Tomas Elliot presents: a Mix and Mega RMT, featuring Nova

Tomas Elliot

INTRODUCTION

Greetings, people of Reborn. If you have been following the Showdown Roleplays topic as of late, you should know that I am one of the people who, since Smogon announced it latest OM, have jumped on the Mix and Mega bandwagon, along with Pyrromanis and a few more. What I like about the tier is the absolute lack of any competitive reasoning, when it comes to teambuilding: preparing for the tier's most relevant threat is absolutely impossible because, between the craziness you can create my swapping mega stones around and the fact that Ubers are technically legal to use, there are just too many. So yeah, the idea is simply to make a team around the Pokemon you have always wanted to see mega evolving, and/or absolutely insane stuff like Pixilate/Aerilate/Refrigerate paired with the likes of Fake Out, Extremespeed, and Boomburst. Just give your mons mega stones that you think could make them better, and go crazy, this is the basic philosophy. A philosophy that I embraced wholeheartedly. So without further ado, I give to you my creation, which just so happens to be the first RMT for this tier to be posted in this forum.

AT A GLANCE

rmiOwtx.pngvejnJPB.pngdtvpZ6O.pngb8ZkgNK.pngL2nzss0.pngaTHYATN.png

Cool sprites, uh? Nova made them, he is the best spriter in the world. He also provided some advice concerning some specific choices, as detailed in the in-depth section. So yeah, here you have 3 hard hitters, 2 supporters and one bulky attacker. It is a very fun team to use, so much so in fact that it ALMOST made me forget the fact that I hate mega evolution as a concept. I made it a point to avoid using anything Ubers: I find that in a tier like this, the real fun comes from taking lesser Pokemon and making them hit harder than ubers. I am quite satisfied by the result, although the team is far from perfect (just think of all the possible combinetion I might have failed to consider!). But hey, screw perfection, this is all about the fun.

IN-DEPTH BREAKDOWN

rmiOwtx.png@ Lopunnite

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Intimidate and 160 HP EVs make this guy decently bulky, allowing it to lead safely and/or to switch into resisted hits. The substantial bonus Lopunnite gives to Atk allows Landorus to hit ridiculously hard even with only 96 EVs, and even Spe, traditionally Lando's weak point, is patched up to decent levels upon mega evolving. Coverage is great, also thanks to the change in type, making it very difficult for opponents to switch into this hard hitter. My only issue is that Scrappy hardly ever comes into play, because the only relevant Ghost-type Pokemon that sees usage in this tier is Gengar (which resists the Fighting type anyway), so yeah, I am actually considering Mewtwonite X... Although that would be against my policy of using non-Uber stuff. Originally I had a Conkeldurr in this spot, so yeah, thanks Nova for suggesting this guy instead.

vejnJPB.png @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Another Pokemon suggested by Nova, which actually has quite the history. Originally, my goal was to use Pixilate Boomburst, so I went with Flygon because I liked the STAB coverage it would get with Altarianite (Boomburst + Earth Power, good stuff). However, the bugger was very slow, so Nova recommended trying out Noivern instead. Which I did, but the fact is that Altarianite doesn't boost Spe, and Noivern doesn't get many moves that have good coverage with Boombust. So I ultimately went with Pidgeotite: with 3 powerful moves that have good coverage and never miss, as well as SpAtk and Spe both boosted greatly, Noivern is now a very dangerous Pokemon that hits like a truck. It's frail, but who cares. The custom sprite has pink elements because it was made with Altarianite in mind, now that I have settled with Pidgeotite I should probably get Nova to make a new one...

dtvpZ6O.png@ Glalitite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Feint
- Low Kick

Refrigerate Fake Out is insane to keep priority spammers at bay (it is neutral on all Pinsirite E-Speed users, and supereffective on Pixiespeed Zygarde), Refrigerate Return gives Weavile the strong, safe to use Ice-type STAB move it has always desired, and both Atk and Spe are off the charts. Coverage isn't really needed on this guy, as it is so frail that i cannot hope to deal with... Well, pretty much anything, so I went with Feint to further troll Extremespeed users, and Low Kick as the sole coverage option, to hit Heatran on the switch (thanks to Pyrromanis for suggesting this set). What you want to do with it is to use Fake Out and Return to hit hard, hoping to kill as many enemies as possible in the process.

b8ZkgNK.png@ Ampharosite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Basically, it is the usual Mew doing its usual stallbreaker job. Except it needs Mold Breaker to do so, because of all the things that carry Magic Bounce in this tier. I am actually considering Toxic over WoW because frankly, WoW isn't as important in this tier, the few physical attackers that are very common AND can be crippled by WoW are so powerful that, unless they carelessly switch into my WOW, chances are they will kill me before I can status them. So yeah, using Toxic to put a timer on enemy stallers and wear down their walls is probably better than trying to stop physical sweeper with WoW...

L2nzss0.png@ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish

Speaking of Magic Bounce. This thing never dies and cannot be taunted, so the idea is to use it as a multi-purpose tank to take most hits on both sides of the spectrum, and heal back with Soft-Boiled. Seismic Toss is the standard offensive move to tak away 100 HPs from the opponent, while Shadow Ball is there because this is my dedicated counter for Pidgeotite Gengar (what with bouncing back Hypnosis, being immune to Shadow Ball, and taking about 35% from Focus Blast). Healing Wish is an emergency Full Heal in case the opponent has managed to pressure one of my other key Pokemon (for example, if they carry both Altarianite Entei and Glalilite Weavile, they will put a lot of pressure on my Heatran).

aTHYATN.png@ Latiasite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

With pretty good bulk on both sides of the spectrum, Levitate to remove the main weakness, and a gargantuan SpAtk, Heatran is even more annoying than it is in OU. Its job is more or less the same, set rocks then hit switch ins hard, only now it hits MUCH harder and is bulkier. Its typing also makes it ideal to check all things Fairy, including Pixiespeed. Zygarde in particular cannot touch the guy at all, once it starts levitating.

CONCLUSIONS

Welp, there you have it. I am sure there are so many options, in this crazy tier, that I have failed to consider, so I think it would be nice if we could turn this RMT topic into an occasion to discuss the tier some more, possibly spreading some interest in it in the process. I honestly must say that I rarely have as much fun, in competitive Pokemon, as I have in this tier. Importable in the spoiler below.

Landorus-Therian @ Lopunnite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Noivern @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Weavile @ Glalitite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Feint
- Low Kick

Mew @ Ampharosite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish

Heatran @ Latiasite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

great bulid tbh and works quite well tested myself there is the fact that makes me cry thinking what game breaker would a lopunnynite Mega regigigas would be with drain punch Return Crush grip and a coverage move like ice punch earthquake in the last slot yeah i know thats why the banned regigigas from getting a mega but the game breaking power

Edited by NovaKnight

Classic Mix and Mega team that gets the job done most of the times! I just want to point some things:

Lopunnite>Mewtwonite X 100% of the time for Lando! The speed boost upon mega evolving is crucial since the Incarnate form of Landorus is outsped by many pokemon. It already has high attack and most pokemon in this tier get 1 or 2 shot either way. Also Steadfast will be as useless as Scrappy since the most common Fake Out users hold Glalitite or Pinsirite which are super effectice and hit really hard. And even if it gets the Steadfast boos it is still weak to all the Espeed spammers.

Since you were using Flygon with Altarianite for the typing you can try it on Lando and replace Noivern's mega stone with Salamencite and see how it works.

Personally I prefer Air Slash over Hurricane for the flinches and accuracy since most of the times you will spam Boomburst, but that's upon your preferences.

Get rid of poison Jab. As you have said yourself you almost never use the coverage moves. Give it Low Kick to crash opposing Heatrans that think they can wall you. Usualy you can't KO it with one Fake Out followed by a Low Kick, so you need to wear it down a bit before. Also Feint can be used as a surprised factor for weakened Espeed spammers that think can revenge kill you!

Since you run Healing Wish on Blissey, you can drop Wsih-Protect for Softboiled and a coverage move to hit ghosts.

Last but not least, THESE FREAKIN SPRITES ARE AWESOME!!! :wub:

But wait, I thought Feint only worked if the opponent is using Protect? o.O

it got changed in gen 5 with a decrease in base power to compensate now its a slightly weaker quick attack with perks

Edited by NovaKnight

Another cool thing you could try is Sleep Talk on something to have something to switch into all these annoying Jesuite Gengars and Juuite Brelooms and not get crippled by sleep. Blissey won't have already mega'd in every game when these things real their ugly faces... and it's nice to troll them anyway. Allthough there's no obvious candidate: Gengar resists Boomburst (allthough it should still do gigantic damage), ST on Weavile could bone you with Fake Out on a turn you'd not want, and Lando loves all four of its moves too much. But it could help you not having something crippled in many games.

Yeah...

Anyway, I ultimately wasn't satisfied with Keldeo, so I went back to Lopunnite Landorus. On the other hand, Noivern proved to be much more effective with Pidgeotite than with Altarianite, and the set Pyrromanis suggested for Weavile is awesome. Editing OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've been trying out Chandelure with Pidgeotite with mixed results. What makes it scary is being able to fire off base 100 power Infernos never missing that guarantee a burn from a Pokemon with an earth-shattering 205 BASE Special Attack and a decent 100 base Speed. Basically it is currently a mother of all wallbreakers. Combine that with Hex and holy...

It's still too bad the Fire typing is replaced by Flying.

Chandelure @ Pidgeotite

Ablity: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Timid Nature

- Calm Mind

- Hex

- Pain Split

- Inferno

It's kinda fun to screw around with.

It's still too bad the Fire typing is replaced by Flying.

Are you sure? I don't remember Pidgeotite altering the typing, Mega Pidgeot is still Normal/Flying like its base form IIRC.

Regardless, my only perplexity is that a brutal wallbreaker like that needs to be speedy, in order to force opponents out. And well, base 100 is kinda meh for Spe in this tier.