Introduction

Howdy, people of Reborn. It has been quite a while since I last posted a RMT and, after indulging for quite some time in my hipster, NU-dwelling, OU-hating mentality, I decided to give Smogon's premier tier another chance. At my conditions of course: since I first decided to return to OU, I have known I would have used a peronal favorite of mine, Wobbuffet, an often overlooked Pokemon with lots of potential and a contradictory tiering system that hinders its usage (its ability is only usable in OU, but without it the guy is as low as PU-tier). Sadly, upon first engaging in such endeavor, I was hardly succesful because, while I knew that Wobbuffet was specifically designed to make life easier for ally set-up sweepers, I had this tendence to overdo it, cramping my team with offensive mons at the cost of overall balance and consistency. And that's where Reignited'Light, AKA Destructive Skitty, stepped in: with her help, I finally managed to put together a very good crew, which is the object of today's RMT. Without further ado, here is the team:

At a glance

445.gif248.gif251.gif184.gif212.gif202.gif

While this team differs in many aspects from the one Destructive Skitty had originally made for me, the spirit remains the same: exploit the bulky ofense part of the team (Garchomp, Tyranitar, Celebi) to create occasions for Wobbuffet to safely switch in and then, once Wobbuffet is in, use it to Encore stall something into a non-damaging move, and then exploit the resulting free turn to send in either Scizor or Azumarill, set-up on the opponent's switch, and unleash hell. Each Pokemon can do much more than that of course, but this is the basic idea. Oh and, I took inspiration from Zimvader for the theme of the Pokemon's nicknames.

In-depth analysis

445.gifWrath @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Bulky Garchomp is a useful Pokemon to have. It can take a surprising amount of hits, and wear down opponents with the indirect damage provided by the Stealth Rock-Dragon Tail combo, Toxic, and the Rocky Helmet-Rough Skin combo (which makes this guy ideal to switch into physical sweepers). In theory Earthquake is the strongest STAB, but I rarely use it at all, given that this set has no offensive investiments, and only focuses on dishing out indirect damage.
248.gifGreed @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 SpA
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

This is where I completely stray away from Destructive Skitty's original build: there was a Bisharp in this spot, but I decided to run Tyranitar instead because, when you have two weaknesses to fire, it's better to have a second resistance to it, rather than a third weakness. The EV spread was made by Smogon's Damage Calculator: I set it so that I could score the KO on the most common sets of Lati@s, Talonflame, Ferrothorn and Gliscor, with Pursuit, Stone Edge, Fire Blast and Ice Beam respectively. And well, I hardly ever use this guy against anything else (the mentioned Pokemon are so common, chances are you'll see at least one in every other team you face, making it worthwile to carry a team member specifically to counter them). I picked a Nature that hinders Speed because Tyranitar is supposed to switch in a lot, so I didn't want to sacrifice either defensive stat, and the fact of the matter is Lati@s, Talonflame and Gliscor cannot be outrun without a Scarf anyway, so investing in Speed would have been kinda pointless.
251.gifEnvy @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

And this is where I need to thank Destructive Skitty: Celebi, specially with this set, is a Pokemon I would have never considered without her suggesting it. And I would have missed out on something, because this guy is amazing: fantastic status absorber, can easily stay alive, sets up on lots of stuff (with Wobbuffet further aiding this), and kills with Earth Power the Steel-types that it tends to lure (particularly Heatran). I went with Timid over Modest (as Destructive Skitty had suggested) because this team makes it easy to set-up, so yeah, when you can double your SpAtk with alarming regularity, you don't need that extra bonus that much, now do you? 0 Atk IVs to take minimal damage from Foul Play, which makes it possible for Celebi to beat many defensive Dark-Type Pokemon one on one.

184.gif Gluttony @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Do I really need to explain what this guy does? Exploit an Encore-stalled opponent to switch in, set up a Belly Drum, wipe out entire teams. Moving on.

212.gif Pride @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This guy was suggested by Red'sCharizard. There was originally a Metagross in the Mega spot, but having 3 Psychic-type mons really felt a bit redundant, also because it really exposed me to strong Dark-type sweepers like Bisharp. But I needed my Mega to be a Steel-type mon, to complement Azumarill and strike down things like Mega Altaria, so I went with Scizor: the 3 offensive moves have more or les perfect neutral coverage, Swords Dance is basically guaranteed to happen courtesy of Wobbuffet's Encore, and U-turn is not used because it kinda conflicts with the way I am planning to use this guy... I mean what's the point in exploiting a free turn to set-up, if you instantly nullify your own boosts by switching out?

202.gif Sloth @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Mirror Coat

And here it is, the star of the team. Shadow Tag, Encore and max Speed investiments mean you can switch into pretty much every Pokemon in the tier whose main focus is not Speed (from Chansey to Clefable to many many more), and Encore-lock them into a non-damaging move, providing a free switch-in for a companion. This is the main use of Wobbuffet in this team, but of course it can also revenge-kill choiced Pokemon with Counter/Mirror Coat, or play mind games with Destiny Bond. Destructive Skitty had recommended a bulkier EV spread with Tickle, but the fact is, I like Destiny Bond more, and with this set Wobbuffet is already pretty much impossible to OHKO, thus making the defensive investiments kinda redundant (and I want to take extra damage from moves, to be sure to kill back with Counter/Mirror Coat). Wobbuffet is firmly in my top five for favourite Pokemon, so I am very happy to be able to use it in a team this strong.

Conclusions

As usual, try and keep the criticism constructive, without picking fights, and suggesting solutions for the problems you point out (don't tell me "You are weak to X", tell me "You might want to use this or that to solve your weakness to X"). The importable is in the spoiler below. And once again, thank you Destructive Skitty!

Wrath (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Greed (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 SpA
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Envy (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

Gluttony (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Pride (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Sloth (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Mirror Coat

I've noticed that dark types, namely Bisharp can dent your team quite a bit, being able to hit Celebi, Metagross, Tyranitar and Wobbuffet for super effective damage. This can be solved if you keep Garchomp at high HP and periodically weaken it, but if it goes down, you'll have a lot of problems - perhaps you can try switching megas. I can recommend Mega Scizor (I will give the set at the end of the post), as it can take physical hits very well and can also deal with fairies just as effectively, so you don't lose that coverage by ditching Metagross (threats like Mega Altaria and Diancie). It can take advantage of Wobbuffet's Encore nicely by using it to set up Swords Dance and sweep with powerful Bullet Punches.

Other than that, I like the team - very well made, the Wobbuffet is a creative member that is rarely seen in OU, so it should be exciting to use.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
The given EVs allow you to outspeed OU's typical SpDef Heatran set, so you can outspeed it and hit it with Superpower - this deals with other steel types like Ferrothorn. Other than that, the moves are fairly straightforward: Swords Dance to boost attack power, Bullet Punch to deal large damage with priority and Knock Off to deal large damage to common psychic type walls like Celebi, Mew and Slowbro. You can run Roost over Knock Off if you want a bit more survivability, but seeing that you're using an Encore strategy, it would be best to carry Knock Off.
Edited by Red'sCharizard

I think there is a better EV spread if you choose to run Timid on Celebi, but I'll explain it when I get on my computer.

I had Tickle on Wobbuffet so Metagross and Tyranitar will be able to revenge kill with pursuit. Without Tickle, the team won't be as effective.

You should replace Tyranitar for a Choice Scarf Keldeo if Bisharp is a problem. Although you lose a Latias/Latios check, you are able to handle Bisharp way better. Plus, Metagross and Azumarill are fantastic checks to Lati twins anyways.

I'll edit my post if I got more stuff to say

I've noticed that dark types, namely Bisharp can dent your team quite a bit, being able to hit Celebi, Metagross, Tyranitar and Wobbuffet for super effective damage. This can be solved if you keep Garchomp at high HP and periodically weaken it, but if it goes down, you'll have a lot of problems - perhaps you can try switching megas. I can recommend Mega Scizor (I will give the set at the end of the post), as it can take physical hits very well and can also deal with fairies just as effectively, so you don't lose that coverage by ditching Metagross (threats like Mega Altaria and Diancie). It can take advantage of Wobbuffet's Encore nicely by using it to set up Swords Dance and sweep with powerful Bullet Punches.

Other than that, I like the team - very well made, the Wobbuffet is a creative member that is rarely seen in OU, so it should be exciting to use.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
The given EVs allow you to outspeed OU's typical SpDef Heatran set, so you can outspeed it and hit it with Superpower - this deals with other steel types like Ferrothorn. Other than that, the moves are fairly straightforward: Swords Dance to boost attack power, Bullet Punch to deal large damage with priority and Knock Off to deal large damage to common psychic type walls like Celebi, Mew and Slowbro. You can run Roost over Knock Off if you want a bit more survivability, but seeing that you're using an Encore strategy, it would be best to carry Knock Off.

I think there is a better EV spread if you choose to run Timid on Celebi, but I'll explain it when I get on my computer.

I had Tickle on Wobbuffet so Metagross and Tyranitar will be able to revenge kill with pursuit. Without Tickle, the team won't be as effective.

You should replace Tyranitar for a Choice Scarf Keldeo if Bisharp is a problem. Although you lose a Latias/Latios check, you are able to handle Bisharp way better. Plus, Metagross and Azumarill are fantastic checks to Lati twins anyways.

I'll edit my post if I got more stuff to say

Honestly Bisharp is not a problem, or at least, not a problem so big to justify running a counter as specific as Scarf Keldeo over Tyranitar, a Pokemon that is my main (if not the only) out to many dangerous Pokemon of the tier (for example, this team with Keldeo over Tyranitar would be weak to Talonflame). If anything, I'd rather test the Scizor suggestion, just for the sake of exploring more offensive options to run with Wobbuffet (Scizor does appear to have better synergy with Wobbuffet compared to Metagross).

And I am quite satisfied with the performances of Celebi and Wobbuffet so far, so I don't really feel the need of changing anything about them... But I will listen to more suggestions of course :)

Mega Scizor can work with this team since it has reliable recovery and good priority.
Has Destiny Bond ever worked out in certain situations when Tickle+Encore hasn't? I think Wobbuffet can benefit from another item like Custap Berry if you run Destiny Bond.

I'll edit or comment more if I have any other suggestions.

sorry for shitty suggestions. I'm not on my computer now, and I can't think of any major issues without it.

><

Edited by Reignited'Light

Mega Scizor can work with this team since it has reliable recovery and good priority.

Has Destiny Bond ever worked out in certain situations when Tickle+Encore hasn't? I think Wobbuffet can benefit from another item like Custap Berry if you run Destiny Bond.

I'll edit or comment more if I have any other suggestions.

Wait is Custap legal now? I used to run it all the time back in the day, but I thought pinch berries weren't legal in Gen 6: if they are in ORAS, I will switch to that immediately...

Custap has been released about 1-2 months ago, I believe?

It's valuable item especially on Wobbuffet since it can almost garuntee a kill safely.

Oh God this is like, the first time in 5 days that I am given good news. I'll immediately give Wobb a Custap Berry, however I won't update the OP for now: I will wait for the results of the Scizor test to do so...

Here is a slightly bulkier spread for Celebi if you still want to run a Timid nature.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot

The EV spread allows you to outspeed max speed base 80 positive natured pokemon like Gallade and Gardevoir before they Mega Evolve, and you can hit them before they hit you. You can choose to run 252 Sp ATK and 252 Speed with 4 sp def, but it won't take that much hits. (Not like it needs to, but bulk helps)

I have had a horribly busy week, but I finally found the time to update the OP. Changes include the new EV spread for Celebi, Custap as new held item for Wobbuffet, and Scizor taking Metagross' place. Thank you guys for your time! Is somebody else has anything to point out, feel free to! :)

Aren't two pokemon with Knock Off a bit redundant? My suggestion is to either replace Azumarill's Knock Off for Waterfall, or to replace Scizor's Knock off for Bug Bite. It has 60BP, doesn't switch out, gets boost from Technitian and STAB, and has same coverage. Yes, you won't be able to toss items that well, but the extra power is handy. If you worry about Ghost types, I guarantee your BP will OHKO or 2HKO them.

Aren't two pokemon with Knock Off a bit redundant? My suggestion is to either replace Azumarill's Knock Off for Waterfall, or to replace Scizor's Knock off for Bug Bite. It has 60BP, doesn't switch out, gets boost from Technitian and STAB, and has same coverage. Yes, you won't be able to toss items that well, but the extra power is handy. If you worry about Ghost types, I guarantee your BP will OHKO or 2HKO them.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 65-77 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

Well I really cannot remove Knock Off from Azu because it desperately needs the coverage. I will try removing it from Scizor for either Bug Bite or Roost...

Also the calcs on Chandelure hardly matter because, in this team, you mostly work to build a single opening to set up, and you do so when you are reasonably sure that you can then pull off a sweep: so yeah, if I see Chandelure in the Team Preview, I'll use Azu for that, I am not so stupid to use Scizor against Chandelure regardless of Knock Off...

Chandelure should be least of your concerns. Azumarill and Tyranitar are more than enough to deal with it. The ghosts you'll see used are Gengar, which is frail, Sableye, which doesn't have the time to both will-o-wisp and recover from a +2 Scizor, and probably Chandelure and Trevenant. Chandelure should be easy to address, and Trevenant cannot do anything as you dance, so you should be ok. As far as the Psychic types go, T-Tar can deal with most of them, and whatever it cannot, you can hit for neutral damage with Scizor.

Roost is a great choice, whether you go offensive or defensive. In order to use it, you might need to give some Def or SpD EVs, for it to be bulky enough to sustain hits and make more use of Roost. Otherwise, go for the coverage STAB move. Since the rest of the team can deal with hits, I'd go for the attack.

Edit: In general the team does not have many major threats. A good thing is that you don't care about hazard damage too much, and you will not be moving around. Chople is going to score you a kill with Wobbuffet, potentially a second if you play your counters and mirrors right. Tickle might let you live a bit longer, but it's not needed for a good use of Wobba.

After some further testing, I have been rather disappointed by Scizor's lack of coverage without both Superpower and Knock Off (and I also have realized that Knock Off is great when used by Scizor against other Mega Pokemon, because when the whole "eliminate held item to double base power" thing cannot happen, Knock Off actually gets the Technician bonus...). So yeah, I have ultimately decided to stick to the set suggested by Red'Charizard for the time being.

EDIT: NVM Knock Off's BP is 65. Still worth it tho.