[Development/Feedback] The Vividity of Love

Rosesong

Ok, hi friends. Today I had an idea for a story and have the working title "The Vividity of Love" for it (though don't worry, it's not going to be all mushy gushy and what not.) Now, there are two tags on this for a reason! I will be using this thread in order to work out world building ideas, character issues, and may occasionally add a poll to get opinions. Mainly though, I'll just be spouting my thoughts. The other purpose of this thread will, of course, be for feedback when I actually start to post the story. I will try to put in bold at the top of each of my posts from now on whether I'm talking about development or if I'm responding to feedback.

DEVELOPMENT

Imagine a world that is completely devoid of color. You've only known black, white, and shades of gray since the day you've opened your eyes. Then, you meet the one. Your soulmate. At first, only small things gain color-- a gifted flower, their eyes as you gaze into them. The first kiss that you share with your soulmate spirals your worlds into a glorious array of beautiful shades that you'd only heard about before. However, your soulmate is the link to the color, and should they die... The color dies with them.

So, this is the main premise that I've been working off of. I can't say I'm sure how I came up with equating love to the color that we've all come to take for granted in the world. Currently, I envision the story in first person, so that we can understand the main character more fully-- what her thoughts are, her emotions, and her reactions.

So, if you have comments about the development, go ahead and leave them; I'll try to have the first part up at some point!

• Administrators

One thing you might need to be careful about stepping on is The Giver. Although it went a different direction with it, the idea of one's love interest being one of the first things through which one sees any color was used and moderately central to that story.

FEEDBACK

Thanks to both of you, I have not read The Giver before. I'll definitely make sure not to infringe on it though.

DEVELOPMENT

Ok, so the first segment is up. The pacing is a bit fast, but seeing as the whole premise is about finding your soulmate, I figured that the connection would click. Also, I'm going to add on a bit to the world building right here, to explain a bit of that last bit, as well as the reasoning behind why I've done it.

How the World Works

Ok, so the way I'm looking at this world, and in particular Jenna and Doug, is that the more confident partner will see a trace of color first. Confidence, in this way, would lend itself to being more sure in one's feelings and possibly see love (and a soulmate) when it's right in front of them. Not everyone will see a spark of color immediately; it happened for Doug and Jenna for a reason to be revealed later totally has nothing to do with me not wanting this story to go on forever) in the story, of course.

Ok, now for this. I will be fusing factual information with my own world for this. For each real world thing, I'm going to give you the factual stuff here for information.

Olympiadane

Olympiadane is a mechanically interlocked molecule composed of five interlocking macrocycles that resemble the Olympic rings. The molecule was made without any practical use in mind.