UU Team - Competitive Battling Debut

Xiri

So I FINALLY got my Alpha Sapphire (a tad bit late to the party I know), and I became interested in competitive battling (it's all thanks to Reborn actually... but yeah I'm not going to go on about that), and decided to make a UU team.

It's my first time doing this sort of thing - so I'm going to guess that more work will be needed. Your opinions and criticism would be appreciated!

1. arcanine.gif

Windy (Arcanine) @ Life Orb

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Extremespeed

- Flare Blitz

- Wild Charge

A short-lived but he does pack a punch! Extremespeed saved me a lot due to priority, and Wild Charge is crucial for Water Pokemon like Suicune, Tentacruel and Milotic to be punished for switching in. It's a pity that the recoil from FB and WC along with Life Orb doesn't make Arcanine a long-term survivor.

2. roserade-f.gif

Fragrance (Roserade) @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Timid Nature

- Dazzling Gleam

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

- Leech Seed

I never knew Roserade could be so destructive! I tried experimenting with Choice Items but I found that Life Orb does give better results. STAB Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are awesome (I prefer Giga Drain over Energy Ball or Leaf Storm due to recovery), and Dazzling Gleam can deal with threats like Hydreigon, Scrafty and Salamence. I might get rid of Leech Seed though because I don't really use it that often. Any suggestions?

3. cofagrigus.gif

MyDestiny (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers

Ability: Mummy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA

Sassy Nature

- Trick Room

- Shadow Ball

- Will-O-Wisp

- Knock Off

Tank Number One - and I was surprised by how bulky this thing is. Trick Room benefits almost everyone in the team - as speedy threats like M-Aerodactyl, Salamence and Heliolisk seemed to be very common. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory.

4. vaporeon.gif

Shamid (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 248 Def / 204 HP / 56 SpD

Calm Nature

- Heal Bell

- Protect

- Wish

- Scald

Tank Number Two - and this thing is just nasty. Suicune and Milotic can't touch Vaporeon - and she can eat up most attacks - especially if they are special. Heal Bell is a savior that gets rid of poisons and burns from Toxic, Scald and Will-O-Wisps. Protect-Wish is an annoying combo, and Scald is awesome too. I was thinking of maybe switching Heal Bell to Toxic - but figured its better to leave Heal Bell.

5. donphan.gif

Tiffany (Donphan) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

- Rapid Spin

- Ice Shard

Semi-Tank Number Three. It's pretty much self-explanatory.

6. ampharos-mega.gif

Sunnyuri (M-Ampharos) @ Ampharosite

Ability: Static (Mold Breaker)
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 HP / 124 Spe

Modest Nature

- Focus Blast

- Dragon Pulse

- Thunderbolt

- Volt Switch

Finally, the team's Mega! It hits pretty hard - and has a wide coverage to tackle almost any Pokemon. The downside is that I can't really switch her in when it's still a normal Ampharos - because it is pretty frail and will go down as soon as it mega evolves because it is not too fast either. Should I invest more EVs in speed?

Well and that's it! I'm not sure if my descriptions are satisfactory enough though... feel free to leave any questions if you have them, and of course, opinions and appropriate criticism are always welcome! (I don't really want to switch any of my members though... but if you think another Pokemon will work better, feel free to comment on that as well) :)

Posting from phone in a moment of calm of my otherwise complicated day, so I will keep this very short. Apologies for this.

So, if you want Arcanine to be an all-out attacker, Flash Fire is a better ability, because it gives you a chance to switch in without taking damage, while making your Flare Blitz stronger.

Hidden Power Fire is better than Dazzling Gleam on Roserade, because it prevents Aggron and Forretress from switching in freely. Also consider Rest over Leech Seed: you have Natural Cure, so rest on your foe's switch, then switch out and bam, you are back at full health!

This is all for now, I hope it helps.

A tactic you can use is to poison & burn everything and then use that for boosted damage with Hex. If you replace Dazzling Gleam on Roserade with Toxic Spikes you can have entry hazard poisoning right away. If it's a special attacker, Cofag can take it and punish it. If physical, a Vaporeon with an EV spead of 252HP, 252+ Def, 4SpD can solve it.

Posting from phone in a moment of calm of my otherwise complicated day, so I will keep this very short. Apologies for this.

So, if you want Arcanine to be an all-out attacker, Flash Fire is a better ability, because it gives you a chance to switch in without taking damage, while making your Flare Blitz stronger.

Hidden Power Fire is better than Dazzling Gleam on Roserade, because it prevents Aggron and Forretress from switching in freely. Also consider Rest over Leech Seed: you have Natural Cure, so rest on your foe's switch, then switch out and bam, you are back at full health!

This is all for now, I hope it helps.

Thank you for your comments! I'm really hesitant to remove Dazzling Gleam though because like I mentioned, it hits Scrafty, Hydreigon and Kingdra really hard (and they seem to be pretty common in UU). I do have Close Combat on my Arcanine for the first two - but Scrafty is pretty bulky and Hydreigon naturally outspeeds me, so I can't really get a successful hit on them. Rest does sound like a good candidate to replace Leech Seed though. I'll try it out!

I'm not the best at competitive battling, so here's just a little thought: Maybe Morning Sun on Arcanine for recovery so he lives longer? Although it may be redundant with Wish on Vaporeon... Oh well. This team looks pretty good, though!I

I appreciate your input! I really would like to use Morning Sun... but Arcanine is just so frail that I don't think recovery will be that helpful (and like you said, I do have Wish on Vaporeon so that sorta handles that problem).

A tactic you can use is to poison & burn everything and then use that for boosted damage with Hex. If you replace Dazzling Gleam on Roserade with Toxic Spikes you can have entry hazard poisoning right away. If it's a special attacker, Cofag can take it and punish it. If physical, a Vaporeon with an EV spead of 252HP, 252+ Def, 4SpD can solve it.

Toxic Spikes + Hex Combo does sound pretty intriguing! I'll try that out too. Thank you!

One interesting concept that can be derived from that team is you can turn it into a Trick Room team, swapping out Vaporeon for Empoleon (with Rocks and Defog) then Donphan for Porygon 2 as a secondary TR setter.

Cofagrigus and Mega-Ampharos are both very potent TR sweepers and you can keep your Fire/Water/Grass core by using Vileplume in place of Roserade. Vileplume itself has a solid 110 spA and 50 speed is good under TR, it has a similar movepool to Roserade and slightly more tanky on the physical side if you're worried about Scrafty. Arcanine can be kept as a fast cleaner when everything is weakened especially with that Extremespeed it can easily pick off weakened targets, not to mention its strong coverage. As much utility as Knock Off has, it...doesnt do much damage when used by Cof, consider Nasty Plot as an alternative..........

Sorry if that sounded like you need a team change, but as your current team goes, it looks solid. Consider sleep powder over leech seed if you don't use it much, sleep is always spammable for the first poke and Roserade discourages grass type switch-ins. Mega Ampharos itself is meant to be a slow and tanky, I'll assume those speed EVs are there to let it outspeed base 60s (which includes the base 58 Scrafty if it does not invest in speed), the next speed tier you will face is a fellow Vaporeon or Umbreon at base 65 which you will then need 164 EVs...though you'll need full speed investment and a timid nature to reach the major threats in base 80s, which I think is not worth. Currently with those EVs you can outspeed up to neutral nature base 60s which is these guys: Empoleon, Scrafty, Swampert, Trevenant, Machamp, Porygon 2 (If I miss any, sorry). If none of these guys are a threat then feel free to invest everything into HP for bulk. If you really need it to outrun Aggron and Blissey then 84 EVs would be nice.

An interesting Roserade I used before was a Technician one, exactly the same EVs and items, just Magical Leaf, HP Fire (Both tech boosted) and Sleep Powder. Slude Bomb remains unchanged because it has nothing else better to use. Looks weird, but you'd be surprised how hard it can hit.

Sorry again for the long post, I'm just a teambuilding nerd, heres some ideas for you think about.