First Pokemon Experience.

Hexagoen

Well, I haven't seen this topic anywhere, soo yea, title says it all.

What was your first Pokemon experience, And what year did you start playing? What generation of Pokemon were you introduced too, was it the official games (Red, Blue, etc.)? The side games (rumble, Mystery Dungeon, etc.)? A fan game (reborn, insurgence)? Or the anime/manga of Pokemon, and if you played the games, what was your first starter?

For me, I've known the Anime of Pokemon for several years as a kid. I started playing Pokemon Pearl around 2009 (I knew nothing of Pokemon Platinum at the time.) My first starter was a female piplup named... um piplup (i didn't bother with nicknames.)

For the first few hours of the game, I was stuck in the player's house, because I didn't know that the red mat on the wall meant the exit :P

Soo, yeah...

Edited by Sinikuro013

With me I'd known about for a long time but never really gave it a second look since I was really into the Digimon vs Pokemon rivalry. Then I heard about Twitch Plays Pokemon. I watched/followed most of Red, all of Crystal, and half of emerald before I got the desire to have my own team. I mean the fans made all these fun characters with tons of lore for TPP and I wanted one of my own. I didn't have the cash to get a 3ds and that's a big investment just to try a pokemon game.

Then I discovered Pokemon Zeta/Omicron, I heard it was good so I started playing it and I loved it. This resulted in Magmortar and Lilligant being two of my favorite mon since they were my first starter and caught mons, named Trogdor and Lilly respectively. Though the funny thing is compared to the personalities, relationships, and stories I've made for my Reborn and Alpha Sapphire Teams my Zeta teams look downright cliche. But I still love them to death.

I was first introduced to pokemon when I first watched the anime and the first pokemon game I played was crystal and the starter pokemon that I picked was cyndaquil because when i was a kid i thought it was rhe most adorable pokemon ever ( and still do) and i've been playing pokemon to this day.

Edited by gamerzerek

First introduced with Red/Blue back when they originally came in '98(I was only 4~), although I didn't really start to get into the games until Gen 2 with Gold/Silver and then Crystal. For awhile, my favorite pokemon had been what I used as a team in Gold like Scizor, Lugia, Tyranitar and their like(now it's completely changed; I still like those pokemon of course, but I have new favorites like Armaldo and Weezing. ;3)

As for my first starter, well Charmander~ Chikorita's become my favorite starter though, maybe just because she's so adorable. :D

Edited by Aurorain

Got started on Pokemon Blue. Beat the game, but didn't catch Mewtwo. That was back when I was super young so don't blame me.

Watched the Anime. Had the whole 1st season in a CD pack that could flip open 3 sides. Watched about half of the 2nd season but didn't watch anymore after that.

Completely missed the 2nd generation of Pokemon games. Played Crystal like once on my cousins GBC but ignored it.

But I really got involved in the 3rd generation Pokemon. Hoenn was my hometown for me and my sister. It is the MOST memorable time of my life playing Pokemon games and I was a huge fan of them. Also played LeafGreen, but with not as much love as Sapphire and Emerald.

Skip a few years ahead, I got into Platinum really late. Didn't like it. 4th generation didn't get the same feeling as 3rd gen. Played Heart Gold, friggin' loved it.

Played BW and BW2, didn't like them. X and Y came out, best Pokemon game ever. Really brought back the FUN in Pokemon and everything felt fresh again with the National Pokedex off the bat. Finished it in I think less than 2 weeks cause it was that fun.

Haven't played ORAS yet. The 3DS is my sister's and I don't have one for myself.

I've played all the pokemon games, except for X/Y, OR/AS so far. Yellow/Red/Blue and Silver/Gold/Crystal are the ones i remember least because i was like 4-5? or so. Pokemon Ruby i remember clearer. I remember that i got ruby and my cousin got sapphire and we had a rivalry going on as to who got the better pokemon, who beat the game faster and stuff xD, that carried on to Diamond and Pearl, i got Diamond and he got Pearl. After those he stopped and i carried on alone, playing Platinum, HG/SS, B/W and B/W2. My most vivid and best experience tho was Diamond-Platinum. Gen 4 ftw :P. I played that when i was like 11-12 or so. Memories~

I would also like to add Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Of Time!! I've also loved that one too (although the chatting was a bit too long and boring), i still liked that game.

Edited by timbla

My first pokemon experience was watching it on TV, in german, not understanding anything but really liking the series

I first started playing when I was 8 or 9 , after my parents gifted me a gameboy color with pokemon crystal. I had no clue what a pokemon game was like as I had never played an RPG before , let alone a pokemon one. I didn't know it at the time, but apparently my cartridge had been a pirated vietnamese crystal version, which basically meant it had broken words and broken english and bugged in various places (youtube vietnamese crystal for reference)

And so, my pokemon adventure began with a broken english crystal version ( funny enough, I started the series with the johto saga as well) . I really didn't know what anything was, thus I ended up spending an entire hour not knowing how the flying fridge to leave my room :I funtimes, funtimes . After a very lucky accident, I somehow ended up walking into the right tile and descended the stairs! Woo! My next ordeal happened when due to broken english, I didn't know what the fridge I was supposed to do and spent another few hours wandering around new bark town, not knowing that I could get my own pokemon even... You can't imagine my excitement when I finally discovered that I had to actually pick one of the pokeballs on the table o3o and at least obtained my 1st pokemon- cyndaquil.

The story went on with the next trial. Yes, I viewed the explanation on how to catch pokemon, but at the time, I didn't understand that it was a demonstration and wondered why I couldn't catch any pokemon I wanted. Eventually after randomly clicking around the bag (after getting pokeballs), I caught my first pokemon- a sentret! From there my entire experience with the game was exciting to the point of staying up until 3am at night with a small light, trying to find and catch a hoothoot and a growlithe. I had enough times where I got stuck because the text was full of ?????????!!!!XXXXX due to the pirated version, and at certain points of the game, everything just glitched , forcing me to restart from my last save everytime. I swear, that was a challenge of its own. For example, when facing a certain trainer in the sea en route to whirl islands, that trainer's starmie or staryu would always glitch the game after using x move at y turn. Another example is when fighting Pryce, the game would always freeze and glitch when either of his seel or dewgong used aurora beam in a specific turn or order. I had to not only beat Pryce, but also develop a strategy to prevent his pokemon from using that game-freezing move at the right time :I It was really frustrating but I managed. Another instance of that was Red's snorlax, which was the most annoying part of all. I remember everything was so new to me and I had so little clue what was going on that I somehow ended up with a lv93 Typhlosion by the time I reached the powerplant part of Kanto ... and then I spent many hours trying to figure out how to find the missing part and where to even go after that o3o Yeah, it was a really unforgettable experience and If I could go back and replay the game with the same feeling as back then, I'd be so happy.

I've known about Pokemon since Kindergarten, though I merely knew various Pokemon species and not much else.

I remember I was super fond of Pidgeotto since birds were/are my favourite animals, and had some of the trading cards bc I liked the pictures.

But that was about it.

My first game was Blue; I have a sister who is seven years older than me and owned the game.

When I was... six? she asked me, out of the blue, if I'd like to play, and introduced me to how it worked.

She had already completed the game including the Pokedex, so all I really did was battle wild Pokemon, but it was still a lot of fun.

I grew really attached to Farfetch'd and Flareon.

Then uh, well... I did what annoying little siblings tend to do a lot: I ruined shit.

I started a new save file, and understandable, sis was pissed.

But she eventually decided to just gift the game to me (she'd since gotten Yellow), and so I started my own first Pokemon journey.

My most treasured team member was a Dodrio called -so very originally- Dodo Dri.

I remember how ecstasic I was when Gold and Silver got released (2001 here in Europe); a friend of mine got the game long before me, and I kept begging her to let me play a bit. She did, even though she had to keep reminding me not to leave her Typhlosion underlevelled - I was too focussed on Noctowl, haha.

And oooh boy, Espeon and Umbreon! It took me AGES to figure out how to evolve Eevee into either of them!

Most frustrating experience of my childhood. Not to mention I simply couldn't decide which one I liked more.

I've kept up with each generation religiously since then, always buying the games as soon as they came out (well, here in Germany, anyway...), and still enjoy them to this day.

Never took much of a look at fangames until this year though. That is, until my partner talked me into playing Reborn.

First game was the ruby version,got it with special ruby gameboy design and a small bag also in ruby colored. But I knew about pokemon from the start,the pokemon cards and everything related to them was really popular in my hometown. I was only 8 when I got the game so my english wasnt really that good,so I had some trouble in the start. I played that game for around 500 hours in total,just starting again and again and always a different team,trying to win the champion tittle with underleveled and underused stuff