5 Ways To Excel At Pokemon Reborn

King Jirachi

A Monotype run is a run where you are only allowed to use one type of pokemon, Such as my Steel Monotype run, where my team currently consists of:

Empoleon: water / STEEL

Steelix: ground / STEEL

Escavalier: bug / STEEL

Magnezone: electric / STEEL

Klingklang: STEEL

Metagross: psychic / STEEL

on rotation:

Excadrill (almost :) ): ground / STEEL

Bronzor (untrained) : psychic / STEEL

As you can see, I am only using pokemon that have the STEEL typing, because I thought it would be an interesting and tough challenge. Currently on the fire type gym, so wish me luck :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Monotype run is a run where you are only allowed to use one type of pokemon, Such as my Steel Monotype run, where my team currently consists of:

Empoleon: water / STEEL

Steelix: ground / STEEL

Escavalier: bug / STEEL

Magnezone: electric / STEEL

Klingklang: STEEL

Metagross: psychic / STEEL

on rotation:

Excadrill (almost :) ): ground / STEEL

Bronzor (untrained) : psychic / STEEL

As you can see, I am only using pokemon that have the STEEL typing, because I thought it would be an interesting and tough challenge. Currently on the fire type gym, so wish me luck :)

LOL Have fun with that...

Your secon point is somewhat invalid as we have Ability Capsules in Reborn that can change the abilities of your Pokemon.

The fourth point is also not entirely true as not all the event Pokemon are good/useful.

When playing Pokemon Reborn, you'll often find yourself in hard situations, at the end of your rope, and about to throw the game down in rage. Lemme tell you five easy ways to excel at Reborn that will greatly help you in the long run.

3. Use the field effects to your advantage. Almost every area has a field effect, and this website has a guide to those field effects for a reason. Use that guide so you can quickly take your opponents out and deliver the blow you need to beat that trainer you're stuck on.

I'll point out here that you can also read up on the field effects in the Beryl Ward Library and in the text document titled "Field effect Manual" which is in the main download of the episode.

Yeah Ampharos is a very good pokemon. Agility getting bred onto it is really good. And we may be able to mega evolve it in the distant future~

Casual reminder that Mega Amphy has 165 base Special Attack, so we won't be getting it for quite some time. 165 Base Special Attack makes it tied for the 9th highest in the game (only outclassed by Mewtwo-Y, P-Kyogre, Mega Rayquaza, Deoxys-A, Mega Zam, Hoopa-U, Kyurem-W, and Mega Gengar) and it possess strong dual STABs which will demolish most things, especially in game. So seriously, don't hold your breath on Mega Amphy. But regular Amphy is still awesome.

I'll point out here that you can also read up on the field effects in the Beryl Ward Library and in the text document titled "Field effect Manual" which is in the main download of the episode.

Casual reminder that Mega Amphy has 165 base Special Attack, so we won't be getting it for quite some time. 165 Base Special Attack makes it tied for the 9th highest in the game (only outclassed by Mewtwo-Y, P-Kyogre, Mega Rayquaza, Deoxys-A, Mega Zam, Hoopa-U, Kyurem-W, and Mega Gengar) and it possess strong dual STABs which will demolish most things, especially in game. So seriously, don't hold your breath on Mega Amphy. But regular Amphy is still awesome.

Yeah by distant I mean in 7 billion years. I use Amphy in my alt file and mine puts in work.

Your secon point is somewhat invalid as we have Ability Capsules in Reborn that can change the abilities of your Pokemon.

The fourth point is also not entirely true as not all the event Pokemon are good/useful.

Yes, but the ability capsules aren't easy to obtain and the ability they give you is random, and being most Pokemon who have a hidden ability have two normal abilities, you could end up getting the second normal ability over the hidden one.

And you are right, not all are useful, but I also never said they were ALL useful, I just said that often times the Pokemon you need is an event one. Often does not mean always

It's true, you can read about them in the Beryl ward library, but not many people have the memory to read them all there and remember it through the rest of the game. Since most people don't have that memory, and most people don't wanna or have the time to run back there every time they encounter a new field zone, it'd be faster and easier to just have the guide pulled up off the website.

Yes, but the ability capsules aren't easy to obtain and the ability they give you is random, and being most Pokemon who have a hidden ability have two normal abilities, you could end up getting the second normal ability over the hidden one.

And you are right, not all are useful, but I also never said they were ALL useful, I just said that often times the Pokemon you need is an event one. Often does not mean always

This is not true. IIRC, then it was changed in Episode 14 that all abilities cycled in a definite manner. Take Clefairy for example. It has three possible abilities: Cute Charm,Magic Guard, and Friend Guard (HA). If you were to have a Clefairy with Friend Guard and you wanted to have a Clefairy with Cute Charm (no clue why, but roll with it), it would always take one Ability Capsule. to go from Friend Guard to Magic Guard would always take 2.

On the other point, Ability Capsules are fairly easy to obtain as of Episode 15. Now, they can be rather commonly obtained via Pickup and really another tip on your list should be to have a Pickup army imo due to their usefulness.

1. Always have common candies with you. I know they seem worthless, but trust me, when your Pokemon go over the level cap for that badge and are disobeying you, they are a blessing to have. Use about two or three and hope that your Pokemon's stats aren't severely reduced. You'll have your strongest Pokemon listening to you again, and you're Pokemon won't lose any moves it learned in the levels it lost.
  2. When catching Pokemon, aim for the ones with the hidden abilities. Now, I know that it takes time to find Pokemon with hidden abilities in the wild, but trust me, it's a lot quicker than breeding and training for those IVs and EVs. You'll find that the lack of Pokemon in some parts of Reborn are inconvenient, so you'd just be wasting your time training for EVs. I can honestly say, that if it wasn't for my Goldeen with the hidden ability Lightning Rod and my Pachirisu and it's hidden ability Volt Absorb, then I would have struggled to beat the first gym. The hidden abilities are what you want to go for. You'll have more time to train and breed for IVs and EVs between chapter releases.
  3. Use the field effects to your advantage. Almost every area has a field effect, and this website has a guide to those field effects for a reason. Use that guide so you can quickly take your opponents out and deliver the blow you need to beat that trainer you're stuck on.
  4. Use any event Pokemon you find. There are tons of event Pokemon spread throughout the game, and they were placed there to aid you on your travels through Reborn. You'll often find that the event Pokemon is just the Pokemon you need to beat that specific gym. I picked up the Kricketot at the start of the game, and ever since, my Kricketune has been destroying every gym I've come across with it's Fury Cutter move. If you find an event Pokemon, GRAB IT!
  5. Train often. Now, this seems like a no-brainer, but this isn't any normal training method. This is a training method I personally came up with, and have used for years. I call it Flush Training. This method of training is worthless to you if you Nuzlocke though, for the method involves training your Pokemon in the most recent wild area until they all faint. This is a cruel method that will get your Pokemon to like you less, yes, but it's effective. If you Nuzlocke, then there are only four tips to help you, but if not, then use this method, and teach your Pokemon Frustration. You'll be surprised to see the damage it deals after effectively using this training method.
  6. Now, there is only supposed to be five, but this is something that needs to be pointed out, and I CAN'T stress this enough. Know your type match-ups! If you know your type match-ups, and you use them, then GREAT! Congratulations, you don't need this tip. If not, then learn them, and get them down. I know that it's a lot to remember, but if I can learn every type match-up for every Pokemon type and use them to my advantage, then so can you.

Reborn is a little bit different nowadays then like it was in the olden days. Being a long time member, I can agree and disagree with a lot of these points:

1. I disagree with this one a lot. When I first started out, we didn't have Common Candies, but keeping an eye on the Lv Cap was important. Generally, I'd train a team of six and keep them level balanced so that I didn't use one more than another. In fact, I recommend having a rotation team of 8 instead of trying to pick six for the whole game. Florinia's Badge now raises to Lv 35 instead of 30 so you should only be close to it if you're really struggling.

2. If I disagree with anything, it would be this. While having an OU mon with a good ability, EVs, and IV is helpful, its the moveset that's most important. Moves like Baby-doll eyes and Charm may be worthless in the Metagame, but in Reborn, they can completely turn a fight around. Building strategies and choosing mons who fit your style/needs is the key to victory.

3. Yes, learn those field effects. Gym leaders will use them to their advantage, but you can easily turn the tides such as using a Psychic type on the glitch field. It's like learning about moves all over again.

4. Again, no. Most of the event Pokemon available are weak to the upcoming leader. Getting them is useful, but every Pokemon is viable at certain points. Mightyena is probably one of the best wild Pokemon early on due to its early evolution, moveset, and Moxie. Experiment and you'll be surprised what "weak" Pokemon will be your savior (mine is Arbok and Cherrim...Cherrim is awesome).

5. Training is much easier than it used to be. However, rpg experts know there are certain Pokemon who they should search for to grind. Beedrill is one of the better Pokemon to train off before Correy because its very frail and nets a ton of exp. "One-shotting" areas are also a good idea because you can gain EVs while not paying very much attention to what you're Pokemon is doing. The Grand Hall also has trainers that you can constantly rebattle which will shoot levels up very fast. Places close to healing spots are also great so that you don't have to keep running back and forth so much to grind

I also feel like you forgot the most important piece of advice:

At first you don't succeed, try, try again. The battle might feel impossible at first, but you'll start to get the feel of the opponent's team and eventually be able to overcome and win it. I've probably lost to each leader at least 5 times.

1) They are difficult to obtain at the beginning of the game later you can buy them.

2) Please go read your own post it literally says: "if you see an event pokemon grab it".

This is not true. IIRC, then it was changed in Episode 14 that all abilities cycled in a definite manner. Take Clefairy for example. It has three possible abilities: Cute Charm,Magic Guard, and Friend Guard (HA). If you were to have a Clefairy with Friend Guard and you wanted to have a Clefairy with Cute Charm (no clue why, but roll with it), it would always take one Ability Capsule. to go from Friend Guard to Magic Guard would always take 2.

On the other point, Ability Capsules are fairly easy to obtain as of Episode 15. Now, they can be rather commonly obtained via Pickup and really another tip on your list should be to have a Pickup army imo due to their usefulness.

Well, I was unaware of both of these. Though, that does save time and pokeballs searching for Pokemon that have hidden abilities.

Reborn is a little bit different nowadays then like it was in the olden days. Being a long time member, I can agree and disagree with a lot of these points:

1. I disagree with this one a lot. When I first started out, we didn't have Common Candies, but keeping an eye on the Lv Cap was important. Generally, I'd train a team of six and keep them level balanced so that I didn't use one more than another. In fact, I recommend having a rotation team of 8 instead of trying to pick six for the whole game. Florinia's Badge now raises to Lv 35 instead of 30 so you should only be close to it if you're really struggling.

2. If I disagree with anything, it would be this. While having an OU mon with a good ability, EVs, and IV is helpful, its the moveset that's most important. Moves like Baby-doll eyes and Charm may be worthless in the Metagame, but in Reborn, they can completely turn a fight around. Building strategies and choosing mons who fit your style/needs is the key to victory.

3. Yes, learn those field effects. Gym leaders will use them to their advantage, but you can easily turn the tides such as using a Psychic type on the glitch field. It's like learning about moves all over again.

4. Again, no. Most of the event Pokemon available are weak to the upcoming leader. Getting them is useful, but every Pokemon is viable at certain points. Mightyena is probably one of the best wild Pokemon early on due to its early evolution, moveset, and Moxie. Experiment and you'll be surprised what "weak" Pokemon will be your savior (mine is Arbok and Cherrim...Cherrim is awesome).

5. Training is much easier than it used to be. However, rpg experts know there are certain Pokemon who they should search for to grind. Beedrill is one of the better Pokemon to train off before Correy because its very frail and nets a ton of exp. "One-shotting" areas are also a good idea because you can gain EVs while not paying very much attention to what you're Pokemon is doing. The Grand Hall also has trainers that you can constantly rebattle which will shoot levels up very fast. Places close to healing spots are also great so that you don't have to keep running back and forth so much to grind

I also feel like you forgot the most important piece of advice:

At first you don't succeed, try, try again. The battle might feel impossible at first, but you'll start to get the feel of the opponent's team and eventually be able to overcome and win it. I've probably lost to each leader at least 5 times.

Thank you, the advice of a true veteran is always appreciated. And, although I felt like I completely forgot something too while I was doing that, I don't think that was it, but it is good advice regardless.

This post was made to help aid anyone, especially new players, and although you shot down some of my tips, you did offer some others that can help anyone who needs it, so thank you.

2) Please go read your own post it literally says: "if you see an event pokemon grab it".

Yeah, but it also says, "You'll often find that the event Pokemon is just the Pokemon you need to beat that specific gym". Again, I said often. It doesn't say grab it until the very end of that point. Yes, it's true not all will be useful at that point and time, but that's not to say they can't be useful later on. Thanks for your input, but I know what I typed.

Edited by King Jirachi

#PHANPHYSQUAD

The tips have been slightly edited with information provided during the chat as well some other small tid-bits the veterans thought were necessary. I can only hope this thread bring aid to many future players of Pokemon Reborn.

The tips have been slightly edited with information provided during the chat as well some other small tid-bits the veterans thought were necessary. I can only hope this thread bring aid to many future players of Pokemon Reborn.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts.

We are just working together to make the guide better. Not that it was bad to begin with.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts.

We are just working together to make the guide better. Not that it was bad to begin with.

Any more suggestions and I'm gonna need to change the title from 5 tips to 10 xD

I have an advice : SAVE EVERYTIME BEFORE YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING. I don't care if it's simply just a walk to the Pokemon center or before I challenge a trainer/enter a door to an unknown place, I have a habit of saving the game every 5 minutes even if I'm just casually training my Pokemons. Because you'll never know if the game suddenly crashes, and it's even more dangerous when you've just finished something huge (catching an event Pokemon, defeating a hard Gym Leader/boss)

Edited by biboo195

I have an advice : SAVE EVERYTIME BEFORE YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING. I don't care if it's simply just a walk to the Pokemon center or before I challenge a trainer/enter a door to an unknown place, I have a habit of saving the game every 5 minutes even if I'm just casually training my Pokemons. Because you'll never know if the game suddenly crashes, and it's even more dangerous when you've just finished something huge (catching an event Pokemon, defeating a hard Gym Leader/boss)

Haha. I am super paranoid with saving as well.

Especially since you can just save in the click of a button~

`

Good advice, but I've never had a problem with crashing. Besides, I'm pretty sure most people who play Pokemon and are serious about it have a habit of saving all the time anyway, especially so before something big. I've only met but one person who plays Pokemon who doesn't have that habit, and it's mainly because they have disabilities that make it hard for them to get in that train of mind to save all the time like that.