Heroes of the Storm Discussion

doombotmecha

So, HotS just released a beta version of its new client, along with a new business model/loot system ala Overwatch, I ended up trying it again and this time around I really liked it. Heroes I've tried (so far) were Muradin (the free hero you get if you choose "warrior" at the start), Dehaka (zerg gank tank, almost like Rek'sai), Auriel (literal guardian angel), and Thrall (I mostly just used his lightning bolt).

Has anyone else here tried the beta? Does anyone else play the game regularly?

I used to play the game, but stopped once I realized that the business model was too unforgiving, ie. you had to play 20'ish hours to unlock a Hero, which is way too much. 

Have they by chance changed this? 

On 4/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, Tartar said:

I used to play the game, but stopped once I realized that the business model was too unforgiving, ie. you had to play 20'ish hours to unlock a Hero, which is way too much. 

Have they by chance changed this? 

they're making it like overwatch, except that you can also get heroes from the loot chests as well.

buuuuuut you can't buy skins with gems any more, only "shards" from duplicates.

I'm playing the beta so I get like 850 gems/week, but none of my account progress will transfer over to the main game. I might quit then......it'd take ages to rebuild even my tiny collection. Also heroes have rarity (roughly similar to their gold cost) which means that you could get a legendary skin from a chest or you could get kael'thas, same likelihood.

@doombotmecha Which means that you have to play how long to get a character? And am I understanding correctly that all character gains are now random? If it is, that seems like a bad move on Blizzards part.

It's going to be difficult to beat Paladins acquisition rate which is around 1-2 hours per character (I have every single one available after 20 hours of play :O), or something like Duelyst which is 10 hours for a top tier deck. 

Still, I do find the game fun enough to play a game every few months. I just don't know what it would take for me to play it regularly (outside of having too much time on my hands)

Edited by Tartar

I just can't  get into paladins' aesthetic. Nothing against them, I just don't like it. 

You can still buy chars with gold, but you can also get them from chests. or you could get skins, or mounts, or sprays, or banners, or shudders emotes.