[FU] A New Year, A New Tier!

AuthorReborn

Intro:

FU is a new tier introduced this year by Smogon which consists of the lowest 3.406% of PU, the tier below NU. So besides Little Cup, FU is the literal lowest of the low with an entirely innocent and inconspicuous name. And this lowly little dung heap at the bottom of the rankings allows for all sorts of Pokemon to finally have their time to shine. The official thread can be found at this location

At a Glance:

I tried to make these all the same size but it just would co-operate so sorry about that.

Basic Team Building Idea:

I enjoy playing these fun little rotating metagames when I can, but it's been a while since I have so I decided to make this RMT. The particular thing with FU is that if you try to make something fast, it is either paper thin or can't sweep reliably due to a lack of speed since most anything with decent speed is (for the most part) in PU and up. So to have something be fast, it must sacrifice other assets, such as decent enough bulk to be used as a pivot. Not too many things feel this actual burden, however, since players often just toss on a NFE pokemon and give it Eviolite to make it work out a bit better for them. Or you could just plop on a Life Orb or Choice Scarf and hope to kill a few things before you perish. I rejected these answers, I chose...trick room. So the entirety of my team revolves around trick room, not just because it allows me to have more beneficial EV spreads, but also because it completely FUps Scarf-ers.

​ In Depth Team Analysis:

AHH BEAR (Ursaring) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Night Slash
- Aerial Ace
- Close Combat
I don't care what tier you're in, Guts+Urasring+Facade=Death. This thing lives up to the fact that it is a bear and cleaves through foes left and right. Now, the tier is still young, but from what I've seen so far, ​there is no answer to a giant bear charging up at you with claws of death. Certainly not when that bear out-slows you in Trick Room and you can't even get a hit in on it without priority, which is noticeably absent from the majority of current teams. The only priority I've seen is Fake Out on Purugly and BP on Machoke. Protect is virtually non-existent in this tier and so toxic stall simply does not happen often enough to change my team to be ready for it.
Frank (Meowstic) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- Toxic

This is my lead 98% of the time unless I see that my opponent has a bothersome Bug/Flying type, such as Ninjask or Butterfree that I expect they'll lead with. In which case, I usually lead with Lampent or Ursaring. But anyway, Dual Screen support is as invaluable as usual, especially against some threats I have no real answer for (or switch in, for that matter, although Octiillary can revenge kill it quite nicely under TR), such as Fraxure. Toxic is to cripple set up sweepers which can wreck havoc through my entire team if I don't stop them in their tracks soon enough. And Trick Room is to pave the way for my main sweepers. Also if you have a better name than "Frank" for Meowstic, I'd love to hear it. I just named him Frank because that's what he looks like to me.

UnderTheSea (Octillery) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
I never knew Octillery could be such a pain. But wow, this thing actually has fairly impressive stats for such a low ranking. The thing that really kills it is the singular fact that it has a base 45 speed. That's 3 less than Unown. But in Trick Room, it can make up for those past failings. Fire Blast murders potential grass counters, such as Levanny and Ice Beam kills birds that are after my Machoke and Dragons that are after my soul. I'm considering switching its ability to Sticky Hold or something because I simply don't end up getting crits with this mon but I haven't had Fire Blast miss yet so that more than makes up for it. The main thing that kills this lovely creature is the fact that it simply has too many counters, particualrly in the common Electabuzz, which really hurt whatever it decides to throw a T-bolt at. Well, almost whatever...
Lampy the Lamped Lamp (Lampent) @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
It really sucks when you get swept by a lamp.
This mon really suffers from the same problem as Octillery (a need for speed). Except, Lampy has another problem; Knock Off. Everything has it these days, particularly with ORAS giving it away to all the Gen VI Pokemon that want it. Oh, and another thing: this lamp must have been your great-grandmother's antique lamp she was given while being courted by the son of a fine pottery designer, because it is about as fragile as that. If you are playing ball in the house, you will hit this, you will be in trouble. In other words, don't expect this thing to live a hit because it won't. It will just die. I considered giving this thing Eviolite, but I decided Life Orb to be better simply because it would die if it made contact anyway. At least this way it'll be bringing a foe or two with it. Also allows for my to reapply TR after the free trial ends (read: one Meowstic's free TR from the beginning wears off).
William (Gogoat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink
Remember when I said almost nothing appreciates a T-bolt? This is the exception to the rule. If you calc a Thunderbolt from a standard FU Electabuzz set, it does approximately 10-12%. HP Ice is the best move Electabuzz has for Gogoat and even that is only a potential 6HKO, all the while, Gogoat can be rolling out EQ, Bulk Up, and Milk Drink to stay entirely healthy while Electabuzz futilely attempts to bring it down. Also, this is the closest thing to a wall I have on this team (with the next closest being Machoke) and it can do its job quite nicely. The easiest way for someone to kill this thing is with a physical Poison-, Bug- (commonly found on Levanny), or Fire-type move and/or Toxic Whittling. Octillary can also hurt this poor goat quite badly, although chances are that someone won't simply attempt to take down a grass type with their water type sweeper. Lampent can also decimate this little billy and turn him into a cripsy cinder if you're not careful. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting used to it.
Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Bullet Punch
So after changing my team to include a Carbink, I discovered, despite what the list says, that Carbink is banned in FU. Yeah, well FU too, Smogon. So now I have a defensive Machoke as a place holder. Quite nice defense+attack+out speeding most things in TR. It is just a place holder, however, since I'm looking for another mon that would fill the niche that Carbink presented.
Anyway, so the main problems for my team are pretty simple:
  • Knock Off
  • Trick Room running out (and leaving someone exposed to the tender mercies of my opponent)

Other than that, it cleaves through most teams since they can't deal enough damage with the screens up and they can't outspeed/outslow my Pokemon in TR. Any commentary or thoughts are appeciated, although I'd prefer to keep the members of my team constant, although I'm okay with changing EVs, natures, movesets, and that sort of thing.

Exportable:

AHH BEAR (Ursaring) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Night Slash
- Aerial Ace
- Close Combat
Frank (Meowstic) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- Toxic
UnderTheSea (Octillery) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
Lampy the Lamped Lamp (Lampent) @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
William (Gogoat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink
Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Bullet Punch

Team Record: 6:6:0

Edited by AuthorReborn

john-cenaFU.gif

No but seriously, I don't know much of this new tier, so I cannot really help... The team looks solid, but maybe it can use some adjustments:

A bulky set with Eviolite on Lampent. If TR is so important for you, it would be better for your TR users to stay alive as long as possible, right? Something like Sub-split, TR and Shadow Ball with a defensive spread and Eviolite should be fine, with Flash Fire you have 3 key immunities, so you won't lack the occasions to switch in... And Sub mitigates the Knock Off problem.

Speaking of Knock Off: Mega Stons are usually the solution to a Knock Off weakness. Are there any Pokemon that can Mega Evolve in this new tier? Mega Audino and Mega Steelix are NU, so everything is possible...

FU Pokemon are in the bottom 9/1000 of usage rankings so no, there is not a single Mega Evolution available in this tier. I might try out that Bulky set just for the sheer ability to keep the Trick Room going.

I see... Any Pokemon with Sticky Hold? Any Pokemon with Justified so that they think twice before spamming Knock Off mindlessly? Hell any Fairy- or Steel-type that has access to a recovery move, so that you can wall Knock Off without caring too much about the loss of your Leftovers?

The FU tier consists of a few Pokemon from NU and the majority of Little Cup pokemon as well. As such, the only Justified Pokemon is Growlithe and the only Sticky Holders are Grimer, Gulpin, Shellos, and Trubbish. Steel and Fairy types are virtually non existent as well.

Below are the available Non-LC Pokemon

Aurorus

Arbok

Ariados

Articuno

Beartic

Butterfree

Carbink

Delibird

Dragonair

Driftblim

Duosion

Dusclops

Electabuzz

Fraxure

Frogadier

Gabite

Gigalith

Glaceon

Gogoat

Gourgeist-Small

Grumpig

Heatmor

Huntail

Hypno

Jumpluff

Kingler

Klang

Lairon

Lampent

Lapras

Leavanny

Linoone

Luxray

Machoke

Magcargo

Magmar

Masquerain

Meganium

Meowstic-F

Meowstic-M

Metang

Mightyena

Monferno

Munchlax

Murkrow

Ninjask

Pignite

Pineco

Politoed

Prinplup

Purugly

Quilladin

Rampardos

Rapidash

Raticate

Regigigas

Relicanth

Sawsbuck

Scraggy

Seviper

Shedinja

Shelgon

Simipour

Simisage

Simisear

Slaking

Sliggoo

Staravia

Swalot

Swanna

Swoobat

Tropius

Ursaring

Volbeat

Vullaby

Wailord

Walrein

Wartortle

Whiscash

Yanma

Zweilous

The FU tier consists of a few Pokemon from NU and the majority of Little Cup pokemon as well. As such, the only Justified Pokemon is Growlithe and the only Sticky Holders are Grimer, Gulpin, Shellos, and Trubbish. Steel and Fairy types are virtually non existent as well.

Aurorus

Arbok

Ariados

Articuno

Beartic

Butterfree

Carbink

Delibird

Dragonair

Driftblim

Duosion

Dusclops

Electabuzz

Fraxure

Frogadier

Gabite

Gigalith

Glaceon

Gogoat

Gourgeist-Small

Grumpig

Heatmor

Huntail

Hypno

Jumpluff

Kingler

Klang

Lairon

Lampent

Lapras

Leavanny

Linoone

Luxray

Machoke

Magcargo

Magmar

Masquerain

Meganium

Meowstic-F

Meowstic-M

Metang

Mightyena

Monferno

Munchlax

Murkrow

Ninjask

Pignite

Pineco

Politoed

Prinplup

Purugly

Quilladin

Rampardos

Rapidash

Raticate

Regigigas

Relicanth

Sawsbuck

Scraggy

Seviper

Shedinja

Shelgon

Simipour

Simisage

Simisear

Slaking

Sliggoo

Staravia

Swalot

Swanna

Swoobat

Tropius

Ursaring

Volbeat

Vullaby

Wailord

Walrein

Wartortle

Whiscash

Yanma

Zweilous

Are you kidding me? Carbink is available and you didn't consider it for a TR team? Carbink is like, the gift God has sent to every TR player in the world, there isn't a single TR team I have made (and believe me when I say, I have made a lot) that doesn't use it, regardless of the tier.

Immense Physical bulk + Fairy type = your Knock Off problem is seriously mitigated. Add sturdy to the mix and you see that, if you use the little fella as a lead, you are basically guaranteed to set Stealth Rock, something your team glaringly lacks.

And Carbink is atrociously slow, and it gets Trick Room and EXPLOSION. Do I need to explain this? Use TR, explode away wasting your opponent's move for the turn, send out some slow-but-bulky sweeper, and you have 4 turns of guaranteed mayhem without risking a switch-in... I would DEFINITELY run this little fella over one of the sweepers: 3 TR setters, a suicidal one and two with staying power, are definitely needed to keep your strategy going, and you only need one physical and one special sweeper to bring the pain... So yeah, I'd keep Octillery, and I'd drop either Ursaring or Machoke for Carbink... Ursaring is virtually unstoppable in the "4 turns mayhem" scenario I described earlier, but it can only do it once, twice at most. Machoke isn't as brutal but has greater staying power, so in the end it's your call.

Also, wouldn't Flame Orb be better than Toxic Orb on Ursaring? Burn damage won't kill you as fast as Toxic damage... Or did something about how Guts works change in Gen 6?

Uh..Casual scrub here, anyone mind telling me the meaning of the acronym, "FU" means, and with that, I second the notion of adding Carbink, somewhere. Since I almost got rekt by a Carbink just recently in Omega Ruby.

Uh..Casual scrub here, anyone mind telling me the meaning of the acronym, "FU" means, and with that, I second the notion of adding Carbink, somewhere. Since I almost got rekt by a Carbink just recently in Omega Ruby.

PU and FU respectively don't really stand for anything. Just think about them as letters and what they'd mean then.

PU and FU respectively don't really stand for anything. Just think about them as letters and what they'd mean then.

Putin's Underlings and Fabricating Ubers. Got it.

edit:

Aurorus

Arbok

Ariados

Articuno

Beartic

Butterfree

Carbink

Delibird

Dragonair

Driftblim

Duosion

Dusclops

Electabuzz

Fraxure

Frogadier

Gabite

Gigalith

Glaceon

Gogoat

Gourgeist-Small

Grumpig

Heatmor

Huntail

Hypno

Jumpluff

Kingler

Klang

Lairon

Lampent

Lapras

Leavanny

Linoone

Luxray

Machoke

Magcargo

Magmar

Masquerain

Meganium

Meowstic-F

Meowstic-M

Metang

Mightyena

Monferno

Munchlax

Murkrow

Ninjask

Pignite

Pineco

Politoed

Prinplup

Purugly

Quilladin

Rampardos

Rapidash

Raticate

Regigigas

Relicanth

Sawsbuck

Scraggy

Seviper

Shedinja

Shelgon

Simipour

Simisage

Simisear

Slaking

Sliggoo

Staravia

Swalot

Swanna

Swoobat

Tropius

Ursaring

Volbeat

Vullaby

Wailord

Walrein

Wartortle

Whiscash

Yanma

Zweilous

Okay, after staring off into some certain Pokemon that would be at least decent what about Scraggy with Focus Punch/Substitute with Leftovers? I dunno about the ability it should have but I'd guess if you want to try Scraggy out, Moxie would be good I guess. Like I've said before, I'm a casual scrub, so I don't think I'll be much help.

EDIT2: You could have a Ninjask as a Baton Passer kind of thing but It'd be risky since it has a low Defense/Special Def. But it'll atleast be able to make one of your Pokemon fast enough to sweep...Eh I really don't know why I'm trying.

Are you kidding me? Carbink is available and you didn't consider it for a TR team? Carbink is like, the gift God has sent to every TR player in the world, there isn't a single TR team I have made (and believe me when I say, I have made a lot) that doesn't use it, regardless of the tier.

Immense Physical bulk + Fairy type = your Knock Off problem is seriously mitigated. Add sturdy to the mix and you see that, if you use the little fella as a lead, you are basically guaranteed to set Stealth Rock, something your team glaringly lacks.

And Carbink is atrociously slow, and it gets Trick Room and EXPLOSION. Do I need to explain this? Use TR, explode away wasting your opponent's move for the turn, send out some slow-but-bulky sweeper, and you have 4 turns of guaranteed mayhem without risking a switch-in... I would DEFINITELY run this little fella over one of the sweepers: 3 TR setters, a suicidal one and two with staying power, are definitely needed to keep your strategy going, and you only need one physical and one special sweeper to bring the pain... So yeah, I'd keep Octillery, and I'd drop either Ursaring or Machoke for Carbink... Ursaring is virtually unstoppable in the "4 turns mayhem" scenario I described earlier, but it can only do it once, twice at most. Machoke isn't as brutal but has greater staying power, so in the end it's your call.

Also, wouldn't Flame Orb be better than Toxic Orb on Ursaring? Burn damage won't kill you as fast as Toxic damage... Or did something about how Guts works change in Gen 6?

I'm going to be honest, I completely forgot Carbink even existed, but hey, I suppose that's the entire point of this tier. I will definitely be swapping out Machoke for Carbink since Machoke has the smallest niche to fill out of everyone already there.

Also, I forgot that burn doesn't take a chunk out of your attack when you have guts so I'll be changing that as well. This is exactly why I made this, though, since I knew that I'd forget key facts like this. I'll edit my team and post today. Thank you for your assistance

Okay, after staring off into some certain Pokemon that would be at least decent what about Scraggy with Focus Punch/Substitute with Leftovers? I dunno about the ability it should have but I'd guess if you want to try Scraggy out, Moxie would be good I guess. Like I've said before, I'm a casual scrub, so I don't think I'll be much help.

EDIT: You could have a Ninjask as a Baton Passer kind of thing but It'd be risky since it has a low Defense/Special Def. But it'll atleast be able to make one of your Pokemon fast enough to sweep...Eh I really don't know why I'm trying.

I'll probably try out that Scraggy set with Moxie on another set at some point, just to play around and see what works. Although Intimidate also means that if I switch in on physical sweeper without a boosting move they'll want to switch and I can get a free sub. I don't know yet, I'll see.

On the note of Ninjask, it's really easy to counter, simply throw in something that scares it into baton passing and then predict the switch and bam, no more boost. Someone tried to do that to me yesterday with a guts Ursaring and he had set up two SD and he was at +3 Speed and all I had to do was predict that and go for the fighting type move. In the hands of a good player with the counters on the opposing team destroyed and SR down, it can be a menace-but then and only then.

imho octillery is better as a specs water spout set :>

No, it really isn't. The true power from Octillery comes from the fact that it can outslow tons of things, stay in on just about everything, and then murder potential counters, like Levanny. It cannot do this if it is locked into a single move. Plus, Octillery isn't really bulky enough to make this set work too well anyway. Also, Purugly is running rampant in this tier and that STAB Fake Out can be enough to cause Water Spout to fail.

EDIT: Apparently Carbink is banned in FU, despite what the list says. UGH. Back to place-holder defensive Machoke it is.

Edited by AuthorReborn

Ah crap I read the updated OP... So no Carbink?

In such a case sorry but I am honestly out of ideas ;-;

EDIT: well there would be Eviolite Bronzor as TR + Explosion user but... Yeah...

Edited by Tomas Elliot

Ah crap I read the updated OP... So no Carbink?

In such a case sorry but I am honestly out of ideas ;-;

EDIT: well there would be Eviolite Bronzor as TR + Explosion user but... Yeah...

I originally had Eviolite Dusclops because that thing is practically immortal if use correctly but it's not in FU despite the list.

I'll test out Bronzor as well next time I'm on, as well as Eviolite Duosion.

I originally had Eviolite Dusclops because that thing is practically immortal if use correctly but it's not in FU despite the list.

I'll test out Bronzor as well next time I'm on, as well as Eviolite Duosion.

I only suggested Bronzor because it has TR+Explosion: you see, if you can use TR and then immediately suicide the Pokemon that used it, you'll then have a golden opportunityto sweep with Ursaring, because you will be able to send it out without risking a switch-in (Ursa has no HPs to spare, given it relies on Guts to sweep). This is why it is so important to have a suicidal lead as your third TR user: however, a Psychic-type that relies of Eviolite will only make your weakness to Knock Off worse, so yeah...