Gyarados Movesets?

Timber Dragon

Maybe this just demonstrates my incompetence as a Pokemon Trainer, but I actually don't see what the big deal is with Gyarados (don't kill me, Vinny!). I think it's because I just don't know how to properly use one. I don't like its natural moveset; it only gets STAB on two of its attacks, and its higher end ones don't even have a 100 percent accuracy (I get nervous using those kind of attacks... I've found I can't count on them). My only assumption is to TM the crap out of it. But, TMs are in short supply in Reborn.

I feel guilty for not using a resident ass kicker of the Pokeymans world, but my general incompetence means it's been collecting dust in my PC since I got it. I'd like to change that. Going by the obtainable TMs in Reborn, what sort of movesets do you recommend for a Gyarados?

but I actually don't see what the big deal is with Gyarados

Do you expect an answer after that? I should ban you if i had the powers to do so...

But being honest, you're right... Gyarados doesn't get many moves in it's normal moveset, so yeah... Give me a second though...

EDIT: Okaaay... Let's see:

Dragon Dance: A Gyarados that doesn't dance is a useless Gyarados... Use it or give up using Gyarados... Your choice...

Aqua Tail: Your best bet until Waterfall... The 90% accuracy IS annoying, but really... Hi Jump Kick also has 90% accuracy, and a nasty recoil, but people don't complain about it (That 130 base power tho...)

Ice Fang: That's a very usefull coverage move for now... You can change it to Stone Edge in the future, but... meh... Also, 95% accuracy is good enough, just don't hit something with Double Team/Minimize...

Bite: Like 2tousent already said before, "why this thing doesn't get Crunch"? Well, Bite has 60 base power, coming from something that has 125 base attack... Not bad (I don't use it though...)

Other random stuff:

Facade - Hm... Can be useful for some situation, but... meh, it would be better on Slaking or something...

Strength - For now is a good option... 80 base power... not bad

Rock Smash - .............

Earthquake - Now that's a move that Gyarados can use! It's... what? Earthquake is not in Reborn yet? *Flips Computer*

Gyarados is power though, and is bound to get better (Watch out for Doctor Connal and Hardy though...) But really, for a physical water type, there is another thing that i can recommend if you don't want Gyarados...

C'mon, you know what i'm talking about...

C'mooooooooooooooooooon

azumarill.gif

Edited by Vinny953

Maybe this just demonstrates my incompetence as a Pokemon Trainer, but I actually don't see what the big deal is with Gyarados (don't kill me, Vinny!). I think it's because I just don't know how to properly use one. I don't like its natural moveset; it only gets STAB on two of its attacks, and its higher end ones don't even have a 100 percent accuracy (I get nervous using those kind of attacks... I've found I can't count on them). My only assumption is to TM the crap out of it. But, TMs are in short supply in Reborn.

I feel guilty for not using a resident ass kicker of the Pokeymans world, but my general incompetence means it's been collecting dust in my PC since I got it. I'd like to change that. Going by the obtainable TMs in Reborn, what sort of movesets do you recommend for a Gyarados?

gyarados just isnt at its fullest potential without moxie and d dance (ive swept countless trainers including but not limited to Radomus AND luna with moxie + aqua tail + bite + ice fang + d dance)

long story short: get on gyaradoss level

I use D.Dance, Ice Fang and Trash, with the last being used more in wild battles for the sake of PP. If you set up a Dragon Dance and kill something with Moxie, there´s not much that can stop it. It was a thing of beauty how it swept bennet for me with Sleep Powder support from Venussaur - two Dances on Larvesta > slaughter.

Edited by Notus

Luckily my Gyarados does indeed have Moxie. Looks like Dragon Dance comes a bit later down the line, but I'll hold out for it. From what I'm hearing, a Gyarados might as well not be a Gyarados without DD. I'd need to grind it up to that point anyway since my Pokes are already nearing their 50s. I guess I can manage with the less-than-perfect accuracy of its other attacks since I don't have many options, and they seem like decent moves, anyway. Thanks for helping me not suck, guys! :)