Tales of Destiny Review

James-Sensei

The story starts off with the main character Stahn Aileron, stowing away on a dragon like airship, which is carrying a special item, a special type of sword. which is then attacked after some dialogue by monsters and Stahn has to find away to escape...

The battle system is real time action side scrolling, most characters are magic swordsman, which is kind of boring, the special swords however are element based, and can be swapped around though it would be wiser to keep the ones you get equipped on the characters that already have them as equips, these swords can also be enhanced with disks, that raise the base stats of the weapons.

The AI however is a little useless at the beginning, with non player controlled characters just standing around, however they seem to get better as you level up and being more active. The controls, are a bit stiff in battle seeing as it uses the D-pad, and you have to pretty much hold the directional button for the next input command. Also a little annoying is that the O button is the accept button, while the X button is used for canceling.

The graphics are a little unpolished for the year it was released (1997), being sprites in the PSX era, it is surpassed by an earlier game FF6.

Favorite Character: Stahn Aileron, he just gets abused early on in the game a lot, beaten up when he's found as a stowaway, forced to work for a king who has him monitored by a massive jerk and kept in check with an electrocution tiara(?), for unwittingly committing a crime with some other characters that you meet, along with the fact that all he wants is to just return to his hometown. He's a laid back fellow, sleeping in and just pretty much a lovable idiot.

Least Favorite Character: Leon Magnus, you meet him later on in the game however, he's just a grade S jerk, this is the guy who joins your party along with Stahn and the thief along with her friend. However he acts like a "I'm better then you peasants", yeah he has feeling for this one maid, but....yeah he's still a jerk.

Rating: 7

Pros of playing: Fun battle system, and fast paced real time action (Except bosses),the story is fun, and I didn't want to touch too much upon it due to wanting to avoid spoilers. It has some decent music too.

Cons: This is a pretty old game so its going to cost a good deal (Depending on where you find it, and the condition it was in), As stated earlier the controls are a bit off putting, and the AI can be useless early on.

I might be doing some retro reviews myself later.

You seemed to cover this game better than some of your anime reviews.

Honestly reviewing tv shows or individuAl episodes of anime can be difficult. There is not a lot to work with. Same goes for music reviews.

When Crono Phantasma or smash 4 comes out I might do reviews on individual characters.