Magus's VGC Team Featuring Mega Manectric

Magus

Welp with the VGC season starting soon, and with it finally coming to Texas, I think I should give you guys the load down, so enough screwing around, let's get down to business.

-At A Glance-

036.gif598.gifmanectric-mega.gifBisharpXY.gifrotom-wash.gifhydreigon_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49ho.gif

-In Depth-

Blah Blah Stats and Items Blah

Clefable (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Level: 50

Trait: Unaware

EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SAtk

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Flamethrower

- Moonblast

- Moonlight

- Follow Me

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Specs

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor

- Flamethrower

- Dragon Pulse

- U-turn

Manectric (M) @ Manectite

Trait: Lightningrod

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Thunderbolt

- Overheat

- Protect

Ferrothorn (F) @ Lum Berry

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SDef

Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)

- Protect

- Leech Seed

- Gyro Ball

- Power Whip

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Defiant

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Night Slash

- Protect

- Iron Head

- Sucker Punch

Rotom-W @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Protect

- Volt Switch

- Will-O-Wisp

- Hydro Pump

Analysis

First of all, for those who don't know, VGC is double battle format. The battles are fast, rather than trying to get the match up you need, you must try to make the best out of any situation. Anyone who plays competitive must know how to use the team preview to the fullest, predicting leads, making notes, and most importantly making the right decision to lead off. Leading off with the correct choices will put you in a great advantage over your opponent, so that brings us to the first point, the possible leads. All the leads are situational, but very effective.

in general there are 3 types of teams, Hyper offense, Weather and trick room. My team tries to balance out everything, I feel like there is enough bulk to power ratio, this team tries to beat many of the big threats in the meta, but I try to keep my opponent on their feet. There are some changes that can be made, I can run a different physical attacker over Bisharp, like Hariyama. There is always room for improvement, though so don't be afraid to comment.

Lead Possibilities

036.gifhydreigon_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49ho.gifor 036.gifmanectric-mega.gifSituational 036.gifBisharpXY.gif

The thing about VGC is that your leads differ from battle to battle, there are many combinations to use, but the key is synergy. Clefable is a very potent lead, (refer to the export for a full analysis of moves and stats) as I did some special investing. His spread will allow him to survive many steel moves from threats like Mega Lucario,Scizor, Bisharp, take a lot of damage and deflect much damage from the second slot. It also can heal off much damage and allow the second slot to get off some hits.

Lead Synergy

Now the second slot is situational, and depends on what you are facing. A specs Hydreigon is a very powerful threat, it can OHKO many mons with its Draco Meteor, leave holes in tanks, the point is it is a great offensive lead, and I can get an early game advantage.

Next lead is Manectric, the core of this team. I can not stress how much Intimidate is good in VGC, it is a way to check some of the most threatening powerhouses in the tier. If there is a Mega Kahn. you bet I'm leading off with Clef and Manectric, as I can mega evolve and protect and fire off a Volt switch next turn. Manectric gets the most utility out of Intimidate because it can come in and get a fast volt switch out, I need to mega evolve it as fast as possible. With Clefable I can safely bring it in (if I didn't leadoff). There are many other situations where you can use manectric, but in general, it is best to use him to get as many intimidates off.

Lastly is Bisharp, who is a monster on his own. He can clean up with suckerpunch, but if he gets an Defiant boost, he can OHKO almost anything that doesn't resist it. The only set back is that you can only get the best out the lead is if an Intimidate user is on the other team. I only lead off with Bisharp if intimidate is present, if not I keep him in the back.

In The Back - Pick 2

598.gifrotom-wash.gifBisharpXY.gifmanectric-mega.gif

Back Synergy

The back two mons are all about synergizing with your leads. There are countless possibilities, but these 4 are the ones you want to try to save for the mid to late game, as this is where they shine.

Ferrothorn is a god late game, I have won games just stalling with him and leech seed. On top of that, he is a good check to rotom- w, thanks to his investment and item, yes it is the Ray Rizzo set. He is a fine choice with any leads, so I want him around 90% of the time.

Rotom-W has been a favorite of mine since I picked up VGC in gen 5, he is a utility machine, with both volt switch and will-o-wisp, he can burn, scout, hit hard, he does it all. It can be tanky and wih his spread I use, it can sponge up draco meteors from Hydrigon. It can be used as a lead to get off the burn, but there is a large risk factor. Most physical attackers protect, have priority, and can shut him down. But in the midish game he can carry the team to the late game effectively. Getting off a mid game will-o-wisp can put at a great advantage for the late game.

Bisharp is standard, defiant clean up. Although it can be obvious where I sucker punch, it is nice to get off a bait and pull a 180 and smack the opponent with an iron head,or night slash (knock off is a gen 5 move tutor and isn't allowed in the format). Bisharp is all about predicting and messing with my opponent. If played right , his payoff is great, if not then it is punishing.

Last is Manectric, if he wasn't a lead, which is very possible for conservation. As a usual, I try to get the opportunity to get him in to start the intimidate, but he is a strong check to Charizard Y, who hits this team hard. If I see a Charizard, I keep manectric in the back to scout what type it is as it can check Charizard X thanks to intimidate, and other physical attackers.

Threats And Checks

In VGC, you can get around many threats but some mons are still a pain with this team here are some.

Charizard X

Charizard Y

Aegislash

FIRE: vague but still hurts

Raichu

Amoonguss

Mega Kanga ( I feel like it is a threat to everything )

Talonflame ( Brave birds hurt way too much )

Hariyama ( the Assault Vest one is a major pain, as I don't have a good way to deal with it, I might run Psyshock to hit it on Clefable)

Suggestions

Welp that is it, the VGC season will start soon, and feedback is nice. I tried to make this RMT like as clear as possible, so I hope I did it right. All feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I haven't played VGC in months but isn't it usually a good idea to have two megas so you can change them depending on the matchup? That being said, Bisharp really isn't tanky enough or exceptionally hard hitting, I'd recommend maybe changing him out for Mega-Kang. Although I haven't played VGC in a while and I have no clue what the meta is atm. Take this with a grain of salt lmao

I haven't played VGC in months but isn't it usually a good idea to have two megas so you can change them depending on the matchup? That being said, Bisharp really isn't tanky enough or exceptionally hard hitting, I'd recommend maybe changing him out for Mega-Kang. Although I haven't played VGC in a while and I have no clue what the meta is atm. Take this with a grain of salt lmao

Having two megas isn't a must, in fact, most teams work better with only one.

While his team isn't weak to Intimidate at all, it is still everywhere in VGC, and Bisharp can do massive damage at +1 with LO (as he stated). Also, this is probably just me, but I will never ever consider using a M-Kangaskhan in my entire motherfucking life (in VGC, at least), unless it gets nerfed or something on ORAS / a future gen. Mega-Kangaskhan is for pussies and that's it.

As for your team, the synergy is pretty okay, I like it, however there are two things I would suggest changing:

- on M-Manectric I would run HP Ice over Overheat or Thunderbolt. The extra Thunderbolt damage is often unnecessary and most of the times volt switching out would be better than staying in. Overheat is kinda useless as well as it only helps you damage a few things harder, such as Aegislash, Amoonguss and M-Mawile. HP Ice, however, helps you deal with dragons (specifically Garchomp and Salamence which can hurt your team pretty badly) and ground-types in general.

- M-Venusaur is also quite threatening to your team. Ferrothorn is the only one who can tank hits from it, and Bisharp/Specs Hydreigon are the only ones who can hurt it (Bisharp not much tho, since most spreads run tons of defensive EVs and they usually carry synthesis). Not to mention that it's very often paired with Rotom-H since it can help the former deal with Bisharp and Ferrothorn. That said, If I were you, I'd somehow try to fit Talonflame in your team (would replace with Clefable, or Hydreigon if you're that keen on keeping it). Talonflame has great synergy with most of your mons. It forms a Fire/Grass/Water core with Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, not to mention that Tailwind (if you happen to run a LO set over the common CB set) helps Bisharp, Rotom and Hydreigon a lot. Taunt also makes it an excellent partner to Bisharp. Also, before Mega, Manectric has Lightningrod to draw away electric-type moves completely, so mons like Raichu become rather easy to deal with. I don't want to change your team completely, but I just feel like the addition of Talonflame to it, be it banded or lo'd, would be great.

Besides this, I agree with everything else you stated, i.e. leads, ev spreads, etc.

Edited by MMM

I agree with Talon Flame, the only problem is that he can't stay around long enough, his risk is a little too high for me, I also can't get lucky and can't seem to breed HP ice on manectric. I might use the LO set for talon flame though.

Edited by Magus

I agree with Talon Flame, the only problem is that he can't stay around long enough, his risk is a little too high for me, I also can't get lucky and can't seem to breed HP ice on manectric. I might use the LO set for talon flame though.

True that. Talonflame should be used wisely too since having him during late-game/losing him in the beginning can be game-changing. As for the Manectric, I can prob get you an Electrike with HP Ice, if you really need it. Let me know if you're interested, shouldn't take longer than 10 mins to get one since I'll be free tomorrow.

True that. Talonflame should be used wisely too since having him during late-game/losing him in the beginning can be game-changing. As for the Manectric, I can prob get you an Electrike with HP Ice, if you really need it. Let me know if you're interested, shouldn't take longer than 10 mins to get one since I'll be free tomorrow.

That would be awesome if you can get me one with HP ice, I'm not 100% sure how the breeding works with HP, but if you can get me one, that would be great

oops, completely forgot about this and wasted most of the day doing nothing >_>

ill breed it now

EDIT: do you want it modest or timid?

Mosest, also thanks, you can message me when you're done.