Could I get some help with making a team please before the 8th gym?

Fizz

My current team consists of:

Flygon (Level 47. I'm grinding it up to 55-57ish still)

Moveset:

Crunch

Rock Slide

Earth Power

Dragon Tail

Gengar (Level 57)

Movset:

Hypnosis

Dream Eater

Dark Pulse

Shadow Ball

Magmar (Level 58)

Moveset:

Flamethrower

Fire Blast

Faint Attack

Sunny Day

Feraligatr (Level 55)

Moveset:

Crunch

Ice Fang

Water Gun (It doesn't learn any good water moves till 63 :( )

Chip Away

Lucario (Level 57)

Moveset:

Close Combat

Aura Sphere

Calm Mind

Shadow Ball

Gardevoir (Level 52)

Moveset:

Pyschic

Calm Mind

Magical Leaf

Double Team

I also have a Level 50 Honchcrow and Unfezant and Quagsire (Knows Earthquake so it's helpful) in my PC. But I feel like my team could be a whole lot better. Any suggestions? Should I get Mudkip or Bulbasaur. What would help my team overall? Should I download 10.6 and get 6th gen pokemon? And if so, which? I only played up to 5th pokemon so I don't know what to get.

Edited by Fizz

8th is Psychic, correct?

Get that Honchkrow for the immunities and also level up your Pokemon to their nearly full levels. This can often be the difference.

I appreciate this, thank you! But I also meant for further on in the game. Not necessarily the just the 8th gym. I should have been clearer. My bad

I appreciate this, thank you! But I also meant for further on in the game. Not necessarily the just the 8th gym. I should have been clearer. My bad

I always run more than 6 Pokemon. Just sub in for what that gym or battle requires and makes sure you train all of them.

Definitely throw in honchkrow for the psychic gym but scrafty and pancham (10.5) would be great additions! I haven't played this far ahead but another Poke that i could imagine being useful is Drapion which you can catch as a skorupi in dozens of places. Bug types would be good for the 8th gym as well so have you considered Heracross or Pinsir? Personally feel bulbasaur is outclassed by the amazing roserade though mudkip is quite handy as a swampert. Lastly a bulky steel type would definitely be handy so have you thought about aggron?

I know I recommended a lot of pokemon but having a flexible rotation makes this game so much easier!

I've seen some people that train and keep track of over 14 Pokemon. You pretty much need subs if you want to do well and make the game easier. I myself have 10. And it's the perfect amount to cover all types and everything else, especially when I'm not running a competitive team with no training what so ever.

Definitely throw in honchkrow for the psychic gym but scrafty and pancham (10.5) would be great additions! I haven't played this far ahead but another Poke that i could imagine being useful is Drapion which you can catch as a skorupi in dozens of places. Bug types would be good for the 8th gym as well so have you considered Heracross or Pinsir? Personally feel bulbasaur is outclassed by the amazing roserade though mudkip is quite handy as a swampert. Lastly a bulky steel type would definitely be handy so have you thought about aggron?

I know I recommended a lot of pokemon but having a flexible rotation makes this game so much easier!

Thank you for the suggestions! I do in fact have an Aron in my PC and it looks like that would help. And you can get Budew in the Obsidia ward on a sunny day correct? I'll keep this in mind.

I've seen some people that train and keep track of over 14 Pokemon. You pretty much need subs if you want to do well and make the game easier. I myself have 10. And it's the perfect amount to cover all types and everything else, especially when I'm not running a competitive team with no training what so ever.

Ah. That makes more sense. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up doing this as well thought it will be a pain.

Are you using 10.5? Some of his pokemon receive a fairy type so dark types are less valuable now. You should get a steel type to deal with those. In the long run I found Sharpedo to be useful if you need a water type! :)

Edited by Smithy

train hard and trust in your pokemon,, have reserve pokemons to counter each types,, it's preferably better if your pokemon knows different moves or moves that is super effective againts the pokemon it is weak against,,

for your tEAM, it's nice.

might consider breeding flygon to learn EARTHQUAKE instead of earth power..

like the others said you must train a GRASS type to hit water types, VENUSAUR is amazing especially if it has Chlorophyll ability to compliment with your Magmars Sunny day

Get all your pokemon to level 58 or something. If you're doing it in 10.5, I'd use Quagsire instead of Flygon. As Smithy Said, Radomus' pokemon recieve a fairy typing, but only G.Gardevoir does and he's given it Moonblast. That Flygon will be down before you can say squeak goes for cheese if you pit it against 10.5.

As Crimson states, Radomus DOES have a water typer. That would be Starmie. I cant remember for sure what his pokemon were, but he had alakazam, starmie, gallade, and gardevoir as of 10.5. Dark types are probably pointless, my pangoro lost to that fricking starmie.

Here's a tip, if you still have a linkstone, I'd recommend getting Gourgeist or Aromatisse if you're going to do it in 10.5. I had 4 dark types and I only used one in 10.5, so it goes to show how useless they were for me. Im keeping Pangoro though. A ninetales with drought would be a good idea to counter the starmie's surf. Just saying. By the way, I got Budew on a rainy day, so I think you only have to get a rose incense for it to appear. Also, Roserade's kinda pointless until you go up against Hardy, Laura, and Amaria. And whoever is the ground type gym leader, who I doubt is appearing anytime soon.

Here are my recommendations if youre using Ep 10:

Scrafty: In general, this thing has the potential to be an excellent bulk, especially if it has moxie, it becomes a sp.def tank. Granted it doesnt have any defense boosting moves, but it's movepool is fantastic and it learns moves like crunch and brick break early on. I'd recommend you teach it swagger to counter Gardevoir. I warn you now though, do NOT use it on gallade. Gallade will swipe it to the side if it gets the chance.

Crobat: A swift few strikes from this bat and Alakazam and Gallade go down like flies. Teach it acrobatics. Thats all you'll need.

Honchkrow: Now, I normally wouldn't recommend this guy, but my Honchkrow took out an electrivire (lv 33) at lv 24. With Sucker Punch. I was jawdropping after that.

Sharpedo: Lowest defense of pretty much every dark type available, but it's speed and attack make it a good speedsweeper if your strength is your speed.

Cofagrigus: YES YES YES I KNOW this thing has a shitty offense stat. But it's defense and Special defense stats bloody make up for it. I recommend Hex/Will-o-Wisp/Curse/PowerSplit. Power Split to average Gardevoir and Alakazam's spAtk stats to a tankable stage, will-o-wisp for general HP whittling, and Hex just to shred them afterwards. Curse is a risky one, especially with both of them, because if they get a critical hit you're fucked, even IF you use power split. OH, and that will-o-wisp helps with gallade. By the way, this pokemon is excellent in terms of post-shade's gym. It swiped Kiki's Medicham (both times, alone and seriously under levelled by 6 levels under the max), and basically pwned Solaris' garchomp. It's been an excellent teammate for Aya, and even took on Fern's Krokorok. Im currently debating whether I should use it for Sierra's Abomasnow, but idk.

Azumarill: Now THIS pokemon, I highly suggest you do NOT take unless you're willing to watch it die a few times. As an Azurill, it can learn bounce at level 23. Give it Charm, and Aqua Tail, and Add it to it's Huge Power ability, and you have a wrecking mouse right there. This one pokemon swiped the rest of Kiki's team for me in 10.5 (I taught it play rough and then deleveled it, I was so broke by the time I did it qq)

If you're using 10.5, this is my recommendation:

Gourgeist: This thing comes in it's Super Size form in Reborn. It's a fricking TANK. and it can take one or two hits before it gets knocked out, so play your cards right and it can probably phantom Force two of Radomus' Pokemon. Be warned though that if you dont have a link stone theres no point in getting it, because you can only get one pumpkaboo. Also, Teach it Seed Bomb and Leech seed and it'll be pretty good against Starmie. It's helped me against Aya, Cain, frick it even helped me against Cal, and Cal's a fricking fire type. So yeah.

Azumarill: HUGE POWER + PLAY ROUGH + AQUA TAIL. 'nuff said.

Pangoro: I'd use this against Alakazam. but afterwards it doesnt have much use. But it'll be useful against Luna. Trust me on that one.

Aromatisse: OH. MY. GOD. Drought Ninetales + this thing and Starmie literally CANNOT kill you unless it crit hits you. I just used calm mind like 5 times, then moonblasted Starmie. Gone. Like that. Then G.Gardevoir knocked her out so qq but Aromatisse has a SERIOUS Special Defense boost.

Florges: God almighty, this pokemon has a higher special defense stat than UMBREON AND SYLVEON. If you decide to evolve a floette, common candy it to level 1. THEN use the shiny stone. Its one of those starting level movepools. But it learns a HELL of a lot of good moves for it's stats. I'd recommend Moonblast and Petal Dance as definites, and MAYBE Grassy Terrain. Im not sure if that works as of 10.5 though, I know Misty Terrain didnt. If neither terrain suits you, lucky chant/wish combos are pretty good. (:

Things you shouldn't use for EITHER Episode:

Every single Poison type, Save for Drapion and Crobat, and maybe gengar (I don't use him as much anymore)

Any other Fairy type. Radomus has a Metagross. I just remembered.

A dragon type. That Gardevoir will swipe it aside, and both Flygon and Noivern are puny against it.

Noivern. Just in general, DONT use this pokemon. I dropped it after Corey, it's stats were PUNY. Im sorry but... wow, Azumarill did better than it, and azumarill's stats are average.

A Pure Ground Type. it'd be risky. Mainly because of that Starmie.

Anything with generally low defense or special defense and decent stats on other areas. They will do practically nothing and then what?

Otherwise, I'd say your team is okay, actually. mainly for battling in episode 10, but I think if you change to 10.5 BEFORE fighting him you'll need to do a SERIOUS makeover. Keep Lucario, though. It'll most likely withstand gardevoir's moonblast once. hit it with shadow ball in the face while shouting NO REGRETS! lol~

EDIT: I spent far too long typing that out, my fingers are throbbing atm >>

(And yes, I realize I spelled Electivire wrong, but I'm too lazy to scroll back up and fix it.)

Edited by Lynxiechan

• 4 weeks later...

if its 10.5 your playing i suggest you listen to lynxiechn as he knows what hes talking about here but if your still playing 10 all you need to do is get your flygon and guardevior to atleast 55, i beat radamus in 10 with a team in the 55-60 area to it was still quite hard for me. ho the closser you can get to 60 the better

gl in your battle with him in which ever version you are playing

Edited by sandy