Changing field effects multiple times to enhance your team

jumpfight5

I don't really need help with my team, and I know there are a few moveset issues and general synergy issues, but for in game teams I really try to not go competitive.

I just wanted to share with you all my battle with the ice-type dude from episode 14 at the top of the mountain. I was struggling a lot with him, and I had the field effects to blame. At first, I thought these effects were a good idea, and would make the game more realistic, but I then realized that they were only existent to make tough trainers even more difficult without having to actually balance their team or anything.

I was wrong. Field effects won me the battle, and I now know that a very viable (but situational) strategy against opponents like mowhawk dude is to flip around their field effects. Because I was going against ice-types on an icy field, I knew I had to change it early on if I wanted to win. I also knew that 100% accurate blizzards weren't doing me any favors, so I had to get rid of Hail. At first, I taught Rain Dance to my Swampert, and would try to use Earthquake or Rain Dance on turn one while my Focus Sash Braviary used Tailwind. This didn't work. Swampert would be KO'ed by Jynx's Energy Ball, and she was just too fast. Braviary would survive for a turn sometimes, but even with the increased speed, I couldn't do much to stop Hail or the field.

I switched up my team a little bit. I had a neglected Camerupt with Lava Plume. Lava Plume turned the Icy Field into a Water Surface field, stopping the more powerful ice-type attacks. I gave Camerupt a Focus Sash, and put him in the lead with Braviary (without a Focus Sash cause I only had one). Braviary fainted as soon as Jynx attacked, so I sent out Swampert. Swampert/1-HP Camerupt could ignore Rotom-F's Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, but the Hail damage would end up KO'ing Camerupt at the end of the turn, after it used Lava Plume (I gave Swampert a Rawst Berry just in case I was burned, which I was, a lot). I sent out Toxicroak, so now I have Swampert and Toxicroak on the field. Toxicroak had to get the faster Jynx out of the way, because if it pulled off a Blizzard, the Water Surface field would regress to the Icy Field. After Jynx faints, Swampert can use a super powerful one turn Dive against Rotom-W and faint it. Now, the field changed again, it's an underwater field, which slows down all non-water Pokemon without Swift Swim significantly, and cannot be changed by any Blizzard. Additionally, weather is negated in that field (no hail). Swampert could now use a Torrent boosted field boosted Waterfall against my opponent, and because Toxicroak usually didn't last long, I could use Heliolisk. Heliolisk allowed me to fire off powerful boosted Thunderbolts, which ended up taking out Walrein (who also was boosted by the terrain). Even after all that, because my team was so hugely underleveled, it was Heliolisk vs Frosslass. Frosslass was faster, but was going to attack with an unreliable Blizzard, so I decided to take the safe route and revive my Swampert, who was way faster than 1/4 speed Frosslass.

The point is that even if you don't plan to change your team up to abuse your opponent's field effects, try and switch up the field effects to stop your opponent. Rarely will you have a team that fits this type of situation so well that you can change the field twice, but if you do, the win you get will feel so much more worth it. I think I'm going to get a Pokemon that can set up Grassy Terrain and build a team that allows me to change that field effect a few times for some fun.