapons with just one boost. If you're just enchanting a weapon that you're going to sell, go for 2 enchantments. It does increase the sale value, with Banish and Paralyze enchantments giving it the most value.