Pokemon Reborn Adventures (Chapter 3: A Fern in my Side)

Raviel the Phantom

This is a fun little story I have had in mind of writing today. I am not entirely sure that it belongs here, so do not yell if I'm posting in the wrong spot. Now, ladies and gentlemen, sit down and relax, as I spin a tale of an adventure reborn anew...

Also if members would like to be included in the story, please message me with your desired name and Pokemon. I'll try to incorporate everyone.

Chapter 0: Champion Reborn
"And your name is...Amethyst?" the young man looks at white haired woman curiously.

"Ame is fine, Derek," she answers, clearly knowledgeable of him. "Will you listen to a request?"

Derek nods, finding a seat on a rock as he listens to the girl's tale. She recants of a region far off in a dire need of powerful trainers. Though he appears to listen, he is rather uninterested. His eyes shift to the trees, watching a Darmanitan swing from branch to branch as it playfully chases after a Pichu. A Salamence careening across the sky catches his gaze, carrying a few Bagons on its back. He smiles to himself. Ame notices his lack of focus, clearing her throat to catch his attention.

"Did you catch any of that?" she asks, suppressing her irritancy.

"Yeah, yeah," he answers, "Reborn Region in danger, blah-blah. You need the other region champions to come help. Why don't you ask them?"

"I did," she answers, disappointment lingering in her voice. "All of them were dealing with problems in their own region. Even your brother refused to help."

"Lance?" Derek looks at her with astonishment, "That's not like him..."

"Well, he did," she looks crossed, "You're the only champion that seems to be doing nothing."

"Kanto is a bit boring," he says, leaning back on the rock formation, "I'm the only champion that can travel."

"Then travel to Reborn!" Ame demands.

He lets out a yawn, "I think I'll perform my champion duties instead. Just stay in my den and wait for challengers."

Ame looks around and takes in the place he calls his den. It is an enormous cavern that houses several acres of land. A forest surrounds them while a mountain sits off in the distance. She even had to cross a few lakes just to get to him at the base of the mountain. And every single Pokémon belongs to the Champion of Kanto.

The woman with the white hair is not ready to give up, as an idea comes to mind, "Then I challenge you!"

"Oh?" he sits upright.

"But if I win, you come to the Reborn Region!" she shouts at him.

"Alright," he agrees. "We will have a one-on-one match to decide it then. Fair enough?"

She nods. Derek takes his fingers in his mouth, and lets out a shrill whistle. A second later, a shadow looms over Amethyst, crashing in front of her with so much force it craters the ground. Dust kicks up, as the ferocious form of a Dragonite has appeared. Despite how menacing his Pokemon looks, she shows no sight of fright, throwing out a Pokeball of her own. In a flash of light, an Absol appears. The disaster Pokemon meets its opponent with a vicious howl.

"Absol, Swords Dance!" Ame commands. Her faithful companion becomes enveloped with blades, his attack power skyrockets.

"Not bad," Derek smirks, "Dragonite, Dragon Dance." His beast boosts his own stats, raising speed and attack. "Now, fly!"

The dragon soars to the skies, clear out of range of Absol. Higher and higher it climbs, until it is only a speck. And then, a light rockets down at Absol in the form of a Hyper Beam. Ame bellows a command, as it dodges at the last second. The ground around them is shredded, but Drake keeps his composure. In the wreckage, Absol emerges, having escaped the brunt of the attack.

"Now, Absol," Ame gives her commands, reaching for the necklace draping around her elegant neck, "Mega Evolve!"

Again Absol is enveloped in light, as it body changes. Its fur lengthens, appearing to gain wings. The horn along its head thickens, curving like a crescent moon. The light breaks off it, as Mega Absol takes the battlefield.

"What the heck is that?" Derek gasps.

"I guess you haven't been to Kalos," she says with a smile. "Its called Mega-Evolution. Now, Mega Absol, Night Slash."

Its horn becomes enveloped in a dark shroud, as it thrusts it like a sword. Darkness shreds from it, the black shockwave shreds through the air, and strikes Derek's Dragonite. His faithful beast plummets, taking a critical hit from the attack.

"Dragonite!" he cries out to his partner, "Don't give up, use Dragon Claw!"

"Don't let it," Ame orders, "Finish it with Night Slash!"

Hearing his master's command snaps Dragonite from the freefall. It fans its wings just before it hits the ground. An aura surrounds its claws, its arms glowing with a blue hue. Dragonite roars as it meets Mega Absol's shadowed horn. Their attacks meet, erupting in an explosion. Both Pokémon are consumed in the blast, covered in a light that blinds both trainers.

The light fades and the dust clears, and both Pokémon appear among the uprooted stones and fallen trees. Absol has fallen, losing its mega-form. It does not appear it can continue. Dragonite leans against a pile of stones, yet it remains standing. With a sliver of its health, and high level, it has emerged victorious.

"Looks like I win," Derek says, reaching for a Pokeball at his hip, "Dragonite, time to rest, buddy."

A red light hits his dragon, and he is sucked into the Pokeball. Ame does the same for her Absol, placing a kiss on the ball when her Pokémon returns. She hides her disappointment, thanking her partner with a soft prayer. Having no more champions to call on, she turns to leave...

"Hey wait," Derek calls out for her, causing her to turn. "Ame, tell me, are there other trainers like you?"

"Yes," she answers, hope found in her words, "Some even stronger."

A smile reaches his face, "Well then...it looks like you got yourself a champion. Count me in!"

Edited by Raviel the Phantom

Creative Writing stuff is allowed here as there is no appropriate place to put them for now. Roleplaying is the closest thing to it, and is a bit more active then the wasteland so I don't mind it. do put a tag on it somewhere so people know it isn't and RP, that would be helpful. ((like [CW] or something that indicates it is Creative Writing rather than an RP. I know it should be easy to spot since it won't have an OOC or IC tag, but still I ask you do it for clarity's sake.))

Chapter 1: The Reborn Region

Darkness consumes everything. Natural lights of the passenger cars bask in a white glow, as the train is swallowed by the tunnel. The old steam engine powers through, its wheels clacking along the tracks. Smoke fills the little space that the steel does not, the operators forced to wear breathing masks just to work. Meanwhile, the passengers are a muck of businessmen and travelers coming to Reborn for various purposes. Two, on the other hand, come for more specific reasons. Ame and Derek sit toward the front of the train, seemingly discussing the happenings of the region. The champion sits with his arms folded, listening carefully, but showing clear signs of being cross.

"I still don't understand," he growls. "Why can't I bring any of my Pokemon with me?"

"Because," Ame sighs, "The region is already unstable. We fear bringing in those from other regions could cause a collapse to our environment."

"You call on a champion, but do not allow him to bring him the team that made him one," Derek grumbles. "So what am I suppose to do then?"

"Start over," Ame smiles. "I'm sure a trainer of your caliber could do something simple like that."

"Will you be providing me a starter then?" Derek asks.

"Indeed," she nods. "Once we get to the station, I will take you to the restoration headquarters."

Derek seems to smile at the thought, "As much as it is disappointing not to travel with Dragonite, it will be nostalgic to start anew. I guess I can live with it...for now."

The remaining ride is brief. A shrill cry of the train whistle sees to silence whatever conversation they had left. Steam slithers across the approaching station platform, as the engine comes to a halt. The doors open, and they are greeted by a large mechanical device. It is covered in wires, with a large clock at its center. Red numbers count down to zero, only seven seconds remaining. Ame is the first to realize the threat, wrapping herself around Derek and throwing them through the sealed doors opposite of the bomb.

"Get down," she screams.

KABOOM

An explosion destroys the station, the train, and many innocent lives. Fire sweeps through like a vicious serpent, devouring those who are spared the shrapnel. Smoke billows from the station, while the screams of dying fill the air. Survivors manage to escape, but many are horribly injured. Ame remains still, Derek pinned underneath her.

"Ame," he groans, "You okay?"

She does not answer him. Their faces mere inches apart, he does not feel her breath on his. Eyes are closed, as if she is asleep, but he fears the worst. He grabs the back of her head, pulling their lips together to fill her lungs. But as their lips touch, her eyes open wide. Red flushes across her face, and then she thanks his concern with a slap across the face. Derek yelps, markings of her hand sting his cheek.

"What the heck was that for?" Ame says, blushing like a bride.

He rubs his face as he looks up at her, "I thought you stopped breathing..."

"So you kissed me?" she seems angrier.

"No," Derek defends his actions, "It was C-"

"Hey, hey," a voice calls out to them.

Looking over, through the pouring rain and sweeping smoke of the dying fires comes a girl with hair of emerald green. A yellow shirt and skirt makes her stand out among the others, while the pom-poms in her hands make her a bit of an oddity. Ame realizes that she is still straddling Derek and gets to her feet.

"Julia..." she speaks coldly to the girl, "What did you do?"

"That wasn't me!" the girl gasps at the accusation. "I would never boom the train station. You know that Ame."

"Yeah," she answers, rubbing her temple. She then turns to Derek, "Look, I have to go deal with this matter. Meet me at the restoration tower, I'll give you your Pokemon there."

Before Derek can even get to his feet, Amethyst is off and walking, police officers swarming around her. He is left with the cheer-leading-looking girl who looks at him with bright eyes.

"Can I help yo-"

"Pop Quiz!" she shouts, making his heart jump to his throat. "Are you going to challenge the Reborn League?"

"I guess..." Derek answers, "But-"

"Hurray!" Julia shouts, throwing her pom-poms in the air, waving them like she does not care. "That means you will be battling me first. Can't wait! See you then!"

Julia jumps up and down as she scurries off, leaving Derek in a state of confusion. "What have I gotten myself into?" he wonders, but smiles nevertheless.

Left alone, Derek goes to the only place he knows, the large tower off in the distance. He leaves the destroyed station behind. A short walk through concerned citizens and mourning family members, he finds himself at the steps of the tower. There seems to be another girl waiting for him. Quite opposite of the energetic Julia, she appears to be calm and clearheaded. A battle kimono drapes across her form, while her black hair is matted from the downpour.

"You must be Derek," she answers.

"And you are?" he asks.

"Victoria," the girl answers calmly. "Ame asked me to help you get your first Pokemon. I'm starting my journey too."

The young girl leads the Kanto Champion inside. All sorts of people are insider, whether they are victims of the bombing, Derek cannot say. Yet at the other end of the tower, he spots a familiar face. Ame is already here.

"You're back already?" he asks.

"The culprit was quickly caught fleeing the scene." she answers. "We are interrogating him downstairs."

"Oh wow," Victoria chimes in, "So does that mean you can get us our Pokemon?"

"Us?" Ame looks curiously.

"Kiki asked that I journey around Reborn as part of my training," she explains, "She says it would be best if I started over too."

Ame thinks, "Well I normally reserve it for new arrivals, but I'll make an exception for Kiki. If it is okay with you, I'll have Derek go first."

Victoria nods, and she motions for him to follow. Up a flight of stairs, takes them to a room with three sets of tables. Derek looks wide-eyed as he spots a large assortment of Pokeballs lying on the tables.

"We have collected starters from every region," Ame explains. "The first table is grass, then fire, and finally water." Derek does not answer, causing her to ask, "Is something the matter?"

"I'm just not used to picking from eighteen," he chuckles. "Three is what I'm used to, its a bit overwhelming."

"Please, take your time," Ame says, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He shakes his head, "No, I think I'm good. I choose..."

Chapter 2: Through Fire and Cain

Reaching for the Pokeball, he picks up the perfect partner. Tossing it in the air, the ball opens up, bursting with light. It shines onto the floor, taking shape as the Pokemon is released. As the light fades, a small lizard is sitting at his feet. Its orange scales dance in the shadows of the embers on its tail. The little one looks up at its new master with eyes full of hope. An adorable creature in all sense, yet it boasts power.

"So you choose Charmander?" Ame asks the champion.

"Yeah," Derek answers, glancing down to the little lizard. "You okay with that, little guy?"

"Charmander, Char" the starter says, smiling as best as it can.

Ame smiles, watching Derek return his new-found friend to its Pokeball. "Would you like to give him a nickname?"

"Nah," Derek shakes his head. "Never was creative in that..."

"Very well," Ame reaches for something in her pocket. "I'm sure you know the drill. Pokedex and such."

She hands him a red device that is all too familiar. Along with it are five Pokeballs, ready for him to catch a full team. He takes them, and opens up the Pokedex. As expected, the pages are completely blank. Although it is not his job to fill it up in this place, it will be good to keep it handy. Next, the balls are placed at his belt, ready to snatch up any Pokemon he wants. A few minor gear tags along with the bulk of his new setup. With everything situated, he returns to the main room, where Victoria is waiting patiently.

"So what Pokemon did you pick?" she asks enthusiastically.

"Yeah right, like I'd tell you," Derek sneers.

"Pardon?" she looks quite confused.

"You are going to pick a Pokemon that has type advantage over mine," he accuses. "I've dealt with enough 'rivals' in my journey."

She laughs, "Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything stupid like that. I already know what I want."

Derek blushes, feeling foolish for his behavior. He steps out of the way, allowing her to meet with Ame to get her own Pokemon. Not long in the lobby he eyes a rather attractive girl. Everything about her is violate, from her hair to her attire. She is intoxicating, so much that he blushes upon her approach. She notices his gawking, and giggles, making his heart leap up in his chest. Getting closer she gives him a musing look with grey eyes.

"Hey you're cute," she giggles.

"Thanks, you're pretty..." his voice trails when he hears her voice. "Holy crap your a guy!"

"Me oh my you are sharp," he giggles again, sounding just as feminine as before. "What's your name, cutey?"

"Uh, it's Derek," he says, feeling awkward with every passing second. "You?"

"My name is Cain," he says, stepping closer, even the way he moves his hips would suggest he is a girl. "I came here to get a Pokedex from Ame. I'm starting over on my journey through life." he eyes the Pokeballs. "Are you a new trainer too?"

"Yeah," Derek says, grabbing the ball that contains Charmander.

"Hm-hm-hm," he muses, "Then I challenge you to a battle!"

Pretty boy Cain takes the Pokeball at his belt, and tosses it out inside the center. A bright flash of light reveals a Pokemon as violet as the boy's attire. Spiky rabbit-like ears stick out on its head, while a prominent horn jets from its forehead. The creature gives a little battle cry, hissing through its over sized front teeth.

Seeing the opponent's Pokemon, Derek tosses out Charmander, his lizard comrade appears, swaying the embers of his tail into the air. Cain is at the ready, prepared to deal with the fearsome fire-type.

"Charmander," Derek gives the first command, "Let's use Flamethrower."

Charmander roars, rears back his head, and...nothing. He looks to his master for some answers, looking like he is not sure what to do. Derek is dumbfounded, making such a rookie mistake.

"You don't know that move, do you?" he asks his Pokemon.

Charmander shakes his head, looking away from the opponent. Before he can turn back, Cain's Nidoran tackles the lizard, sending him flying into the wall. While the little violet does not appear all that daunting, it packs a punch. Charmander falls, unable to battle.

"Wow," Derek calls back his Pokemon, the sting of defeat has yet to work its way in him. "Your Nidran is really strong."

"Thanks," Cain calls his Nidoran back to the Pokeball. "Come walk with me, we'll get healed up."

A convenient Pokemon Center is just around the corner, and the nurse heals up their partners. While they wait, they are joined by Victoria and Ame.

"There you are Derek," Victoria answers, holding a shiny new Pokeball in her hand. "We were looking for you."

"Oh, I took him," Cain steps in. "Me and Derek had some fun." he grabs Derek's arm and gives him a week."

Victoria and Derek blush simultaneously. She even gasps, "Derek...I didn't know you were like that."

"He meant a battle," Derek says, puling himself out of Cain's grip. "Anyway, Cain I think you have to go talk to Ame about something..."

"Oh right," Ame says, "You wanted to start over too. Come with me then."

"Yes master," Cain giggles.

"Master?" Ame turns back.

"Noooothing," he muses.

Ame looks at him as if he has a second head, but then walks off. Her 'servant' follows, almost skipping as he stays close to her rear. They leave Victoria and Derek alone. Neither says a word, as they know what's going to happen. He takes his newly healed Charmander, and she takes out her brand new partner. Both toss out their Pokemon.

"Let's go!"

Chapter 3: A Fern in my Side

"Charmander use Ember!"

Flames dance from the lizard's tail as it scorches a dog-looking Pokemon. Its black fur stands on end, as it remains standing. The dark-type, Poochyena stands alongside another canine Pokemon, a normal-type known as Lilipup. Two trainers stand side by side commanding their side of the battlefield while Derek stands alone. A new partner stands beside Charmander, one that the former champion rescued from an abandon house. The little gray, cat-like Pokemon stares at its enemies with wide, yet empty eyes. It seems blank, even as the Lillipup comes at it, ready to tackle the odd Pokemon.

"Espurr," Derek alerts his team, "Hit it with Confusion. Charmander, follow up with Scratch."

And the duo gets to work. The furry-faced dog is suddenly blasted backwards by a psychic force contributed by Espurr. When it hits the stone wall, Charmander rushes it, claws tearing into it. It falls over, swirls in its eyes tell it cannot fight anymore.

"Poochyena, use tackle on that Charmander!" he shouts, as his gray-furred Pokemon gets up and charges. It gets in close, ready to hit the lizard, when the Charmander slaps the Pokemon across the face with its flaming tail. Poochyena does not see it coming, and collapses.

"Alright, nice job guys," Derek smiles, returning both Pokemon to their Pokeballs. The happiness he shares quickly fades, as he turns his attention to the two young men, and the blue monkey they have cornered. "What is wrong with you two, trying to harm a Pokemon like that?"

"Hey man," the one says, stepping away from the champion. "We were just foolin' around, that's all. Its a Pokemon anyways, it can swim."

Derek looks ever more cross with both of them on his approach. Grabbing the one by the collar of his shirt, he throws him over the side, shouting, "Let's see if you can swim!" He turns to the other, but he has taken off already down the road. All that remains is the shivering water-type, Panpour. Derek steps closer, and kneels, "Hey, hey, hey, you're okay now..."

The monkey peers up, the spout-shape fur on its head bounces as it sways. Seeing that Derek is not a threat, it runs to him, throwing itself around him, crying as if to thank him for saving his Poke-Life. The little Panpour lets go, and suddenly scurries off, not giving Derek the chance to capture him.

"Hopefully he'll be okay," Derek says to himself, looking at the Pokeballs that hold his Charmander and Espurr. "Let me heal you two up and we'll get going."

After a trip to the Pokemon Center, he finds himself in another part of the city, North Obsidia Ward, if he can read the map on his Pokegear correctly. He sees the desolation that has been inflicted upon Reborn. Decay runs rampant, no doubt from the earthquake that ravaged the city, according to Victoria anyways. He passes a few trainers he had already beaten, none of course wish to fight him again.

"I think I've been up my team a bit," he thinks to himself, "Maybe I'll go find that Julia girl, and challenge her to a badge."

While he thinks, he spots a rather unusual kid staring up at an abandon plant, muttering to himself. He adjusts the glasses on his face to get a look at the facility.

"Is this the place, or was it the other," the young guy thinks to himself. "Ah, I wish Julia would have been more specific." Suddenly, he turns, realizing Derek has been watching him. "And what do you want?"

"Nothing," Derek quickly answers, already familiar with the unfriendly people of the city.

"Yeah right, punk," the guy says. "You don't look to be around here. I'm Fern, a real cool cat and number one at the Onix Trainer School."

Not planning to be outclassed, Derek flaunts his own title, "I'm Derek, Champion of the Kanto Region.

Except it does not work out the way he'd hoped. "Kanto? Ha, I heard that place is full of hicks who can't battle out of a paper bag. I guess if you're the champion, you are maybe decent. Nowhere near as good as me."

"Care to wager that?" Derek grits his teeth, clearly a nerve has been struck.

"Yeah man, I'll humor you," Fern says, tossing out a Pokeball with finest. Out pops an unusual looking Pokemon. A blue creature moves on all fours while an enormous lily-pad sits atop its head.

"I'll make quick work of your Lotad," Derek smirks. "Let's show them what you got, Krikitune!"

He tosses out a third Pokeball he has kept away. Given to him by a young girl with violet hair, this bug type became quite the powerful ally upon its evolving. The cricket like creature comes out, its arms looking like a pair of dual blades.

Fern laughs at the sight of it, "Wow, you're a champion? Only noobs use Pokemon like that."

"We'll see about that," Derek grins. "Alright Krikitune, Fury Cutter!"

Krikitune moves quickly, faster than either his Espurr or Charmander. Its blade like arms glow green as it closes in on Lotad, and strikes. The poor odd Pokemon does not stand a chance, being wiped out in a single blow. Fern looks in dismay for a second, but then calls back his defeated Pokemon. He then tosses out another grass-type, a slender looking snake.

"Snivy," he shouts, "Use leech seed."

His creature obeys, shooting out seeds that strike Krikitune before it can get away. Vines sprout from the seeds, covering the insect-type with an armor of sprouts. Yet it is nothing good for Derek's Pokemon, the vampire-like plant begins to suck away the energy, feeding it to Snivy. Even injured, Krikitune takes its orders, as Derek calls out for another "Fury Cutter". Moving a bit slower, it strikes Snivy, knocking him out in one fell swoop. Fern looks just as dumbstruck as the first time his team member fainted.

"Go, Budew!" he shouts, throwing out his last Pokemon.

A small creature with a closed flower on top of its head comes out. Well aware of what this Pokemon is capable of, Derek withdraws his Krikitune, and calls forth his Charmander.

"A fire-type, talk about cheap, man," Fern taunts.

"Then don't have a team made up of grass-types," Derek answers right back. "That's basics of battling."

"Shut up!" Fern becomes angry, "Budew, use Stun Spore!"

"Charmander, Smokescreen," Derek answers right back.

Before Budew can spray the area with neurotoxic pollen, Charmander covers the field in a thick, smoky mist. The little grass-type looks for its enemy, but cannot find it in the shroud. Charmander attacks from behind, before the poor Budew can even fight back. Its flames scorch the little flower, knocking it out. The mist clears, leaving Fern agitated and Derek victorious.

"Whatever man," Fern grits his teeth. "I got places to be anyways."

The young man takes his Pokemon away with him, purposefully shoving his shoulder into Derek, nearly knocking him over. Left alone again, Derek seems irritated by the meaning, muttering, "Jerk" under his breath. He decides it would be good to heal up before tackling the gym leader. He walks back to the Pokemon Center.

Half an hour later, he finds himself outside the Neo-Circuit Power Plant, otherwise known as Julia's Gym. Going up to the door, he is shocked when it opens up on the other side. None other than Julia meets him, and she looks at him like a savior.

"Derek!" she shouts at him, despite him being a foot away. "Thank god you're here. That guy Ame caught wasn't alone. It's a group that likes to blow up stuff. Not that I blame them for booming stuff, it's fun, BUT NOT IN THIS CASE! They want to blow up my gym!"