4th Gen Shiny Showcase and...

Amethyst

• Administrators

So something not in 14.5B, I actually finished up and snuck in the custom 4th gen shiny sprites*! This way we can jump straight into 5th gen now and have it all in by the E15 release. I'll be making that topic in a few days, but in the meantime, as with the previous gen, have a peak at some of my personal favorite shinies from this round!

G08klNe.png

*woobat is now a 4th gen pokemon because i'm tired of y'all posting reports about its shiny backsprite not displaying q-q

On the subject of spriting, and while I've still got half-a-post's space blank, I want to make an offer to some individuals in the community. With Kurotsune and Jericho now additionally holding down the scripting-half of this operation, it's become apparent to me that the biggest remaining time-sink in terms of actual development, is making graphics.

I have tried to abate this issue in relation to the bulk of spriting (see above showcase- the community has been a big help!) but with anything beyond mass recolors, taking it to the public is an impractical solution. I have in the past avoided recruiting a dedicated spriter for the team and site (that includes the sprite shop too!) because no one was really up to my standards of quality. However, as Kuro has demonstrated by example in teaching Jericho to script, that's a solvable problem.

As such, as of now, I'm opening up the floor to the spriters around here.

I'd like to take on one person and have them help out each week, be it on the site or the game. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM, and include some sprites you've done- preferably work from scratch, or significant edits rather than recolours. Having contributed to the shiny threads will be a plus.

In return, I'll personally work closely with this person to help them improve as a spriter in any way that I'm able to. Since I am intending to help teach the person regardless, you don't need to be a perfect- or even a good spriter- to apply. While present ability will be a factor, I will ultimately choose based on who I feel will be an effective fit for the project's goals, which will require commitment, aptitude and interest before existing talent. I hope to be able to begin work with this person after next weekend (~3/9)

The 5th gen shiny topic will still be open to the public regardless as normal. Thank you everyone, for your support, and to anyone who might wish to take me up on this offer.

Well, just because we made the shiny doesn't necessarily mean it'll be put in the game any time soon. We work on them by generation, starting with all the Gen 1 shinies. Gen 4 happens to be the latest we completed. We have a custom shiny Mewtwo in the files, but I wouldn't expect to catch a Mewtwo any time soon. That's not to say Garchomp won't be put in sometime soon, but I wouldn't count on it just based on its shiny being made.