One small thing that's been bugging me...

Marcello

• Developers

Now, this may well have been addressed by an NPC that I missed the conversation with or somesuch, but as I was thinking about my playthrough and starting a second one, something sprung to mind and it's now been bugging me. Namely,

the battles with Victoria. You fight her a number of times before the events at Apophyll, and indeed, one last time (so far) at the academy. And her pokemon rather swiftly climb above level 20. And she didn't get any badges, as was revealed by Kiki. Now, the conversation seemed to imply she had never challenged the league before she started over and got her new pokemon, meaning that she wouldn't have any old badges, either. And the Fury badge is so far the only one that DOESN'T raise the level cap, so Kiki can't've just given her one for convenience. Which raises the question: How do her pokemon still obey her?

I mostly wanna know if there's just something I've missed in regards to this, or it's just an unexplained thing, because it's really been on my mind for a day or two, now. Thanks for anyone that has answers to this, if it's explained, or if it's just an unimportant thing, or if perhaps it's a hint at things to come.

Victoria for champion.

I think it's the same reason Cain's Pokemon and even other NPC trainer's Pokemon obey them despite going past the theoretical level cap: Gameplay/Story Segregation. The level cap only really matters to us because we're the ones playing the game; NPCs don't have to adhere to it because they're just NPCs. Unless you think that all of the trainers that we've seen through this point have the same number of badges like we do, it's just best to not think too hard about that aspect.

• Developers

I think it's the same reason Cain's Pokemon and even other NPC trainer's Pokemon obey them despite going past the theoretical level cap: Gameplay/Story Segregation. The level cap only really matters to us because we're the ones playing the game; NPCs don't have to adhere to it because they're just NPCs. Unless you think that all of the trainers that we've seen through this point have the same number of badges like we do, it's just best to not think too hard about that aspect.

Honestly, I was fine assuming most random trainers did have appropriate badge numbers. Just because I could assume that.

And the grasshole always has a buncha badges. In fact, I can even give him and Cain vague exceptions because (backup) gym leader privellages and all that or something. So I feel like it's justified for pretty much everyone in that sense. Except Victoria, who is not only actively stated to have no badges, we're also aware thanks to plot that she was NOT the backup fighting leader (She may well be now, but wasn't at the time she was breaking the rules.)

I mean, I'm fine with accepting it as gameplay/story segregation, of course. I'm well aware that's a thing. It's just the fact that because I only found one case I considered unexplainable, I felt there may well be an explanation I'd missed.

Or you can think that, you need badges to gain respect and love from your pokemons. And all the other NPC's and main Characters dosen't need badges because they have respect and love. Well, except for Fern who found out she didn't have any respect and had to get badges, so she would not destroy her family reputation.

Well, all this makes sens in my brain except for my self. Dosen't my poke love me and respect me. (Feel very sad.) But it's a game, that will never know I love it. But I truly do. Thanks Ame for all those feels.

Well, that went out of my hands. It's only a theory, and we will never get a real answer.

Honestly, I was fine assuming most random trainers did have appropriate badge numbers. Just because I could assume that.

And the grasshole always has a buncha badges. In fact, I can even give him and Cain vague exceptions because (backup) gym leader privellages and all that or something. So I feel like it's justified for pretty much everyone in that sense. Except Victoria, who is not only actively stated to have no badges, we're also aware thanks to plot that she was NOT the backup fighting leader (She may well be now, but wasn't at the time she was breaking the rules.)

I mean, I'm fine with accepting it as gameplay/story segregation, of course. I'm well aware that's a thing. It's just the fact that because I only found one case I considered unexplainable, I felt there may well be an explanation I'd missed.

Well Fern stated explicitly that he's taking the League challenge too. In addition, he has Rival's Privilege TM , meaning that he'll always have more badges than we do. That said, Cain having backup gym leader privileges would also end up extending to Fern as well since he's Florinia's back up.

It still doesn't explain Victoria though. Gameplay/Story Segregation is all I can come up with