[CW] Myriad: Desolation [Feedback]

Valyrian_Reforged

Chapter One: The Best Laid Plans

"How about we beat you in battle? If we win, you'll disarm your explosive. Scared, lady? You should be!," the red-haired Trainer demanded archly. Myriad shuffled from foot to foot, standing beside the green-haired Ava and the unknown and bespectacled redhead.

Wide-eyed and quite a bit anxious, Myriad straightened his electric blue headband and prepared to pitch in and assist however he could. He had just gotten his Trainer Card, but he felt like he was destined to become Main Character Material. He was a hero, he just knew it. He burned to prove it to himself, to prove it to everyone aboard this cruise liner. He wore an electric blue jacket, 

The woman in black garb, wearing a mask, seemed unfazed by the double-battle threat before her. "You won't report what was done here. It's a deal. You won't obliterate me in battle, little boy. You may as well turn tail and rush back to cry within your cabin...while you still can," The Woman snarled, flinging out her Pokemon as she spoke with an idle wrist flick. She sent out Blaziken.

"Come on, little miscreant. Send out your own Pokemon, unless they had been so pathetic in previous battle that you'd wilfully released them. If so, send out your new team. I'll crush them all," The Woman trash talked brashly. Red Hair sent out Growlithe, while Ava sent out Cradily. They tried to, rather, but they failed in their attempt to do so.

"Ugh! My Poké Ball is stuck. It won't open!," Ava exclaimed, anguished as she stood to lose the battle before it had even begun. Red Hair shook his head, stunned, as he saw that his own Poke Ball was stubbornly closed off, as well. "My one won't open, also! What's the deal, Crazy Hair? What have you done to our Poké Balls?," Red Hair growled ferociously. "Aw, they won't work? Pity. See, I knew that aboard this ship were two capable Gym Leaders. As such, I couldn't allow such an easy sweep attempt upon my team to even have the slightest chance to occur. Enjoy your useless Poke Balls...and you're welcome," The Woman sneered, looking very much like the proverbial cat who had gotten the cream. "You won't get away with this!," Red Hair snapped, looking quite murderous.

The Woman shrugged one refined and sculpted shoulder, managing to convey boredom, elegance and eloquence within that one action than most could within a lengthy paragraph of dialogue. "I don't see how you can stop me now. Your means of doing so have been oh so decadently tampered with. No one else has the gumption nor the capability to stop my plans and I now. Run along and meet your doom with dignity. It's all that you now have left to comfort you," The Woman said heartlessly.

Her expression was focused, her eyes shuttered and merciless as she gazed upon those that would thwart her if they could only discover an alternate means of doing-so. She seemed supremely confident of their inability to do so. Seemed to enjoy their discomfort.

"Scarlett! Get off the ship - NOW! If all is lost, then I won't lose you, as well. Live to fight another day, remember me well and know this. I'll be benevolently watching over you from wherever I will go next. No arguments, no tearful goodbyes, my friend, just please LEAVE!," Ava implored her pink-haired friend. Scarlett jumped upon being addressed this sharply, but then a resolute expression slid over her dismayed and frazzled features and she nodded, her gaze locked upon Ava's own gaze.

"My associates and I are The Black Foxes. I hope that you can memorise and memorialise our eminent name in your afterlives, if you have them. If you believe in such a laughable thing as that and those," The Woman said harshly.

All faded to black as chaos reigned supreme.

***************************************************************************************

Myriad finally awoke, scrambling into a sit up as The Woman ordered her Blaziken to get to work. There was a noxious smokescreen all around him and all that he could hear, in echoed aftermath, were the screams of those around him, the sounds of destruction and devastation and the boat fracturing apart as though it had been made of balsa wood.

Everywhere that Myriad turned, in the hazy remnants of his dream, figures that he couldn't clearly discern dashed to and fro. Some tried to assist those injured and in need before the ship met its watery end, carrying all onboard with it. Others attempted to rush the woman and attack her by physically grappling with her fearsome Blaziken, who retaliated with a vengeance and left heartbreaking ruination within its wake. He could still see the smoke around him, still smell and taste the tang of char upon the air, still feel mired down by the seeming sluggishness of his own movements as he raced to do anything, to say anything, that could have even a modicum of a chance to save all onboard. Myriad shook off the remnants of his dark dream and took a series of slow, deep and calming breaths.

He did four repetitions of box breathing, folding his legs in lotus position upon his bed as he ignored the bunched bedcover that graced his lower body. His eyes were closed as he drifted consciously and carefully out of his impromptu meditation and when he did, Myriad felt calm, centred and focused, not mired down in fear, doubt and uncertainty, as he had been then.

Myriad slowly uncurled out of lotus position and then got up from his bed, eyeing his pyjamas with slight distaste as he ran his gaze along the length of his teenage body. He blinked...and then he really woke up, from this secondary dream that had felt as real as real could feel to him. Myriad lay flat upon his back upon the sands of a beach. He could hear roiling waves lap at the nearby shoreline with a ravenous hunger and he could almost feel the patience and the inevitability within the water that could turn upon a dime from calm to tempestuous.

A voice spoke, shattering the sense of tranquility within the storm that was raging in this moment. "Oh, come ON! Of everyone aboard that sinking ship, I had to find YOU within its wreckage? It's not fair. I demand a reroll of this situation, of this discovery, life. Kowtow to my wish," a snarky-sounding and masculine voice said insistently. A slap to Myriad's face sent the young Trainer sitting up with a glare that left murderous in the dust by a long shot. Red Hair met his level gaze, returning it with a disgruntled yet understanding look of his own.

"Yeah, sorry. I usually don't do casuals well. But hey, hooray, you survived - thanks in no small part to me. So don't ever forget it, kid. Who are you, anyway? Thanks for gathering that ship intel. That explosive wouldn't have been found in not for you," Red Hair said nonchalantly. Myriad picked himself up to his feet and then listened as Red Hair continued to speak. "I'm Connor. You might remember me from the ship, or its disturbing remains. This storm will be a force, and I'd rather not be caught within its infinite grip. Move it! Let's get to cover," Red Hair - Connor - said bossily.

Myriad followed Connor to the nearest forest opening, keeping in mind Connor's bleak and foreboding, not to mention menacing, assertion that they were not friends. The incessant pelting of the rain and the thundering boom and crash of the thunder and lightning around Myriad hurt far less than Connor's assertion, but Myriad fought to shake off the feelings of dejection and rejection as he raced after Connor. He passed through a leafy canopy that formed a roof of sorts over his head, entering a dark forest in Connor's wake.

The sound of Connor's fleet footsteps acted as Myriad's compass as he darted after the irascible young man who had rescued him from an early grave. Myriad caught up to Connor at the forest's end.

Connor gathered some nearby driftwood and started a controlled yet merry little campfire within the central clearing of the forest. "It looks like I'm stuck with you, at least for the time being. I'll try to catch you up. What's your name?," Connor grumbled, speaking a little less belligerently than he had beforehand. "I am Myriad," the new, brown-haired and blue-headbanded Trainer said.

"Myriad? A unique name. I'm Connor. You'd best not forget my name. I'm one of this region's Gym Leaders. The Fire-Type Leader, as a matter of fact. Because I've been training a new team as of late, my strongest are at home. It's not advantageous. My current team won't be able to handle this type of action," Connor admitted grudgingly.

"I've a rough idea about our current location. It's not far from a town that I know. I usually don't like being nice," Connor added.

Myriad nodded and then when Connor stated his intention to call it a night, Myriad let the irritable Gym Leader sleep by the fireside. Once the next day dawned, the duo dashed their campfire and then made their way toward Redcliff Town, which Connor had made a passing reference to. In the meantime, Ava and Scarlett had, upon surviving the sinking ship by methods as yet unknown, washed up upon the very same beach that Myriad had been discovered upon by Connor. "ScarLETT, run!," Ava implored exasperatedly, while Scarlett huffed in response. "I'm not as fit as you. Can't you give this girl a break?," Scarlett drawled, as she reached the forest's entrance. "If you don't haul a - s - s, Scarlett, they'll be onto us like sniffer dogs. Move. It," Ava said unfeelingly.

"I cannot run like you can. Let's just hide...please?," Scarlett suggested meekly. Ava sighed. "I promised Myriad that I would catch up with him later. Poor teen must be at his wit's end, wondering if he's the sole shipwreck surviver of the liner. Scar, let's hustle, or else we'll be caught by those goons," Ava relented, and the duo then ran across the beach as though their lives depended upon how fast they could outpace their pursuers, which it did. The Black Fox Grunts bolted forward, stopping just in front of the forest entrance. They spoke to each other briefly before they continued their pursuit. The Woman from the ship spoke, her eyes narrowed as she did so.

"Persistent little pests, aren't they all? We will dominate regardless. There's no much further, so let's step to it. "The villagers here will come in handy," one of the Grunts said nastily. "They had better hold up their end of the deal," the secondary Grunt said brusquely.

The Woman appeared supremely unconcerned. "The villagers won't, but their boss man has no other alternative but to co-operate with us. If he doesn't, then on his own head be it. Things are falling into place. Slowly but surely wins this race." "It's taking long enough," Grunt One complained in a needling tone. Grunt Two rolled her eyes and said nothing, but within her racing mind whirled layer upon layer of measures and counter-measures. Her game was the long con and she hadn't gotten this far without toeing the line and holding her peace.

"How can you be sure that it's them?," Grunt One asked The Woman. She tilted her head slowly to one side, this one action of hers scaring the daylights out of the first of her subordinates because it was seconded by a slow and sinister smirk. "Those kids? Call it a hunch," The Woman said laconically. "You blew up the boat upon a hunch? You do realise that's insane, yeah?," Grunt One said feebly.

The Woman gave no response, performing the thousand yard stare as she calculated the odds of her location and subsequent recapture of her prey. "We have been searching for quite some time now, with naught to show for it. I suggest that if we wish to corner our quarry, we need more ground cover. More Foxes on the prowl," Grunt Two said meaningfully. The Woman awarded Grunt Two a look of rare respect before she resumed her mask of aloofness and competence.

"Bingo. It's time for The Foxes to make ourselves known again. Feared, unrivaled and respected again, as we had once been. Hence, the boat. You might have a point. Let's get to work," The Woman said seriously. "You first, Boss," Grunt One said, while Grunt Two acknowledged The Woman's praise and her colleague's response with a slight smile and a nod. The Woman's faint smirk broadened as her inferiours stood aside. All faded to black.

The next day, Myriad and Connor set off after Myriad activated Connor's nearby Healing Machine. It looked like a silver claw from an arcade claw machine and it had a red handle. Upon being booted up, it sparkled with a luminous red and green glow. Connor moved on ahead and Myriad caught up with the impatient upstart of a redhead immediately after he had done so. Returning to the beach, Myriad met up with Connor and listened to Connor speak. "Check it. Debris everywhere, yet no people. Where did everyone go? Looks too boring for me to explore. Since I'm losing brain cells just talking to you, get a wriggle on and meet me when you're done here," Connor sniped and then he handed Myriad seven Poké Balls.

Without further ado, Connor rushed off once more, moving toward the East at an impressive and brisk clip. Myriad kept Connor's Healing Kit in mind as he explored the beach, picking up what he could as he explored the area of impact. He checked out the Poke Balls that littered the beach, finding that each contained a different Pokemon within them.

The selection was: Rockruff, Pancham, Electrike, Pancham, Skiddo, Venipede, Spheal and Doduo. The Rock-type Rockruff was a serious contender for first choice, because it was a strong 'mon and it had the Rock-type move Accelerock, which was a Rock-type Quick Attack and great for chip damage and Pokemon knock-outs. Pancham was the next best contender, because it was Fighting Type and quite strong if one caught one with the Mold Breaker and/or Defiant Ability. Skiddo, a Grass type and Electrike, an Electric type, were good Pokemon. Each had proven themselves to be ready and reliable in and out of a pinch.

Spheal would help out handily at a moment's notice, as it was an Ice/Water 'mon. Being a Bug/Poison type, an early Venipide seemed to be a very tempting choice for Myriad to select. Rockruff was a pure Rock type, while Pancham was a pure Fighting type. Both would distinguish themselves within most early Pokemon battles. The Flying type Doduo, however, appealed to Myriad the least. He had never been a fan of the land bird 'mon and he wouldn't start stanning it now. Spheal, Venipede and Rockruff were looking desirable AF as first team members and so Myriad chose these three first of all. He was certain that Pancham, Skiddo, Litleo, Doduo and Electrike could be obtained at some point later within his Pokemon journey.

After some deliberation, Myriad chose a Rockruff that he had shiny hunted for quite some time. She was a female Rockruff with the Vital Spirit Ability. Her EVs and IVs (Effort values and Individual Values) were good in some areas and not so great in other areas, but she was shiny and so that went a long way toward making up for these values. Making his way due East upon this route of sorts, Myriad was confronted by a villager who leapt down from the trees before him. The villager challenged Myriad to a battle that Myriad did not refuse. Myriad sent out Rockruff. The villager sent out his own Level 5 Poochyena, a Dark type Pokemon.

"Rockruff, Tackle!," Myriad instructed. Rockruff bared her fangs and snarled at her opponent.

With a sharp yelp, Rockruff launched itself at the Poochyena and sent it flying a decent distance away from herself. "Howl, Poochyena!," The Villager yowled and the Poochyena threw its head back and howled as if at the moon, raising its Attack stat sharply. Rockruff returned the favour by attacking the Poochyena with another Tackle and the Poochyena was knocked out for the count.

The Villager sent out a Level 4 Yungoos, a Normal type. "Bite!," Myriad commanded and his Rockruff bit the Yungoos, landing a lucky Critical Hit and knocking her opponent into the eerie embrace of temporary oblivion that was known as the state of unconsciousness. The disgruntled Villager handed over the requisite victory prize money and Myriad continued past the dour Villager.

Myriad fought a secondary Villager, who sent out a Flying type, Level 5 Starly. A swift Bite attack and a Tackle attack took the plump little bird out of the battle and the Villager sent in his secondary Pokemon, a Level 4 Sentret. It was a Normal type, which Myriad had Rockruff take down with Bite for a landslide victory. The Villager sent forth his secondary Pokemon, a Level 5 Dark/Poison type Stunky, which Rockruff then took down with Tackle attacks.

Fortunately, the Stunky's attempt to poison Rockruff with Poison Gas missed, which helped to speed up the battle and sealed the 'mon's fate. The Villager handed over less than the right prize money (16 Poke Dollars, unlike the 20 Poke Dollars that the other Villagers had conceded to him) and then allowed Myriad to pass by him. After yet another Pokemon battle with a third Villager, in which two Tackles to a Dark type Alolan Rattata leveled Rockruff up to Level 10 and two Tackles to a Level 5 Normal/Flying type Hoothoot ceded the battle to the new Trainer, Myriad, he was awarded 20PD and allowed past this Villager.  He made his way ever onward, finally reaching an unimpressed Connor, who was standing in front of another forest entrance.

"You took your sweet time, but at least you seem semi-battle competent now. This opening is the only way that we can go. I'm quite certain that it will lead to Keneph Jungle, the villagers' reservation. I haven't been there, but I've heard tell of travellers who get lost within the upcoming route. Unless you want to swim, though, it's our only option," Connor ventured. After a slight pause, Connor continued. "Redcliff Town is at the jungle's North exit. I'll meet you there," Connor added. To no-one's shock, least of all Myriad's own, Connor surged ahead, leaving Myriad to beat feet in order to meet Connor as necessary. Myriad ventured into the secondary forest entrance and then located and captured a Level 6 Caterpie, which he nicknamed Luna after the Harry Potter character.

Once he had encountered Connor standing in front of a pile of rocks, Myriad met Connor back at the forest entrance and once Connor's Vulpix incinerated the path-blocking tree nearby, the two male Trainers swept on through the remainder of the forest. Myriad raised Luna to first Level 7, at which point she evolved into Metapod and then Level 10, which promptly triggered her final evolution into Butterfree. Her Ability metamorphosed into Compound Eyes and she would provide much-needed additional strength to his Party. Myriad encountered his first wild shiny Pokemon, a Level 7 male Scatterbug, which he then captured. He nicknamed it Venom after the comic book character and decided to alternate it with Luna so that he could make adequate usage of both.

In the forest, Myriad encountered, then captured, his second shiny, a Level 7 Caterpie. He did not nickname it and he kept it in his party to later box within his PC. Perhaps he would replace this Caterpie with Luna at some point, or not. This remained an option for him to consider at length. In any case, Myriad would evolve this Caterpie into its final form in future, if only to see what its shiny forms would look like. Upon encountering a shiny Weedle, Myriad whittled its health down to the yellow halfway point and then caught it. He chose not to nickname it. 

Myriad stood idly by as Connor attempted to defuse the village woman's ire within the hut at the back of the forest. "We don't want a fight, lady. We're not here to steal from you. We merely wish to get through this jungle. That's all. Your Vileplume blocks the way," Connor said tersely. "Oh, is that all? Why didn't you lead with that? You need a special powder to make the Vileplume move out of your way. You can get some from the village," The Village Woman said. "I'll get some, then. I'm not just going to hang about here - I have got a Gym to get back to," Connor responded.

"Before you go, I have a quick favour to ask of you," The Village Woman said. "Rescue one water rat and look where it's gotten me. Now I'll be expected to be Mister Generosity until the end of time itself. What would you ask of me?," Connor replied warily. "My home is the gate to our village. I am its gatekeeper. My name is Lyra. I have been sentenced here by our Chief. My husband and I have been labeled traitors to our kind and to our cause. They hauled him away. I was sentenced to this job and to this hut," Lyra explained sadly.

Lyra went on to explain that she trusted the Chief's reasoning and judgement, which led to Connor storming off toward the Village. Myriad vowed to at least check upon Lyra's husband and house, per Lyra's request, thanks in large part to his purity of heart and his unusual largesse of integrity.

Following after Connor, Myriad descended into a cavernous cavern within which was situated a village of vast size. Taking Connor up upon his suggestion of a temporary team-up, Myriad made swift tracks through the village with Connor. A battle against the first two Villagers resulted within a match-up of Myriad's Neville and Connor's Fletchinder versus the rival Level 9 duo of Burmy and Poochyena. Fletchinder's Aerial Ace made short work of Poochyena, while Neville's Twinneedle attack cut Burmy and a secondary Bidoof and Rattata well down to size. They then questioned a villager in a nearby, rope-like hut about The Black Foxes and the villager confirmed that there were suspicious looking people in black within the village, but that he was meant to not speak of them.

More villager interrogations revealed that everyone here respected and trusted the Village Chief Kuiki to such a degree that it was as if they had been compelled, through some subtle subterfuge or mind manipulation, to remain here and to view Kuiki as some ancient and revered deity. A further villager, another woman, asked if Connor and Myriad were here for some kind of 'cleanse.' This immediately struck Myriad as something to be unnerved and suspicious of and about. Too many people here had metaphorically drank every last drop of the proverbial Kool-Aid and all was not at all right here.

The more that Myriad heard about this place, the more that he wished to tear it all of the way down. He felt a that a surge of injustice had been dealt here and he was determined to right every wrong that had been done here to everyone. It was soon revealed, after yet another battle, this time within the hut of a villager, that speaking out against the Chief would result within harsh reprisal, judgement and imprisonment. There was a mention of a 'ring', but it didn't sound like an engagement or a wedding ring, nor a promise ring. It sounded as if it were an arena in the vein of the gladiatorial arena within the Coliseum.

After learning that Lyra's husband was imprisoned within 'the top hill,' Myriad and Connor made their way there and eventually to Lyra and her husband's hut. The hut visit revealed a kooky journal penned by Lyra's husband, within which his suspicions about the weirdness and wrongness of this village was written. The last journal entry trailed off erratically, perhaps via an interruption of some sort. A trip to a ledge with a lever upon it opened a door which led to a hut.

Before going into this hut, Myriad trained his Pokemon until they were all level 17-18 and caught and raised a Numel from the village cave to Level 17, also. He evolved Rhaegar into his final form, Mightyena, in preparation for the boss battles ahead of him. Myriad caught a shiny female Sentret, which he left un-nicknamed for now.

He evolved her into a shiny Furret. Myriad also found and caught a shiny Silcoon, which he nicknamed Dumbledore. He nicknamed it thusly because he knew that as a final evolution Beautifly, Dumbledore would be the epitome of fabulous. Myriad evolved him into a shiny Beautifly, naturally. Myriad found and captured a shiny Poochyena, which he nicknamed Rhaegar for the pallour of his fur. This would become a staple member of his team.

Further training yielded a shiny Pidgey, which Myriad nicknamed Wingo after Voltsy's own, non-shiny Pidgey, Wingo. Myriad trained said shiny Wingo up to Level 17 in preparation of the battles ahead. At this point within the game, having everyone be at Level 17 was a huge boon. The second highest hut contained a black-haired man who seemed to know Myriad. However, Myriad had no recollection of this man at all and the man called himself Shiv. It seemed that he had forgotten what his own name was and so had decided upon a macabre pseudonym to put in its place. Myriad had to wonder what kind of traumatic event or injury could make anyone forget their own name.

Shiv proposed a trade of one key to the locked gate for the price of one solo battle against Myriad. The bargain struck, the battle began.

*********************************************************************************

What Myriad was not to know was that in an alternate universe, therein lay his counterpart. His polar opposite was Merlot, a brown-haired Pokemon Trainer that had undergone the exact same trials as he had, but whom had differed in only the variation within their Pokemon Party. Merlot had chosen a soft resetted shiny Rockruff as her Starter Pokemon, as Myriad had.

Her shiny Rockruff was also female, but it had a different statistic spread to Myriad's own Rockruff. Once Merlot had finally caught up to Connor in front of some rocks that looked to be either accidentally or deliberately caved in, she met Connor at the clearing entrance and his Vulpix burnt down a tree at the top of the nearby stairwell with Ember. They then continued onward.

Merlot caught, then leveled up through battle, a Weedle which she nicknamed Neville after the Harry Potter wizard. He was the unknowing counterpart of Myriad's Luna and Neville soon evolved into Kakuna and then into its final stage, Beedrill. It possessed the Sniper Ability. Due to having this incredible Ability, it was close to Merlot's heart.

Vowing to capture more Pokemon (especially shiny ones) every step of the way through her adventure, Merlot continued through the forest and eventually reached a cabin at the very back of the forest. Within in, she and Connor encountered a hostile village woman, who immediately ordered them both to leave her home. Connor attempted to calm this woman down. Merlot observed from nearby.

She, too, decided to check out the situation at the Village and fulfil Lyra's request while she was there. Merlot followed in Connor's wake and soon found herself at an underground village that was remarkably built within and situated within a huge cavern. Merlot spoke to Connor and after some dialogue with him, she set off with Connor as a temporary team.

After questioning all of the villagers that Myriad had, Merlot and Connor continued through the creepy cave. They eventually reached kk after learning that two girls, one of them with bright green hair, had dashed through this village. They had promptly been seized and put into the ring. It would be Kuiki's bloodthirsty Donphan against two Trainers. Myriad vowed to stop further carnage from occurring.

It was said that Chief Kuiki had once had a Legendary Pokemon. Myriad and Merlot didn't know how true or false this was, but they both leant more toward utter falsehood than whole truth. Through trials but nary an error, Merlot and Connor found themselves at Lyra and her husband's home. They stepped into the hut after grinding to Level 17. Merlot's capture of two great Pokemon (Pidgey and Caterpie, one of which she had evolved into Butterfree) would help to make this battle much easier than it otherwise would have been.

This, she felt, was the penultimate battle at this point in time. This was her first true trial.

Shi-Rock1.PNG

Shi-Cat.PNG

Shi-We.PNG

Shi-Pooch.PNG

Shi-Scat.PNG

Shi-Sen.PNG

Shi-Sil.PNG

Shi-Fur.PNG

Shi-Beaut.PNG

Shi-Pid.PNG

Edited by Valyrian_Reforged

Chapter Two: Shiv-er Me Timbers! And The Temple of Gloom

Myriad sent out his Level 17 shiny Rockruff. Shiv countered Myriad's instinctive action by sending out his first Pokémon, a Level 14 Aipom. "Rockruff, Rock Throw!," Myriad commanded. Rockruff immediately flung a huge rock at the Aipom, which did a hefty ammount of damage to the purple monkey Pokémon. "Aipom, Tail Slap!," Shiv demanded. His Aipom obediently lunged forward and tried to slap Rockruff across her face with the hand upon its tail, but it overshot its mark and missed its attack. It then landed a secondary Tail Slap, which hit four times for chip damage that made Rockruff recoil with a startled yelp, but rally beautifully and keep her balance.

Rockruff launched a secondary Rock Throw attack at the Aipom, which knocked Aipom unconscious. A secondary Roselia was sent out, so Myriad recalled Rockruff and sent in her shiny Pidgey, Wingo. "Gust attack, Wingo! You can do this," Myriad called encouragingly and Wingo chirped before she launched a powerful gust of wind at her opponent. The Gust hit for supereffective damage. Roselia took alot less damage than Myriad would like before it inflicted paralysis status upon Wingo, who then was unable to land any hits for two turns before she struggled on through the static. She took down the Roselia with multiple Gust attacks.

Shiv then sent in his Level 15 Sneasel, which Rhaegar the Poochyena brought down with several Bite attacks.

Shiv took a shocked step backward, visibly shellshocked in light of his surprising loss. "I knew that I was right about you, Myriad! Go on, then, you have earned this key," Shiv said in a grudging, gravelly tone. He then handed Myriad a Gate Key, which Myriad then placed within his Bag's Key Items pocket. "That gate key unlocks the gate beside this hut. Beyond it, you will find a secondary lever that will unbar the way to Kuiki's home, his temple. To get onto that path, you will need to find another entry to this village. Try the surface," Shiv added. He then handed over some Spice Powder, which Myriad stowed safely away within his Key Items pocket.

"You'll need that to move the Vileplume. Happy trails and smooth sails!," Shiv said, with feeling, and then he simply vanished. Connor blinked several times, then voiced what Myriad was thinking. "Uh, what the literal Hail!? He certainly seemed keen to only speak to you, Myriad. Shiv's singular focus upon and interest in you is unsettling. Well, let's hit the metaphorical road out of this village of creeps and freaks. After you," Connor said abrasively.

Myriad nodded. He inspected the book that Shiv had been so frantically scribbling within. Judging by his refusal to immediately stop his journaling within it, this book had to hold some significance to Shiv. The book read, "Under the crashing water's gaze, inside of the crystal cave, may you find the beginning of something truly strange." After he had memorised the book's riddle and made a cursory inspection of this hut, Myriad left the opened book where it lay upon the wooden desk and left the hut. 

"I'll just pretend that I hadn't seen some grown-grass man up and Teleport like an Abra on the run. That way, it won't be the icing upon the weirdness cake that has been this entire portion of this somewhat grueling journey adjacent to you," Connor said decisively. He seemed content to not put serious thought and speculation into Shiv and his escape method, which Myriad understood, but very much did the polar opposite of. Shiv seemed like just the sort of enigma that sparked Myriad's sense of intrigue. It would take some time before Myriad set aside his desire to do some intrepid investigative research into Shiv and his methods, means and motivations.

After approaching the gate and using the Gate Key upon it, the gate unlocked and Connor exited the hut. "You ready to ditch this wacky place? Let's hit the surface already," Connor mused. Myriad was still thinking about the scary battle that he had just endured and had with Shiv. That Aipom had been so overpowered in that battle. A Tail Slap that hit five times in one turn, which Shiv had spammed twice, via verbal command, to inflict a first turn strike of fifteen total hits. Aipom's held Oran Berry added further insult to malicious injuries.

It was absurd to the nth degree. That damned Roselia had been a minor headache, with its Mega Drain spamming. The final Sneasel had been a little bit tanky, but its Icy Wind attacks had been endured with a breeze by Rhaegar. Shiv's Pokémon definitely deserve the nerf hammer treatment at this journey point.

Connor and Myriad headed topside and made their way to back to the Vileplume that was just south of the wooden bridge near Lyra's hut. Using the Spice Powder caused the Vileplume to move aside, allowed the two Trainers passage past its stomping ground.  "Feels good to finally bid adieu to that deep-set circus sideshow. Let's part ways for now. Never fear, I'll back you up when it's time to venture below-ground again and clear the brain fog from those brainwashed natives and their shaman. I'll meet you by the Vileplume," Connor said, his tone making it clear that yet again, his offer of assistance was not caused by a fear of the darkness.

Myriad made his way back through Lyra's house and soon met up with Connor once more. The duo made their way past the Vileplume with the use of the Spice Powder that Shiv had given to Myriad upon his defeat in battle. Lost in thought about how extensive the psychological trauma that had been inflicted upon the robotic and mind-controlled villager would be once he freed them from their cursed state of being, Myriad sighed. No-one who mistreated Pokémon so deserved the right to be a Trainer of Pokémon. They deserved no Pokémon at all.

Myriad encountered a male, shiny Level 10 Numel, which he caught and nicknamed Heatwave. It had the Own Tempo ability and it had great eggplant purple and crimson red colouration. Myriad immediately began to level it up to his team-mates' level. Once Myriad had done so, he redoubled his concerted and concentrated efforts to find the ever so elusive shiny Grubbin, which seemed, to him, to have a legendary Pokémon’s high capture rate as its shiny variation encounter rate. Nevertheless, Myriad was not the type to give up, nor avoid a challenge and so he continued this shiny hunt. The blue-jacketed young Trainer evolved his shiny, un-nicknamed Caterpie into a shiny Metapod and then into a shiny Butterfree. Myriad also evolved his shiny Weedle into a shiny Kakuna and then into a shiny Beedrill.

Half of the fun and joy for Myriad was discovering which colour variation would greet him with each new discovery, capture and evolution of each of his shiny Pokémon. It was a major drawcard in regard to his enjoyment of and passion for Pokémon shiny hunting. Patience, consistency, perseverance and steadfastness were key when it came to the hunt of shiny critters. The same scene was had, albeit in a more natural fashion. This is what was said and done. Within Kukui's part of the village, a great gathering was held.

"Upon my orders, I deem these two outsiders witches. They are to be given the ultimate punishment! They seek to defile our way of life. They pose a danger to us all," Chief Kuiki bellowed to his subordinates. "You deem us to be witches? Why, because our hair colour so offends your delicate male psyche? Are you five hundred, not fifty? We demand a fair trial. How dare you look your suckers in their eyes and still call yourself their superiour," Ava said wryly. "Our Lord, may he forever reign from on high, demands that these two must face justice! What better justice can there be, save for our ring," Chief Kuiki shouted, speaking over Ava. 

"Ex-SQUEEZE me? We're innocent. Please spare us our lives," Scarlett said pleadingly.

Chief Kuiki rolled his eyes Heavenward. Ava glanced at Scarlett and minutely shook her head. "Scar, you can't reason with the insane. Take my sister, for example. Chief Crazy Frog, are you going to at least tell us the rules? If this is Fight Club, we deserve at least that," Ava said gruffly. "There are no rules. There is no escape. Firstly, we will unlock your prison cells. Secondly, we will watch you fight for your lives. Sound like fun for the whole family?," Chief Kuiki replied gleefully. 

"No. That sounds like the exact opposite of family fun," Scarlett said unhelpfully.

"It's a suicide move, but it won't be your life on the line, Kuiki, it'll be our own. Give me my goddamn POKéMON first. Then we'll see who'll be the last one standing!," Ava sniped. The gathered crowd gasped, held in the thrall of Kuiki as well as in the grip of his outrage in the face of the defiance of the insolent ones before him. "No. You will serve your justice alone, without the crutch that you had been using up until this point. The crutch that had been your Pokémon," Chief Kuiki said venomously. "Un-be-freaking-lievable! You want us to fight your Donphan, unarmed, while you bid it to fight us with its tusks and fangs. HOW IS THAT FAIR?," Ava snarled.

Chief Kuiki gave an infuriating, nonchalant shrug. "You'll rarely find that life itself is fair, twisted one. This is true justice," Chief Kuiki said soothingly. "Again with your justice bulldust. Does your precious Lord demand justice from us for us our mere existence? This is a miscarriage of JUSTICE, Your Honour. And you can shove your sanctimonious BS up your Feebas. If you even have one, that is," Ava added. Scarlett bounced up and down upon her toes as she spoke.

"I agree with Ava. We've done no harm. We're innocent. Let us go freely!," Scarlett yowled.

"Enough of this bothersome babbling! Let the death battle commence!," Chief Kuiki commanded.

The cell doors were opened. "Turn, go forth and face your doom with dignity, honour and grace, foul Witch Duo. With the luck of our Lord upon our side, we shall soon be well rid of you and your deplorable magics," Chief Kuiki said, undeterred from his course of action. "Well, Scatterbug. This is so damn far from blooming brilliant," Ava said, stating the fracking obvious. The scene faded to black. Venturing past the impoverished villagers that he had fought the Pokémon of with his own Pokémon as well as Connor's own Pokémon, Myriad ventured past the Vileplume and due West along a grassy pathway.

Stumbling upon a waterfall at the end of one particular path, Myriad discovered a door hidden behind its crashing deluge. A strange tablet upon the wall, after he had claimed a nearby Nugget, drew his eye and sparked his interest. Myriad approached it. Upon his inspection, it read: 'Expected a puzzle? Maybe not. You will just have to wait and see. Leave this poor sign alone, at least.' Within the centre of this rocky and secluded cavern was a pool of water. Further interaction with the stone tablet, eleven tablet presses later, made the tablet shift to one side.

This revealed a fresh passageway. At its end was a loitering Croagunk and a blue PokeBall. The blue sphere contained a note and a Blue Piece. Myriad placed the Blue Piece within his Key Items pocket, then read the note. 'Great find, Myriad! However, by itself, this object is likely useless. Perhaps it is one piece within a larger puzzle?. Your benefactor, Shiv.' Myriad gave a mental groan. Shiv and his mind-games. No matter what, he could not extricate himself from their influence and from their grasp. After befriending the bored Croagunk and adding it to his team, Myriad exited the cave with the shiny, soft reset Croagunk.

Making his way downtown along another pathway that was to the right of a staircase led Myriad to another Villager, a Paralyze Heal and a secondary sachet of Spice Powder, all of which he stowed away within his Items and Key Items pockets. Beside the waterfall, the Pansage that had taken him on a merry go round goose chase awaited Myriad. He battled it. After several soft resets, it showed up shiny and he captured it. Myriad deliberately nicknamed it Elm after a certain Pokémon Professor of the Johto Region.

It seemed that his name had been spread like wildfire through the village populace, because as soon as he ventured due North at this path's initial split and then reached the penultimate two villagers, within the cave, that were guarding the raised path beside Shiv's hut, those Villagers hailed him, greeting him by name. "Myriad, The Bright and Fiery Warrior. You are expected, Bright Heart. Good fortune to you,” the villagers said. They spoke with a chilling and robotic synchronicity. Reaching the end of the South path after battling several Villagers, Myriad finally entered a clearing, leapt down into the village’s next part and then steeled himself for anything.

A Poké Ball and a healing unit were nearby and Myriad made use of both. Two more battles later, Myriad reached a small temple. He collected Technical Machine X7 Rock Smash from a nearby hut, memorised the temple’s password within it, grabbed a nearby Potion to his left and then entered the temple. At long last, Myriad and Connor reached the ring. Myriad was immediately challenged to a battle by Chief Kuiki. With the fate of his friends resting upon his shoulders, Myriad accepted the challenge. Both sent forth their first Pokémon.

The battle began in earnest.

Meanwhile, in her own Pokémon journey, Merlot prepared to face Shiv. She continued to train her current team, adding a shiny Meowth that she nicknamed Giovanni to her current squad. Along with her trusty shiny starter Rockruff and her spirited shiny Poochyena, Cersei, Merlot felt that her starter team was finally starting to cobble together perfectly. Her beloved shiny Grubbin and her desired shiny Numel continued to elude her, but she felt that it would be only a matter of time before they made an appearance. They needed only to show up once and she would ensure that they would become hers to love, hers to train and hers to utilise in battle.

This village of the indoctrinated, this hive of brainwashed and belligerent people could not be left to their own devices. It was Merlot's sacred duty to lift the veil from their shuttered and hostility-drenched eyes and lead them all to the resumption of their previous lives. Their thoughts, feelings and very being had been held at ransom for far too long a time for Merlot's comfort. It was time to bring an old way of life for them to an end and usher them all into a new and uncorrupted way of life for these pitiable people. Once all was said and done here, Merlot hoped that the villagers could process and transmute the evil that had been inflicted upon their psyche into a greater good.

Entering the last hut upon the village's ground floor, Merlot encountered the very same black-haired and cryptic man that Myriad had. The exchange began with only a slight variation from Myriad's exchange with Shiv. "If it isn't Merlot and that fiery loudmouth. Why am I unsurprised," the man said evenly. Connor glanced at Merlot, a glint of suspicion within his eyes. "Do you know this creepazoid, Merlot? Please say no," Connor enquired drily. The man answered before Merlot could. "Merlot doesn't know me, but I know her. One Gate Key in return for one battle with Merlot. Take it if you wish to lift this place's curse. You may call me Shiv."

Merlot sent out her level 17 shiny Rockruff. Shiv deployed his Level 14 monster Aipom and the battle was on. "Throw your Rock, my Rockruff!," Merlot commanded, and Rockruff assumed the pounce position and wagged his fluffy tail before he straightened up, bared his small canines and threw a massive rock at Aipom. The Aipom screeched in pain as the thrown rock pelted it, dealing a sizeable chunk of damage to its health.

"Great job, Rockruff! Now Rock Throw and keep up this momentum," Merlot yelled. Rockruff, not wanting to lose any of the momentum that she had just gained, hurled another bulky rock at Aipom. "Attack now, Aipom! Tail Slap," Shiv demanded, his demeanour tense and his fists tightly clenched at his sides. The amnesiac man looked electrified with a passion for battle that he shared with his current opponent. "Rockruff, dodge it!," Merlot yelped and her Rockruff barked once in acknowledgement and leapt to one side.

Aipom's tail hand missed slamming into Rockruff by a millimetre and Rockruff immediately capitalised upon this sudden and fresh advantage, throwing yet another rock at her opponent. "AIPOM! No," Shiv shouted, supremely dismayed to see his Aipom faint upon the battlefield. Shiv immediately sent out his next Pokémon, a Level 12 Roselia that shook its bouquet hands menacingly at Rockruff. "Return, Rockruff! Neville, show me what you've got," Merlot commanded, recalling her beloved Rockruff back into her Poké Ball before sending her Beedrill into the fray. "OK, Neville, Pursuit, then Twinneedle attack!," Merlot ordered.

Neville gave a loud, affirmative buzz and then implemented the attacks that he had been directed to use. The Roselia was brought swiftly down by Neville's attacks and was swiftly and sullenly recalled by Shiv. "You're my last hope, Sneasel! Don't let me down, buddy. Go!," Shiv snarled, and sent out his Level 14 Sneasel. "Icy Wind!," Shiv commanded recklessly, seeming to have been somewhat deflated due to having thus far been cut down to size by Merlot's battle prowess.

"Easy money, Shiv. Thanks in advance. Rockruff, decimate this clown of a 'mon! Go," Merlot responded, recalling Neville and sending out her Rockruff. Her shiny puppy Pokémon snarled at Sneasel and then awaited further instructions. "Rock Throw!," Merlot commanded and Rockruff decided to put on a show. She flung a gigantic rock at her opponent, dodged the blast of icy wind and then watched as the Sneasel was blasted into a faint state. Merlot beamed down at Rockruff with pride for a moment, having watched Sneasel plummet to the ground and get flung metaphorically into next week.

She then recalled her rock puppy and then stared expectantly at Shiv. Connor smiled a small, reluctant and grudging grin. Shiv stared at Merlot for the longest time indeed, absolutely speechless. Finally, he spoke. "My hypothesis was correct about you, Merlot. You're one to keep a very close eye upon. A deal's a deal. Here's the key to the outside gate," Shiv said gravely. Handing over a Gate Key to Merlot as well as a little over 200 Pokédollars, he seemed to internally debate something for a moment before he next spoke.

"And here's some Spice Powder. It'll be your ticket past the nearby Vileplume, which you'll need to get past to reach the village path to Kuiki. Head to the surface. Find his temple. Put a stop the evil being perpetrated here. I'll no doubt encounter you again, when least you expect it. Never forget your purpose. You'll regret it if you neglect it," Shiv said eerily.

The enigmatic amnesiac then vanished from the hut. Just like magic from an Abra's Teleport move, Shiv was there and then he was gone. Merlot put the Gate Key within her Key Items pocket. "Welp, that will be my nightmare fuel for the next couple of nights at least. That's some Houdini-level shizz. OK, I'm going to catch my breath here for a few secs. Open that side gate already, Merlot, you unexpected battle beast. I'll meet you there and then we'll surface," Connor grumbled. Merlot took a gander at the book within which Shiv had been writing and noted the clue upon its cover. Its faded lettering read 'Under the crashing water's gaze, inside the crystal cave may you find the beginning of something truly strange.'

Merlot made a mental note of the cryptic clue. Without further ado, Merlot left the hut, ventured to the gate in question and used the Gate Key. The gate opened, leading to a secondary switch. Merlot flipped the switch and then Connor met her outside of the hut. "Feels good to be topside. That riddle, that 'as above, so below' type of hogwash? I sincerely hope you uncover its mystery. Hop to it. We've got nutzoids to un-mind wipe. But first, I'mma do some solo stuff. I'll return to help you sweep the evil from this nightmarish wonderland, Not because I'm afraid of the dark, but because...my reasons are my own," Connor said, once Merlot met him in front of the barricade-like Vileplume.

Before she meandered anywhere else but here, Merlot roamed the wild grass. She found a wild shiny Lotad and captured it. Nicknaming the Lotad Two-tone for the time being, Merlot raised Two-tone to level 14 and she evolved into a shiny Lombre. Sprinkling the Spice Powder upon the Vileplume revealed it to not only move from the path, but to be terribly neglected. Connor bet that it was a Trainer's Pokemon, most likely Kuiki's that had been left to guard the path that led to him. The Vileplume ran away, leaving Merlot with the sense that it longed to return to Kuiki's side, but knew better than to do so and risk his wrath.

The Vileplume's dejected expression and the slump within its shoulders made Merlot's blood begin to boil. Her hands bunching into involuntary fists, Merlot felt a renewed desire to meet Kuiki and  show him, in battle, that it was better to cherish your Pokemon and work with them instead of abuse their faith and trust in you. Meanwhile, in Kukui's part of the village, a congregation was held.

"Upon your greater Chief's orders, I deem these two outsiders to be witches! Worse still, they are witches who seek to defile our way of life," Chief Kuiki bellowed to his subordinates. "Witches? Because our choice of hair colour does not match your own? What are you, five hundred years of age? We demand representation, a fair trial. Dusty old prune! How dare you," Ava said wryly.

"To appease our Lord, these two must face justice! And what better justice can there be, I ask you, save for our ring," Chief Kuiki shouted, speaking over kk. "Ex-SQUEEZE me? We haven't done anything wrong. Please spare us that fate," Scarlett said pleadingly. Chief Kuiki rolled his eyes Heavenward, making Ava glance and Scarlett and minutely shake her head. "Scar, you're wasting your breath. You can't reason with those that are insane. Take my sister, for example. Hey, Chief Crazy, are you going to at least furnish the pair of us with the rules? We deserve at least that," Ava said gruffly. "Oh, certainly. You'll never leave this place. First, we will unlock your prison cells. Then we will watch you fight for your very lives against my Donphan. Good plan?," Chief Kuiki replied gleefully. 

"That sounds like a good plan's polar opposite," Scarlett said unhelpfully. "It's a suicide move, but it won't be your life on the line, Kuiki, it'll be our own. Give me my goddamn POKéMON first. Then we'll see who'll be the last one standing!," Ava sniped. The gathered crowd gasped, held in the thrall of Kuiki as well as in the grip of his outrage in the face of the defiance of the insolent ones before him.

"No. You must serve your justice alone. You have used your innocent Pokemon for your own cruel purposes long enough," Chief Kuiki said venomously. "I see. You want us to fight your Donphan, unarmed, while you force it to fight us with its tusks and fangs. HOW IS THAT FAIR?," Ava snarled. "Life itself is unfair, twisted one. This is true justice," Chief Kuiki said soothingly. "Again with your justice baloney. Justice for what? For merely existing? We're innocent, Your Honour. I vote for a mistrial. A miscarriage of JUSTICE," Ava added. Scarlett bounced up and down upon her toes as she spoke. "I agree with Ava. We have done no harm. Let us go freely!," Scarlett yowled. "Enough talking! Release my Donphan. Let the fight to the death commence!," Chief Kuiki commanded, and the cell doors were opened.

"Turn and face your doom with dignity, honour and grace, foul Witch Duo. We shall soon be well rid of you and your despicable magics," Chief Kuiki said, undeterred from his course of action. "Well, Shinx. This is not looking blooming brilliant," Ava said, stating the fracking obvious for all to hear. The scene faded to black. Merlot made her way to the temple.

Soon, she encountered two villagers blocking the path ahead of her. It took some doing and some time, but Merlot eventually surged on through, winning her way past the stupefied villagers who then handed over her prize money.

Merlot mimicked Myriad’s path through the forest, discovery of TMX7 and of the temple’s password.

After entering the clearing and undergoing its final double battle, Merlot entered the temple. Chief Kuiki did not ignore this slight to his personage and Merlot's intrusion. He challenged her to face him in a Pokémon battle that would determine the fates of Ava and Scarlett.

It was time to face the big enchilada. The big kahuna. Chief freaking Nutso, Kuiki. Merlot accepted. The battle began.

Upload Schedule:

Three current works upon this site necessitates a lot of time spent writing and editing, switch-ups of dialogue and so on. I will Endeavour to upload new creative content here with regularity. I'll try to not let too much time pass during uploads. I play each game as I write my take upon their story and scenes. This can be a blessing and a curse at times as I multitask between gameplay and writing.

There exists this pesky little thing called muse. It strikes when it strikes and as soon as it does, it must be acted-upon.

We all also have a life to live in the meantime and so that compounds matters all the more, but we all do what we can, as best as we can, when and where we can.

Reviews:

I cannot stress the fact more that reviews are key. I'm not trying to be salty or a gaslighter, but reviews are what make our content here well worth the effort and dedication of writing and uploading them here. In my honest opinion, leaving a critique or even just dropping a "Hi, I like your content" does and would go a long way to pay it forward to your fellow, hardworking writer/content creator.

I can lead a metaphorical horse to water, but I can't make it drink.

It's up to you to review if and when you're moved to do so. Writing without reviews feels more like journaling to me. It is isolating and frustrating at times, but it is ultimately worth doing to chronicle your thoughts, feelings and take upon these games.

Chapter Three: The Demented Mentalist

After clearing a secondary Vileplume and venturing through a secret pathway alongside of Connor, Myriad found and rescued Lyra's husband. Introducing himself as Noel, the man went on to explain that he used to be a villager within Sheridan Village. One day, he had spoken out against Kuiki and had been locked within this hut, just outside of the village temple. Noel explained that had he not have feigned compliance via fake hypnosis, he would have fared far worse than he had done.

That having been said, Noel couldn't remember much else about his ordeal, although he did ask after Lyra. "The password for the guards is 'Messiah,'" Noel divulged, before he handed over TMX7 Rock Smash.

Myriad placed the TMX7 into his Key Items pocket and Noel promised to wait within the hut until it was all over.

A fight with the two guards at the temple's entrance yielded their passage into said temple, where they confronted Kuiki.

"Hey, Myriad! How did you find us here? It's dangerous, especially for someone that has no Pokemon," Ava called up from the pit. Connor and Myriad stood upon a raised balcony that faced Kukui and the pit cages. "Myriad has Pokemon now! Kuiki, you old geezer, your time is up," Connor called heatedly. “Blast and burn, my dear, just how did Myriad know to find me here?,” Kuiki asked Ava.

“You tried to have your Donphan impale us with its tusks. Your right to question me has been nulled and voided,” Ava snapped severely. Scarlett chimed in, metaphorically lunging to the defence of Ava’s character. “Awwwww, snap, failed assassin! Ava’s seen right through you and her words have incinerated you. Hope you have more Burn Heals than you know what to do with on hand. You’ll be needing them aaaaaall, Murder Cultist,” Scarlett said, in a singsong tone of voice that made Myriad’s heart swell with pride to hear it. Ava drew herself up with the regality and pure pride of a proper queen in response.

“I have to agree with my friends, Kuiki. It’s not customary to mistreat your visitors so. Hadn’t your mother taught you that as a teen, or are you so old that you can’t remember back to that point in your life?,” Myriad replied, as he pulled out his first Poke Ball. “The insolence within this child! We shall battle. I shall take you down,” Kuiki screeched, withdrawing his own first Poke Ball. Myriad smirked, his expression one of snide superiourity. “You can’t take me anywhere, savage madman – not even to the cleaners. I’ll crush you,” Myriad replied. Kuiki appeared extremely apathetic, standing with his arms crossed. "You'll do no such thing," Kuiki growled.

“Even your minions of murder couldn’t eradicate me from existence. What makes you think that you can succeed where that team has failed?,” Myriad advised. "Why don't you show your people your Drowzee. The one that you've been using to hypnotise them into the worship of you?," Connor posited.

Kukui blanched, even as he tried to appear unconcerned. "What Drowzee? I have no Drowzee," he replied snidely. "Oh, you crafty old liar, Kuiki. You have a yellow and brown Drowzee. You'd additionally used it to spread propaganda about yourself to look even more like a hero. Give up your pretences. Why don't you tell your flock how you've been lying to them for years on end? You're a flagrant, selfish con-artist with an unhealthy narcissism and I will shut down your schemes for good," Myriad opined harshly.

Ava yelled encouragement to Myriad from the sidelines, barely restraining herself from joining the battle and teaming up with Myriad for a Double Battle against Chief Kuiki. “You tell that good for nothing, sanctimonious grass-hole. Myriad, you glorious specimen of decency and of humanity! You be sure to call me when you’re of age, I wish to adopt you. You let me know if that proposition interests you, yeah, foster son-to-be? Now go and obliterate that kook. Villagers, Connor and Myriad are right. Kuiki's been manipulating you all of this time,” Ava yelled.

Myriad awarded Ava the same look that his Alolan cousin’s Rowlet had given him within its first rival battle, a quizzical and keen-eyed look that did not fail to convey his bafflement toward its intended recipient. “I’m intrigued by the prospect that you raise, Ava, but I really have to find my feet in this world first. I've got to find my parents,” Myriad replied. “I’ll take that as an ‘I’ll put some serious thought into your once in a lifetime offer, Ava.’ OK, battle prince, you’re on,” Ava replied cheerfully. Her eyes never let the duplicitous Kuiki.

Chief Kuiki scoffed. “Rather pre-emptive and self-indulgent of you to even entertain the possibility of that wishful thinking, reprehensible witch. Who would wish to become such a vacuous, carbon copy  of a reprobate such as yourself?,” Chief Kuiki pitched in virulently. “No-one here asked for your unwanted opinion, you crusty old crustacean! Myriad, send that smarmy ruffian and his pack of Pokemon packing, you slayer of all types of critters, you,” Ava fired back, glaring glacial daggers that could have caused a Scald effect at Chief Kuiki.

Myriad had never been in the prescence of two people who detested each other as much as Ava and Kuiki despised each other. The raw tension and menace within the room was starting to make him feel very much supercharged and on edge. Unsettling didn’t even begin to cover his swirling emotions right now.

"This isn't looking great for you, is it, Kuiki? You'd best hope that this journal does not exist. It will seal your fate if it does. The truth is coming out," Shiv said from the balcony to the pit's upper right hand side. "Shiv's here? What the Helioptile?," Connor said, confused by the renewed prescence of Shiv. "You promised me, Shiv! You swore that you would not do this," Kuiki yowled. "I had my fun while it lasted, Kuiki. They really did get the better of you," Shiv said unapologetically, his tone the epitome of casual.

The villagers began to chant that Kuiki was a liar, which served to further rile the village chief and make him act rashly.

"There's no point in further deception. I have been hypnotising these villagers with my Drowzee. It was so that they could do my bidding and worship me. Do you think yourselves to be the first to try to wrest away my control? You are truly most arrogant. I do not fear loss of control, because I can simply seize it back," Chief Kuiki said. "Drowzee, go! It's too late for you now, Myriad. Hypnosis," he added.

His Drowzee hypnotised almost everyone. Somehow, Myriad and Connor were not hypnotised. "Hero up, Myriad! Get GOING," Connor yelled brashly. Myriad was telekinetically shotput over the balcony railing, landing in front of Kuiki as Connor tumbled into the pit. Connor managed to remain on his feet as he stood before the Donphan. Myriad targeted Kuiki. Connor attacked the Donphan. "Your aura! It's just like...but it just can't be. I'll clobber you with the strength of my Pokemon. Dustox, go!," Chief Kuiki yelled, sending forth his Level 16 Dustox.

Myriad's Wingo took care of the Dustox with a few Gust attacks. Kuiki sent out his Level 15 Komala. Myriad recalled Wingo.

“Daenerys, commendable work! Use Bite and put your all into it,” Myriad commanded, sending out his shiny white Poochyena as he spoke. “Ooooh, how kinky,” Connor said, just loud enough for Myriad to hear it. As much as he disliked Connor, Myriad had to award the Fire Leader a hearty guffaw at that. Daenerys materialised and bit Komala into unconsciousness. Kuiki sent in his Level 17 Drowzee.

"Bite that Drowzee, Daenerys, my queen," Myriad commanded, sending out his Level 18 Poochyena as he spoke. The Drowzee tried to Headbutt Daenerys. It landed its attack. Shrugging off the weak strike as she bit the Drowzee once more, Daenerys barked a sharp, satisfied bark as the Drowzee hit the wooden deck at Kuiki's feet. It did not get to its feet. "How could this even be possible?," Kuiki drawled, staring down at his downed Drowzee in shock. "I've lost. Truly inconcievable," Chief Kuiki said dully, his tone sullen as he returned his fainted Pokemon. Daenerys evolved into a shiny Mightyena.

Shiv wore an expression of pure elation. "Bravo to you, Myriad! Most fascinating, indeed. The villagers of Keneph are in your debt. What will they do now?," Shiv called and enquired. The villagers seemed to awaken as if from the deepest and darkest of nightmares. "Our village was on its last legs since before Kuiki's arrival here. We will elect a real and natural leader, as we had before! Someone with true depth and integrity," a villager said firmly. "We won't let this be the end of us," the other villagers shouted. Shiv blinked. "Well, good for all of you," he said flatly.

“Fridge you, Kuiki, you monster trucker. I freaking loved seeing Myriad wipe every single existing floor with you and your Pokemon,” Scarlett said mutinously, impressing everyone present, friend and foe alike, with the vehemence within her unguarded and embittered tone. “Daaaaaaang, now look who’s setting up to become a badgrass! And the award for Most New and Improved Savage goes to…,” Connor called from the sidelines, his expression suffused with an admiration and an approval that was well and truly rare for him.

Scarlett beamed in response, a blush that matched her name suffusing her face. Myriad felt a renewed sense of kinship toward Ava and Scarlett, beyond appreciative and proud of his friends for never ceasing to have his back. Kuiki flushed pure crimson as well, filled with anything but a combination of flattered yet mortified. “I’ll make you eat every one of your blatantly offensive words, Witch Duo! Villagers, attack,” Chief Kuiki roared, incensed beyond composure. 

Connor interjected his take from the sidelines. “An ‘In your dreams, you insufferable excuse for a Hypno reject’ is in order and is directed to you, Chief Crazypants. I do not churn to discover the content of your actual dreams. No doubt anything goes there. No judgement here. What I do judge you for is the abhorrent rejection of your Vileplume. You spout a crock of spit about the cruelty of Pokemon mistreatment while you neglect your own Grass Pokemon. Pot, meet kettle. While you’re there, kettle, Stomp upon pot’s foot and call it a hypocrite,” Connor called angrily. Chief Kuiki blanched as everyone present gave him glares of silent yet extremely violent death.

“You miscreant! I respect and cherish every single one of my Pokemon. How dare you try to instigate a riot within my ranks, within my house of worship. Guards, seize and eject this blight upon my every sense,” Chief Kuiki screeched like a banshee. The guards looked at each other, looked at Connor, looked at their boss…and remained at their post. “What do I pay you for? Do good work for me, your boss. Do as I command,” Chief Kuiki shouted, discomfited at his lackey’s sudden lack of deference to him.

Connor tilted his head to one side, glanced at the guards, then glanced back at Chief Kuiki. “You’re not going to bounce me so easily, Creepy. Your influence isn’t worth a damn since Myriad swept the floors with you. Good luck with alternate employment,” Connor sneered.

Myriad was glad to hear that Connor could not only be counted upon in a pinch, but that he was as quip-happy and quite snappy as always. “You’ll be friendless and fearful in no time, Chief Kooky! Connor, I just might revise my initial character assessment of you,” Scarlett said thoughtfully.

“Initial assessment of moi? You must be referring to my dashing good looks, my indomitable will, my uncurtailable witty banter and my stunning, fiery quiff. I don’t blame you for being an admirer of mine,” Connor said, without missing a beat. Scarlett smiled a slow, mischievious smile. “If you say so. Those are your self-descriptors,” Scarlett replied. Connor wore a look of all-encompassing curiousity and undivided interest as he sized Scarlett up with his steady gaze.

“You don’t say. Damn if you don’t intrigue me one minute and then tick me off the next minute. You’re not already taken? I throw my hat in the ring if you’re not,” Connor said, flat out and with a staggering sincerity.

Scarlett remained silent, hedging her bets. Connor sulked. “This is Jerry Springer: Rejuve Edition, not Deerling Dateline. Cut to the chase, Myriad. Nice work!,” Ava opined from the sidelines. Downtrodden and dismayed, the defeated Chief Kuiki handed over the battle victor’s prize money and then he spoke in a hoarse croak. “You, a grass-roots Trainer from a nothing place, managed to defeat me, a battle veteran of peerless prestige and a spotless victory record. I call hacks. Treachery, I tell you. I demand a rematch,” Chief Kuiki snapped.

Myriad shook his head slowly, recalling Daenerys as he did so. “I decline your rematch request, which was more of a demand. Defog the hypnotized minds of your village underlings, Kuiki, or prepare to spend a permanent allotment of time in prison,” Myriad said.

Connor spoke before Chief Kuiki could. “And if you refuse to comply with Myriad’s command, know that I will remain within this place forever to plague you twenty-four-seven with incessant show-tunes from every era. I can make it so that you get no peace and quiet, Captain Creepshow. Is that what you would prefer? Is that your choice?,” Connor said, in an utterly disturbing, level tone.

Chief Kuiki grimaced. “Hex, no. That would be awful. Just so that you can memorise it, my title is Chief and my name is Kuiki,” Chief Kuiki said crossly. “Oh, right. Colonel Kooky, yes? Or is it Commander Creepypasta, Counselor Killjoy, Crazy Lazy or Human Hypno? All of these apply to you,” Ava said smoothly. “No, those monikers do not suit me. Nor do they apply to me,” Chief Kuiki refuted.

Myriad folded his arms and watched the drama unfold, wishing that he had a large bucket of popcorn on hand that he could pop while he witnessed the battle of belittling unfold. “Crazy Lazy? How DARE you. You have zero idea about how much mental exertion I must endure daily. Only I ensure the smooth operation of my village,” Chief Kuiki rattled off in retaliation. “I do believe that we have a confession, Your Honour. Permission to approach the accused?,” Connor asked Myriad.

“Permission granted, Counselor,” Myriad said loyally. Connor grinned.

“Brilliant. I suggest that you do not resist. You’re under arrest, Kuiki, for coercion, obstruction, dereliction of duty, psychological manipulation, entrapment without just cause and no doubt many other crimes that I have yet to uncover. Mark me well, I will find out your deepest, darkest secrets and I'll bring them to bear against you. Guards, you’re up,” Connor said sternly.

The guards that Myriad had passed in order to get here approached Chief Kuiki. However, before they could seize the chief’s arms, drag them behind his back and marched him into a free prison cell, Shiv intervened. "Kuiki, we're done here," he said before he vanished.

Shiv reappeared in front of Chief Kuiki, who wore an expression of absolute terror.

"N - no! Shiv -," Kuiki whined. Shiv gripped Kuiki's biceps and teleported them both out of the village. 

Myriad sighed. “That can lead to nothing at all copacetic,” he said idly. Connor and company swept the place and located Ava's and Scarlett's Poke Balls. They returned these Poke Balls to Scarlett and Ava. "You've honoured us greatly, Myriad. We will not forget this," the villagers said gratefully. "With our clouded minds, we forgot who we were. If we can ever of later service, please call upon us. We will repair and restart. Our village will close temporarily. Upon our grand reopening, you will be welcomed back with wide-open arms," the villagers continued.

Myriad, Ava and Connor showed the villager's Noel's journal, which further proved the validity of their assertions against Chief Kuiki.

Noel's name and reputation were cleared and he was free to return to Lyra. The husband and wife thanked Myriad, Ava, Scarlett and Connor profusely. They assured them there would always be a place here for them all if they so desired it. The young heroes and heroines were then permitted to leave the curse-free village uncontested.

Myriad and company left the village immediately after multiple Damp Rocks were embedded into the prison cells to dampen Chief Kuiki’s psychic powers, should he ever seek to return. Once Chief Kuiki was found, Myriad felt confident that until the League and the authorities would recapture him and place him within a suitable, Damp Rock-inset prison cell. Myriad’s journeying took him to the temple entrance.

Scarlett, Ava and Connor awaited him at the foot of the entrance staircase. "We don't have time to dawdle here. If they're taking their time, then -," Connor began, but Ava interrupted him. "Shut it, Four Eyes, we'll simply wait for them!," Ava snapped. "Four Eyes? Reaaaally? I'll have you know that I just took part within your rescue. That means - ah, Myriad. You're finally here," Connor fired back, looking past Ava at Myriad as he addressed them both. "Myriad, our hero! We were waiting for you. Bearhug!," Scarlett said contentedly.

She bestowed a bearhug upon Myriad as he approached Connor, Ava and Scarlett herself. Accepting Scarlett's bearhug with a spontaneous laugh, Myriad returned Scarlett's hug and then released his hold as soon as she released her own hold around his middle back. "Great job back there, Myriad. Welcome back. I really hoped, but didn't think, that you had it in you. Battle me someday?," Ava said to Myriad. "You bet, Ava," Myriad replied. "I'm a Gym Leader, too, you know, Myriad. You must battle me soon," Connor said, keen not to be left out of a Myriad battle.

Ava tilted her head slightly, her expression intrigued as she looked at Connor. "So you must be Connor. The cocky Leader of Fire types, yes?," Ava enquired. Connor half-smiled at Ava. "I prefer 'confident,' but that'll do. You can only ever trash-talk me like that if I ever got beaten by a total noob someday. I take it that you are Ava?," Connor responded. "I am she of whom you speak," Ava said calmly. "Myriad has no Badges. I'd say that he counts as a novice," Scarlett opined. Ava clapped her hands gleefully, making everyone present award her the side-eye. "Connor could battle Myriad! If Myriad wins, I can trash-talk Connor indefinitely. In fact, we al can," Ava said merrily.

"Let's battle, Connor. Are you genuinely worried that I will defeat you?," Myriad said, feeling fired-up for further battles.

Connor pursed his lips, folding his arms as he spoke. "Let's high-tail it to the next town. After we heal up our Pokemon, you are absolutely on for a Gym battle with me, Myriad," Connor acquiesced. "Specs here finally says something that I can agree with. Let's rustle our muscles and hop to it," Ava said breezily. "Could you cut it out, Ava?," Connor asked tersely. "Cut what out?," Ava asked innocently, as they all began to travel away from the village. "You know what!," Connor said in a brittle tone.

Scarlett burst into unbroken gales of amused laughter.

They all soon arrived at Redcliff Town, which was just across a series of nearby bridges. "I want to see you wipe the smirk off of Four Eyes Flint over there, Myriad. Don't let me down," Ava said. Further battles resulted within Wingo's evolution into a shiny Pidgeotto. Just after Myriad passed through the end gate and into Redcliff Town, a familiar figure, unseen by him, reached the bridge that overlooked the end gate. "Unbelievable. Kukui did not pay off as expected. That group of kids are exactly what and whom I've been searching for. Time. Will. Tell," The Woman said. Meanwhile, the odd green gates of Redcliff Town loomed before Myriad, Scarlett, Connor and Ava.

"Myriad. We're in quite the to-do," Ava greeted, the moment that Myriad approached her. "Hey. Let me in - it's only your Gym Leader, Connor, here. I'm not some boujee nobody!," Connor called to the gatekeeper. "I've never heard of a Connor Gym Leader," The Gatekeeper said innocuously. "This isn't funny. It never had been," Connor grumbled. "Oh, I disagree. This is a laugh riot. This couldn't be more brilliant," Ava said chirpily. Connor glowered at Ava.

He then aimed an even more charged scowl up at The Gatekeeper for good measure. "Please can we enter Redcliff?," Connor asked, making a supreme effort to be nice. "No can do. We'd be foolish to allow anyone entrance after the natives' attacks. We've really had to ramp up security. A Gym Leader named Connor? More like Con Artist! You can't hoodwink me," The Gatekeeper said shrewdly. Ava chuckled into her hands for several minutes, but then she sobered up.

"OK, this has gone on far enough. I've had my fill of this fun. Excuse me, Gatekeeper. I'm Ava, the Grass Leader of Darkroot Town! Will you please permit us entrance?," Ava called to the Gatekeeper placidly.

The Gatekeeper visibly appeared to leap out of her skin, such was her absolute astonishment. "Lady Ava? Oh, my. But of course. Please accept my sincerest and deepest apologies," The Gatekeeper said, in a tone of unconcealed and blatant admiration. "A Gym Leader is here! Permitting her entrance to Redcliff. Stand by!," The Gatekeeper announced.

She then opened the gate, allowing Myriad and company to pass through it and truly enter Redcliff Town. Connor wore a look of deep, wounded pride, his face blooming a deep and mottled red from pure outrage.

"Do come on in, Lady Ava. Once again, permit me to extend my profuse apologies," The Gatekeeper said obsequiously. "All is forgiven and forgotten. Thank you. Farewell," Ava said graciously, gesturing for Myriad to lead the way into the town. Myriad entered the town first, closely followed by Ava, Scarlett and then finally, a very outraged and humiliated Connor.

After healing up and then buying some Poke Mart Poke Balls, Myriad backtracked to the waterfall and invited a Croagunk to join his Party. After many soft resets, a shiny Croagunk joined his team. Making his way back to Redcliff Village, Myriad prepared to take on Connor in his first no holds barred Pokemon Gym Battle.

Hey. So, just a bit of a progress update before I post my next Myriad chapter. Not to worry, I haven't given up upon this fanfic. I have simply been caught up with the usual day to day tasks and responsibilities. Thank you for sticking by me with your views - it means alot to me to have your continued creative support. Admittedly, I have been sidetracked lately by the Sucker Punch-es of the whims of Fate and of life, as well as with certain Pokemon fangames (why must you be so darned addictive, fangames? xD) and Let's Plays. In any case, it's been on my mind to keep you all in the loop in regard to my writing here. Please consider yourself/ves looped in.

How am I doing thus far? Please let me know what you think of my Myriad fanfic if you feel inclined to do so.

Oh, my Lords Arceus, Helix and the like,

Hello, all, and apologies for my abscence. Life has been a Whirlwind for me as of late, which has necessitated my taking time out to myself and for myself. I assure you all that I am doing well and refocusing alot less upon fangames that I need to play (I am focusing solely upon the ones that I am writing about here, instead), as this will result within less stress about meeting self-imposed deadlines and more chill time to write and post my story content in a timely yet relaxed manner and method. In my defence, I have been afk up until today.

EDIT: I will now write and post Chapter Four asap, starting from tomorrow, my time. (Fri 24/09/21). I will edit it here upon its completion. OK, so I have decided to focus my attentions upon each of these fanfiction works, but one at a time. I will complete Alisa, then Alto and only then will I complete Jester, then Myriad. I had been focusing upon posting one chapter for each and splitting my attention between them before now, but I have to do what's right for me. If this will require a story repost for Alto, Myriad and/or Jester, then I request permission to repost them (I don't know how and/or if posts that don't get updated regularly would then get archived or not.)

chapter update stress