Delaying evolution to learn new [better] moves

zelazko

I caught shiny blue Sandchrew in the underground cave above grand staircase. He's level 27and I delayed his evolution since he was 24 level when I caught him. Is there any profit to delay the evolution so the pokemon can learn different move or max out/enhance some stats?

Ludo is correct about the Growth Rate of Sandshrew and Sandslash being the same, which is Medium Fast. However, according to ORAS, some moves Gyro Ball, Sand Tomb, Earthquake, Swords Dance, etc. may take Sandslash longer to learn than Sandshrew.

So, the only reason to truly delay Sandshrew's evolution would just to learn some moves earlier.

Sandshrew Pokédex - Pokémon Database and Sandslash Pokédex will show the difference, if you wanted to see it.

For some pokemon, yes.

As Murkrow learns Sucker Punch at 55, and Honchkrow learns it from the start, you could delay it's evolution to 55 if you want suckerpunch and then evolve it. (and save yourself a heart scale)

Same for Swinub. I delayed it from evolving (33) till 37, where Swinub learn Earthquake while Piloswine/Mamoswine learn it at 46(ish?)

So it reaaaaally depends on the pokemon, to be sure just check their learned moves on bulbapedia and see if it's worth the wait. But upon evolution they do get big boosts that can be quite usefull for that moment.

Edited by Helia

Or if you are in the case where u want your mamoswine to have the move Amnesia, and checking bulbapedia will tell you that only swinub and piloswine learn amnesia but not mamoswine. I kept my pokemon as swinub until lvl 48 and at that level he learnt amnesia and directly after that i evolved it into piloswine.

Yes i could have learnt amnesia as piloswine too, but i had to wait as piloswine up to lvl 58 i think.

PS: Oh yeah, at lvl 49 after that he got evolved to mamoswine because he already has ancient power. :P

Edited by netbean

PS: Oh yeah, at lvl 49 after that he got evolved to mamoswine because he already has ancient power. :P

you bred Ancient Power onto it? cuz it doesn't learn it by level up.

you bred Ancient Power onto it? cuz it doesn't learn it by level up.

Yep, i had previously bred my swinub with a dunsparce that knew ancient power, so it was easier for me to get asap mamoswine at same time getting amnesia :)

As soon as i got him to lvl 49 and evolved to mamoswine, i used a heart scale to remove ancient power for earthquake :)

Yep, i had previously bred my swinub with a dunsparce that knew ancient power, so it was easier for me to get asap mamoswine at same time getting amnesia :)

As soon as i got him to lvl 49 and evolved to mamoswine, i used a heart scale to remove ancient power for earthquake :)

That's one way to do it of course!

I wanted to have earthquake before I went to Pyrous mountain tho so I used the swinub to 37 method.

If that's your team in your signature tho, I wonder how you fare against Hardy, since they all have Rock weaknesses.

That's one way to do it of course!

I wanted to have earthquake before I went to Pyrous mountain tho so I used the swinub to 37 method.

If that's your team in your signature tho, I wonder how you fare against Hardy, since they all have Rock weaknesses.

Hehe, i will be having some reserves too which means i will have pokes to counter all gyms :P, it just atm i dont have em yet to satisfactory lvl to show em in the signature, but they will start appearing at my spoil list at signature :P