Nuzlocke Rules?

While galavanting across the internet i came across a set of rules that i had never heard of before, Nuzlocke rules.

Nuzlocke Rules are a set of self enforced rules while playing a Pokemon game to simulate the experience in a really, more intense light.

The two basic rules are as follows:
1. All Pokemon that faint are considered dead, and must be either released or permanently boxed.
2. A trainer may only catch the first Pokemon that he encounters in an area when entering the first time, if the Pokemon faints or you have no poke-balls left you may not attempt to capture another Pokemon in that area again.

I was wondering had anyone heard of these rules before, or tried the practice themselves, and if so what was your experience like?

I ask because i figure with the new release of black and white it might be a good opportunity to give this a shot in an unknown environment, especially since i wouldn't have any major data to lose if i found the experience wasn't for me.

So, what are your thoughts, members of reborn?

I've heard of this rule before, but usually applied to games where it makes a little sense. Shooters are a common genre (you die, restart the entire game), some RPGs and recently I've seen people applying it to Minecraft (You die, you delete the world.) The first part of the rule makes sense. Instead of fainting Pokemon die, alright. I just don't get the second rule. It doesn't seem to blend with the point of the rules being "realism." There are multiple types in a area, being limited to a one shot does not make sense. There are more than just one Pokemon. I would consider doing the first rule but not the second.

• Administrators
[quote]There are multiple types in a area, being limited to a one shot does not make sense.[/quote]

I think it's just so that you can't go and catch a new Pokemon every time you lose one, or... I dunno, that's really the only explanation I can think of.

from what i have gathered the second rule is to emphasize stronger bonds with a Pokemon. the lingering fear of knowing that a pokemon may disappear with no chance of being replaced will make it so that you do not get sloppy and think "its ok i can just go catch another one" as Mr. Ikaru also stated. So the second rule is to keep you restrained within certain limits that also makes it so that you do not have 4 boxes full of Pokemon that can be replacements or replaced themselves.

• Administrators
A lot of the others I've heard are just to make the whole challenge a bitch.

You can only go to each Pokemon Center once.
You may not buy any items from the Pokemart.
If an HM Pokemon faints, you may not use the HMs it knows.
Depositing a Pokemon to a box is equivalent to its death (so therefore, no more than 6 pokemon at a time, at all.)
You may not trade from other games.
You may not use the Daycare.

I think that's about it...

[quote name='AZKnight' post='11315' date='Feb 28 2011, 05:01 PM']I've heard of this rule before, but usually applied to games where it makes a little sense. Shooters are a common genre (you die, restart the entire game), some RPGs and recently I've seen people applying it to Minecraft (You die, you delete the world.) The first part of the rule makes sense. Instead of fainting Pokemon die, alright. I just don't get the second rule. It doesn't seem to blend with the point of the rules being "realism." There are multiple types in a area, being limited to a one shot does not make sense. There are more than just one Pokemon. I would consider doing the first rule but not the second.[/quote]

As others have said, the second rule is solely so that Nuzlocke'ing isn't a walk in the park; it makes it so that you have a limit to the Pokémon you use. Also, it sometimes forces you to use Pokémon you usually wouldn't train, and even lets you warm up to them more.

That's what's really great about Nuzlocke'ing, if anything. It brings you really close to the Pokémon you'd never dream of using.

Ripley and Caspian, may God have mercy on your souls. :c

So yeah, I attempted a Nuzlocke. I got pretty damn far in FireRed, too, until I was demolished by Bruno of the Elite 4 due to all of his Fighting Pokes knowing fucking Rock Slide.

Well [i]I'VE[/i] heard of people not being allowed to use Pokemon Centers ever. You end up having to juggle the potions you find and can afford along with the PP restoring items. I don't think you could even do that if you were not allowed to use the Pokemart, too.

Yes but any of these additional rules are strictly for the purpose of making the challange even more challenging but they would be ones that you enforce on yourself. it seems the most common or the ones that make it a true Nuzlocke challenge are the first two. as i must agree with Mr. Knight, that unless you grew leppa berries like no other it would be very nigh impossible.

I also found Amethysts rule on the HM. pokemon rather strange since it could cause you to be permanently stuck with no way to continue.