[CW] Alto: Radical Rejuvenation [Feedback]

Valyrian_Reforged

Chapter One: The Gear Shift

No longer could I stand to wear the clothing that I had almost perished within while aboard the ill-fated S.S. Oceana cruise liner. I changed my clothing. In my adventurer’s clothing – white and blue arctic combat-pants, black shirt, Pokemon Gear, black socks, light blue Nike running-shoes with their white shoelaces and white tick and my sky-blue bandana, which I wore around my neck – I, Alto, am finally ready to take on the world and the people of Aevium.

My bubblegum-pink hair and warm brown eyes marked me as different at first glance. I had inherited my pink hair from my mother and my eyes from my father. They said that I wouldn't survive their clutches. Then they said that it mattered not that I had survived, when I had survived, because they would see me again. I, Alto, swore that not only would they meet me again, but that I would reclaim my captured mother from them and that I would also repay their savagery in kind. After recovering from my shock, I made my way past Oceana Pier, chose my first Pokemon, a Rowlet that I didn't nickname.

I sought to fill out my team. I encountered, and caught, several nearby Pokemon, which I incorporated into my first Pokemon Party team.

My heart and soul were set upon defending the defenceless, catching every worthwhile Pokemon that I could and taking step by calculated step toward my mother's captors and tormentors. I had been informed that their group's name was Team Xen. Filing this away for later analysis, I made my way to the Abandoned Sewers. With the help of a fellow Trainer, Ren, I fought off many Pokemon in double battles with Ren, then faced off against a Pokemon gang, which was led by a wild, shiny and unobtainable Garbodor. These Pokemon were in the final room with Melia, Professor Jenner's daughter, and with Venam.

My team of Dartrix, Padfoot (my Dark-type Mightyena), Feebas (my Fairy/Poison fish), Buizel (my Water 'mon), Hermione (my Bug/Poison Dustox) and Fletchling (my Normal/Flying bird) handily defeated the Garbodor gang and saved the day. By the time that I raised my Pokemon to Level 19, I swept the first Poison Gym and bested Venam in battle to claim my first PoisonHeart Badge.

I went upon a jaunt through Goldenrod Forest with Melia, where I faced a battle against Xen Grunts Eli and Sharon and their Zen Executive, Zetta. My capture of several Shadow Pokemon (Cacnea, Snorunt, Meowth and Finneon) aided me with these battles and I lived through them to get vacuumed through a dimensional rift. Within the rift, I encountered a Magikarp, which then proceeded to evolve into a startling Shadow Gyarados. It was intimidating and strong, but it was ultimately no match for my team and for my strategies. I persevered and prevailed to journey ever onward.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to snag Shadow Gyarados before its inevitable defeat. I don't know why this was the case, but it was. I healed up my Pokemon and returned to East Gearen City, where I managed to soft rest, after two days of major reset struggles, for my latest team member. This Pokemon was the queen of my heart, a shiny female Nidoran whom I nicknamed Khaleesi, after the Mad Queen Daenerys Targaryen. I returned to the Sewers to train Khaleesi up to my team's current top level of nineteen. Some time later, Khaleesi leveled up to sixteen, evolved into Nidorina and then, through more battles, adavnced to reach level 19. I headed out of the Sewers and ventured forth to continue my Pokemon adventure through this vast and wondrous region.

Not only was I determined to soft reset for every gift and wild Pokemon that I possibly could, but I was also determined to hunt down and soft reset for every available gift and quest Pokemon that I possibly could. I hadn't always been a shiny hunter, but I had caught the shiny hunting bug from ORAS and beyond and I couldn't shake it. The moment when I had managed to SR for my first shiny mythical 'mon had been the highlight of that year for me. I still am yet to top that moment in time and I still have that Pokemon that I have made sure to cherish.

I also make a point of soft resetting in my other Pokemon playthrough and adventure of Pokemon Reborn, just as an aside. Once I had shiny hunted several more Pokemon (a shiny Trubbish, a shiny Rattata that I nicknamed Khal Drogo, a shiny Shuppet which I nicknamed Wraith, and a shiny Gulpin, which I nicknamed Vile). I found a wild Nidoran Male in the rain, beside a factory to the right-hand side of the Oceana Pier Gate. One Gourmet Treat offering from me and the Nidoran indicated that he wished to battle me and have a chance to join me via capture. 

I welcomed him onto my team after many soft resets and a capture. This ensured that he was shiny and that he was a part of my team. I nicknamed him Drogon, after the red and black dragon of Daenerys Targaryen. Seeing a flock of Fletchling nearby, I decided to shiny hunt for a shiny Fletchling, which proved immensely time-consuming and problematic, as one would not show up without a fight. However, once I had encountered a shiny Fletchling, I nicknamed it Ventilate and added it to my party. This team member was a replacement for my non-shiny Fletchling.

It evolved, through leveling up, at Level 17, into a shiny Fletchinder. Once I had leveled my newest team members up to Level 19, I confirmed that there was nothing left for me to do in and around Gearen Laboratory. I backtracked to the Gearen Help building, entered it, met Ayumi and underwent Help orientation. After that, I undertook some requests, namely Save Starly!, Wretched Music, The Hidden Library and Love Letter. I don't want to undertake too many quests on at once and risk overleveling above the max level that I could level-up to safely, Level 23, which was just beneath the Level 25 secondary Badge level cap.

Having one's Pokemon disobey one was never a great occurrence and idea. While leveling up, I encountered a wild shiny Weedle, which I caught, but did not nickname. While leveling to Level 20, I encountered and caught a shiny Pidove, which I nicknamed Aerate. I then encountered a shiny Pidgey, which I caught and nicknamed Skywalker. A Whismur in the Forest waited hungrily for a passerby to offer it a Gourmet Treat. Several battles and soft resets later, I encountered and captured a shiny Whismur, which I nicknamed Subwoofer.

I leveled up my shiny Nidoran Male to Level 16. He evolved it into shiny Nidorino. I  found a Zygarde Cell, during the day, just South of the Goldenwood Forest entrance, which I immediately added to my Bag. 

Doing so netted us both a shiny Pichu, a shiny Litleo and a shiny Growlithe, among other things.

It was time to locate Route 2 and then...Sheridan Village. I backtracked to the Gearen Laboratory, walked into a room beside the Pokemon Center and immediately met Team Xen Executive Madelis, who sent out her ace, Houndoom, a Dark/Fire type, to battle Melia's shiny Togepi. After a short battle in which Melia won/lost, her Togepi teleported Melia from the building, necessitating a search and rescue mission. When I finally found Melia after countless Xen Grunt battles, I met Ren and Karrina at The Abandoned Factory at Junction Bridge, got some stuff done there and then continued onward.

*************************************************************************************

In an alternate universe, Alto's alternate self, a red-haired boy of her own age, Arpeggio, did all of the things and saw all of the turmoil and things that Alto did. There were key differences in his Pokemon journey, though. His Pokemon were slightly different from her own and he had managed, unlike her, to be gifted, after several soft resets, with a Poison/Fairy type shiny Feebas. His Party consisted of Brionne (Water type), Gulpin, Beautifly (Bug/Flying type), Geodude (Rock/Ground type), shiny Rattata (Dark/Normal type) and his new shiny Feebas. He had also, unlike her, managed to capture a Rockruff within the Goldenwood Forest cave. He had later bred it to then trade one of them, many soft resets later, for a different form shiny Rockruff with Own Tempo.

This was something that Alto vowed to do once she was able to. His journey varied slightly to her own and it was unknown as to whether or not it would be easier than or more difficult than her own journey. He had also caught multiple shiny Pokemon that I had also caught, namely shiny Fletchling, (Normal/Flying type), shiny Rattata (Dark/Normal type), shiny Nidoran (Male, Poison type), shiny Nidoran (Female, Poison type) and shiny Whismur, (Normal type) thus far. He, just like she, would record the journey for posterity, detailing everything that would be encountered, captured, battled and endured so that these details would not be lost to the ravages of time. After he completed a variety of Help Quests from the Help Plaza, so did I. He was my equal. My rival.

He was almost exactly like me. At times, my alternate self seemed super lucky. He managed to encounter, then catch, a shiny Sentret, a shiny Trubbish and a shiny Noibat which appeared right after that. He nicknamed the shiny Trubbish Pungent and the shiny Noibat Boombox. Arpeggio's Fletchling leveled up to 17 and evolved into Fletchinder. Arpeggio promptly raised the shiny Sentret, Draco, one level and he evolved into a shiny Furret.

Current shinies that Arpeggio and I have found, thus far: 

Shi-Pichu.PNG

Shi-Lit.PNG

Shi-Fur.PNG

Shi-Flet.PNG

Shi-Nidor.PNG

Shi-Pid.PNG

Shi-We.PNG

Shi-Fle2.PNG

Shi-Trubb.PNG

Shi-Noib.PNG

Shi-Sen.PNG

Edited by Valyrian_Reforged

Chapter Two: Destination Known: Funky Factory, Etcetera

I swept through the entrance of The Abandoned Factory. Upon my entry, I immediately took note of my garish surroundings.

It was evident, at first glance, that no-one sane could have been in residence here. The floor tiles were a horrid mixture of neon fuschia, ghastly mint green and virulent to the eye bright yellow. I had to focus not upon the tiles underfoot for fear of a brain hemorrhage that could be inflicted upon me by sense of sight alone. They left an undesired imprint upon my mind due to the toxicity of their garishness.

"Okay, this is it. According to official reports, a Xen Admin is using this place as a lair. We take him, her, them, or any other non-binary prefix down and voila, any remaining Xen Grunts should panic and book it from East Gearen," Karrina said confidently. 

"We've got one shot at this, Seal Team Ampharos. Let's make it count. Keep your wits about you, though. Stay calm, stay close and for Gearen's sake, follow my lead. I may not be a gang leader, but I'm going to sweep this League and take you all by storm," I said, brimming with charisma and contained confidence.

Karrina's brows narrowed even further, draping over her eyes like a makeshift cowl. She mercifully held her tongue, which was more than I could hope for at this point. A dominance battle during an already tense situation would be far from ideal. 

Gladdened that I had added a new member, a shiny Litleo, to my team, I smiled to myself. I was ready for anything. My team were all Level 21 Pokemon, four levels away from the level cap that I was keeping a keen and beady eye upon. There was no way in Hail that I would allow my Pokemon to disobey me. They were too important to me to let them become unruly.

Constantly assailed by an unsettling feeling of deep and dark foreboding, I noted that nothing within this place looked natural. Repulsed more upon principle than anything else, I soon made my way to the source of the erratic, staccato, echoing and unhinged maniacal laughter and hoped that she hadn't wandered onto a new and unopened site of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Although I had enjoyed reading the novels, I did not relish nor cherish the possibility of a real-life encounter with the murder-matronics.

We met up with Venam just inside of the building. She seemed surprised to see us. The relief upon her face was like a balm to soothe my mid-level concern toward her and I released a breath that I hadn't realised that I'd been holding. 

"Hi, guys!,' Venam said guiltily. "Don't 'hi, guys' us as if it isn't anything. Do you have any idea how worried we've been? We're your friends," Karrina said gruffly. Tempering the bite within her response with a fierce and unforseen hug of Venom, Karrina stared combatively at me over Venam's left shoulder as Venom returned her hug.

"You were unwise to run off before we could regroup, Venam. This place isn't one to taken on lightly, nor alone. I -," I contributed firmly, holding Karrina's eye contact until she was the first to break eye-contact. An intruder alarm blared an obnoxious, klaxon-like and repetitive shriek that threatened to wrench our eardrums from their resting-places, cutting me rather rudely off in midsentence.

Venam and Karrina drew back from their hug and sprang to vigilant attention, their shoulders back, head held high and their posture impeccably upright. Venam sighed. "That can't be good," she said, stating the Absol-ute obvious. Biting back the "You think!?" that was just itching to launch itself at Venam from the tip of my tongue, I revised Plan A. "Plan one change. We've been made. Let's confront the mad piece of Trubbish. This ends now," I said bravely, with such force of magnetism and indomitable will that even Karrina looked impressed with me. 

As I fanned out with Karrina and Ren in hopes of not catching a flash of garish paint and a flicker of metallic movement that would herald the end of my thus far short life, I gathered every remnant of my calm composure and held it close. Certain that this was the place where nightmares screamed themselves speechless and curled up to die, I cobbled together Plans A, B and C into a new and improved Ultimate Plan. I hoped like hell that I hadn't led us all into an inescapable place. I was not at all desirous of being forced to live here for all of eternity.

The heir apparent of said trash heap of an establishment greeted Ren, Karrina and myself with a hauteur that was astonishing to see from an individual who looked as this one happened to look. Wearing a butter wouldn't melt in my mouth grin, the grin's purple-haired owner peered down the end of his nose at their unexpected visitors.

"To wHat do I oWe this uNfOrTuNaTe visit, hMmMm, future lAb-rAtS? I aM in tHe middle oF a vErY delicate oPeRaTiOn. I mUsT strongly suGgEst that yOu take yOuR scandalous lEaVe," The Maniac said with relish. His tone was one of scientific curiousity, mixed with a liberal dash of hostility and sprinkled with a pinch of fervent hope that his will would be done.

The seeds of a fresh new plan sprouted within my mind and I hoped that it will bear the sweetest of fruit. Judging by the Musharna that was trapped within a machine behind The Maniac, whatever experiment operation he was conducting stood no chance of being good. "Xen Admin! What are you doing to that poor Musharna? Stop your experiments at once," I commanded imperiously.

The Maniac's unhinged grin broadened all the more and he spoke. "Xen AdMin? I aM Dr. JeNkel. No mAtter, you've aLl seen tOo much. My eXperimEnt will dispOse of eAch and eVeRy one oF you," The Maniac said gleefully. Clapping his hands with sadistic relish, The Maniac - Dr. Jenkel - cackled maniacally and sent his experiment out in battle against me. "Alto," Karrina said hurriedly, "defeat this human monstrosity and I'll admit you into my gang."

Ren pitched in his two Pokedollars. "Save Musharna! It can't be held accountable for the things it has been made to do," he said vehemently. Finding it very difficult to argue against their combined logic, I drew out my first Poke Ball and sent out my Level 15 Noibat. It was the most underleveled member of my team at present, but I knew that if I put in the hard yards in this early stage of the game, it would grow to become a behemoth worth keeping as a permanent fixture within my Party of Pokemon.

"Noibat, Bite that Munna!," I commanded. My Noibat swooped forward and bit the left-hand, Level 17 Munna. It crashed to the factory floor, knocked utterly senseless by the critical and suppereffective hit and Venam's Level 23 Grimer put paid to the remaining Munna with Knock Off. Dr. Genwunner Jenkel sent out his Level 18 Musharna and I struck like a Seviper. "Noibat, Bite!," I shouted, as Venam simultaneously shouted, "Grimer, Knock it all of the way Off!."

Dr. Jenkel's Mega Ring transformed the Musharna into a tanky Mega Musharna that Noibat's Bite grazed, but Grimer's Knock Off slapped slapped like a backhander from the blue. It shrieked with immeasurable pain before it hit the floor. It lay motionless upon the factory floor alongside of the Level 16 Munna that a now unsmiling Dr. Jenkel flung out with extreme malevolence.

"MuNna, Fairy WiNd!," Dr. Jenkel called and a sense of trepidation flooded through me before my Noibat was knocked unconscious. I recalled it, sent in my shiny Litleo and a further Knock Off from Venam's Grimer knocked the Munna into next month. "GaH! She's gOing to kiLl me. FliNg me inTo a frIed malamari pOt and sTew me aNd my PoKeMon alive. I'm doOmEd!," Dr. Jenkel roared, recalling his fainted Pokemon. Venam and I followed suit with our own Pokemon and I vowed to revive and restore Noibat upon my first available opportunity.

The Musharna was revived by Dr. Jenkel and it twitched where it levitated, then began to shake belligerent and ceaselessly. It seemed enraged at my team-mates and I, although I wasn't clear why this was. "It's really angry with us. Wait, whaaaaat? We saved its ungrateful grass! We saved it from its pain," I said, confounded by this latest development. Dr. Jenkel guffawed with laughter and then slapped his knees with childish, manic glee. "Of coUrse not! My mAcHiNe modifications hAd caused a sYmbiOtic effect. MuShArna does nOt apPreciAte its liNk being sEveRed. YoU sHoUlD fEar it. MuShArna was nEver in aNy harm...prObaBly," Jr. Jenkel said ambivalently.

He spoke in an offhand tone that made me want to slap that goofy grin off of his smug approximation of a face. "Are you malfunctioing, you self-serving knock-off of Magnemite? I sincerely want to know," Ren said, mystified. I laughed out loud and Dr. Jenkel glared at me. I laughed even harder and his expression promised me a swift execution. I was unphased. I knew that I wouldn't let it come to that. "You LaUgH now. YoU will rEgrEt that laTer," Dr. Jenkel said in a soft tone made all the more menacing for its nonchalance. "Why would you help Pokemon and not harm them? It's been experimented upon. That's grounds alone in favour of you're lying!," I said heatedly. 

"Ding dInG ding, we hAve a WiNneR!," Dr. Jenkel said glacially. Venam gasped, Karrina clenched her jaw and Ren snarled at Dr. Jenkel.

I could scarcely believe my ears when Dr. Jenkel added, "I nEeDed someone to tEsT out mY machine. CoMe back fOr chips aNd drinks! GeT out NoW." I didn't move a muscle. "First you engage us in battle. Then you threaten us, only to invite us back for food and drinks? I'm not going anywhere, Gen LOL, until I get some answers," I said seriously.

"Uh, no, we're good. Let's leave while the leaving's too good to pass up. Alto, I swear, if I have to drag your stubborn grass on out of here, so help me, Helix, I will. Try me, bucko," Karrina growled warningly. "Go right ahead. I'll just Wring Out my answers from this brazil nut next chance I get," I vowed. Karrina grabbed my left arm, an apologetic-looking Venam grabbed my right arm and they frog-marched me out the factory at double-time speed. "ByE, fReiNdS! Don't DiE now!," Dr. Jenkel called pleasantly.

Once outside of the factory, I was released with a shove from Karrina and I kept my balance. I turned back toward Karrina and I couldn't recollect having seen her look so livid. "We're not his friends. And way to throw a Stench into the pipeworks, Alto. What got into you back there? We're supposed to be a team!," Karrina snapped. "Way to let a perfect interrogation opportunity slip through our fingers, Karrina. We are a team. I'm its leader. I did say to follow my lead," I replied waspishly.

"And what a lead it had been! You would have imprisoned us all there to simply satisfy your precious personal pride. I am not down to indulge your nonsensical grudge against all villains! You could have gotten us killed," Karrina said, getting right up into my face as she spoke. "Get. Out of my. Face," I said, in a deceptively-composed and level tone. "Make. Me," Karrina fired back. My first and secondary Pokemon were in my hands and held at my sides before I had even been aware of having drawn them. "Oh, you've asked for a world of plentiful pain. I'll be sure to provide it," I replied humourlessly. 

Karrina's expression turned pinched as she mimicked my actions and threw hands by revealing her own held Poke Balls.

Before I could attempt to send out my first two Pokemon and punch the smug smirk off of Karrina's pretty but life-hardened face, Ren spoke. "Stand down, soldiers. It wasn't a complete waste of time. What have we learned so far, Venam?," he asked of Venam. His laconic enquiry diverted my attention inasmuch as my ears metaphorically perked up. Karrina was the first to return her Pokemon to her belt-clips.

After a moment had passed, I responded in kind. Venam spoke. "We have learned that Team Xen are conducting Pokemon experiments. That is worthy of continual personal investigation. We have learned that we could have spent this time, instead, by using it to rescue Melia from Team Xen's dark intentions," Venam said coldly. 

"I was leading a team to tell you that! When did you learn that?," I enquired, only turning toward Venam when Karrina did. "Ren told me so during your battle. We were the battle bystanders, yeah? To the Batmobile! Er, to the Train Station," Venam said, flustered. She then rushed off toward the East Gearen Train Station, leaving Ren, Karrina and myself staring after her, flummoxed.

"Um. Sorry that this didn't turn out as planned, Alto. I'm unused to being challenged. I don't like being anyone's subordinate. Here, accept this as an olive branch of sorts," Karrina said grimly. She handed me a TM94 Rock Smash and kept her hands casually by her sides. She was struggling to not reach for her Poke Balls. I appreciated the effort that she was making to resist her murkier, mobster-like tendencies.

Well, if she could be civil, then so could I. My dislike of her had been downgraded to a tolerance of her. "Apology accepted. Thank you, Karrina. I'm equally sorry. Two alpha wolves such as you and I are bound to clash with frequency," I said lightly. "As you say. Good luck with the rescue of Melia. I do hope for the best possible outcome. Do pay a visit to my crib when you are done. Good day," Karrina replied flatly.

She hurried off. If I had to hazard a guess, Karrina was on her way back to her gang's headquarters. I had to wonder what she had meant by the best possible outcome - did she still truly wish me to be harmed? - as I made good time to the pink-roofed train station.

Her house? Why does Karrina wish for me to visit her personally? I don't know whether she wants to boa-constrict me to death or make good upon her word to induct me into her gang, She sends very mixed signals, I thought as I stepped forward to meet my team. Maybe she has a personal mission that would suit me down to a Tympole. I hope so, I thought, continuing along this train of thought which I had boarded, sight unseen.

OK, Noibat would clearly have to serve as switch-in material until he caught up to my team's current maximum level. He'd prove himself worthy of me in future and so I considered this to be an investment within my battle future. Noibat wouldn't evolve for quite some time, but when he did, he would become pretty much unstoppable. I endeavoured to take the next available Route 2 train and explored the station's interiour.

Amethyst Cave, I learned, had been a series of underground tunnels before the tragedy that had befallen this region had struck it. The sequential earthquakes had caused the tunnels to collapse, only to be painstakingly be uprooted and developed into a series of caves that were made accessible to the people aboveground. I zipped through the turnstile and met Ren and Venam upon the Route 2 platform. As soon as I approached them, Venam and Ren nodded to me. I boarded the train, listening to the sound of falling footsteps as Venam and Ren followed suit at my heels.

The train journey was uneventful, filled with filler dialogues concerning Venam's fears over what might possibly have befallen Melia. I wasn't too concerned. Melia had been raised by Professor Jenner. As such, her Pokemon knowledge and skills were second only to my own at this point of our Pokemon journey. I'd been able to best two Gym Leaders thus far. I was no slouch in the power department.

"Listen. There's no good reason why we should all sit here all depressed. This is an ordeal for us all, but we can and we will get through this together," I said encouragingly. "Right on!," Ren said loyally. Venam scowled, throwing her splayed fingers up in aggravation. "Easier said than done! If this slug-slow train does not haul grass to Route 2, I am going to unleash my Screech," Venam said viciously.

"So, do you have a plan for this mission of ours?," Ren enquired sheepishly.

Venam had only just gathered the requisite intake of air to do just what she had promised to do when Ren spoke to me. Venam slowly deflated her bated breath as she awaited my response. I arced a brow lazily, my stare pinning Ren to the metaphorical wall by the force of my willpower alone. "Does a Fearow fall to a Raichu?," I asked rhetorically. "Yeees. That would be your rhetorical question and answer," Ren answered falteringly.

I gave a short, sharp nod in response. "What plan do we even need? Find Melia, bring her back to her home, mission possible," Venam interjected sullenly. "Yeah, but it can't possibly be as simple as that. We have got to apply some Adaptability so that if anything goes wonky at any point, we do or die," Ren argued. "Preferably, we get things done and stay alive. We should also hunt down those responsible and make them pay for their attempted abduction of our friend. Take them out, once and for all. It's what Karrina would do in my place," I said vengefully. "OK, but will we even be capable of that? They're an evil organisation. We're scrub Trainers at the start of our Pokemon journey," Ren pointed out.

Venam growled deep within her throat and then she unleashed her banshee screech, which resulted within all hands covering all ears and all eyes glaring daggers in their absolute direction. "Alright, I get it. You're a Gym Leader of this region. Alto's a double-Badge victor and League challenger and I'm a single-Badge holding challenger. What makes you both think that we've got the Stone Edge for this?," Ren added. He looked justifiably unnerved in the wake of Venam's screech and this made me feel secretly awed by Venam. I would never admit it, though.

"Tales have told of child prodigies eliminating evil villains before. Let me list them all. Red and Leaf decimated Team Rocket, Gold and Lyra devastated Team Rocket, Brendan and May dismantled Team Aqua and Team Magma within their alternate timelines, Dawn and Lucas dissolved Team Galactic and - yes, Ren, what is it?," Alto reeled off, momentarily distracted by Ren's seat-bouncing and his raised left hand. "Hilda and Hilbert pummeled Team Plasma, Calem and Serena obliterated Team Flare, Elio and Selene crushed The Aether Foundation, Team Skull and Team Rainbow Rocket and their league of alternate dimension evil team leaders," Ren added, enthused.

Venam rolled her eyes. "Aaaand Victor and Victoria shut up the shops of Chairman Rose, Sordward and Shieldbert. They'd all managed to catch Legendary and Mythical Pokemon. Our teams aren't a patch upon theirs right now. We need to strengthen them further," Venam said. "We will. All of the aforementioned Trainers had been kids like us once. One, Ash Ketchum, still is a kid. An immortal one, at that, but still a kid. Our potential is just as strong as theirs. We'll only know if we try," I concluded. I raised an imaginary glass. "To never giving up! One day, we may even surpass them," I said, pouring a strength that I was brimming with into my level tone.

"Alto - a goofball one moment, then a lone wolf the next. To never giving up!," Venam seconded, raising an imaginary glass of her own and clinking it against my own imaginary glass. Ren shook his head with a smile. "You oddballs. To never giving up," Ren said happily, mimicking Venam's actions and clinking his own pretend glass against Venam's and my own glass.

My pep talk managed to raise a few snickers and cursory glances, but at least the vast majority of the passengers that we had previously irked had simmered down to a slow burn. The train reached Route 2. After an announcement stating their current location, Venam leapt up from her seat and ran to the train doors. "Venam! I know you're eager to get to Melia, but we've got to stick to -," Ren called, but Venam darted, solo, through the opening train doors.

"Well, that went well," Ren said dismally, rising to his feet. "Definitely suboptimal," I agreed. "Let's catch up to Venam before she says or does something too rash, even for her," I added. Ren nodded and then we both stuck together. We left the train, performed a lengthy reconnaissance of the route and found Venam talking to a mysterious, black-hooded figure. The figure told them that Melia had not gone to Sheridan Village, but had instead ventured down to the mines. This made Venam metaphorically lose her head and take off yet again.

Ren and I ran after her and soon found her battling a Team Xen Grunt. Once she had won the battle, Venam informed Ren and I that a Team Xen Admin was chasing after Melia. They then ventured to the Amethyst Cave Depths, where they found Melia, the Xen Admin and a Xen Admin with spiky blonde hair. He reminded me of Matt Ishida from Digimon, with that outlandish mop of his.

"What have you done with Melia Jenner?," I asked, injecting an unstoppable confidence and hostility into my challenging, authoritative tone. The Admin turned to face my team and I, a bemused grin upon his otherwise neutral face. There was a swirling vortex of whirling, circular energy that I recognised as being yet another infernal Dimensional Rift. It seemed that we were to have the dubious honour of a Dimensional Rift Pokemon battle repeat.

Ren grimaced. "Who are you, anime protagonist wannabe?," he enquired of the figure.

"If only you hadn't seen fit to interfere within Goldenwood Forest...Alto. All of this could have been prevented. I see that your cavalry has arrived here with you this go-around. For the sake of your team-mates' elucidation, I am Xen Admin Zetta," Admin Zetta said in a brittle tone. "Prevented, how? We could do without your coded rhetoric, Zetta. Tell us what you refer to!," I said, my voice rising with the steady lifting of my ire within me. "We were all too late. Melia...is dead," Admin Zetta said simply. You could have heard a pin drop within this rocky cavern.

Venam was the first to react. "NO, you sorry EXCUSE for a sad-sack LIAR! That's not true. That CAN'T be true!," Venam shouted, her response torn from her throat as if unbidden by her. "This is just a trick that you've devised and employed to get us to leave, but WE WON'T!," Venam added, as Ren placed a consoling hand upon her left shoulder. Venam jerked her shoulder free of his grip with a subtle shift upon her spot and then shook her head fiercely. Admin Zetta shook his head slowly and sadly, his expression somber as he spoke.

"If only that were so. I rushed down to the depths, brought down here by a massive crash. All that I saw upon my arrival here was a broken bridge...and a Galvantula, gnawing upon the remains of this," Zetta said, flinging Melia's satchel bag down upon the floor in front of our feet. "You expect us to believe, in all possible seriousness, that this is all that remains of Melia. I'm not going to ask you again. Where. Is Melia?," I all but snarled, trying my best to keep my burgeoning rage in check.

"Alto. Stop," Venam said hollowly, the defeat within her tone making me glance sharply at the Gym Leader. "I kn - know that bag. I would know i - it anywhere. It's Mel's. My friend's," Venam said, falling to her hands and knees before the battered and venom-drenched bag. She grabbed it and hugged it against her chest with both hands, rocking back onto her heels as she did this. Scrunching her eyes shut, Venom rocked inconsolably to and fro where she knelt, unreachable in her deep-seated grief.

Ren shook his head swiftly. "A bag does not constitute firm grounds for absolute death. You could have snatched it from Melia to use it as sullied and planted evidence, as a misdirection so that you could escape with Melia. I don't believe you one bit, Cheddar Cheese. The jig is up for you," Ren said savagely. After what seemed to have been the longest possible time, Venam opened her eyes, looked up at me and spoke.

"That bag can be no-one else's but Melia's. Professor Jenner bought it for her last year, as a birthday gift to her. Melia valued it as she had valued her very life. She would go nowhere without wearing it slung over her preferred shoulder. It has a custom Hapi embroidery upon its side. There's no mistaking it," Venam said hoarsely, "although I dearly wish otherwise." Ren's shoulders slumped where he stood.

"No...it can't be," Ren muttered coarsely. "It's all your fault, Xen, that Melia is gone! You'll pay severely, ever so dearly for this. I swear it...upon my friend Melia's restless and wandering soul," Venam snapped at Admin Zetta. "You're understandably distraught right now. Believe me, I empathise. The failure is utterly my own. She had been my main target. I'll return to HQ and accept my consequences. My punishment. This is my end as well," Admin Zetta said grimly. "Oh, no, you don't! I will be your executioner. Alto, let me take point. For Melia!," Venam yelled viciously.

Admin Zetta's remorseful expression hardened into a mask of cold indifference. His hands slipped to the Poke Balls that were clipped to his leather belt and so my own hands drew my first two Poke Balls from my own white-leather belt. "Don't misunderstand me. I will be your Reaper, Venam of Gearen City Gym," Admin Zetta said smoothly. "Bring it on, pin-cushion psychopath! Show me what you've got," Venam said with relish. She drew her first two Poke Balls from her jacket's inner-left pocket and stood ready to launch them into battle. "Venam will not face you alone. I'll battle alongside of my comrade. Go, my Pokemon team," I called, about to send my first two 'mons into battle.

Admin Zetta gave a deeply disturbing laugh that set my whole being on tremendous edge. "Oh, I'm not going to be your opponent. The Rift at my back will provide the means to your obliteration. You asked what this energy blob is? Alto can tell you that," Admin Zetta said snarkily. Without wrenching my gaze away from Admin Zetta's, I cleared my throat and spoke.

"That is a Dimensional Rift. The Pokemon within it has been warped into a more powerful version of itself. I had fought a Rift Pokemon before. It was a Gyarados of immense size and strength. But this one may contain a different Rift Pokemon," I explained, somewhat patiently. Admin Zetta aimed finger guns at me, shook them a few times in the fashion of taking shots at me, then blew upon the tops of his pointer-fingers. He pretended to holster the pretend guns as he nodded.

"Exactly! It's a Dimensional Rift, of the gargantuan Galvantula that I'd mentioned earlier. Let it further gnaw upon the three of you!," Admin Zetta said, with a derision that emanated with a caustic, palpable bite. "Follow me to my grave, if you please. Galvantula, have at them. Eat your fill, you've earned it," Admin Zetta continued ominously. Ren, Venam and I tried to fight the pull of the Rift, but it proved beyond our internal strength and we were vacuumed into the Rift. After a feeling of extreme queasiness, we were deposited, upon our feet, within The Rift.

The air itself was crimson red. The trees that surrounded us brought no consolation. They were the same cherry blossom trees that were a staple of the forest itself, but they looked unnatural. Their new locale had nothing upon the bleakness of Venam's current mood. "It's all so ducking hopeless. Melia had been dead long before we'd set foot within that damn cave. So what. Is. The POINT?," Venam snapped. "What's the point, you ask? I'll tell you. We're the point. Us. Me. Alto. Without us to run defence, all worlds will be dominated by Xen. Run by Team Xen. Run by that trash heap of Garbodor, Zetta. Is that what you want, Venam?," Ren replied gravely.

All of the bluster seemed to drain out of Venam at once as she considered Ren's response. I decided to chip in my own two cents, for whatever they were worth. "Ren's right. If we roll over and let Team Xen kick us to oblivion while we are down, we would only lower ourselves to their level. We're not them. We're so much better than them and we cannot let them defeat us. To never giving up, right? Let's bounce back from this setback and knock their villainous behinds down like ten-pins. It's not over. It'll never be over. Not until we rain Hell, high water and everything else in between those things and extremes down upon their skulls," I pitched in rebelliously. It wasn't in me to concede nor admit defeat.

I could see that I'd given Venam alot to consider. I waited, with bated breath, as Venam slowly adapted to the taste of my response, then steadily digested my response as though it were the treasured last half of a hand-rolled sushi roll.

Finally, Venam spoke. "That's fine and all, but...I don't care anymore," Venam answered in a monotone. "That's it, then? You'll stay here and let this place kill you? Venam, it will grant your death wish, but it won't give you a swift and worthy of you death. It will wear you down gradually until you'll have nothing left to give to it but the last remaining shred of your humanity, of your sanity. Melia wouldn't want that for you. She would want you to carry on," Ren said curtly.

"How dare you even PRESUME that YOU would even KNOW what Mel would have WANTED for me? My friend is DEAD. Kaput. No longer of this or any other world," Venam replied cuttingly. "You're just going to let her killer go unpunished, then? Just go on living while Melia cannot?," Ren posited. "WHAT!?," Venam shrieked, glaring absolute daggers and all at Ren. 

"While we sit here," I interjected, trying to defuse the heavy tension, "Zetta is strolling out of Amethyst Cave, scot-free, with no-one to oppose him. Shouldering no regret at all. He's walking away." Venam seemed to be visibly regathering the very last vestiges of her composure and banishing the very last of her gloom and melancholy. 

"You're both right. I - I've been such a self-centred idiot. I can't give up here. I want my revenge. Melia's revenge. I want to be the one to extract the fullest measure of retribution and repayment from Zetta. He put Mel into the crossfire and he must PAY!," Venam shouted. She then winced and rubbed soothingly and carefully at her throat, having singed it with her earlier yelling. "You'll recover, trailblazer. Now let's go, while the going is great," Ren said sensibly. "Absolutely. I'd rather that we all not die here. Not at all. We have a job to do. A mission to accomplish to the letter. Extraction to get to. Melia and I encountered a Rift earlier. It had been my ticket out of itself. It'll be no different here," I contributed.

"How exactly are we to escape this sorry place?," Ren asked. "Simple. We defeat the Rift Pokemon that's a part of it. In this instance, the Rift  Galvantula. It's unavoidable and cruel...that Galvantula had no part in this. I refuse to believe that it had. I refuse to believe Zetta, full stop," I answered. "It's as much to blame for Melia's demise as Zetta had been," Venam said stubbornly, "and as such, it deserves to share his fate." Ren sighed. "It's just a wild Pokemon. It probably sought to protect its progeny from Melia. It has that right, Venam," Ren replied.

"Cool evildoer defence, bro. Whose side are you on, anyway? Ours or Xen's? Because as far as I am concerned, it's a Xen Galvantula," Venam said loftily. Ren appeared truly taken-aback by Venam's character questioning. "Ours. It has no-one to spring to its defence. I guess we have no other option. It;'s Galvantula or us and I choose our team," Ren replied grouchily.

They ventured North and soon stopped not far away from a giant-sized pink egg. The egg was surrounded by black-furred Joltik with magenta, unblinking and beady eyes. Their legs were tipped with magenta and they were miniature in size, but they more than made up for their lack of intimidation with their focused, glossy stare.

"Rift Galvantula is in that egg. We have to hatch it somehow. A single knock should do it," I said. Approaching the egg with the utmost of deep wariness and foreboding, I knocked once upon the egg, then hurried back to stand in front of my team-mates. The egg cracked, then split open completely. The massive Rift Galvantula that I had been envisioning within my mind up until now emerged from its egg. My approximation of its size had not even scratched a dent within the reality of it, especially up-close and deeply personal. It was an absolute behemoth.

Venam spoke first. "D - do normal Galvantula grow freaky, scorpion-like tails?," she asked, her voice quavering as she spoke. "No, they certainly don't. I'll take point again because I've experience with Rift 'mons. Stay where you are and give me secondary cover. Ren, be my doubles partner. Let's defeat these obstacles and be gone from here!," I commanded bravely. Ren nodded and then we flung out our Pokemon. The battle began with my Level 22 Brionne and Ren's Level 22 Frogadier. Our opponents were a Level 17 and 18 Joltik duo. Round one began in earnest.

"Brionne, Disarming Voice!," I commanded, betting the metaphorical kit and kaboodle that these Pokemon were twisted Dark types. Ren followed my lead. "Frogadier, Water Pulse, NOW!," Ren commanded instantly. Frogadier and Brionne burst into action. Frogadier's Water Pulse blasted the left-hand Joltik into a watery oblivion, while Brionne's Disarming Voice dealt a hefty ammount of damage to the other Joltik, taking its health down to yellow range. Three quarters of its health, gone in a singular turn of battle. I cracked a broad and brilliant grin, proud of my Brionne.

Ren glanced at me, noticed my good cheer and gave a brief smile of his own, which he let drop fairly quickly. "Battle's ongoing, my friend. Keep upon the attack. Don't get too cocky," Ren advised. "Brionne, Disarming Voice as needed! Marvelous work," I called to my dual type Pokemon. She barked in response and continually blasted the Level 20 Joltik that had joined the fray, as well as the already-damaged Joltik. "You got it, Lieutenant Ren. You sure you weren't named for Kylo Ren?," I enquired of Ren, in an aside that I had intended to lighten the atmosphere and the pressurised mood.

"Icy Wind, Frogadier!," Ren bellowed at his water frog. Frogadier complied as I recalled Brionne and sent out my Level 22 Geodude. "Smack Down!," I demanded. My Geodude performed one of its more powerful moves and the damaged Joltik fainted.

Ren's Icy Wind dealt alot of damage to the other Joltik as the main attraction, the Rift Galvantula, skittered forward to battle us upon its own turf. "It's time for you to send us to our homes! Geodude, Smack it Down until it's out for the count," I commanded with certainty. Geodude gave a roar of approval and then it surged toward the pink and purple, scorpion-esque Rift Galvantula. The monstrous Pokemon took the hit, which broke its shield, but otherwise did no damage to it. The sneaky critter then Mega Evolved and Sucker Punch-ed my Geodude until it fainted.

Recalling my Geodude as the secondary Joltik took Frogadier out with Electroweb attacks, I sent out my shiny Level 20 Litleo. Two shield removals later and the Galvantula took down my Litleo and Ren's Corvisquire with Electrowebs, necessitating my switch-in of my Feebas and Ren's swap-in of his Cacnea. I started to wonder if Venam would have been a better double type match to have gone with, but I set my jaw and carried on. "Feebas, Dazzling Gleam!," I ordered boldly.

"Faint Attack, Cacnea," Ren commanded. Our attacks dealt more damage to Rift Galvantula, but it was chip damage. The Rift Galvantula took down our Pokemon with Cross Poison attacks, moving with an almost blinding speed.

I scowled and then slung out my Level 22 Streamline, my shiny Fletchinder. Ren cursed and sent out his Level 23 Growlithe. "Streamline, Ember attack!," I called forcibly. "Growlithe, Bite," Ren ordered immediately. Streamline's Ember hit for decent damage and inflicted Burn status upon the irritating tarantula Pokemon. Ren's Bite dealt decent damage, sending it into the red. "Quick Attack, Stream!," I drawled to my Fire/Flying bird. Streamline squawked in response and performed those actions and attacks, moving like liquid quicksilver across the field.

The Galvantula landed a two-hit Sucker Punch - I KNEW that it was cheating, Sucker Punch was ordinarily a one hit strike - before Streamline could get to it, but Ren's Growlithe ended the battle with a Flame Burst that consigned that oversized spider into an early grave. The egg and its spiders disappeared and we recalled our Pokemon.

"Did we do the thing?," Ren asked, "and about my name, that's for me to know...and you to maaaybe find out in future. If I want for you to find that out." Venam rolled her eyes with a theatrical sigh. "If you two are quite finished," she said grimly, "we'd best get out of here." The Rift inexorably Hoovered us all back into its roiling depths and we found ourselves back in Amethyst Cave Depths. "How extraordinarily perplexing. We're back home...ish," I said, amazed by our greatest escape to date.

Venam's gaze was focused upon the dwindling Rift. "Zetta! He's escaped. Damn it all, we're too late," Venam said gloomily. "I wouldn't make assumptions if I were you. Alto, if you would kindly step aside?," Admin Zetta said, speaking from some point behind Ren, Venam and I. My jaw clenched as I grudgingly stepped aside for the man to pass me, I turned as my team-mates did and watched Admin Zetta bolt forward, then get propelled forward by some jettisoning force. He landed face-down upon the ground and lay there, immobile, as the same Gothitelle from Jenner's laboratory and a young woman whom I presumed had to be her owner materialised swiftly at Admin Zetta's feet, standing before us all.

"Excellent! You've all emerged relatively unscathed from the Rift. Far faster than I had expected for you to have escaped its grip, too," The Woman said evenly. "Just grand. Now who is this person?," Venam grumbled. "I remain within the shadows," The Woman said mysteriously, "and strike when need be. Those who are unfortunate enough to make contact with me known me...as Crescent," The Woman said enigmatically. "Wait a minute. That Gothitelle, that voice. You're the voice that Alto and I had heard back at Jenner's lab!," Ren called to Crescent.

Crescent smiled a thin smile that was void of all emotion. "That had, indeed, been me. To see the three of you here is disappointing to me. It's ignorance when perfectly good advice is not adhered to. Especially when said advice was meant...to protect a certain individual," Crescent added maliciously. Admin Zetta slowly regained his footing, swaying unsteadily as he clambered to his feet. "Argh, this is not my day. Idiots plague me from all corners, Trainer scrubs manage to get the best of my Rift spiders. It's. Not. Fair," Admin Zetta hissed. "Zetta, you repulsive animal. Must you never contribute anything of substance to any given conversation?," Crescent said unfeelingly. Admin Zetta was silent.

"Good, stay quiet. You will now learn that animals that can't behave cannot remain in public. You will be placed into a place where you'll be unable to wreak any harm at all. Gothitelle, if you would?," Crescent said malevolently. Her Gothitelle, with its strange pink and black colouration, prepared to do Crescent's bidding. "Wait, what are you doing? No. NOOOO!," Admin Zetta wailed, as he popped out of sight, transported via magic to only Crescent knew where.

"Where did you send him?," I asked, as peaceably as I could, given the circumstances and my rising horror. "Somewhere inconsequential. He will be dealt with later. I warned you two that this path would lead to ruin and despair. Yet you ignored my warning and continued upon this pointless endeavour," Crescent said sternly. "We didn't ignore your words on purpose! We just had to rescue our friend - we had to do something worthwhile," Ren replied. "What Ren said," I added, Venam nodded.

Crescent expelled a rapid, weary and heavy sigh. "And what exactly, pray tell, did that achieve? What did that bring?," Crescent demanded icily. We all said nothing.

"Exactly. You've endangered your own lives for a girl that was killed far before you could even have a chance to save her life," Crescent said. Her tone of snide superiourity made Ren and I bristle and made Venam remain silent.

"You three were waaaay over your heads. All that you'd set yourselves up for had been failure. Alto...no, all three of you. Return to East Gearen City and stay there," Crescent continued. "Involving yourselves within the affairs of things that don't pertain to you will result in nothing less than tragedy. You'll find ample proof of that within these last few events. Remember that this has been the price of your being weak," Crescent concluded.

The Gothitelle and its master disappeared with the sound of water whirling down a drain. "Let's go back home," I said wearily, not wanting to think too much about the ghoulish Gothitelle and its supercilious master. Mistress, was it not? I couldn't find it within me to much care about proper title designation.

We all returned to East Gearen City, as per Crescent's request. Venam gave us temporary accommodation within her home and we took her up upon her offer. For the past several days, Ren and Venam had been silent. I found myself opening my mouth to say something, to say anything, but it was to no avail. A sudden and sharp look from Ren and Venam made me slowly close my mouth.

I gazed out over the Oceana Ward's left-hand pier after a walk one of those days and Ren was the one to find me here.

"So this is where you'd gotten to, Alto. Venam's finally leaving her house. I don't think that's a good thing, but she's acting like nothing at all has happened. Which isn't healthy, really. I hadn't known Melia for too long, but I noticed something straight away," Ren said conversationally, striding forward to stand by my left shoulder. I hadn't been consulted as to whether or not I would have liked his company, but in the grand scheme of things, I supposed that it mattered little.

"You and Melia clicked almost immediately. It was spooky, as if you'd both known each other for years. It's OK to be sad. It's fine to not be sad. People handle grief differently, as I'd been told as a child," Ren continued.

Although I really didn't know where Ren was going to with this meandering conversation, I allowed him to get to his point eventually.

"Several days have elapsed. I'm done crying. I won't forget Melia and I want to fight for her. I will extract unspeakable pain from Team Xen as payback for what had been done to her. What they had done to her should never have been done to her," Ren said pointedly, finally getting to the tail end of his point. "If I stay here in Gearen City, I won't grow any stronger. If I can't get stronger, I can't avenge Melia. So...I'm leaving Gearen City," Ren said solemnly. "Where will you go? You will be missed," I said, speaking from my heart. Ren has been a good friend to me.

Ren pressed his lips into a thin line. "I'm going back home to finish what I had started. And once I get strong enough, Team Xen will stand not even a sliver of a chance against me. I am going to annihilate them all. I don't think that you should stay here, either," Ren confessed. "And why do you think that?," I asked lightly. "Team Xen kidnapped your mother, attacked you, left you to potentially drown and killed a friend of ours. You need to get stronger also. Complete the Gym Challenge," Ren said firmly.

"Where do I go next?," I asked at once. "Heh. Eager to get there? I'm unsurprised. The next Gym that you should tackle is Sheridan Village's Gym. You can get there by a run-through of Amethyst Cave. It's a nice and peaceful place. I've passed through it a few times. It'll be a clear your head place for you, Alto. You'll able to Purify your Shadow Pokemon once there," Ren said.

"It's a place of purity and tranquility, yes?," I enquired tonelessly. Ren blinked, surprised by my correct guess. "It is. How did you know that?," Ren asked gently. I shrugged. "You made it sound just like it would have been that kind of Zen space," I answered honestly. It sounded like an 'Oooooooom' haven.

Ren chuckled and then he turned as though to leave. "Well, I guess I'll be on my way, then. Good luck out there, Alto. We're pulling for you," Ren said earnestly, giving my left shoulder a tight squeeze before he walked off along the pier. "Bye, Ren. Thanks and likewise. I hope to see you sometime soon," I called to my friend. Ren lifted his left hand in an airy wave of farewell and then left it there for a moment before he lowered it back to his left side. "Likewise, mate. Cheers," Ren called back over his left shoulder. He then faded into the middle distance, moving further away.

I decided to first go and pay a certain mobster a visit. "Hit girl better have my mission," I murmured, setting off to visit Karrina.

Why anyone would choose to build their home near the Abandoned Sewers, I thought distastefully, I will never know. Upon entering the house that I had first seen Karrina stand in front of, I was met by the sight of a black and gold entrance carpet and a staircase that I hoped did not lead to literal Hell, or to Karrina's best approximation of it. "Here goes perhaps nothing," I grumbled.

I descended the silver staircase.

*********************************************************************************************

"The abandoned factory. I can't remember ever having seen this place's interiour," Ren said pensively. Judging by its exteriour, Arpeggio had to admit that the glass and steel facade looked innocuous enough, but the maniacal laughter from within it dispelled that image right proper. He led the way, sweeping past Karrina in order to try to assert his dominance of the situation.

Once within the factory, Arpeggio turned to face his comrades. Immediately rewarded with a look of extreme disgruntlement from Karrina, who seemed to clearly detest having to take her cue from a 'green' kid, Arpeggio beamed at Karrina, who merely rolled her eyes in response. This elicited a small, amused chuckle from Ren.

Karrina whipped her gaze toward Ren, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Ren returned her look with one of undaunted innocence. Karrina heaved a protracted sigh and then returned her gaze to Arpeggio. "Let's get one thing stick-straight, Fearless Leadfoot. We're here to trounce some Admin, not go in guns blazing and turn it all to rack and ruin. Get it? Got it? Superb," Karrina snapped, getting into Arpeggio's face as she ground this out.

"Got it, Gangster Gwen Stacy. Now let's Rollout while the rolling's good," Arpeggio said, in a level tone. He held Karrina's gaze until she was the first to look away. Striding forward over the neon tiles effortlessly and elegantly, Arpeggio made his way toward the maniacal laughter that ricocheted off the walls around them. Whatever this place had been, it was clear that it had been repurposed recently. The ragtag remnants of machines littered the periphery of the eerie vicinity.

Venam stood within the room's centre, her back facing away from Arpeggio and company. "Hey, Oh Venomous One. What in tarnation are you doing, messing about here solo? You could have trusted us to have your back," Arpeggio called. Venam spun to face him, an expression of bemusement upon her face which served to temper her surprise. "Arpeggio! Your name is quite the tongue-twister. I'm going to call you Gio from here on out. You will dig it," Venam said decisively.

Before Arpeggio could chip in with an "I couldn't more highly doubt that," Karrina sprinted forward and hurled herself at Venam in a bearhug which stole Venm's breath completely. "Venam, you minx and miscreant! I was so worried about you. How could you dart ahead like that? You KNOW that where you go, we all go. Don't do that again," Karrina howled, drawing back as a mortified Venam awkwardly patted her repeatedly between her shoulder-blades.

Arpeggio started to speak, but a full-bodied alarm's banshee shriek interrupted him at full blast.

"Might I suggest that we leave admonishments for after the Admin's defeat? Let's GO!," Arpeggio ordered. Everyone fell into line as the group ventured ever deeper into the factory. They soon encountered a purple-haired man who stood before a creepy machine. Connected to the machine was a massive Musharna. An abundance of flowers wreathed the arch of the machine that held it. Whether or not its current accommodations suited it was yet to be determined. 

"You there, Admin Atrocious! What do you think you're doing to that poor Musharna?," Venam yowled, ignoring the look of censure that Karrina flung her way. "XeN AdMiN? WeLp, nO MaTteR, yOu HaVe SeEn tOo MuCh!," Purple Hair said, momentarily flummoxed. He recovered remarkably well and with an admirable swiftness as he continued to speak. "I gUeSs I'LL hAvE tO tEsT oUt My ExPeRiMeNt oN aLl oF yOu. YiPpeE kI yAyzA!," Purple Hair added, unfazed.

Venam looked positively monopolised by monotony. "You'd skipped out when they'd been handing out intelligence, hadn't you. Figures. You still haven't answered my question, though, Dr. Imbecile. Answer me!," Venam snarled. She was in no mood for games and Arpeggio was of that same mind. They weren't here to make nice. They were here to shut this Admin and this place, preferably, down with him. Purple Hair glared at Venam, his tension-locked body supremely inconducive to her high level of malevolence. "

"Arpeggio, defeat this man and you can roll with my Gang. Save Musharna and it'll be a done deal," Karrina said hotly, clenching her fists as she stood at tense attention beside Arpeggio. "We wIlL sEe aBoUt ThAt, yOu pIlFeRiNg pAcK rAtS! MuShArNa, Go," Purple Hair hissed rebelliously. He sent forth his Munnas. Partnering with Ren to take down Purple Hair and his monstrous Musharna, Arpeggio sent out his Level 21 Buizel and the battle was on.

With clear sightlines to both of Purple Hair's Level 16 and Level 17 Munnas, Arpeggio feared not this stingless fight.

"Buizel, Pursuit! Take that left-hand Munna down," Arpeggio commanded, as Ren yelled to his Pokemon. "Frogadier, Water Pulse that right-hand Munna. You've got this!." Their combined attacks swept the left-hand Munna into the oblivion of unonsciousness, necessitating Purple Hair's switch-out of the fainted Munna and his switch-in of his Musharna.

The Musharna immediately Mega Evolved thanks to Purple Hair's Mega Ring - Arpeggio called hax - and then it used a Mist Ball, which hit for major damage. A final Level Munna stood no chance when Arpeggio switched out Buizel. Sending out his Padfoot, Arpeggio brought the battle to its inevitable close. "Padfoot, Snarl!," Arpeggio shouted. His Padfoot snarled at Musharna and Munna and dealt damage while dropping their Special Attack stat. Ren's Water Pulse finished them off.

"RuH-oH, I aM AlL kInDs oF rOaStEd tOaSt! MaAm wIlL dEcImAtE mE eGrEgIoUsLy," Purple Hair whined. He recalled his Pokemon, leaving the disgruntled Musharna to bellow its indignation. "Moo SHAR nuh!," Musharna grumbled, filled with incandescent wrath. "That Musharna is angry with us? How Farfetch'd!," Karrina opined. Arpeggio rolled his eyes with a drawn out sigh. 

"You've had your fun. We've saved Musharna from pain, so relinquish it into our trust and care," Arpeggio said to Purple Hair, who merely scoffed in response. "OF cOurSe I WiLl NoT! DoN't bE sO CeRtAiN. My mAcHiNe MoDiFiCaTiOnS hAve WrOuGhT a SyMbIoTiC eFfEcT uPoN tHiS sUbJeCt. HuEheUhEhUeHeUhEhUe!," Purple Hair sneered.

Karrina folded her arms, rolled her eyes and then spoke. "Man's nuttier by far than ten million boxes of nuts and bolts. This man's not helping Pokemon, he is harming them! He wouldn't be experimenting upon them otherwise," she advised. Purple Hair nodded and grinned. "YeS, gIVe ThAt wOmAn a PrIzE! AlL ScIeNtIsTs gEt PrOfIlEd aS a GrOup, bUt YoU hAvE aLl pAsSeD mY tEsT. ToP mArKs aLl aRoUnD! Oh, jOy," Purple Hair replied. After a moment had passed, Purple Hair spoke.

"YoU gUyS aRe RaDiCaLlY cOol mCGhOuL! CoMe BaCk aNyTiMe fOr SnAcKs aNd DrInKs," Purple Hair concluded.

Arpeggio gave his best approximation of an appreciative smile. "Er, thanks, we're good for now. We'll just leave. Bye, Geek McGeekface. We'll probably not be seeing you. Laters!," Arpeggio said. With a pointed look at his team, Arpeggio turned and took swift strides out of the factory. "ByE, I aM Dr. JeNkEl!," Purple Hair called. Arpeggio was relieved to hear the answering footfalls of Ren, Karrina and Venam as he emerged into the clear skies of Gearen City, Aevium Region.

"That was more of a bust than I'd initially hoped that it would not be. A false alarm for the ages. We could have been on our way to Sheridan to check upon Melia," Arpeggio said, the moment that he had been joined by his cohort.

Venam nodded, her teeth clenched as she did so. Unclenching her jaw, the Poison Leader spoke with quiet menace. "Gio's right. Waaaaait...what's that, now? Melia's in Sheridan? Explain," Venam snapped. "We'll explain it on our way to the station. Move your Grass, Venam! Time's a-wasting," Ren said.

The group then made their way to the East Gearen Train Station, leaving Karrina and Arpeggio at the Factory entrance. "Well, shucks. This didn't turn out as expected, but whatevs, Trevs. Take this, it's the very least that I can do," Karrina said, handing Arpeggio a TM94 Rock Smash.

Placing the TM94 within the Key Items pocket of his backpack, Arpeggio spoke. "Thanks, Karrina. I'll need to get going now. Got to hustle on through to meet Ren and Ven at the Station," Arpeggio said. Karrina nodded empathetically. "Right on. Good luck with saving Melia. And when all that's said and done, do visit me at my tricked-up crib. I have a mission for you, Gio-dude. Hah! Catch you on the flip-side," Karrina said. She then turned and made haste back to her place.

"Gio...actually, as nicknames go, I don't hate Gio-dude. It's better than Giovanni, at any rate," Arpeggio muttered to himself, even as he began to venture away from the factory. Given the choice, he would much rather go and receive his mission details from Karrina, but first, he had a Melia to track down and bring back.

Arpeggio met Ren and Venam upon the train station platform and they boarded the train to Route 2.

(A/N: EDITED. Alot to see and read here right now. Knock yourself out.)

Upload Schedule:

Three current works upon this site necessitates a lot of time spent writing and editing, switch-ups of dialogue and so on. I will Endeavour to upload new creative content here with regularity. I'll try to not let too much time pass during uploads. I play each game as I write my take upon their story and scenes. This can be a blessing and a curse at times as I multitask between gameplay and writing.

There exists this pesky little thing called muse. It strikes when it strikes and as soon as it does, it must be acted-upon.

We all also have a life to live in the meantime and so that compounds matters all the more, but we all do what we can, as best as we can, when and where we can.

Reviews:

I cannot stress the fact more that reviews are key. I'm not trying to be salty or a gaslighter, but reviews are what make our content here well worth the effort and dedication of writing and uploading them here. In my honest opinion, leaving a critique or even just dropping a "Hi, I like your content" does and would go a long way to pay it forward to your fellow, hardworking writer/content creator.

I can lead a metaphorical horse to water, but I can't make it drink. It's up to you to review if and when you're moved to do so.

Writing without reviews feels more like journaling to me. It is isolating and frustrating at times, but it is ultimately worth doing to chronicle your thoughts, feelings and take upon these games.

story continuation

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Three: Alto and Outro

I visited Karrina as per her request, marveling at her surroundings sproadically. The black and gold decor was a great thematical touch to the mobster's main room and Alto could appreciate the many bookcases that were in plentiful supply here. "Alto! A woman after my own heart, it seems. It gladdens my heart to see that we have such a fine and mighty Trainer upon our side," Karrina said earnestly. "Thank you for your invitation. So, if I may ask, what has brought about my induction into your organisation?," I enquired, politely but with backbone. 

"A straight-shooter, to boot? I like that. To not put too stark a point upon it, I require your assistance," Karrina replied. "Can you please elaborate?," I requested, speaking with as much brevity as I could. "Certainly. There is going to be a gang fight tonight between my gang and a rival gang. Ever since their arrival here a few years back, that gang has been causing no end of trouble. We aim to put a stop to them. Are you in?," Karrina answered. 

"I'm in, but why ask me to help you? Are there not others who may be just as qualified as I am?," I asked, with feeling. "Go figure, but the city holds no love for my gang and I," Karrina replied loftily. "And why do you think that is?," I asked seriously.

Karrina scraped her fingers through her vibrant auburn hair and shook her head in exasperation. "I have no idea! We're only trying to help the citizens of this city! There are few others of your caliber that I feel that I can ask. Please meet us at Amethyst Cave, post-haste. Ta-ta!," she said pleasantly. Lowering her hands to her sides, Karrina awarded me a curt yet professional nod and then strode briskly out of her office. Reminded ever so strongly of Venam, I took a quick look around Karrina's office, then made my own exit of it. After exiting the gang HQ, I put paid to a couple of loose-end sidequests, then made my way to the East Gearen train station.

A train ride later and I stood at Route 2's entrance, looking down the metaphorical barrel of yet another Trainer gauntlet. Steeling myself in preparation, both mental and physical, I set off at a brisk pace. Upon reaching the entrance to Amethyst Cave, I experienced a flashback of my previous experience within it. With an involuntary shudder, I met up with Karrina and her gang a little ways within the cave.

A battle against Technician Edward later and I re-encountered the same enigmatic Xen Grunt who had delivered the Melia death-sentence pronouncement earlier. He didn't seem at all surprised to see me back within Amethyst Cave. This immediately struck me as suspicious. His casual address of me ratcheted my suspicion up a further seven notches. "I see that you failed to heed my earlier warning," Enigmatic Grunt said. "You'll find that I'd done the exact opposite. Why do you still see fit to be a human barricade?," I responded in my turn.

The hooded figure ignored me. "You'll soon find this to be a hopeless endeavour indeed. Now that you've experienced the pain of losing someone, I assure you that pain will forever remain a part of you," Enigmatic Grunt continued, speaking as though I hadn't spoken at all. Without further ado, Enigmatic Grunt turned and made a beeline toward open doorway that was just behind him. "What is this, Riddle a Minute Day? You know that I'll just follow you to see what you're up to," I said, doing just that as I spoke. My trip through the open doorway revealed two Trainers, train tracks jutting up from a portion of the cave floor and a secondary doorway.

Dashing through the snow secondary doorway. I encountered a black haired girl who immediately took my photograph. Blinking the bright white spots that were dancing before my eyes, I listened to the young woman speak. "Say cheese! Oh, wait, I was meant to say that prior to my snapshot. Oh, well, you're in my memory bank now," Snapshot said impishly. "I'll say," I said, but the young woman spoke over me.

"You've been randomly selected! Congratulations, you are now a Fun Games competitor. Your grand prize? Entrance to Sheridan Village. Let us begin," Snapshot said, enthused. I was warped to some weirdo dimension, where I was urged to play three consecutive games.

Having correctly guessed which of three rocks held a purple pebble (the central one) and which of the three trees was a fake (the third one), I won my way through to Game 3, a battle with Snapshot herself. "You should know something before we battle. I've been watching you for some time now," Snapshot said.

"Uh, why would you a) admit that, b) watch me in the first place and c) think that would not creep me out?," I enquired, a little more harshly than I'd intended to ask. Again, Snapshot acted as though I hadn't spoken. This was starting to become a theme with her.

"I watched you during your Venam battle. No-one took any notice of me! I wanted to talk to you then, but I just couldn't. It takes so much focus for me to be physically present. But I digress! My name's Nim. I'm a wanderer with a metric truck-tonne of spirit. Nice to meet ya," Nim said spiritedly. I opened my mouth to speak, but she spoke first. "Oh, we're sooooo going to be besties, just you wait and see!," Nim said exuberantly. The battle began. Nim sent out her first Pokemon, a Level 16 Darumaka and a Level 16 Inkay.

I sent out my Level 23 Padfoot and my Level 20 Feebas. "Brine, Feebas! Take that Darumaka down," I commanded of my shiny fish. "Padfoot, Bite that Inkay until it's down for the count!," I commanded my Mightyena. Both performed their attacks admirably and took down both of their opponents. Nim recalled her fainted Pokemon and sent out her Level 18 Solrock and Level 18 Lunatone. Padfoot Bit down upon his opponents, backed up by my spectacular Hermione, whom I switched my Feebas out for and the battle tide was turned in my favour. I won the battle. We both recalled our fainted Pokemon.

"Oh, my Lords Helix and Arceus! You are the Fun Games victor. Congratulations, you phenom," Nim yelled, completely losing what little composure she seemed to have as she leapt up and down upon the dimension floor. She handed over her prize money. "OK, calm your farm, Nim. Thanks. Good battle," I replied, not sure how to take my new superfan's pinnacle of zeal.

"You're top notch, you know that!? From the very moment that I witnessed your defeat of Venam, I knew, I just knew that Fate had tied us together with many strings! So. Freaking. COOL," Nim continued, utterly unabashed. "Thank you, but can I leave now? I've got a gang war to end," I said lightly. Nim pretended to think about my request for a moment, but then she shook her head. Her brows furrowed more than slightly as she spoke. "Sorry. There's just one more game remaining to be played. Answer this question with the truth. With your truth. The question is: Did I cheer you up?," Nim concluded. I emamined my current emotional state.

The answer that was clear and true to me was yes. "Nim, you did cheer me up. Thank you for that," I answered diplomatically. Nim stopped bouncing upon her heels, lowering herself slowly to the floor with an ear to ear grin. "Yes! Exactly the answer that I'd hoped for. I'd wanted our first impression to be a great one. That way, you wouldn't easily forget me!," Nim said contentedly. I smiled back at Nim.

She invited me to chill with her, so I approached her and stood by her right side, just far enough apart from her that she didn't feel crowded. "Say, that Ren guy gave you this humungo grief speech, but I thought to take the opposite approach. I spread happiness to brighten the dark of that," Nim said gently.

I blinked, betraying my shock and to mitigate the shock that she had given to me, Nim made an additional confession. "My apologies for the shock. I'd also watched as you fought Zetta, Alto. I'd wanted to help, but...no matter how much I tried to assist you, I just couldn't," Nim confessed. "Your attempt is noted and appreciated. Try not to beat yourself up about it. What had been done is now past," I said consolingly. Nim looked off to one side with a beatific smile, a llok of gratitude washing over her face before she schooled it into a mask of neutrality.

"Anyway, after you'd been swept into the Rift, I watched Zetta toss Melia's bag off the side of the cliff. I delved into the depths in search of it and...I found it. Completely water-logged, it was, but otherwise intact. I was able to retrieve this," Nim said. She handed me a Room ID Card, which I tucked away into the Key Items pocket of my Bag. "There wasn't anything else around. If I missed anything, I apologise," Nim said regretfully. I sought to reassure Nim. "That's quite alright, Nim. I'm thankful that you'd managed to retrieve this. Thanks for gifting it to me," I said appreciatively. "Awww, Alto, you sweet-talker, you! But seriously, this horror-filled world is the pits," Nim replied.

I frowned. "What gives you that impression of the world?," I asked. Nim shrugged a shrug that was meant to cast off her cares. Her cares stubbornly refused to budge from her shoulders. "I'd been traveling, for awhile, with someone. Eventually, we'd had to part. But if you don't remain weird and zany, this world would get sooooo unbearably boring, you get me?," Nim said cheerfully. I nodded and she continued. "There's just so much out there. Blink and you'll forever miss it all. I want for you to continue, Alto. Keep at it with your head held high!," Nim said.

"I will," I replied, surprising even myself with the ringing endorsement of humility and of sincerity within my level tone. Nim nodded as if I'd restored her faith within the world. "Excellent! Sorry for dragging you out here. I'd just wanted a chat with you. So, I'm going to send you back now. I believe in you! Bye now," Nim said, in a slightly-regretful tone of voice. Before Nim did this, though, she spoke.

"Don't you go and forget your bestie now - me! Nim. Now go forth and conquer all!," Nim called. A blindingly-bright white light enveloped the dimension and I vanished. I reappeared within the Cave alone. Nim's parting words echoed throughout my mind. "I'll always be watching, never forget that! I'm your personal guardian angel of sorts." The way to Sheridan Village, at the top of the steps before me, lay unbarred.

Now, however, was not the time for me to venture that. I backtracked back to where Karrina lay in wait for me. She appeared to have jarred her ankle, though to what degree, I did not yet know. "Oh, don't mind me, I just slipped off the side of this cliff while I was battling. Finish off their leader for me, pretty please?," Karrina said snidely. There was more than a bit of predatory bite within her tone, but I attributed that more to her current state of pain than anything else.

Steeping onto the raised plateau, I battled the Motorcyclist in front of Karrina. "You wish to battle me? I'll crush you into pulverised nanoparticles, Karrina's stand-in," The Motorcyclist said, in the tone of a genuine threat. He sent out his Level 21 Cufant and I sent out my Level 23 shiny Talonflame, Ventilate. "Don't take Gang Member Charly lightly, Alto. He did defeat me. With that being said, show him what for, talent galore!," Karrina called to me.

Charly's eyes lit up even as his brows narrowed over them, sizing me up upon the spot. "Alto, huh? I'll remember your name. Cufant, Rollout twice!," Charly called. His Cufant performed two consecutive Rollouts, which took Ventilate down to red health points.

"Great job, Ventilate, return! Go, Feebas," I called to my wounded bird, zapping him back into his capsule. I sent Feebas into battle and commanded it to use Brine over two turns. The burn that Ventilate had inflicted, in addition to the Water attacks, sent Cufant plummeting to the floor in a faint. "Noooooo, Cufant! You'll pay for that. Vigoroth, shut that fish down for good!," Charly called. I smirked. "Too late for that jazz. Padfoot, get 'em, boy," I yelled, calling Feebas back and sending out my Mightyena.

"Bite, then Snarl for good measure!," I commanded haughtily. Padfoot barked, bristling with canine hostility as he obeyed my commands. Vigoroth chittered with pain as Padfoot's combined attacks brought it down to yellow health points. "It's almost downed completely! Bite attack," I commanded and my will was carried out to the hilt.

Vigoroth screeched with agony as it crashed to the cavern floor, but it ultimately succumbed to its injuries. It fainted. Charly recalled it, then sent in his Level 21 Mankey. He had it annoyingly spam Seismic Toss attacks, but I took it down with my Dustox's, Hermione's, Gust attacks. "Dang it! Take your money and scram!," Charly said fiercely.

Handing over his battle cash with a scowl, Charly eyed me for several intense and intimidating beats before he turned away. Striding angrily up to his motorcycle, Charly mounted his bike with a sneer. "No slouch in the battle department, you are. Fine, have it your way, then," Charly said gravely.

"What is that supposed to mean?," I asked Charly, before he could ride off. "It means this: You have made me reevaluate my life of crime. We'll stop, my gang and I. Retreat!," Charly snarled. He hit the gas and I nimbly leapt aside, left in Charly's metaphorical dust as he led his gang out of the cave. Karrina limped toward me. "Considerably well done, Alto. You've disbanded that bandit gang and left our gang as top of the heap! Please, take this as a boon of my gratitude to you," Karrina said kindly. She handed me a shiny Houndour, which I nicknamed Firestorm.

Karrina reached forward and squeezed my left shoulder with a surprisingly-forceful grip. Patting my shoulder twice before she retracted her right hand, Karrina nodded her chin toward the Great Ball in my left hand. "Take good care of Firestorm for me, y'hear me? I'll know it if you don't. Bye, and thanks for your battle help. See you around sometime!," Karrina said flatly. Before she could try to limp her way out of the cave, though, I spoke. "Hey, Boss Lady, it's OK to use my shoulder to lean on now. Let me help you out of this cave," I offered compassionately. Karrina's grave countenance shifted into a look of middling appreciation.

I saw the glimmer of burgeoning respect within Karrina's eyes as she nodded her assent. "Alright. How very considerate of you," Karrina said graciously. I rested my left arm across her back, bracing my left hand against her left shoulder-blade. She did the same, albeit in reverse. As a team, we made our steady yet plodding way out of the cave.

After Karrina pointed out some raised, dead end tracks within the cave that were nearest to its entrance, I enlisted help from a nearby Trainer to rip two of the larger tracks out of the cave floor. Karrina then used these as makeshift crutches. Making our way back to the station, Karrina and I sat across from one another once we had boarded the train.

Karrina and I went our separate ways upon reaching East Gearen City. Once I had accompanied her back to Gang HQ, I returned to the Help Plaza and handed in my side-quest reports. These netted me money and a shiny Pichu.

Returning to the Gearen Laboratory, I paid a service fee and grabbed a shower, changing into my secondary travel outfit of a Miles Morales red and charcoal hoodie, worn over clean underclothing. A crisp pair of charcoal denim jeans, orange basketball print socks over a sky blue background and a pair of black Pumas with gold detailing capped off my outfit. Upon my Lab return, I checked into a free Trainer Suite, locked its door behind me and crashed upon its foldout sofa bed.

It had already been set up with a fresh change of everything - although, seeing as this was the Reborn region, 'fresh' itself was debatable. It was serviceable enough, I supposed, as my right cheek hit the fluffy pillow. I was out like a light for remainder of the encroaching night.

Arpeggio sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He had just returned from Route 2 and from Amethyst Cave. Ren and Venam had gone off to do their own things and here he was, sat here upon one of the visitor's chairs within The Great Hall. The Dimensional Galvantula had been a deeply formidable foe. Had he not had a reliable Doubles partner in Ren, he was certain that he would have sustained far more heavy casualties than he actually had. After venturing to the Poke Mart to stock up upon much needed supplies, Arpeggio decided to visit the Help Centre.

Having tackled and completed a request or two, Arpeggio returned to the Gearen Laboratory. He grabbed a quick, overpriced shower. Thanks to the plentiful region Trainers, however, a somewhat steady income was there to be made. This was a small consolation. Behind his Trainer Suite's closed and locked door, he changed out of his regular outfit and into a set of new clothes.

He changed into a black Harry Potter hoodie with a teal Slytherin left sleeve, a maroon Gryffindor right sleeve, butter yellow Hufflepuff pockets and a sapphire Ravenclaw hood. Rounding his outfit out with a pristine pair of navy blue denim jeans with white pockets, black with Golden Snitch print socks and a pair of maroon Nikes with black matte black detailing, Arpeggio grinned at his mirrored reflection.

Oh, yes, he was set to slay within this region and beyond. Arpeggio followed a hooded figure through a certain portion of Amethyst Cave, Arpeggio found, battled and was befriended by Nim. Upon the completion of Nim's oddly-titled Fun Games, Arpeggio was zipped back to Amethyst Cave. After checking in with Karrina and helping her to take down her rival gang, Arpeggio was rewarded a shiny Houndour from Karrina. He nicknamed it Cerberus because in his opinion, the male Houndour was worthy of the name and its reputation.

Their gang had been kind enough to help carry Karrina back to the train via a Midday Lycanroc back-ride. Arpeggio had ran all of the way back in their wake. He had tried to keep pace with the rock wolf 'mon, but he just hadn't been able to do so. Next upon his list was seeing what room the Nim-gifted Room ID would unlock. Arpeggio checked the rooms near Professor Jenner's starter lab and lucked out upon finding Melia's room.

Ordinarily, Arpeggio wouldn't trespass in anyone else's room, let alone a girl's and this girl's, but the Card did require a usage. It also helped that he was understandably curious about what Melia's bedroom happened to say about her. Scanning the Room ID within a keycard scanner panel just below Jenner's starter lab, Arepeggio turned the door's handle.

He then stepped through into Melia's previously-forbidden room. The room reminded him of a time capsule that had been expanded to real life size. Melia's suitcase was sitting upon a central table, awaiting Melia's pick up. Beside the case was a framed family photo of the Jenner family, as well as a Gym Leader acceptance letter, which Arpeggio read.

The letter was congratulatory and somewhat concise, detailing Melia's new Gym location and a potential personal escort via car to Grand Dream City and its Athenaeum, which would have played host to her Normal type Gym, had she survived to take up her post there. Movie posters that Venam had painstakingly picked out for Melia adorned the wall beside Melia's personal wardrobe. The wardrobe itself had been left open as if Melia had been debating which clothes to pack for her new job before she had left the Laboratory. Picking up the Exp. Share that had been resting upon the desk at the foot of Melia's bed, Arpeggio immediately saw a use for it in battle.

A Wigglytuff doll was sat upon Melia's bed, just chilling out at the foot of her pillow, while a Clefairy doll sat to the left-hand side of a desktop computer monitor. Its screen was of the gigantic sized variety and it suited the life of relative privilege that Melia must have led up until her unfortunate and untimely demise. It was a room that one could feel proud of, furnished with just the right ammount of personality, practicality and professionalism.

Exiting Melia's bedroom, Arpeggio left the Laboratory and set off toward Amethyst Cave...and his next destination, Sheridan Village. With thoughts of the most advantageous team composition upon his mind, Arpeggio set out to train his current team, build several backup teams and cut a broad swathe through the region while he was at these endeavours. He would catch all that he could, while he could.

A/N: May edit additional scene content here, but I could decide, upon second thought, not to do so. Stand by.

Oh, my Lords Arceus, Helix and the like,

Hello, all, and apologies for my abscence. Life has been a Whirlwind for me as of late, which has necessitated my taking time out to myself and for myself. I assure you all that I am doing well and refocusing alot less upon fangames that I need to play (I am focusing solely upon the ones that I am writing about here, instead), as this will result within less stress about meeting self-imposed deadlines and more chill time to write and post my story content in a timely yet relaxed manner and method. In my defence, I have been afk up until today.

EDIT: I will now write and post Chapter Four asap, starting from tomorrow, my time. (Fri 24/09/21). I will edit it here upon its completion. OK, so I have decided to focus my attentions upon each of these fanfiction works, but one at a time. I will complete Alisa, then Alto and only then will I complete Jester, then Myriad. I had been focusing upon posting one chapter for each and splitting my attention between them before now, but I have to do what's right for me. If this will require a story repost for Alto, Myriad and/or Jester, then I request permission to repost them (I don't know how and/or if posts that don't get updated regularly would then get archived or not.)

chapter update stress