6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace. - Ecclesiastes 3

---

Hello, authors and readers alike. *yep, this mic works*

I ask that you all pay heed to a couple of "rules" that I have -finally- come up with, and like the other pinned forums, this will be up to suggestion for a short while before being locked.

• Please use Feedback thread for feedback only. Allow the writer's story thread to be theirs alone, and respect other readers' right to an uninterrupted read. The only time it is okay to comment in a story thread is when the work is clearly finished. Authors, it would help to link to your Feedback threads at the top of your original post, as well as signify when you have completed your work.
  • Please do not post works that are prohibited in this forum, for whatever reason (be it being disrespectful, belonging to another forum, etc.~ There's another pinned thread with the details.
  • Please do tag your works, authors.
  • Please follow general community rules.

That's all I have (for now), and if you guys have more additions, then I will happily add them. ~Happy writing, friends.

• Upvote 3

I can think of three that you might add (again, this is more from writing community experiences if anything):

-Be Respectful when giving/receiving feedback:

• I know the rule is pretty obvious, but it's usually the latter that's more of the problem. Whenever someone gives you long feedback, you should take some time to thank them and acknowledge it. Going beyond just a simple does go a long way especially for people who give criticism such as myself

-Do not advertise your work in another thread on the forum

• Again, pretty obvious and pretty easy to avoid. Putting a link in your signature or the status bar I'd consider okay, but other than that it should be avoided.

-Plagiarism will not be tolerated (not sure how you want to word this rule)

• Plagiarism or better known as stealing someone's work and claiming it as your own is against the law. It's very easy to catch and you will get caught doing it.
  • Upvote 3

No qualms with the first one. The other two suggestions are good as well, but need some clarification and rationale behind their wording to some degree.

Advertisement doesn't have to be on other forums, but it -can- be on the server and status update feed, assuming it's not worded as an advertisement. Obviously, advertisement would break community rules, so I'm not sure how I want to word it as it would be a clarification on an already established rule, that depending on the instance and context, may not even be an infraction at all.

Copying others work is indeed bad, but what would that person gain from posting it -here-? A technique many artists (and yes, I do call writing an art) use is the concept of thievery in bits and pieces, and since we're not really "grading" most of the centent here and it serves the author no benefit in doing so, I don't know if I can really "not tolerate" it to some degree. Are you calling for a citation page, or having things quoted?

Also mine has super ties to the RP of mine, so the 2 are kinda linked. ((like reading the RP gives them an understanding of stuff they might otherwise miss.)). So while ti isn;t an adivertisment persay, I want people that read the RP to be albe to see it so they can read more lore about they world they are in, or that readers can as well. Also so that readers who first find my CW work can find what it is based on and get some clarity they might not already have.

And I think it is fine to ask that of derivative works, or ones of non-friction. Plagiarism is something we need to figure out or not. ((not that it is bad, but if it really needs policing.))

The last two rules I wrote aren't really that big of a deal, but yes, I think advertisement would fall under the regular rules so we don't need to post that. (Some writing sites encourage it and it does get annoying pretty quickly.) A better way of saying this probably would be don't spam messages to people to read your works.

@Huk: That's more like a book series than advertisement. When you read the first book, you might like it and read the second book. Writing something related to something else is should always be allowed (if we didn't it'd be so hypocritical. I mean look at the site name).

As for plagiarism, it happens very rarely, but it sometimes happens on smaller sites. Most of the cases I've seen are people copy and paste a story from a popular site and use it to gain attention on a smaller one. That's the kind of plagiarism I'm referring to. I wouldn't make a big deal out of forgetting a citation or using someone else's work as a reference.