Ren (spoilers)

leocain

So now, we have a "friend"/rival on Team Xen. How long has he been a member? , And how likely is it that he would jump ship?

He seemed to be doing so for Melia's safety, but his logic doesn't make much sense, given how cutthroat they are (come on, first meeting and they send a Gyarados from hell, a species that destroys cities during temper tantrums, out for us), and their goal seems rather prone to horribly backfire.

• Veterans

He actually joined after the 4th gym, so he's a new member. There's actually more to it than the eye meets, but more will be revealed as the story goes on, of course!

my suspicion is that ren is just super salty that the mc changed the ordinance in goldenleaf before he could and joined xen in a fit of rage but... there's more to it i think :V

obviously its cuz Melia likes us better than him

To be honest, I can't really see him leaving Team Xen without help from others due to Madame X probably hunting him down for being a traitor.

I personally dont give a shit what happens to him! The kid has the personality of a brick wall. His goals and the things he does are all over the place and the only notable thing I remember well about him is pulling a metal gate out of his ass to make a roadblock for no fucking reason. When he joined team Xen I did not even care because there is almost nothing to his character amd we never know much about him besides some guy we meet sometimes.So it makes the reveal very lackluster. He shows up a few times then out the blue he is evil now. I get the feeling that the creator has no idea what to do with him but he just forces him into the plot anyway with this whole prohesy bullshit!

Edited by Greed_Demon

• Veterans

I personally dont give a shit what happens to him! The kid has the personality of a brick wall. His goals and the things he does are all over the place and the only notable thing I remember well about him is pulling a metal gate out of his ass to make a roadblock for no fucking reason. When he joined team Xen I did not even care because there is almost nothing to his character amd we never know much about him besides some guy we meet sometimes.So it makes the reveal very lackluster. He shows up a few times then out the blue he is evil now. I get the feeling that the creator has no idea what to do with him but he just forces him into the plot anyway with this whole prohesy bullshit!

The reason why he pulled out a gate was that he was afraid the MC would fix things in Goldenleaf before Ren himself could, which has been his goal for years-- He even said so before the battle with Narcissa starts! He probably got bitter of the fact that his goal has been achieved by someone else, he felt useless and angry, and therefore he joined team Xen, to carry out revenge on the MC for having snagged the glory from him. And believe me when I say that every character has their purpose to the story, as does Ren. Jan knows what he's doing with him. But more will be revealed in time, you simply have to wait. Don't jump the gun on a character that fast when there's still much more to the story that has yet to be told :V

Edited by Zumidesu

• Developers

Your feeling is wrong. There are things that go on in the background that have yet to be seen to the player. Like Zumi said, you shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story.

His switching sides is a little common of a story trope, but I can honestly say I didn't expect it. (I mean, if you can't beat them, join 'em right?) It's out of the blue nature is what intrigues me. The timing is so weird you kind of have to wonder "why?" The transition is a bit sudden as it didn't have much of a build up, but that might have been the intended effect.

Nothing against the creator of the game, but I feel like his character could've been written a little better dialogue wise. (Especially in the transition from good to bad) I understand how someone could say he felt like Ren was a brick wall. I agree to an extent, but I would use the term "one dimensional" instead. Earlier it was said that Ren pulled out a gate because he was afraid the MC would change Goldenleaf. I didn't understand why he had done that either, and I feel it could've been relayed as a message better. Of course the writer/s involved in the game understand his intentions, they are the writer/s after all and they know where they are going with his character. It just wasn't as clear to the players. It was also stated earlier that there are things going on in the background of the character that are unbeknownst to the players. To better his character, maybe the writer/s could hint a bit more that there's something going on? Just my opinion though. :)

• Developers

His switching sides is a little common of a story trope, but I can honestly say I didn't expect it. (I mean, if you can't beat them, join 'em right?) It's out of the blue nature is what intrigues me. The timing is so weird you kind of have to wonder "why?" The transition is a bit sudden as it didn't have much of a build up, but that might have been the intended effect.

Nothing against the creator of the game, but I feel like his character could've been written a little better dialogue wise. (Especially in the transition from good to bad) I understand how someone could say he felt like Ren was a brick wall. I agree to an extent, but I would use the term "one dimensional" instead. Earlier it was said that Ren pulled out a gate because he was afraid the MC would change Goldenleaf. I didn't understand why he had done that either, and I feel it could've been relayed as a message better. Of course the writer/s involved in the game understand his intentions, they are the writer/s after all and they know where they are going with his character. It just wasn't as clear to the players. It was also stated earlier that there are things going on in the background of the character that are unbeknownst to the players. To better his character, maybe the writer/s could hint a bit more that there's something going on? Just my opinion though. :)

It shall be done.

Edit: To clarify, Ren closed the gate off to Goldenleaf because he knew they were terrible people. Although he knew that the MC could change them easily. He did not want this. He was determined to do that himself. When the player defeats Narcissa so easily (in the canon, not your playthrough :P.), he was embarrassed and made a fool of. In his text he is almost speechless with disbelief. Most of all, he was angry. Angry at himself that he wasn't strong enough to turn off the ordinance of isolation himself. He had let a stranger do the job he swore he would complete.

I'll definitely make this more clear in v6.

I honestly thought that Aelita would join Team Xen because of the "rehabilitation" she was forced to undergo. I felt sad for her too :( good work on that one Jan. Yeah I admit that Ren switching sides was a bit sudden but honestly I didn't see it as something impossible. We don't even know him that well and every time we meet, we end up one-upping him so we're hardly friends. The only people he cares about are probably Venam and Melia (probably has a thing for her), and maybe his mom and a few others. The way I see it you're definitely not on that list.

Ren probably has his reasons for joining Team Xen, and they were probably good reasons too.

The reason why he pulled out a gate was that he was afraid the MC would fix things in Goldenleaf before Ren himself could, which has been his goal for years-- He even said so before the battle with Narcissa starts! He probably got bitter of the fact that his goal has been achieved by someone else, he felt useless and angry, and therefore he joined team Xen, to carry out revenge on the MC for having snagged the glory from him. And believe me when I say that every character has their purpose to the story, as does Ren. Jan knows what he's doing with him. But more will be revealed in time, you simply have to wait. Don't jump the gun on a character that fast when there's still much more to the story that has yet to be told :V

Being jealous of me over a town would be better if we know what the town or its people meant to him personally or his history with the in his words "junk town". Joining team Xen over that just contradicts what he was doing before. And if he really cared he would have joined me in saving it seeing as I always kick his ass. After I fought ghost lady I talk to Ren expecting an explanation for his behavior and forcing me to backtrack and give some hint of a character and I dont get a damn thing. Even if there was stuff in the background I dont see it wont matter because Ren is a one dimensional character who we dont know so the impact is lessened adding to the fact that Jan didnt even try to write good dialogue for him to make us care for the little bastard. He has no likes or dislikes or even a damn favorite color.He is such a wooden character that he blended in with the tiles of the ghost gym. Its sad because I expect a character who we meet very early in the quest to be good but he is not fleshed out at all while the characters that come later like Venam get the lions share of the development and Ren is supposed to be a big player in the plot! So im not jumping the gun im telling it like it is!

Edited by Greed_Demon

• Developers

Being jealous of me over a town would be better if he we know what the town or its people meant to him personally or his history with the in his words "junk town". Joining team Xen over that just contradicts what he was doing before. And if he really cared he would have joined me in saving it seeing as I always kick his ass. After I fought ghost lady I talk to Ren expecting an explanation for his behavior and forcing me to backtrack and give some hint of a character and I dont get a damn thing. Even if there was stuff in the background I dont see it wont matter because Ren is a one dimensional character who we dont know so the impact is lessened. He has no likes or dislikes or even a damn favorite color.He is such a wooden character that he blended in with the walls of the ghost gym. Its sad because I expect a character who we meet very early in the quest is not fleshed out at all while the characters that come later like Venam get the lions share of the development and Ren is supposed to be a big player in the plot! So im not jumping the gun im telling it like it is!

Which is my mistake of not writing him better, and will be remedied immediately. However, for future reference, remember that the game isn't finished and can be polished on the way up. Just saying "The creator has no idea what he's doing with so and so" is destructive criticism. What you pointed out before was unfortunately true, but adding that last comment was unnecessary and added nothing. Even it was "telling it like it is." It gives me nothing to work on.

Which is my mistake of not writing him better, and will be remedied immediately. However, for future reference, remember that the game isn't finished and can be polished on the way up. Just saying "The creator has no idea what he's doing with so and so" is destructive criticism. What you pointed out before was unfortunately true, but adding that last comment was unnecessary and added nothing. Even it was "telling it like it is." It gives me nothing to work on.

sure thing! Also while were on the subject on polishing up I say you axe that ranger bitch at the lab. I dont even know her name because unlike Ren who does shit for the story and is one dimensional at best this bitch has no dimensions! she has the personality of sand paper! Her job can be easily replaced by a generic scientist working at the lab. I think we only see her twice or three times and its few and far between and adds NOTHING to the plot or anything! And all she does is be a EXP punching bag. Her main pokemon is overshadowed because we already have a talking Braxian. Just get rid of her because she is just a waste of pixels! If she is doing something for the plot later please do something about her!

• Developers

sure thing! Also while were on the subject on polishing up I say you axe that ranger bitch at the lab. I dont even know her name because unlike Ren who does shit for the story and is one dimensional at best this bitch has no dimensions! she has the personality of sand paper! Her job can be easily replaced by a generic scientist working at the lab. I think we only see her twice or three times and its few and far between and adds NOTHING to the plot or anything! And all she does is be a EXP punching bag. Her main pokemon is overshadowed because we already have a talking Braxian. Just get rid of her because she is just a waste of pixels! If she is doing something for the plot later please do something about her!

LOL.