"Good" Thread Revival Vs. Necroposting

Chase

The poster has looked at every possible sub-forum and has determined that the 'Grand Hall' is the appropriate place for this topic, as it is most likely akin to a thread that would lead to a possible site suggestion more than anything else. The purpose of this thread is to discuss when forum etiquette is being breached and when a revival of thread is and isn't considered a bad thing. If the thread does not belong in this particular sub-forum, the OP would appreciate it if it was moved to the one deemed most appropriate by a forum moderator.

Hi guys! Today I was thinking about workings behind how to behave and conduct ones self on the forums. One of the things that really stuck out at me was that one needs to know that some things....eventually die, and need to learn when to let go. In the world of thread-based conversation, I'm referring to the ever-dreaded, and possibly sometimes misunderstood "necropost."

To those of you that are new to forum posting, a "necropost" is a post on a thread that had lost it's activity and is outdated. A forum will bring the most recently posted-on thread to the top of the sub-forum and into the spotlight on the main forum. So, when an outdated thread all of a sudden has a new post, it gets put above more recent, and possibly more relevant threads that currently were still active. This is why necroposting is generally frowned upon initially. If the post that causes the thread's revival is devoid of intelligence, doesn't offer a unique opinion, or doesn't offer anything considerably substantial or new to the topic, then the frowning upon is completely justified, and a mod will swoop in and warn the last poster about etiquette.

HOWEVER.

Something that I've noticed in Reborn is that when a Moderator does their job, it's sometimes TOO well. At least, it seems as such, anyway. There are some threads that are NOT bad threads to keep running, and some threads where it's debate-worthy. I'm not going to provide any evidence threads here, because 1. The thread being a valid thread to keep alive is largely based on my opinion, as is much of this post from this point downward, and 2. Providing a thread would put the moderator that felt like action or warning needed to be taken under the bus. The Moderators are only doing their job here.

So, without providing ACTUAL threads to strengthen my argument, I'm going to detail for the greater good of ALL of us, what types of threads are Good, Debate-worthy, and Bad to revive.

BAD threads to revive. (Have to start here. Rules are rules, and etiquette is a thing. I'm not inspiring the next French Revolution.)

• Threads that ask specific questions and only need ONE answer. The only time it is appropriate to offer an answer after the question in the original post has received an answer is when the above "answers" are not the solution, and it's on the part of the original poster to indicate as such by replying with a post that indicates the solution didn't fix his or her problem.
  • Threads that talk about outdated issues, such as the news-post for Episode 10 of Reborn (when we're currently on Episode 12)
  • Threads that were created before the creation of a stickied, or pinned, thread that provides possible solutions. Again, outdated, and not without answers.
  • Threads that are copies of other threads
  • Threads that have already been addressed and are thus in need of a lock. (original posters out there, If you feel your topic can be closed, ASK for a lock!)
  • Role-Playing threads that have been abandoned for a month or longer.
  • Expired/Dormant Interest Checks for Role-Playing threads.

Grey Area threads. (Threads where you better have a good argument if a mod approaches you, but where it's possible.)

• General conversation threads that have died out for a substantial amount of time.
  • Posts where the intent is to help spur better forum habits.
  • Threads where the solution isn't posted outright, but is implied to have been found.

GOOD threads to post in.

• Opinion or personal input threads.
  • Threads that have yet to receive proper solution and the solution isn't implied.
  • "Active" threads. (do be on the look for necroposts before posting in something that may "appear" active!)
  • "New" topics.
  • "Active" Interest Checks for role-playing.
  • "Open" RPs, assuming your character has been approved in it's associated IC thread.
  • Threads created by ones self, assuming new information is to be recorded or if a problem persists.

TL:DR?

The forum moderators work very hard to ensure this forum stays lively and relevant, and hopefully the information above further helps them out in that the community knows when to revive threads and when not to. This also can be used as a frame of reference to defend a post, assuming it does have relevance.

Edited by Hilda

What about my guide to those weird X doors? I obviously bring it back briefly every new episode to add any new doors and edit the descriptions of old ones. Not to mention, when they all finally open, it'll probably get pinned or something, because at that point there will inevitably be a lot of threads asking stuff like "Am I missing any of these?"

Edited by Eagleby18

Ah, thanks Hilda. I don't think this was asked for (at least I didn't ask for it) but I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write it.

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to potentially cracking down on necroposting a bit too much. It's very easy to get into tunnel vision about stuff like this, so I'm glad for the guide so long as it's agreed that the parameters that you've outlined are appropriate guidelines for us.

As for it's placement? I'm pretty sure this is the best place for it. Now excuse me while I pin this one.

What about my guide to those weird X doors? I obviously bring it back briefly every new episode to add any new doors and edit the descriptions of old ones. Not to mention, when they all finally open, it'll probably get pinned or something, because at that point there will inevitably be a lot of threads asking stuff like "Am I missing any of these?"

Your posting in your own guide to the X door locations is a perfectly good example of when necroposting is appropriate. We have no issue with people updating their own threads with relevant information. Generally speaking we shouldn't have any issue with other people bringing info either so long as it's relevant to the topic. As for whether or not it'll get pinned, that probably depends on how important they all end up being.

"I obviously bring it back briefly every new episode to add any NEW doors and EDIT the descriptions of old ones."

You're not necroposting because that thread receives new relevance whenever you supply it with new information. :)

Well, since Hilda doesn't want to get on anyone's bad side i guess, let me show some "evidence" instead:

Take a look at this topic

A topic from 2012 was revived for some time because someone asked about the episodes names. That topic is still important, because it has the name of the episodes, and that's important for people interested in the game. That topic can be revived again because that topic doesn't have an "answer". a.k.a the game is not finished, so if someone asks about episode's 14 name in there, it can be revived again.

I could revive that topic asking "what the name of each episode is based in?"

But, i want to show somethign else. A better example. Here.

yes hilda it's your topic

That topic is not old, ofc. Last post was in September 22th, so it's whatever. But what if someone post on this topic, let's say... in 2017? Would that be necroposting?

i don't think so.

The reason for that it's simple: That topic has no "answer". It's a topic where anyone can post as long as it relates to the original post (On that case, posting your tendencies in pokemon games). And those are the kind of topics that are most accused of necroposting.

With that being said, i really like the way you pointed out the "bad topics" to post in. It's a good topic and hopefully, can clear some confusion in the future.

I can't be a hypocrite though. When i was in the staff, i've locked so many topics for no reason, it wasn't funny. I guess you just learn to deal with some stuff...

Would posting on a topic such as the "Unique Trainer Tendencies" thread be necroposting, if it was very a old thread and a newer one of the same purpose has been created? I'm thinking of these 2 :

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1942

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9922

The threads have pretty much the same purpose, one is really old but hasn't seen activity in a while, but it's still one of the "Opinion or personal input threads". So would it still be necroposting if someone were to post on the first one?

The problem on that case, is that someone created a new topic because the old one died.

On that case, i'll agree with you. Yes, it would be necroposting, because there's a new thread for that. The problem, is that both topics are in different places, so it would be kinda hard to know where to post. You did a good thing imo though, since you redirected people to the new topic.

I'll give an example, and sorry to throw this one in your direction Sheep:

Here

This topic doesn't have an answer, does not have a winner. It's a topic for people to post their playtime, and although that's not the "most useful topic ever", it doesn't matter. The point of that topic is not to be useful anyway.

It's still kinda hard when to decide something is necropost or not. While Ame found no problem in answering that 2012 topic, i wouldn't do it probably. It's the reason why i appreciate this topic, and i'll keep in mind from now on. I used to accuse a lot of posts of necropost too... i wonder how many good topics i killed like that... hmm...

Would posting on a topic such as the "Unique Trainer Tendencies" thread be necroposting, if it was very a old thread and a newer one of the same purpose has been created? I'm thinking of these 2 :

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1942

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9922

The threads have pretty much the same purpose, one is really old but hasn't seen activity in a while, but it's still one of the "Opinion or personal input threads". So would it still be necroposting if someone were to post on the first one?

I think Vinny covered it here. The reason I started Unique Trainer Tendencies was because I wasn't able to find a thread that served that exact purpose that had been created already.

If you're asking on the posting in a NEW topic being Necropost, I would say no, but if you were to find the old one and post there, It's more-so a grey area. I -personally- would say it isn't necropost due to the establishment that these threads are merely personal input threads,,

CLARIFICATION: Etesian, thank you for pointing those two threads out though. The newer thread is a "copy" thread, which pits two of my clauses against each other. This is where the grey area comes in. This makes means you did the BEST possible thing a Mod could do in that sense with your second point.

If I were to come across that scenario with mod powers, I would lock the older thread a day or two after making the post that you did.

Edited by Hilda

Out of curiosity, how old should a topic be for it to be considered necroposting?

For instance: Someone posts in troubleshooting that they accidentally autosaved in the wrong place. I've seen several instances where people are posting for help with save files a month or two after the original persons problem at hand was resolved on the same thread. Would this be better off starting a new topic?

Thanks for clearing the record Hilda.

As a moderator I am aware that we do bring down the law, so to speak harshly or somewhat just for necroposters but there are threads that are supposed to be updated over a span of time. Whoever pinned this should get a cookie and I highly approve of this thread. :P

It should be noted that RP threads that are over a few months or older are almost always not good to revive since the interest is most likely all gone, and the person probably doesn't have time for it anymore, or moved on already.

Also interest Checks for RPs are automatically locked by me if they get to a point where people are not interested, or if they have an OOC already I do as well. IC threads are also supposed to be locked after the chapter completes. So luckily, I can keep most necroposting from ever happening.