Shadow Pokemon (Spoilers)

I was thinking back to when I first played Rejuvenation back in I believe it was 2016 and I remembered something that wont stop bugging me now. I specifically remember that in the first battle with Rorrim B he had a shadow Pokemon on his team, which it seems like it was removed in later versions. Was Rorrim B initially going to be a member of Team Xen but the idea got scrapped later on? I haven't played through all of V12 yet so please avoid spoiling that for me if this at all relates to it.

I believe he was meant to be akin to Miror B in XD, not Colosseum, and pick up stray Shadow Pokémon so you could snag the ones you missed. Whether or not that involved him being a member of Xen, I don't know, and the feature was obviously removed entirely.

(I have a lot of questions as to the purpose of Shadow Pokémon in Rejuvenation at this point, tbh.)

1 minute ago, CrystalKing said:

I believe he was meant to be akin to Miror B in XD, not Colosseum, and pick up stray Shadow Pokémon so you could snag the ones you missed. Whether or not that involved him being a member of Xen, I don't know, and the feature was obviously removed entirely.

(I have a lot of questions as to the purpose of Shadow Pokémon in Rejuvenation at this point, tbh.)

Thing about that is his first fight was directly after your snag machine breaks so you couldnt even catch it, but going off that I'm assuming that was their initial plan but dropped it after they introduced that Jenkel memory mechanic. But now that that's gone it's more like "Missed a shadow? Tough luck kid you're never seeing it again."

Fun fact, when I started replaying Rejuv once v12 came out, all I could remember was how useless shadow mons were after the caratos section. Last time I had played after your snag machine breaks you encountered 3 shadows you couldnt catch even using Jenkel's memory thing and after it's fixed you encounter a grand total of 1 for the rest of the game, making the whole journey to fix it feel pointless. I'm glad to see they put in more shadow mons but that time will always stick out to me.

In my opinion, it was a cool idea to bring in shadow mons but the execution, while good, wasn't exactly perfect. You get the snag machine early on and are quickly able to snag some shadows, 8 of them in total to be exact. Then after the 2nd gym battle (But before the 2nd badge) you lose it, making snagging impossible for a good while. I feel like they took it away a bit too early as you barely got to get used to snagging shadows to really feel as weak as you could losing it, and it was just to ensure the player doesnt capture shadow Mewtwo (When I mean, they couldve just had mewtwo bat away the ball like another legend fight down the line instead of breaking the snag machine). Shadow Mewtwo itself too is a weird concept to me, but I'll go into that later as I'm typing all this after waking up at midnight and unable to actually sleep.

13 hours ago, Leon_Genesis said:

In my opinion, it was a cool idea to bring in shadow mons but the execution, while good, wasn't exactly perfect. You get the snag machine early on and are quickly able to snag some shadows, 8 of them in total to be exact. Then after the 2nd gym battle (But before the 2nd badge) you lose it, making snagging impossible for a good while. I feel like they took it away a bit too early as you barely got to get used to snagging shadows to really feel as weak as you could losing it, and it was just to ensure the player doesnt capture shadow Mewtwo (When I mean, they couldve just had mewtwo bat away the ball like another legend fight down the line instead of breaking the snag machine). Shadow Mewtwo itself too is a weird concept to me, but I'll go into that later as I'm typing all this after waking up at midnight and unable to actually sleep.

Okey now that I've slept I'm going to touch on Shadow Mewtwo a little more. Keep in mind I've never played XD or Colosseum so I'm going off the little knowledge of Shadows I have. A shadow Pokemon is made by closing and locking the heart of a Pokemon from what I've gathered, but if that's the case wouldn't Mewtwo be immune to becoming a shadow mon? Mewtwo doesn't have a heart, or at least not the metaphorical kind of heart. They were made a heartless beast, that was the whole reason the Mewtwo project fell apart. So how do you lock the heart of something that already doesn't have one?

I wish they kept the Jenkel memory thing, I actually liked that feature.
I guess it was designed as a way to grind and catching the shadow pokemon you missed, though since audino breeders are a thing and since you stop encountering shadow pokemon fairly soon, they decided to remove it entirely?
But yeah, I think it was a good idea but clumsily executed. Yes, we apparently destroyed the factory they were made in, but I feel like it happens way too soon for such an important feature.
Also these pokemon could have been made a little more unique post-purification imo, maybe giving them +5 in some base stats or something, because in the end they really don't bring much at all which is slightly disappointing.

21 minutes ago, Caelliox said:

I wish they kept the Jenkel memory thing, I actually liked that feature.
I guess it was designed as a way to grind and catching the shadow pokemon you missed, though since audino breeders are a thing and since you stop encountering shadow pokemon fairly soon, they decided to remove it entirely?
But yeah, I think it was a good idea but clumsily executed. Yes, we apparently destroyed the factory they were made in, but I feel like it happens way too soon for such an important feature.
Also these pokemon could have been made a little more unique post-purification imo, maybe giving them +5 in some base stats or something, because in the end they really don't bring much at all which is slightly disappointing.

Yeah looking the Shadow mons I got only 2 are worth noting and not for any sort of battle usage. The Ponyta has flame body to help with breeding and the meowth has pickup, but thats the only good i can really see out of them. Looks like they tried making them useful by having an equal IV spread for all of them, and while that sounds cool on paper, in execution they just have either 10 ivs in each stat or somewhere around 20 in each, which probably wouldnt be that good later on. They did the same for EVs too but from my knowledge on competitive Pokemon you dont want at least 30 EVs in each stats, its usually maxing out only 2 stats so doing that only hinders them. They might also have moves they cant normally learn but you cant see those right away. There was 1 shadow mon that I remember being really good though, which was Shadow Torkoal but that was removed a long time ago.

List of currently available Shadow Pokemon:

Spoiler

Eevee

Transform

Protect

Quick Attack

Reflect

Beldum

Zap Cannon

Psychic

Giga Impact

Masquerain

Water Pulse

Discharge

Aqua Ring

Ice Beam

Carnivine

Fire Lash

Coil

Leech Seed

Sleep Powder

Amaura

Aurora Veil

Power Gem

Discharge

Outrage

Baltoy

Ancient Power

Rock Blast

Flamethrower

Shadow Ball

Mankey

Sucker Punch

Explosion

Cross Chop

Swagger

Teddiursa

Parting Shot

Bonemerang

Avalanche

Fake Tears

Chinchou

Whirlpool

Heal Bell

Parabolic Charge

Cosmic Power

Quagsire

Flame Burst

Water Pulse

Refresh

Ponyta

Morning Sun

Aqua Jet

Flame Wheel

Stomp

Vanillite

Uproar

Will-O-Wisp

Mist

Avalanche

Bonsly

Rock Throw

Shift Gear

Tackle

Fake Tears

Alola-Grimer

Aromatherapy

Harden

Poison Gas

Bite

Meowth

Beat Up

Bite

Glare

Fury Swipes

Finneon

Tailwind

Water Gun

Headbutt

Tail Glow

Cacnea

Leech Seed

Power-up Punch

Absorb

Toxic Spikes

Slakoth

Final Gambit

Acupressure

Tickle

Entrainment

List of currently no longer available Shadow Pokemon:

Spoiler

Sewaddle

Protect

Will-o-Wisp

Froakie

Bounce

X-Scissor

Tangela

Wild Charge

Toxicroak

Zen Headbutt

Girafarig

Flamethrower

Vivillon

Wish

Chesnaught

Pin Missile

Take Down

Needle Arm

Seed Bomb

Feebas

Water Pulse

Ice Beam

Aqua Ring

Psychic

Torkoal (I have no information on what moves it had.)

Why are Shadow Pokemon currently no longer a large thing within Rejuvenation's story? (Quoting my own thoughts from last time I discussed this.)

Spoiler

Shadow Pokemon are used by Team Xen members during Team Xen operations.  Thus, we haven't really had many times where they would have been able to show up from when we had last seen them.  The plot has been preoccupied by Team Bladestar as of recent, which draws attention away from Team Xen and their devices (our last interaction was cooperating with Madame X to get back from the altered future and working with Ren - if one even counts that as a Team Xen interaction.)  The last actual operation where we can catch Shadow Pokemon is actually in Amber's home when it is attacked by Madelis.  From that point, the only other time we really came into direct conflict with Team Xen was on Mount Valor.  One can also go back and catch a Shadow Beldum for a later instance of a Shadow Pokemon.  So it isn't so much that Shadow Pokemon are discontinued, it's more like that they are not in our peripherals due to where we are in the plot.

Other plot reasons why Shadow Pokemon don't show up as much as Colosseum or Shadow of Darkness are because:

~ Team Xen were early on established as having revived the project.

~ Team Xen were early on established to have had only managed to create a small supply of Shadow Pokemon.

~ Nastasia went to the backup lab to be able to continue the project and resupply their organization with Shadow Pokemon, hence why Mount Valor lacked any Shadow Pokemon one could catch.

Shadow Pokemon are very likely to show up more when Team Xen launches more operations for us to deal with.

What use does Shadow Pokemon provide?

Spoiler

~ They have moves that they can usually never naturally know unless you are utilizing debug.

~ They provide either access or early access to particular Pokemon you may not have been able to otherwise have gotten around that point in the game.

Current feelings?

Spoiler

I'm hoping that with Team Bladestar more or less taken care of that we'll be seeing more Shadow Pokemon show up.  I'm also hoping that they'll bring back all the Shadow Pokemon that had been available at some point before.  I may have missed a few Shadow Pokemon that had been available at one point and time and no longer are available, but the sentiment remains the same even for those ones omitted.  If they were added, that'd at least place the total Shadow Pokemon count to 27.  For perspective, Pokemon Colosseum had 48 Shadow Pokemon and Pokemon Gale of Darkness had 83 Shadow Pokemon.

Edited by Myrrh
  • Upvote 1

I know SEC had a salandit the first time it was fought in V9 (its Water Pulse actually helped me out a lot against Crawli), though that was almost immediately replaced with the current ponyta. And if I remember peoples' reactions to finding out that the Reaper Cloth was added to the game in V10 correctly, there used to be a duskull in the Goldenleaf Invasion as well.

Anyway, we know that Madelis wasn't exactly given a lot of time to work with between the end of WLL and the raid on her base, so she wasn't exactly able to make a whole lot of Shadows before losing her foothold in Sheridan, and most certainly didn't have time to ship them out before the raid like Cipher did for the raid on their factory in XD. Heck, she even left someone behind to watch over the failed Shadow pokemon in her retreat! This leads me to believe that all of the Shadow Pokemon we encounter between the fall of the Sheridan base and Nastasia stopping by the Backup Lab were ones that were already deployed elsewhere during that fiasco.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:36 AM, Myrrh said:

Eevee

Transform

Protect

Quick Attack

Reflect

wait, where do you get a Shadow Eevee? don't you get the Eevee with Transform after completing the Kimono Girls quest? the Eevee i got from that wasn't a Shadow Pokemon.....

2 hours ago, RedWolf705 said:

wait, where do you get a Shadow Eevee? don't you get the Eevee with Transform after completing the Kimono Girls quest? the Eevee i got from that wasn't a Shadow Pokemon.....

Its mentioned that the eevee was purified from being a shadow mon, which is why it has transform.