Required moves.

Courtesy

I'm requesting vague spoilers.

Is there any times where I am required to have a pokemon in my party for a gym, that I otherwise might not want to?

Like a Gym, or battle like the Arceus one I hear so much of, I can only get to via Surf, or otherwise, would force me to change my team because of a move that is required (not recommended, literally required) to access the area?

Well, a battle with mewtwo requires you to have a Pokemon with surf, then Terra is right after, but you can turn around when you enter her room and change your teamback to how you want it. That is.. if you are talking about before episode 15 >.>

presumably, this encounter is managable with effectively a team of 5? Or do you need to somehow keep the pokemon in question competitive too? Would make me a bit sad for my bug-type roleplaying.

presumably, this encounter is managable with effectively a team of 5? Or do you need to somehow keep the pokemon in question competitive too? Would make me a bit sad for my bug-type roleplaying.

You can do just fine with 5. A bonus: HM moves can be forgotten on the field, so you can simply teach them to one of your mons, use them immediately, then swap them with their standard move (from another TM).

Which will be a great boon: presuming I am actually using a TM move on the pokemon I need to use an HM with x_x

Either way you still get to cut down the tree xD