The Big Blue - Water Monotype Team

Notus

"The cure for everything is Salt Water: sweat, tears, or the Sea"

~~~ The Big Blue ~~~

Water Monotype Team

Introduction

Hello everyone! I'm Notus, and I always had a passion for water types. This is a team I have been working in for some time, and it finally started to get me some good results, even using it in regular OU. However, I'm still quite new to competitive battling, and I think that to further improve the team I need as much constructive feedback as I can gather. So, here it is, my second RMT!

Description

This team is designed to apply offensive pressure on the opponent, and uses some deadly sweepers, hard hitters and rain to acomplish that. It's the first time I make a rain team, and yes there was the weather nerf, but even then it is holding it's ground pretty well against most foes. One thing I really like in it is how a match is never over until the very end: a misprediction on one of the team's sweepers can – and will - turn the tide of the battle completely.

The Crew

260.png658.png230.png73.png184.png130.png

~~In Depht~~

260swampert1920x1200.jpg?w=400

Kyte, the Swampert @ Leftovers

Trait: Torrent

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Defense

-Stealth Rock

-Waterfall

-Earthquake

-Ice Punch

Swampert is my favourite pokémon for a reason. This bulky guy can tank a hit and answer in kind, and is a Pokémon I can rely in. He is my primary line of defense against electric attacks, thanks to the additional ground typing making him immune to them. In addition to that, Kyte sets the always usefull Rocks for the team and is one of my possible leads.

super_smash_bros__4_psp_wallpaper___gren

Assassin, the Greninja @ Life Orb

Trait: Protean

Nature: Timid

EVs: 252 Sp.Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP

-U-turn

-Ice Beam

-Extrasensory

-Surf

He's fast, powerfull, and can camouflage like a true ninja. Before you know what is coming your way, this Assassin will murder all your dreams of victory...

Assassin is my secondary lead and general hard hitter. U-Turn is for scouting when I'm unsure of what the opponent will lead with, and let me switch into an appropriate counter. Surf because, well, rain team, Ice Beam completing the neutral coverage and finally Extrasensory to deal with Mega Venusaur - which was a big issue to the previous versions of the team. With this coverage and Protean, this guy is a great anti-lead

Of course, Greninja is frail and the Life Orb recoil doesn't help that, so I have to play conservatively, but apart from that this guy is one of the stars of the team.

230kingdra1920x1200.jpg?w=400

Celestinine, the Kingdra @ Damp Rock

Trait: Swift Swim

Nature: Modest

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Att / 4 Defense

-Surf

-Draco Meteor

-Ice Beam

-Rain Dance

So with a Water Monotype I figured some rain would come handy, but I don't like Politoed that much and wanted something bulky and at the same time capable of creating offensive pressure. The answer was Celestinine here. Due to her dragon typing and bulk she can take a whole lot of attacks, set Rain Dance and proceed to hit really hard and fast. Damp Rock is for keeping the rain up as long as possible, Surf is my Water spamming move, Draco Meteor is very powerfull to hit stuff that resists water and Ice Beam completes the coverage hitting grass types super effectively. Although she's been working well, I'm still a little in doubt about Surf vs. Hydro Pump. The power gap is a big one, but I'm not much a fan of low accuracy moves.

73tentacruel1920x1200.jpg?w=400

Barrier, the Tentacruel @ Damp Rock

Trait: Liquid Ooze

Nature: Bold

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp.Defense

-Rapid Spin

-Rain Dance

-Scald

-Acid Spray

Back in the days of Pokémon Blue, I used to hate Tentacool and Tentacruel... Oh, how mistaken I was.

Barrier is a very important part of the team, having multiple uses. First and foremost, he is a pretty reliable spinner, but also my secondary rain setter. Scald in the rain hurts nicely, not to mention the burn chance, and paired with Acid Spray to lower the foe's Special Defense it turns it may force some switches.

The ability Liquid Ooze is there to troll Leech Seed and Giga Drain users, and pairing that with Scald burns is my best shot against Ferrothorn (though not perfect) and helps with Mega Venu if Assassin is out or has a hard time switching in. Unfortunately the lack of both Rain Dish and Black Sludge makes walling pretty much impossible, but up to now it seems to be paying off.

184azumarill1920x1200.jpg?w=400

Adrienn, the Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry

Trait: Huge Power

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack / 196 HP / 60 Speed

-Belly Drum

-Aqua Jet

-Waterfall

-Play Rough

Dat Belly Drum. Adrienn here is one of the best sweepers I have ever used, and one mistep from the opponent against her may mean the end of the match – or at least a big hole in their team. In the rain Aqua Jet gets even more deadly and few things can survive it after a boost. It is a one time use poké though, and I generally need to take a lot of care about when I set her up.

130gyarados1920x1200.jpg?w=400

Leviathan, the Gyarados @ Gyaradosite

Trait: Intimidate

Nature: Jolly

EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP

-Dragon Dance

-Waterfall

-Earthquake

-Ice Fang

The Mega Beast. Leviathan works pretty well with or without mega evolving, has the utility of Intimidate and as such sets-up pretty easily. With rain up, you don't wanna take that Waterfall, and Rotom-W and Mega Venu get owned by Mold Breaker if needed. In most cases, after he busts a hole in the opponent's team Adrienn gets in and cleans everything that is left, or the other way around. Anyway, those two together put a big pressure in the physical side of most teams, and often enough to break them.

Conclusion

So that's it guys, I hope you liked the team! It's been giving me a lot of fun, and a made me learn a lot more about my favourite type. As I said before I'm looking to make this team the best possible, so any tips, rates and opinions are greatly appreciated. Also if you want to see it in action you can call me by PM or in the server for a battle, or use it as much as you like.

Threat List

Ferrothorn – Probably the biggest issue this team has. If played very well, Barrier can handle it, but that's hella hard. If I see this guy on Team Preview I know I'm in for a struggle.

Mega Venussaur – Nicely handled by Barrier, Assassin, and Leviathan after mega evolving. Still troublesome in good hands though.

Mega Charizard Y – A.k.a were is my rain?! Those Solar Beams hurt a lot, and my best line of defense against this guy is having Rocks up the whole time, and revenge killing after some damage. I generally try to set something up as soon as possible when I see it around.

Rotom-W – Three words to describe this guy: annoying as hell. Leviathan can KO with Earthquake, and Celestinine hurts it a lot with Draco Meteor but those Will-O-Wisps and Volt-Switches are a terror for half of the team to switch in. In short I can play around it, but it is dangerous.

Importable

Assassin (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Protean

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- U-turn

- Ice Beam

- Surf

- Extrasensory

Kyte (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Ice Punch

Adrienn (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Trait: Huge Power

EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Belly Drum

- Aqua Jet

- Waterfall

- Play Rough

Celestinine (Kingdra) (F) @ Damp Rock

Trait: Swift Swim

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Rain Dance

- Surf

- Draco Meteor

- Ice Beam

Leviathan (Gyarados) (M) @ Gyaradosite

Trait: Intimidate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

- Ice Fang

- Dragon Dance

Barrier (Tentacruel) (M) @ Damp Rock

Trait: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Rain Dance

- Scald

- Acid Spray

- Rapid Spin

Sprites: http://www.pokestadium.com/pokemon/sprites/

Images*: https://pokewalls.wordpress.com/

*Except Greninja

Woohooo water types!

I'm not a big fan of Mega Gyarados since it's dark type adds more weaknesses, but overall pretty nice set. You got everything covered. I personally run the D-dance / sub with Lum berry set.

The only thing that really stands out that I would personally change is Azumarill. I would go for an extra coverage move instead of using Aqua Jet AND Waterfall. Maybe Superpower or Knock Off? Since you don't run Dark Pulse on Greninja.

Also I'm not that experienced in competitive so you can try out my advice, but I'm not sure it will give better results xD

Thanks for the feedback Chim! Yeah, Knock Off is always a good move to have, i'll be sure to test it out. As I said in the analysis, a nice point about Gyarados is that he works well in both Mega form and regular one, so I generally can decide about evolving him or not depending on the opponents team. (But still, y u no Dragon type Gamefreak? =/ ). I'll probably change it anyway once they release Mega Swampy anyway, so your's is a nice set to consider when that happens.

I'd suggest trying to fit a space for Rain Dance on Swampert.

Since he is almost guaranteed to get a Rain Dance up, Kindra really needs to find space to be able to sweep. Specs Kindra/Mixedra is power under rain. Kindra just does not have the time to setup Rain manually anymore and having it as a wallbreakers to pierce through cores is very powerful under rain.

I don't see any problems with this team. I'd like to ask a question though. Since you like trolling and using leech seed against them, why keep rapid spin? None of your pokemon get significant damage from rocks or get their sashes ruined. I'd suggest you substitute that for toxic spikes (or toxic) for extra poison damage (and destruction of sashes after the first turn)

Gyarados takes a nice damage from rocks, and I sometimes have to switch in and out various times to make use of Intimidate, so having the Spin is good at this point. I personally don´t like T.Spikes much because they´re easy to get rid of, but I can give it a try and see how it works.

Also, I´m testing the sugestions of Chim and Cow, once I have more practice with them I´ll give new feedback. Ah, and for some reason PO is not letting me have Aqua Jet + Knock Off in Azumarill, so I´m testing with Superpower.