Hate Crimes

So if you don't live in the United States, don't read the international news, or are actively involved with a religious community, you may not have heard a certain news story that occurred in the states that is a premier story. A few days ago, in Charleston, South Carolina (in the southeastern US) a young man named Dylann Roof decided it would be absolutely smashing to go to an African Methodist Episcopal Church, and shoot some members of the congregation who were in a Bible study. How it went down in order, was apparently, Roof went down to the church, and sat in on the Bible study for maybe an hour. So then he decided to pull a gun and proceed to shoot all nine of the members of the study: three men and six women, and one of the men being the pastor of the church (the Pastor is the Head Priest in terms of the Methodist church). Anyways, Roof fled and police caught him about 250 miles away in the next state/providence either today or yesterday, I forget which.

Now one thing that caught my interest in this particular case that disgusted me was when I first heard about it being a potential hate crime, I thought it would be a hate crime on religious grounds. Well I was very mistaken. For those who aren't familiar, the African Methodist church usually has a supermajority of black members in the congregation, and all the Bible study members fit that bill. The shooter - Mr. Roof - was white. This isn't to say that African Methodist churches don't have members of other races, but this actually pissed me off a lot, when I found out Iit was a racial hate crime rather than a religious hate crime.

I was pissed because this is the same "racial insensitivity" resurgence America is supposedly going through, specifically with the police around the country. In cases in four different cities in America, there was upheaval over the racial "bias" that white cops supposedly took out on black men. One case in Ferguson, one in New York, and one in Baltimore. Three of these cases were shown to be misunderstandings or pure bullshit that should not have happened.

In Ferguson, a black teenager was gunned down after he supposedly surrendered. In New York, a chubby black man was thrown into a chokehold by a white cop and suffocated after he said he couldn't breathe. And in Baltimore, a black suspect died of neglect to injuries caused by the cops who beat him down to detain him. What I hated here was things were blown way out of proportion. Ferguson was shown to be bull crap accusations, New York was a misunderstanding on the cop's part, and Baltimore literally had massive riots amongst the black population.

What angers me about hate crimes is the lengths people go to to commit these crimes, as well as encourage people to carry out these sort of crimes. One man on Facebook posted about encouraging people to go out and shoot cops. Even though he took it down, the thought is no lessheinous. Because what if a select someone felt inspired enough by the message to act it out? That disappoints me.

Reborn, this is where I understand it's a societal problem with people behaving on the grounds of a difference. But sadly, the madness won't end as long as people care too much about difference.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

i actually live not far where they caight him. i can tell you this: it is a long trip back to South Carolina when you mess up liked this.

still cant understand why someone would do this.

i actually live not far where they caight him. i can tell you this: it is a long trip back to South Carolina when you mess up liked this.

still cant understand why someone would do this.

I have an answer for you, but I'd get a warning point from the mods for saying it.

Reborn, this is where I understand it's a societal problem with people behaving on the grounds of a difference. But sadly, the madness won't end as long as people care too much about difference.

I'mma ignore the rest of your silly ass post to comment on this. Shit ain't as simple as "well, if we stop caring about race, racism will go away". We don't get the luxury of just "forgetting", we don't get to just ignore race. We wake up every day to see another one of us slaughtered, we have to hear all sorts of inane racist bullshit on the daily, we can't ignore race because white society makes a point of reminding us about it. Y'all get tired of having racial discussions, we get tired of having to live this shit.

I wish it was that easy. I honestly do.

We wake up every day to see another one of us slaughtered, we have to hear all sorts of inane racist bullshit on the daily, we can't ignore race because white society makes a point of reminding us about it. Y'all get tired of having racial discussions, we get tired of having to live this shit.

Damn, I never thought the harsh truth would follow me into Reborn of all places...

I heard he was trying to start another civil war...

That and supposedly his roommate knew he was going to do this for a while now. Like, wtf

Y'know Neo, the ironic thing I find about being a white American, is that I'd think maybe after two centuries of bull shit imposed on minorities of this country, AND the extra two centuries prior to the country's development, that it would make white people a target of minority uprising.

We wake up every day to see another one of us slaughtered, we have to hear all sorts of inane racist bullshit on the daily, we can't ignore race because white society makes a point of reminding us about it. Y'all get tired of having racial discussions, we get tired of having to live this shit.

The most realistic post on this thread. Everyone, give this person all your cookies....

To be honest, I hate word crimes more than hate crimes.

Also, living in Canada (especially in Toronto) I can't say I've seen a lot of hate crimes being committed.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but if racial slurs and the like make you cry a river then close this spoiler.

Unless you count using the words nigger, faggot, dyke, or other derogatory terms a hate crime.

Actually, come to think of it the only recent thing that has popped up is the practice of carding, where police would stop people randomly and ask them a few questions before letting them go. The problem with this was that the black community felt that this was just as bad as racial profiling and that most of the people being carded were black people.

Edited by DarkSpite

• Support Squad

I, uh, I think this topic need be locked down. Past discussions in more private areas have gone unpleasant, leaving this open to a more public sector where ANYONE can comment may not be the best idea really. I get this may not be fair to the original poster, being unable to access such private areas but I really don't see this going anywhere good or productive.

To be honest, I hate word crimes more than hate crimes.

Also, living in Canada (especially in Toronto) I can't say I've seen a lot of hate crimes being committed.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but if racial slurs and the like make you cry a river then close this spoiler.

Unless you count using the words n*****, f*****, ****, or other derogatory terms a hate crime.

Actually, come to think of it the only recent thing that has popped up is the practice of carding, where police would stop people randomly and ask them a few questions before letting them go. The problem with this was that the black community felt that this was just as bad as racial profiling and that most of the people being carded were black people.

Nevermind the fact that that your govt. treats the Native population as if they're subhuman. Your insensitivity towards this discussion is a prime example of privilege, bruh. "It doesn't affect me, so why should I care". Don't come up into discussions if you ain't got some constructive things to add.

(P.S. Censor your slurs. There's no reason for you to have typed them out, even if they are in a spoiler)

Nevermind the fact that that your govt. treats the Native population as if they're subhuman. Your insensitivity towards this discussion is a prime example of privilege, bruh. "It doesn't affect me, so why should I care". Don't come up into discussions if you ain't got some constructive things to add.

(P.S. Censor your slurs. There's no reason for you to have typed them out, even if they are in a spoiler)

We treat them as sub human yet they are somewhat tax immune and are given governmental assistance if they stay as a registered member of a tribe. I also happen to think Andrew Jackson was the biggest f*** ever to be president because of what he started our country to do against the native populous.

We treat them as sub human yet they are somewhat tax immune and are given governmental assistance if they stay as a registered member of a tribe. I also happen to think Andrew Jackson was the biggest f*** ever to be president because of what he started our country to do against the native populous.

I was referring to Canada, m8y.

We've got quite a bit of our own issues when it comes to Natives as well (Mainly, not honoring treaties)

Well then... ummm so this is a thing. I'm afraid that just even leaving a reply here puts a target on my back, but I don't care whatever. For me, to see this happened yet again in the U.S. makes me feel not ashamed, not sad, but scared. Scared that this could have happened to my family, scared that this could have happened to my friends, scared that I could have died with a short life. I guess this is sort of becoming the norm too. I use to like to go running, but with all these stories about crazy killers and what not, I get scared to even go outside. I feel like some maniac is going to kidnap me or shoot me. For what reason? None! And that's what scares me. They don't need a reason for this as long as they can do it.

In the end, I see it as humans are awful. Sure there are some diamonds in the rough, but the way we go about our lives, some killing, some abusing, some hurting, it's just not right to me. I'd like it all to stop, but what difference can one person make? I could certainly make a bigger difference if I killed tbh. I'd get more attention doing that. I won't though. Why? because I have other people in my life that need me, and I need them. I'd rather not lose them. Especially to psychopaths on the streets who dare to call themselves humans.