RU Showcase V2.

Chase

We're BAAAAAACK~

Before I begin to expound on the next few RU Pokemon that's crossed my mind. I want explain the reasoning behind this list being updated. I like to keep my versions in ONE thread - for all to gander at, and I would only jump to a new thread if the meta is changed and the older thread has fallen off the second page.

Check. Check. Let's begin anew.

Today's Pokemon is FLYGON.

Flygon_v_2_by_Xous54.png

Remember when I said we had a changed Meta? There's a new thing you need to know about RarelyUsed. DragonSpam. Previously, Flygon (then an UnderUsed reject-mon only used by fans of the mon itself.) would have been having to contest with Slurpuff, Whimsicott, Mega-Abomasnow, and so on here in RU. Flygon, Noivern, and potential quickban Kingdra flipped spots with the previous checks, leaving Aromatisse as the only fairy left to contend with the large offering of Dragon types. Sneasel would be able to assist - except with this Pokemon.

Flygon's niche use in UnderUsed was simple. It would use it's decent speed and some help from a choice scarf to scout, gather chip damage, and either do some considerable damage to slower Pokemon in the form of Outrage and Earthquake. Whether or not Flygon will see MORE sets in RU is to be seen, but the Pokemon -does- get access to DEFOG, providing RarelyUsed another offensive Defogger alongside Shiftry.

Flygon's bugger set would be to run something along the lines of this:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

- Earthquake

- Outrage

- U-turn

- Defog

Defog is a fantastic move for a Pokemon like Flygon, who not only resists Stealth Rock Damage but also is completely immune to other hazards thanks to Levitate. Unfortunately, in UU anyway, Flygon had to be relagated to a choice scarf in order to effectively defog those hazards away, which will bring a lot of switching. However, that same Scarf allows Flygon some offensive presense in RU. Steel type Pokemon resist Outrage, but if the Flygon user goes for EQ instead, Flygon wins the match-up. Outrage is extremely viable in RU over Dragon Claw due to the severe lack of choice in Fairies, and both STABs allow Flygon to clean up and finish a game for you.

Flygon was one of my favorite Pokemon in Generation 3. It's not a "psuedo-legendary" so it doesn't come with all of the snobby titles and expectations. It's typing is fantastic offensively (if atrocious when contending with Ice Beam defensively.) and it's design was always really cool. Dragonflies are pretty cool in my opinion, and I don't like most insects...let alone animals in general. Flygon is a Pokemon that hopefully can find a place it can call home after roughing it in UnderUsed as of late.

Because of the timing of this post, there are not viability rankings -yet- for Flygon in RU.

Good teammates: DragonSpam cores enjoy having Flygon as a Scarf presence that can be used to outspeed faster threats in the tier. Additionally, pokemon such as M-Camerupt can take any Ice type attacks aimed at Flygon and dish out powerful fire type moves boosted by Sheer Force. Eelektross and Cobalion can form Volt-Turn cores with Flygon, and Jolteon can get rid of pesky water types.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a Defensive Flygon set can work as well. I don't know the exact EVs to use for RU, but I think a set of Earthquake, Roost, Defog, and Fire Blast or Dragon Claw can work to act as a great support. U-Turn is also a cool option to act as a pivot.

I don't know how well it would do in RU though, but I have used a defensive flygon in OU, and it occasionally does work.

Today's (5/7/2015) RU Pokemon is Scrafty.

hood_scrafty_by_toyspence-d5iim15.png

Scrafty literally was outclassed by every other Fighting type in UnderUsed until last weekend. The Pokemon has some redeemable qualities, but it's initial poor speed and less-than-desirable initial attack stat got swamped in the tier and it's niche use didn't do enough to sell it. Other things that were a deterrent to Scrafty were Fairies and being outbulked by several things at the top of the tier.

RarelyUsed now has very little fairy presence, and isn't as abundant in choice of other bulky Pokemon, offering Scrafty some wiggle room in it's new home. It's ability Shed Skin allows it's Dragon Dance set to overcome a normally crippling burn so long as it's great defenses hold. You could go for Bulk Up as well. Fake Out offers Scrafty priority if you want it, and the choice between Shed Skin and Moxie may actually be a decision if one thinks they can clear the way for Scrafty to get Moxie boosts. Perhaps the Hoodlum Pokemon has a home here?

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

This set was Scrafty's most threatening set offensively in UU, and after personal use, can actually cause some damage in RU. Dragon Dance allows Scrafty to pick up the pace and boost it's attack to threatening levels. High Jump Kick (or Drain Punch for sustain) works as Scrafty's Fighting STAB and can proceed to crush souls or break spirits. Knock Off removes items and works as a secondary STAB for Scrafty, allowing it to also cause decent damage, and Poison Jab takes down Aromatisse and Virizion without problem after Dragon Dance boosts.

The DD set can be run with Leftovers for gradual recovery, A Life Orb for damage, or a Lum Berry to further re-enforce Scrafty with status shedding and preserve sweeps.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest

This set makes use of Bulk Up to make Scrafty a defensive nightmare. Shed Skin pairs nicely with Rest, allowing the Pokemon to wake up earlier than usual. Bulk Up raises Attack and Defense 1 stage. Knock-Off and Drain Punch aid with sustain and opposing team crippling, as well as serve as Scrafty's damaging stabs.

Scrafty also gets access to two other GREAT abilities in Intimidate (which cripples other Pokemon's attack stat) and Moxie (which boosts attack after fainting an opponent) - leaving the possibility for a Fake-Out + 3 Attack AV Moxie Scrafty....an available option...if I were to allow my innovation juices to flow. It's so corny it just might work.

Again, no rankings yet. This thing just..sucked in UU though, if you want outdated viability.

Team Support: Scrafty appreciates the help of Priority users, such as fellow dark types Shiftry, Houndoom, and Sneasel. Those four in particular make up a quite unique DarkSpam core if type spamming is something you like using. Scrafty may also appreciate help with Physical walls, so things like Delphox or Clawitzer may be something you could employ. A team mate I haven't used yet but may recommend for balance teams with Scrafty would be Registeel, which takes on Aromatisse and can Thunder Wave the opponents team into being slow enough for Scrafty to sweep.

Today (May 7th, 2K15), I discuss what I can finally be certain -IS- a RU Pokemon, Mega Camerupt

10410166_10205002678645801_8451202690701

You know what I look for more often than not in a Mega? The ability to just go mega and absolutely destroy stuff. My all time favorite (Gallade) and runner up (Charizard-Y) are amazing at doing lots of damage without set up. To me...that's what Mega Pokemon should just be able to do in all cases. This former NU heavyweight is now "firmly" in the RarelyUsed tier, and it's about damn time.

This Pokemon has a striking similarity with Yzard. It's a special attacking wallbreaker that utilizes Fire Blast as it's primary STAB. It differs in secondary STAB however. Ground is another phenomenal offensive type, and Camerupt gets access to the best special move you could hope for in Earth Power on that account. Camerupt gets boosted Fire Blast (like Yzard) from it's ability - but instead of it just being Fire type attacks with the sun up, Earth Power gets a hefty raise in power as well due to the ability 'Sheer Force' - making this thing able cause damage to a LOT of opposing threats. It gets access to Stealth Rock, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp as utility moves that you can throw on a Tank set, or you could go full offensive with moves like Ancient Power to knock down birds that are immune to Ground and resist Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Grass that can do some serious damage to Gastrodon and Seismitoad (another NU prodigy that's moved up.) on the switch. Aside from hazard set up and status passing, Camerupt has the ability to block Volt-Switch thanks to it's immunity to electric type attacks. - something that Yzard definitely CAN'T do. Also, It's dual typing means that it can't be Thunder-Wave'd (although it's already slow) -OR- Will-O-Wisp'ed (although it's a Special Attacker.)

Let's get down to the bread and butter RU set - The Juggernaut.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This set allows Camerupt to take hits and dish out Sheer Force boosted punishment from it's STAB attacks. It's bulk can ensure it gets Stealth Rocks onto the field to support your team and make it's uninvested attacks more threatening. Toxic is a form of residual damage that further makes this set viable.

Mega-Tank-Camerupt is a force in the tier, able to check Delphox and make the most of it's bulk in order to put dents in the opposing team. Mega Camerupt's presence can open up the way for sweepers based on it's raw damage output, while still being a wall-focused mon in this instance.

This set is my favorite - the Battering Ram

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power Grass

With fully invested Special Attack, Camerupt has the ability to take SOULS. Fire Blast and Earth Power are going to annihilate a LOT of opposing pokemon. Ancient Power has the chance to give Megarupt a stat boost in everything, and checks airborne foes, while Hidden Power Grass, assuming it's well timed, can rid Camerupt of a potential check.

Camerupt was listed as an A rank viable Pokemon in RU prior to the tier shifts. It faces trouble from Flygon in particular, who is immune to Earth Power and resists Fire Blast - while most likely getting hammered with Earthquake in return. Kingdra would be able to put this Pokemon down as well - but the jury is deliberating a quickban in this instance. Supposedly.

Team Options: Mega Camerupt appreciates support in order to sweep itself, but mainly would like some sustainability. Alomomola and Aromatisse are fantastic Pokemon to pass Wish support to MegaRupt. Again, I would recommend Registeel on a team, especially with WallbreakerRupt, in order to slow down the opponent with T-Wave. Set-Up sweepers such as Virizion, Shiftry - and Life Orb attackers such as Jolteon are great for removing water types. Megarupt appreciates water type support to clear ground types as well.

Today (May 9th) we may go doubleheader - We're starting with Tyrantrum

anicient_monster__tyrantrum_by_grace_of_

Tyrantrum is a "great potential" sweeper. It's unique Rock/Dragon typing and ability 'Strong Jaw' make for a Pokemon that piques interest - and with the right care being taken during team building the T-Rex Dragon can definitely find the broom here or there. Before I critique this Pokemon, it should be known that my experience as it's trainer has been rather painstaking. This is due to a speed stat that absolute NEEDS to be boosted in order for Rexy to even think about cleaning up, along with a movepool that outside of it's vast array of Strong Jaw boosted coverage moves, isn't entirely glamorous. Often, you will hear people say "Go with Head Smash" - which I feel is counterproductive to how Tyrantrum is supposed to be used. My bias against Rock type offensive Pokemon aside (Can ANY of my attacks just be 100 percent accuracy and not suck in some way....) Tyrantrum definitely -CAN- clean house with a little help from it's friends. It's coverage, in as few moves as it has, is pretty excellent, and it's great defense stat means it can take some hits.

'Strong Jaw' works with several moves for Rexy to pick from. The best one by far is 'Ice Fang' which allows it to do considerable damage to opposing Dragon types over it's best available Dragon STAB (Dragon Claw) - It also gets Thunder Fang, Poison Fang, Fire Fang, and Crunch - possibly the best bite attack in the game. With Stone Edge and Earthquake one could opt to go for the EdgeQuake combo with Ice Fang - which leaves your last moveslot up to the necessary set-up slot. You have Dragon Dance, Rock Polish, and Hone Claws to work with here. It would seem like, if you want coverage, that Dragon Dance is your best bet.

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

This set focuses on allowing Tyrantrum to get an assured boost. The Lum Berry allows Rexy to Dragon Dance in front of a will-o-wisper - which absolutely ruins this thing's day. Stone Edge is the best move in the tool-belt for sweepers that don't want to be taking too much recoil. Earthquake pairs up with Edge and allows Tyrantrum the ability to hit the field quite hard, along with Strong Jaw Ice Fang to dispatch of opposing dragons and grass types that resist EdgeQuake -and- threaten Tyrantrum. This set can be devastating if your team support can eliminate special attackers and bulky status passers, clearing the way for Rexy to devour the rest of the opposition.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang

-THIS- set is much more friendlier to players like -me- who don't have time to be so calculated throughout the match. This Tyrantrum set outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame (although it won't beat opposing scarfers). Again EdgeQuake hits the field for neutral damage, while Ice and Fire fang rid you of grass, dragon, bug, and steel types. This particular set appreciates Stealth damaging hazards of some kind being set up, as well as wallbreakers to make it's avenging job much easier.

Tyrantrum is a menacing A+ viability...or...-was- prior to the tier shifts. It's coverage can be too much to handle and if it's able to set up, it -can- single handedly win you a match from 3 Pokemon out.

Team support should come in the form of hazard setters, special walls, and cleric/healing wisher support. Aromatisse, Alomomola and Mega-Audino provide reliable status and heal control for Rexy. Grass types such as Amoongus and Tangrowth are decent mons to take water and ground type attacks aimed at Tyrantrum and Rexy can cover for those Pokemon with EdgeQuake or...Head Smash if you're into that sort of thing....VoltTurners are good mons to safely bring out Tyrantrum into a favorable match-up, such as Cobalion and Eelektross.

You can post that set yourself if you want in your post - I wasn't aware that Rock Head was confirmed ever, and Smogon has no mention of the set at all.

The Rock Head/ Strong Jaw argument would come down to preference.

If I were to use Rock Head (and I probably will for posterity) I'm thinking a set like this.

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry/Leftovers

252 Attk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

- Dragon Dance

- Head Smash

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

...with other options being Return/Frustration, or one of the Fang moves if you absolutely need coverage. Personally, I think Strong Jaw allows the coverage moves to hit harder and makes using Rexy less of a dry experience. However, if you're into spamming Head Smash, Rock Head is the best ability EVER in that regard.

What about a defencive set with stealth rocks and dragon tail? Fairies may think they can block your shufling, but this thing gets a strong jaw boosted poison fang that has a chance to 2HKO a max invested defence aromatisse even without stealth rocks damage! I haven't much experience in RU yet, but I find Tyrantrum better for the shuffling job than Druddigon.

What about a defencive set with stealth rocks and dragon tail? Fairies may think they can block your shufling, but this thing gets a strong jaw boosted poison fang that has a chance to 2HKO a max invested defence aromatisse even without stealth rocks damage! I haven't much experience in RU yet, but I find Tyrantrum better for the shuffling job than Druddigon.

Eeeeeh. Tyrantrum is very very slow, and not as able to take a special attack as Druddigon is, meaning Druddigon is built defensively to do the job better from the get go.

Secondly, Druddigon has Rough Skin, an ability that allows it to rack up damage of physical attackers while phasing, which helps speed the process up. If you throw a Rocky Helmet on top of that rough skin it's essentially a Ferrothorn with Phasing ability.

You also could go Sheer Force and get a boosted Gunk Shot to put the same poison type pressure you would get from Strong Jaw Poison Fang on opponents, trading a little accuracy for better damage.

Finally, Druddigon has an attack stat of 120, only one point lower than Rexy's 121, meaning the Dragon Tail damage is not much better for Tyrantrum than it would seem.

Nevertheless you could go

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers

252 SpD / 252 HP / 4 Def

- Stealth Rock

- Dragon Tail

- Poison Fang

- Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Today (Happy Mother's Day - May 10th) We'll be discussing Regular Houndoom

houndoom_by_mudora-d5xuq6a.jpg

If you had to take a guess at the next RU suspect text for UnderUsed, this thing might be it. Sans Houndoominite, Houndoom is the top dog, sporting an S-rank in RU. It's Dark/Fire typing makes for a great offensive presence backed up by it's ability to be run mixed (90 Attack, 110 Special). This thing can run a variety of roles for many teams, and it just looks menacing. There's nothing to not like about this Pokemon. Your opponent will always have some sort of check for it however, so it's not good enough to be it's own army - but it's skilled enough to be the centerpiece of your team by a landslide.

Houndoom get's a fantastic set up move in Nasty Plot, which allows it's Special attacks to go up 2 stages and immediately should make opponents beware of the dog. Utility-wise, Taunt and Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple set-up sweepers and physical attackers, while Destiny Bond allows Houndoom to take a troublesome 'mon down with it for the sake of the team. On the special side of it's offense, Houndoom can employ Fire Blast and Dark Pulse to cause harm to MANY Pokemon in the tier, and round it out with Hidden Power Grass to deal with Seismitoad and Gastrodon on the switch. Physical attacks that you can throw on a mixed set are Sucker Punch, giving Fido a priority STAB 80 base power attack, Pursuit, allowing Houndoom to punish switching out Psychic type Pokemon like Bronzong, and Crunch - a reliable STAB. Houndoom's ability Flash Fire allows it to come in on a Delphox Fire Blast for free and immediately pressure the Vulpine Witch in return, providing teams with Fire type immunity in the process. Houndoom is a jack of many trades.

The Cleaning Lady

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

This set allows Houndoom to sweep the opposing team while winning the set-up battle late in the match. Nasty Plot is the crux of the set, allowing Houndoom to cause massive amounts of damage. Fire Blast and Dark Pulse hurt a majority of the metagame for neutral damage, and Taunt stops Fido from being Toxic'd, or opposing set-up moves from getting off. Speed and Special Attack are maximized to allow for Houndoom to go hard and go fast.

The Warden

Houndoom @ Life Orb
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

This set utilizes Houndoom's ability to be a mixed attacker and is centered around trapping the opponent. Hasty allows for Special Attack to not be hindered by nature. Pursuit punishes those who try to switch out. Sucker Punch nails Pokemon trying to fight back, and Crunch is a safe STAB to use on Pokemon Houndoom outspeeds. Fire Blast provides a powerful secondary STAB.

Houndoom also has the ability to avoid getting burned thanks to it's Fire typing - which makes this set more viable than it would be for other well known trappers like Bisharp in Tyranitar in OverUsed.

With regards to Team Support, Houndoom would appreciate hazard removers like Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, Shiftry, Skuntank, Flygon, etc. Shiftry also clears Water, Ground, and Rock types out of the way for Houndoom, as well as form a pretty neat DarkSpam core that can sport lots of priority. Rhyperior helps provide rock support and clear ground types - thus making a great partner for Houndoom. The honest truth about good Pokemon like Houndoom is that they can be a little centralizing. Doom works well with many Pokemon in RarelyUsed.

I feel like throwing up another one because these are starting to get fun. Gastrodon.

gastrodon_by_palulu-d6c16mf.png

Gastrodon has a very decorated past since it's introduction in Gen 4. It's 'Storm Drain' ability not only provided a solid counter against Rain teams, but it also has solid defensive typing. Gastrodon served among the OU ranks for as long as rain would remain a constant - until Generation 6 that is, when weather was nerfed to a 5 turn limit. Storm drain not only provides an immunity to water type attacks, but also raises it's Special Attack - providing it with a little bit of offense in it's own right. Today, Gastrodon resides in RarelyUsed, and it's all of it's defenses are on the table - allowing it a spot on many defensive teams amongst a variety of Pokemon.

Gastrodon isn't known for hitting anything terribly hard so much as it is being bulky. It's Water/Ground typing makes it very intriguing defensively, leaving only Grass as it's weak point. In terms of utility, Recover allows Gastrodon to regain health and stick around one-click and immediately, which is very nice when trying to stall out other Pokemon with Toxic. You can use Mirror Coat if you're feeling innovative to counter Special attacks, and Yawn can force switches or put something to sleep.

Offensively, Gastrodon has two great special moves in Scald and Earth Power that it will make use of. At times, when no SpAtk investment or you have enough special presense, you may want to go Earthquake over Earth Power.

The Stone Wall

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earth Power

This set focuses on throwing a physical wall onto a team that has an ability to provide a water immunity and spread Toxic. The best way to play this set is to predict an incoming water type move and come in on it, giving Scald and Earth Power a boost and providing Gastrodon the ability to fight back if need be. Toxic slowly wears down the opposing team, and Recover provides immediate HP recovery.

The Force Field

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Clear Smog
- Recover

This set focuses on even distribution and allows Gastrodon to take hits from literally anything - and is mainly hailing from the Ubers metagame in countering Kyogre. The crux of this set is the move 'Clear Smog' - which allows Gastrodon to nix any set-up the opponent may try against it. Scald is the STAB that fishes for burns. Toxic whittles opponents down, and again, Recover regains HP.

The Rain Man

Gastrodon @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

This Gen 5 relic set is one of my personal favorites - as it of course is designed to punish the opponent. Switch into a water type move, receive Storm Drain boost, and proceed to surprise the opponent with offensive firepower. This Gastrodon set is a bit more on the gimmick side of the spectrum, but it fits really well on rain teams.

Gastrodon is a Pokemon I feel was HORRIBLY underrated in the most recent rendition of the Viability rankings at C+.

Team Support: Gastrodon really doesn't like Grass types. Houndoom, Sneasel, Escavelier, Delphox, Emboar...well, anything that can put the pressure on Grass type Pokemon would make great teammates. Aromatisse and Mega Audino are excellent clerics who can use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to cure Gastrodon of status. Gastrodon works well with Pokemon that are bulky and can be a great partner on stall teams - or can fit into hyper immunity squads.

Today (Happy Mother's Day - May 10th) We'll be discussing Regular Houndoom

houndoom_by_mudora-d5xuq6a.jpg

If you had to take a guess at the next RU suspect text for UnderUsed, this thing might be it.(Even with Noivern and Scrafty ripping holes into the new meta?) Sans Houndoominite, Houndoom is A top dog, sporting an A- rank in RU. It's Dark/Fire typing makes for a great offensive presence backed up by it's ability to be run mixed (90 Attack, 110 Special). This thing can run a variety of roles for many teams, and it just looks menacing. There's nothing to not like about this Pokemon. Your opponent will always have some sort of check for it however(Like NOIVERN?), so it's not good enough to be it's own army - but it's skilled enough to be the centerpiece of your team by a landslide.

Houndoom get's a fantastic set up move in Nasty Plot, which allows it's Special attacks to go up 2 stages and immediately should make opponents beware of the dog. Utility-wise, Taunt and Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple set-up sweepers and physical attackers, while Destiny Bond allows Houndoom to take a troublesome 'mon down with it for the sake of the team. On the special side of it's offense, Houndoom can employ Fire Blast and Dark Pulse to cause harm to MANY Pokemon in the tier, and round it out with Hidden Power Grass to deal with Seismitoad and Gastrodon on the switch(I have quite literally never seen this .-.). Physical attacks that you can throw on a mixed set are Sucker Punch, giving Fido a priority STAB 80 base power attack, Pursuit, allowing Houndoom to punish switching out Psychic type Pokemon like Bronzong, and Crunch - a reliable STAB. Houndoom's ability Flash Fire allows it to come in on a Delphox Fire Blast for free and immediately pressure the Vulpine Witch in return, providing teams with Fire type immunity in the process. Houndoom is a jack of many trades.

The Cleaning Lady

Houndoom @ Life Orb

Timid Nature

- Nasty Plot

- Fire Blast

- Dark Pulse

- Taunt

This set allows Houndoom to sweep the opposing team while winning the set-up battle late in the match. Nasty Plot is the crux of the set, allowing Houndoom to cause massive amounts of damage. Fire Blast and Dark Pulse hurt a majority of the metagame for neutral damage, and Taunt stops Fido from being Toxic'd, or opposing set-up moves from getting off. Speed and Special Attack are maximized to allow for Houndoom to go hard and go fast.

The Warden

Houndoom @ Life Orb

EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Pursuit

- Sucker Punch

- Fire Blast

- Crunch

This set utilizes Houndoom's ability to be a mixed attacker and is centered around trapping the opponent. Hasty allows for Special Attack to not be hindered by nature. Pursuit punishes those who try to switch out. Sucker Punch nails Pokemon trying to fight back, and Crunch is a safe STAB to use on Pokemon Houndoom outspeeds. Fire Blast provides a powerful secondary STAB.

Houndoom also has the ability to avoid getting burned thanks to it's Fire typing - which makes this set more viable than it would be for other well known trappers like Bisharp in Tyranitar in OverUsed.

With regards to Team Support, Houndoom would appreciate hazard removers like Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, Shiftry, Skuntank, Flygon, etc. Shiftry also clears Water, Ground, and Rock types out of the way for Houndoom, as well as form a pretty neat DarkSpam core that can sport lots of priority. Rhyperior helps provide rock support and clear ground types - thus making a great partner for Houndoom. The honest truth about good Pokemon like Houndoom is that they can be a little centralizing. Doom works well with many Pokemon in RarelyUsed.

not much to say on gastrodonnatelo

Innovation though Houndoom @ Power Herb

Timid Nature

- Solar Beam

- Nasty Plot

- Fire Blast

- Dark Pulse

Edited by blasterman4

Well, Well - looks like we got our new metagame's viability rankings in Koffing Inc. I'll take this post to try and rationalize the rankings

Noivern - S Rank

Noivern is Faaaaaaaaaaaaast. Like faster than Latios and Latias fast. In RarelyUsed, that's friggen unheard of for a Dragon type. Sneasel, M-Glalie, and Aromatisse are the last line of defense in terms of checking it, followed by Priority support. Boomburst. Hurricane. Draco Meteor. ~ Noivern's got a lot going for it.

by the way, trapper Fido -can- sniff out Noivern, under falling prey to Priority. This is nothing against Noivern- it definitely lives up to the hype.

Scrafty - A+ Rank

Outside of Cobalion and Hitmonlee - Pokemon that aren't exactly macho in comparison to the threats in UU that call themselves Fighting types - Scrafty is being given a lot of respect here. I'm not certain what set is doing the most damage, but Scrafty is a very problematic pokemon -again- due to AROMATISSE being the only outright threat to it. - and even then Poison Jab is a thing.

Flygon - A+ Rank

Smogon nailed this one. Flygon is one of the fastest things in the tier with a great typing and a Scarf. That's the one thing holding Flygon out of the S rank in my eyes. That it needs to be choiced right now. If there's any room for innovation Flygon sets, it hasn't been seen -yet-.

There's some sort of tease of normal Gallade returning to the tier on the viability rankings too. Currently it's in UU with it's Mega sitting pretty in BL.

-snip-

by the way, trapper Fido -can- sniff out Noivern, under falling prey to Priority.

220 Atk Houndoom Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 118-141 (37.9 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-snip-

If there's any room for innovation Flygon sets, it hasn't been seen -yet-.

Let's innovate, innovation is everything.

Flygon @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Claw

I really like these analysis posts of yours Hilda. They are very informative to me as I can gladly say RU is my worst tier aside from PU or Ubers. Plus it's all really well written. You go into great detail with sets and threats and I like that.

Keep it up friend :D

Tonight we'll be discussing Rhyperior.

rhyperior_by_all0412-d5et7hw.jpg

Not many Pokemon are built to do almost everything. Rhyperior however, is an exception. With an excellent 140 Base Attack stat this Pokemon has the ability to ruin several noteworthy sweepers in OVERUSED, while it's 130 Base Defense and 115 Base HP allows Rhyperior to take a take physical attacks with ease. It's ability 'Solid Rock' is one of my all time favorite abilities, and one of the very few that focus on giving a 'mon staying power. 'Solid Rock' allows Rhyperior the ability to resist super effective hits (barring Grass and Water with their x4's) better than other Rock/Grounds in general (and is much better than Reckless because Rhyperior only gets Double-Edge to use the ability with, and loses so much protection over it.)

Defensive Rhyperior has a niche in OU as a tanky Stealth Rock setter that checks many threats, and you may run Toxic on it to wear down opponents. You finish up with the nearly foolproof EdgeQuake combo or go for a decent move in Rock Blast instead of Stone Miss. Ice Punch - particularly in RU right now, is invaluable to counter DragonSpam. Megahorn is another option, able to pop Scrafty upon switching in and threaten physical Dark-types. Rock Polish speeds Rhyperior up to threatening sweeping levels, while Choice Band, Leftovers, and Assault Vest are all viable options in terms of items. Rhyperior can be a mixed bag if it wants.

A Rank - Rhyperior is a Pokemon with a lot of options - which means the opponent isn't always going to be aware of what you want to do with it exactly. This ensures a little bit of opportunity for Rhyperior to catch some pokes off guard, or catch poor attack choices that result in the Rhyperior user gaining momentum. It's going to struggle with Pokemon carrying Water and Grass coverage moves, which will almost always threaten to OHKO even if physical, and it's speed means that the opponent has a chance to provide an answer, but the up-swing and unpredictability this Pokemon can carry make it a force - It's also a Pokemon that given the right kind of support or situation, can threaten Noivern - the current kingpin of the tier.

The Survivor

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Thank you Sir, may I have another? This set takes advantage of the positives Rhyperior possesses. 44 Attack allows for Rhyperior's blows to leave some dents, while fully investing on HP and Attack bulks Rhyperior up to Phenom levels physically. Adamant nature allows further offensive support and is allowable due to Rhyperior already being slow. Stealth Rocks support your broomstick and sledgehammers, and Ice Punch is quite possibly the most viable coverage move ANY Pokemon can ask for in RarelyUsed right now. Rock Blast is MOOORE than enough in RU as it's considered the "safe" bet in a set designed to take on OverUsed threats and has the unique ability in being able to bypass Sashes (as it's a multi-strike move.), and Earthquake is the trusty secondary STAB that deals with the tier's steel types. Solid Rock brushes off EQ attempts from the opponent. Champion SR setter right here. Toxic is an option over Ice Punch if DragonSpam has other answers on your team.

Dr. Bruce Banner

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Trust me. You don't want to make THIS thing angry. Life Orb boosts this thing's already fantastic attack power -and- allows it to switch moves, thus facilitating Rhyperior as a set-up sweeper. The boosting move of choice here is Rock Polish, which will cause the 'mon to double-time it and enable it to out-speed the likes of Dugtrio and Scarfed Emboar - causing those two Pokemon to have to use Sucker Punch - a non-STAB for either of them that Rhyperior's defenses will brush off. EdgeQuake works well on the likes of a sweeper, becuase that's going to hit everything for neutral damage - and Ice Punch is going to threaten everything except Noivern (and Noivern included if you get the opportunity to Polish up again.)

The Punisher

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

What happens when you give the Hulk an infinity stone? Something like THIS. Weakness Policy over Life Orb is a FANTASTIC trick that provides the aforementioned sweeper set with oompf on top of it's speed boosting. Solid Rock kinda works like Dragonite's MultiScale would here, allowing Rhyperior to take something like Earthquake or a physical Fighting type move once the Water and Grass types are out of the way and further amplify the amount of trouble your opponent is in for attempting to use a STAB that wasn't a x4 strength. "Oops." The other boon Weakness Policy provides over Life Orb is that Rhyperior isn't taking Life Orb damage- allowing this thing's hp to stay put throughout the destruction. Neat!

Team support - if you're running the defensive set, you are going to want to look for defensive Pokemon that cover Rhyperior's weakness to water and grass type moves. Amoonguss and Virizion work well here - with the latter being able to set up and knock down threats to sweeper sets. If you are looking for other hazard users - Qwilfish and Registeel work nicely with Rhyperior to get those out. The former carries Intimidate to hinder attackers while the latter eats up any special move save for Focus Blast and Earth Power aimed at Rhyperior. A bulkier Pokemon that can also dish out pain like Rhyperior in Tangrowth is out there as well. Delphox can take out opposing grass types, while an electric type can deal with water types such as Alomomola that would counter Rhyperior.

Tonight, our special guest is Skuntank.

halloween_special_1_skuntank_by_pinkophi

Skuntank doesn't have an armory at it's disposal, but it does get access to a few neat tricks, making it one of the most unassuming RU Pokemon out there. It's viability took a hit with the fairies and Mega Abomasnow flying the coop for UnderUsed however. Nevertheless, it's a Pokemon in the tier and actually is a pretty unique one in it's own right when you take a look at it's standard set. It's access to 'Defog', 'Taunt' and 'Haze' provide it with pretty unique utility options, and STAB Sucker Punch is always a nice thing to have. It's ability 'Atftermath' pairs very well with Sucker Punch, enabling a possible knockout on a 'mon that otherwise could give your team trouble. 'Stench' - while not very reliable and is case by case- depending on 'mon speed or Sucker Punch - provides a 10% chance of flinch to attacks that don't already have a flinch chance. Skuntank is quite literally a "tank" - with the ability to hit decently hard and take a hit thanks to it's great HP stat - however it's more of a light armored tank graced by it's only being weak to Ground type moves, as it's defenses are not optimal in comparison to Rhyperior.

Offensively, you are going to want to go with physical moves. Sucker Punch is the crux of most Skuntank offensively, allowing it to take advantage of a STAB priority attack. Crunch is the power hitting option you can use safely on non-resists. Pursuit allows Skuntank the ability to trap Psychic types - which Skuntank walls. Poison Jab deals with Grass and Fairy type Pokemon and is also STAB. Skuntank is blessed with Play Rough in terms of coverage, which can possibly come in handy against dragon and other dark types.

Utilities are where Skuntank shines - most notably as a Defog user - able to remove hazards from the field. Haze is a great move that can be used to nix stat-boosts your opponent may have, and Taunt prevents any non-attacking move from being used for a few turns.

Smogon Approved

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 16 HP / 228 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Other options: Poison Jab (over Pursuit)

This tanky set looks to shore up Skuntank's unfavorable special defense stat and dish out damage with Sucker Punch and Pursuit - making Skuntank an effective trapper that also comes packed with Taunt and Defog support. Poison Jab can be used over Pursuit if your team particularly doesn't have issues with Psychic types.

The Boxer

Skuntank @ Assault Vest

Ability: Stench

EVs: 252 Atk / 126 Def / 100 SpD / 26 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Poison Jab

- Sucker Punch

- Crunch

- Pursuit

Today on 'Hilda Creates a Set that may or may not work' Hilda goes for an Assault Vest set that can be used to take advantage of causing opponents to flinch due to the extra chance given by Stench, as well as continue to work as a trapper. - SpD and Speed are tweakable stats in order to see where Stench would activate more often. You can always safely go Aftermath here and rely on damage output alone if you would like.

Looking at Skuntank's weakness, Earthquake is the biggest threat to Skuntank - which actually works out quite nicely as Skuntank provides SR removal to the ideal teammates to switch into Ground type attacks. Fletchinder, Braviary, Togetic, and other flying types. Levitate users such as Eelektross provide the same immunity and can further help clear the field by providing Volt Turn support in return.

Today, we give some credit where credit is well past due, with Reuniclus

reuniclus_by_nyobakugan-d3bvqq6.png

Finally knocking a S Rank 'mon off of the board in this brand new thread for this brand new metagame. "Reuni" has been around RU for the entirety of my dabbling in the tier, and has always been difficult to deal with. Reuniclus sports an excellent HP stat coupled with a fantastic special attack stat, making the Pokemon a tanky Psychic special attacker. That's not all though. With 'Magic Guard' - Reuniclus is able to soak up incoming Will-O-Wisps for your team's physical attackers and not feel a thing, while also ignoring things like Stealth Rocks and Spikes and being able to ignore T-Spikes and Toxic when dealing with stall-oriented Pokemon. All of that immunity means the only way to bring this thing down is by using Bug, Ghost, and Dark type direct attacks in some form - which means you need to manually take all of that HP away. Meanwhile, Reuniclus will have access to Calm Mind - allowing it to boost it's SpAtk to terrifying levels and bulk up it's special defense. The other common option would be to go for Trick Room on a team consisting of slower Pokemon that adaquately work better when the Tortoises are given priority over the Hares. Because Life Orb damage is ALSO negated by Magic Guard, TR Reuni is also a very potent threat if the TR can't be taunted away. To even further make this 'mon a star, the competing ability is 'Regenerate'-.....(ewewewwew...) ....Regenerator, which allows Reuniclus to recover a third of it's HP when switched out.

With regards to offense, Reuniclus is going to want to make use of Psychic or Psyshock for STAB - Saikick lowers your opponents Sp. Def at times, allowing it to win Calm Mind wars in some situations, while Psyshock can be used against Special Walls effectively due to it's damage being calculated by the opponents physical defense stat. Shadow Ball is an excellent coverage move that threatens Ghosties and opposing Psychic types and should be used in pretty much every set. Focus Blast hits Dark types that threaten Reuni hard - and is best used on TR and Specs sets. Worth mentioning here is Future Sight - a delayed attack that is very powerful and will nuke any non-Dark type.

Utility-wise, we've already brought up the boons Reuniclus gets from Calm Mind and Trick Room, but Reuni also gets a one-click sustain move in Recover, which fits in disgustingly well on the Calm Mind set, due to allowing Fetus-mon to almost assuredly get to +6 and blast things away with Psychic/Shock and Shadow Ball.

Calm, Cool, and Collected

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

In Rotation: Focus Blast (over Shadow Ball)

The Calm Mind set uses a 252/252/4 spread for a reason. Full defensive investment allows Reuni to take physical hits as it boosts it's special defense with Calm Mind. It's HP is maximized to further bulk up the Pokemon, and the 4 Sp. Attack investment is just a gimme as Calm Mind also raises Special Attack -and- Reuni has the stat in SPADES as it is. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are interchangeable depending if Ghosties are Dark types are your team's problem area. Calm Mind starts the party, and Recover keeps it going. Psyshock -in my opinion- should -ALWAYS- be used in RarelyUsed, as it allows Reuni to be nearly unstoppable due to Special Walls not being able to wall it.

"Turbo"

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

The Trick Room set is very simple to use and it's spread is easily explained. Because Calm Mind doesn't fit in this set, you maximize Sp. Atk instead of Defense for more initial power, while the Trick Room negates the need for physical defense. Psychic can be used here to cripple teams special defensively as you out-speed them. Shadow Ball -and- Focus Blast are available in this set, and both work wonders so long as you have the TR up - leaving the only threats being Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. PRO TIP - on TR sets you should always set your Speed IVs to ZERO on Pokemon Simulators to get the most out of the set.

The Nuclear Warhead

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

The most viable "Regenerator" set would be the Specs set. Regen allows you to come in and take a shot while firing off a Future Sight, and then switch out and find the medic. You get your standard offense moves to round out the moveset here as well.

Reuniclus can work on many teams - but it would appreciate Fighting types to come in and help clear the field of Dark type Pokemon - as well as Ghosts or Dark types to deal with Ghosts. A Fire type like Emboar works great because it can not only clear Darks away, but also pressure the Bug types Reuni doesn't have it's own weapons for - particularly Escavalier. From there, it's pretty much open ended. There is no need for hazard remove for Reuniclus as Magic Guard prevents hazards from damaging it and Webs on an already slow Pokemon don't really matter. You could go for M-Audino or Aromatisse to pass cleric support to TR variants - but Recover is an option to heal and Magic Guard doesn't allow damage to take place from status conditions, so there's not a need for Aromatherapy/Heal Bell either.

Moving right along....Eelektross

eelektross_by_scopevisionary-d5agqfy.png

Eelektross is a very forgettable Pokemon - particularly in story playthroughs due to the pain and suffering one has to go through in order to obtain one. In RU however, the Eel has a very broad coverage pool on both sides of the offensive spectrum - and also has a few tools that can lift your team to victory. The first thing to note about Eelektross is it's pure Electric typing being paired with 'Levitate' - meaning that a lone weakness is now an immunity. This makes Eelektross a semi-bulky Pokemon by default as nothing outside of Mold Breaker (very uncommon) is going to hit it for super effective damage. Next point of interest is it's offensive stats - which are both fantastic. Then you note that it's defenses are above average, allowing it to work nicely as a pivot mon if only it had the moves. Eelektross is able to learn both U-Turn -and- Volt Switch, meaning the choice to go physical -or- special is there. From here, you get to survey all of the coverage moves at Eely's disposal. On the Physical side you get things like Aqua Tail, Drain Punch, Rock Slide, Iron Tail, Crunch and Dragon Tail - two of those moves providing sustain for Eely or phasing out opponents. Special moves include Giga Drain, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon, and Signal Beam. Standard Electric type attacks such as Thunder Punch, Wild Charge, Thunderbolt, Zap Cannon apply for STAB. Finally, you note that Eelektross gets access to a very neat set-up move in Coil, which increases attack, defense, and accuracy. If you like offense, Eelektross is like that chinese buffet in your town. Giving you all the choice you could possibly want.

B Rank - Eelektross' speed is a major concern - and while it's defenses are nice, Choice Band users are a particular threat to anything Eely would want to pull off. However, I feel like a small part of Eelektross' ranking is oversight of just how much this thing can actually do. Sometimes, people are not going to agree with Smogon as far as viability is concerned, but that's okay here.

The Noob Tube

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Other Options: Thunderbolt over Knock Off

This set is the Smogon Approved Special Pivot set - most notable for being bulky and for having great coverage. Giga Drain is a fantastic move to use against Pokemon like Gastrodon and Seismitoad who may try to come in on a predicted Volt Switch. Flamethrower roasts Escavalier particularly, as well as pressures Grass, Bug, and Steel types. Knock Off removes items and gives Eely multiple roles early game. Thunderbolt can offer more of an immediate threat to things such as Alomomola and Flying types. The goal of this set is to slow turn into other threats when possible, as well as catch certain Pokemon off-guard due to it's great plethora of coverage.

Hit and Run

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Thunder Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Drain Punch

Same general premise as the Smogon Pivot set, making use of Eelektross' Attack stat instead. U-turn enables the slow-turn. Thunder Punch functions for STAB. Aqua Tail deals with Ground types that may switch in - noteably wailing on things like Mega-Camerupt HARD. Drain Punch catches Steel and Rock types and offers sustain like Giga Drain would in the special set. Adamant allows this set to hit harder, capitalizing on using the superior stat.

"There's always a bigger fish" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Eelektross @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Coil
- Wild Charge

Options: Thunder Punch over Wild Charge; Life Orb over Lefties. - Rock Slide and Iron Tail

If you want to use Eelektross to sweep, the best way to do that would be to take advantage of access to 'Coil' - a move that boosts Attack and Defense, as well as accuracy enabling things like Zap Cannon to work more often on Mixed sets-..oh, Physical Sweeper - Rock Slide and Iron Tail to hit more often. After a couple of Coil's, Eelektross' lack of weaknesses -really- begins to be felt by the opponent as they struggle to damage you with physical attacks. Aqua Tail wallups normal immunity to electric attacks after the boost, Wild Charge absolute hurts, and ...well....It's going to be very difficult to take down Eelektross unless you have Escavalier, Choice Banders, or Druddigon/Aromatisse on your team.

Priority support - particularly Bullet Punch - makes things like NU Hariyama and Medicham GREAT teammates for dispatching Aromatisse and Druddigon. Aromatisse also works well -with- Eelektross to serve as a much needed cleric in case of burn or poison - along with Alomomola. If your Eelektross doesn't have Knock Off, Knock Off support rids opponents of choice bands that would really dent the Pokemon and prevent it from setting up coil or working as a long standing pivot.

Replacing Mega-Abomasnow for Ice Mega of RU is Mega-Glalie

glacia_by_zacharybla-d83thmu.jpg

Glalie is the highest ranked RU mega along with Mega-Steelix at A+. This Pokemon has a great stat spread for offensive teams, with excellent 120 Attack and Special Attack and decent 100 Speed, and 'Refrigerate' enables any normal type moves in the move-pool to become Ice type attacks - including Double Edge, Return, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam, and most noteably - Explosion, meaning you can nail more Pokemon with it - including Ghost types. With access to Spikes, Glalie can work as an offensive hazard setter, forcing switches to get out the spikes with no consequence. Access to Freeze-Dry allows Glalie to nail Water types, particularly Seismitoad, Gastrodon, and Quagsire for x4 super effective damage. With access to Ice Shard, Glalie can act as a revenge killer wielding priority that hurts newcomers Flygon and Noivern for x4 SE damage. If coverage is something you are looking for, Earthquake, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Weather Ball, Shadow Ball, and Signal Beam are there for deployment.

The misconception with Pokemon like Glalie and Banette is that their Megas are disposable, therefore making them useless. Glalie and Banette have large amounts of offensive presence even when not using Explosion/Destiny Bond and both have ability move combos that are unique and useful - particularly in RU (Refrigerate + Double-Edge being the hardest hitting Ice Type move that happens to also be more ACCURATE than Blizzard, Prankster + Will-O-Wisp buying Banette time and helping it survive an attack from a faster check.) Mega Glalie is a great Pokemon and is able to finish matches itself if played with care.

The Stormtrooper

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Other options: Explosion over Ice Shard, Return over Double-Edge

At first glance, you see three ice-type moves and EQ - and it looks like poor coverage. That's where you realize that Freeze-Dry hits water types for super effective damage. To put Mega-Glalie's Freeze Dry into perspective, it can two hit KO physical defensive Alomomola - arguably the fattest fish in the tier. 252 attack and speed make the goal of this set ultimately clear though. You want to spam Double-Edge. Ice Shard allows Mega-Glalie to act as a revenge killer and also could provide Glalie a safe chance of Mega-Evolving against careless opponents, and Earthquake is used to hurt incoming steel types such as Cobalion and Registeel, who don't appreciate multiple EQs in the least. If Glalie is on an offensive team, as it should be, this moveset is very, very potent.

The Sabotuer

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Ice Shard

This set prays on Glalie's ability to force a switch to set up Spikes. It's an offensive Spiker, carrying the nuke in Explosion (which can protect it's hazards against slower removers), the priority in Ice Shard, and the spam-to-win move in Double Edge. Simple.

Macho Man Randy Savage

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Naughty Nature
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

The only -real- noteworthy thing about this set is that Smogon proclaims it to be very viable in OverUsed. It focuses on wallbreaking ability, as Freeze Dry and Double Edge will hit things very hard, and Earthquake provides great coverage. There are VERY few things that want to be on the field when Glalie goes boom in RU.

Hitmonlee works very well with Glalie, providing fast offensive spin support to keep Glalie from over exhaustion. Assault Vest Eelektross is a good slow turner that can pressure things like Delphox, that would get Glalie in cleanly. Rhyperior also can come in and take fire type attacks for Mega-Glalie. Meloetta appreciates spike support from Spikes-Glalie.

This Pokemon may have it's own PULSE machine, but in RU, it doesn't need one.... Tangrowth

tangrowth_by_it_is_a_circle-d5m4zv2.jpg

Tangrowth is an interesting Pokemon in that it can function both offensively -and- defensively. In the past, it faced stout threats from Yanmega and Moltres, now Pokemon that barely miss the cut residing in BorderLine 2. Today, it's most serious threats are Noivern and Delphox, the latter usually choiced and the former still not fond of Stealth Rock support....well, either of them are not fond of Stealth Rock support. That only works out even more for Tangrowth in terms of viability. Defensively it gets outclassed by Amoonguss, a pokemon that shares with Tangrowth a trademark tool - Regenerator. However, Tangrowth benefits from not being a Poison type and is thus able to resist ground type moves. A 125 defense makes Tangrowth along with Regenerator will give plenty of physical pokemon fits. With access to Sleep Powder (another inferior trait to Amoonguss' Spore) Tangrowth is still able to put a pokemon temporarily out of commission. Tangrowth gets access to a great offensive movepool as well, spearheaded by Knock Off , Power Whip, Rock Slide or Leaf Storm, Ancient Power, and Giga Drain depending on what type of offense you want. Tangrowth has the ability to be run mixed to mitigate being burned crippled by burns. Worth mentioning on those who attempt to run weather teams, Chlorophyll speeds up Tangrowth into a fast special attacker with great physical bulk under the sun. For the hipster Regenerator user - Tangrowth exists for you.

The most common utility move Vine Monster likes to use is Sleep Powder - which would cripple opposing checks and offensive counters such as Delphox, Braviary, and Noivern momentarily. Synthesis provides Tangrowth with one-click recovery while Leech Seed provides Tangrowth and it's teammates passive recovery. For the most hipster of the hipsters, Growth raises Tangrowths attack stats, and doubly so in sunlight. Worry Seed can be used to nix troublesome abilities, and Tangrowth has access to other low tier powder moves and Power Swap, which can swap buffs and debuffs with the opponent. Tangrowth also gets Morning Sun, a great recovery for Chlorophyll users.

Offensively Tangrowth has an armory at it's disposal. STAB options include Power Whip, Leaf Storm, and Giga Drain. Dealing with Fire and Flying types - Tangrowth can wallop them with Rock Slide or Ancient Power on the switch, the latter possibly giving Tangrowth a stat boost in everything. Other coverage options included Poison Jab, Knock Off (a proven winner), Hidden Power, Brick Break, Earthquake, and Shock Wave - On those attempting Chlorophyll, You will want Solar Beam.

Weeds

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Other options: HP Fire over Knock Off, Power Whip over Giga Drain (Relaxed over Bold)

This is the physical wall set - focusing on taking phsycal attackers out of the picture. Sleep Powder shuts a mon down. Giga Drain is used to recover HP while pressuring Pokemon weak to Grass. Knock Off is functional safe play, removing items from the opponents team as well as hurting Delphox on the switch, and Leech Seed provides the team with a forced switch or gradual recovery. The spread focuses on making Tangrowth as physically bulky as possibly, slightly buffing it's poor Special Defense. Regenerator provides 'Growth with a third of it's HP when switched out.

Kudzu

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power
- Sleep Powder

Other options: Choice Specs - Giga Drain over Sleep Powder

This set is designed to make use of Tangrowth's great 110 Special Attack stat. Leaf Storm is a move very few Pokemon are going to want to see used late. Focus Blast takes care of steel types such as Cobalion and Registeel. Ancient Power threatens Fire and Flying types on the switch, and Sleep Powder will continue to grab momentum for your team. If going Choice Specs, you may consider Giga Drain in the last spot, but careful play with either Drain or Sleep Powder will keep your opponent guessing in terms of what item or set Tangrowth has.

Mean Green Fighting Machine

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire
- Earthquake

Other Options: Leaf Storm over Giga Drain, Rock Slide, Ancient Power, etc.

The AV is a fantastic item to provide to Tangrowth, shoring up it's poor Special Defense the best while still allowing the investment where it should go. Instead of being able to use Sleep Powder however, Tangrowth is forced to go all offensive by trade-off. Thankfully, Tangrowth has an extensive offensive move-pool to experiment with. Knock Off is the biggest must on any set - as it's harassment of Psychic types and removing items from opposing Pokemon is an invaluable secondary effect. HP Fire takes out opposing bug types, and seriously injures AV Escavalier on the switch. Earthquake is an option against Registeel, a Pokemon that would resist HP Fire nicely.

Experimental Set - Chlorophyll Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Leftovers

Ability: Chlorophyll

EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk

- Growth

- Morning Sun

- Solar Beam

- HP Fire

Other Options - Focus Miss (love you, Cowtao <3)

Does this set even work? I dunno, but it sounds smart on paper. The goal of this set is to make Tangrowth a speedier pokemon with sweeping potential. Maximum defense investment allows Tangrowth to wall physical attackers as per usual. Growth mitigates the lack of Special Attack investment, and both offensives get double the boost under the sun. Morning Sun is the most effective one-click recovery move Tangrowth has, and is viable under Chlorophyll speed along with being fantastic under sunlight. HP Fire provides Growth with help against steel types. Solar Beam becomes a 1 turn spam-worthy attack. A fantastic sun setter for this set is Mega-Banette, whose ability to force a switch and access to Prankster allow it to use Sunny Day without consequence. Why use Chlorophyll over Regenerator....Some of us don't -like- Regenerator. Ok?

The biggest threat to any Tangrowth set ever is opposing Knock Off users - which brings me to postulate that any Cobalion, Physical Virizion, and Gallade make for great to decent partners going from left to right - due to the Justified boost from Dark type attacks that hit them. Cobalion also takes any Poison types aimed at Tangrowth as well as anything possibly could. Another Knock Off deterrant momentarily is Fletchinder - who will usually be going for Acrobatics and thus won't have an item to knock off. Tangrowth works well with Rhyperior to help wall physical attackers - with Rhyperior taking any Fire attack nicely. M-Audino and Alomomola make solid Regenerator cores (the former prior to mega evolution.) with Tangrowth. Sun setters such as M-Banette or Liepard help Chloro-growth. The former forcing switches while the latter is disposable and can hold a Heat Rock.

To add onto the Experimental Set

Tangrowth is a very versatile and unexpected monster as a Chlorophyll sweeper and it can also function to be both Physical and or Special thanks to Growth. This give you multiple options of running HP Ice, Fire, Earthquake, Power Whip, Facade, Giga Drain, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb, and various moves. It gives a new meaning to experiment as you can try various options to removing some pesky pokemon that tend to stomp all over Tangrowth such as Noivern, Cobalion, Amoonguss, Mega-Audino, and more. Please give that set a try. You won't be disappointed.

Alright, so, here's what I've got covered so far.

1 out of 3 S-Ranks - Reuniclus

2 out of 3 UU dropouts - Flygon, Scrafty

2 Megas - Camerupt, Glalie

1 Pivot - Eelektross

a few of noteworthy walls - Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Gastrodon

couple of Sweepers - Tyrantrum, Houndoom

a lesser-used RU mon in Skuntank

---

I kinda want to devote the next week to mons that don't get a lot of love in the tier and are only RU mons by usage Such as:

- Spiritomb

- Medicham

- Gallade

- Hitmontop

- HitmonCHAN

- Sigilyph

and I also have a few mons that I may pick from a couple of days just to stay relavent.

- Seismitoad

- Escavalier

- Bronzong

- Delphox

- Jolteon

- Dugtrio

- Durant

I do have a very important question. Typhosion and Combusken are sitting at Borderline 3, meaning rather than being "RU" Pokemon, they are moreso just banned from NU. Do those get a showcase in THIS thread, seeing as RU is the first tier you -may- use those Pokemon?