Hello, I'm a new player! :)

Energy-chan

Admittedly, I'm rather curious as to why you're a fan of these characters. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of any of them (Blue/Gary's character in the games has some merit though, I'll give you that) so it's difficult for me to understand why you're such a persistent supporter of them. I'll give Fern some credit too, as he's been shown to have a decent amount of competitive knowledge post his battle with Aya but in my experience he's been more a nuisance than anything else. Despite him continuing to talk big game, thrashing Fern's team hasn't ever been even moderately difficult (I will say that fighting alongside him very early in the game was one of the more painful experiences I've gone through in Reborn). Silver and Paul have been shown on several occasions to be outright cruel to other people/Pokemon. Do you think you could shed a little light on why you like them so much?

Oh, and I'm not sure it's my place to say as I've had this forum account for not even a week now, but welcome to reborn.

Well Paul had his reasons actually. He used to be kind to his Pokemon until Reggie lost to Brandon and gave up everything he'd worked so hard for, despite being an elite trainer. Making Paul believe that things like kindness, e.t.c, were a weakness. I dislike the boring, cliche, nice guys. Fictional characters to me, need to be interesting. Have different layers to them. And allow me to view them how I see them, not being forced to just think their one sided. Ozai from Avatar Legend of Aang I love, especially due to the search and Ozai has about ten different levels to him.

Fern is actually my hardest rival. I beat Victoria and Cain easily every time thus far and I only look forward to battling Fern. Every time I face him I lose at least once, but Victoria and Cain I beat first time every time. xD

Really, I like them because....I just do.

Their unique, they have different sides to them, some canon and some not explored that is left up to you.

Fern is a douche heavily until badge three.

But the Corey scene I liked him even more, He even commented he must seem heartless, which to me implies he didn't wish to come across. He didn't know

well, so the loss was nothing to him. Which is normal for a human. Even when he mocks you, when the incident happens, he goes rushing off to see what's wrong and he does tell you how to find said character. Fern running from Juliana's bomb I found hilarious, the cage scene with Nuzleaf I loved, I said "yes" to everything to see his dialogue, so many innuendo's oh my god. xD Fern seems like a normal guy, whose got so many quirks to him and different sides to him, and I feel like he's over-shadowed by Florinia. Fern I also enjoy tag battling with and his Pokemon complimented my team. Heck my Vulpix has hex, so when he causes a status problem, boom, big assistance. :3

Titania, Priest (El) and the psychiatrist I hate as "people" so far, but love their character. I mean, attempted murder and traumatizing someone? Lying to Luna? Abusing orphans? That's some....bad stuff....

And thanks!

Well I know on the "first layer" of most people you don't know them well. I consider most people, myself included to have what I called "layers". And the more you get to know someone, the more "Layers" you un-cover. I have made friends with people, some would hate, because their not nice to most people, but if they care for you, they have your back. Like Julia she's so bubbly and a cheer leader, a stereo type would be she's dumb. But under her layers she might not be.

Florinia, she's a "robot" and she uses very difficult vocab, but under her first layer, you see there is more to her.

So I suppose, I like characters who have multiple layers.

Most "Good" guys just have one or two max. Pretty flat character, not always but a lot of the time to me.

Also, I'm a bit of a character nerd. Even outside of "canon" or after the story, I like to think what would happen next or how I perceive the character changing.

It's 6am in the morning and I did an all nighter beating Corey so if I'm not making sense I'm sorry. xD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Paul had his reasons actually. He used to be kind to his Pokemon until Reggie lost to Brandon and gave up everything he'd worked so hard for, despite being an elite trainer. Making Paul believe that things like kindness, etc, were a weakness. I dislike the boring, cliche, nice guys. Fictional characters, to me, need to be interesting. Have different layers to them. And allow me to view them how I see them, not being forced to just think they're one sided. Ozai from Avatar Legend of Aang I love, especially due to the search and Ozai has about ten different levels to him.

Personal preferences aside, I was under the impression that Paul always had a cruel streak in him as revealed by Reggie. It's been awhile since I've seen the anime though, so perhaps I'm mistaken. Ozai I think is another situation entirely, but regrettably I don't know much about his character.

Fern is actually my hardest rival. I beat Victoria and Cain easily every time thus far and I only look forward to battling Fern. Every time I face him I lose at least once, but Victoria and Cain I beat first time every time. xD

I mean your starter is Mudkip, so naturally you'd have a hard time against a team full of grass types, especially early on.

Really, I like them because....I just do.

Which is fine.

They're unique, they have different sides to them, some canon and some not explored that is left up to you.

This statement is confusing, but I think I get what you're trying to say..?

Fern is a douche heavily until badge three.

But the Corey scene I liked him even more, He even commented he must seem heartless, which to me implies he didn't wish to come across. He didn't know

well, so the loss was nothing to him. Which is normal for a human. Even when he mocks you, when the incident happens, he goes rushing off to see what's wrong and he does tell you how to find said character. Fern running from Julia's bomb I found hilarious, the cage scene with Nuzleaf I loved, I said "yes" to everything to see his dialogue, so many innuendo's oh my god. xD Fern seems like a normal guy, who's got so many quirks to him and different sides to him, and I feel like he's over-shadowed by Florinia. Fern I also enjoy tag battling with and his Pokemon complimented my team. Heck my Vulpix has hex, so when he causes a status problem, boom, big assistance. :3

I was getting at something you probably didn't experience in terms of battling alongside Fern -- in earlier versions of the game, he wasn't the smartest battler and liked using Water Sport more than anything else...although the things he says in the scene on Beryl Bridge do seem reasonable.

Titania, Priest (El) and the psychiatrist I hate as "people" so far, but love their character. I mean, attempted murder and traumatizing someone? Lying to Luna? Abusing orphans? That's some....bad stuff....

Yes, indeed it is.

And thanks!

Well I know on the "first layer" of most people you don't know them well. I consider most people, myself included to have what I called "layers". And the more you get to know someone, the more "Layers" you uncover. I have made friends with people, some would hate, because they're not nice to most people, but if they care for you, they have your back. Like Julia she's so bubbly and a cheer leader, a stereotype would be she's dumb. But under her layers she might not be.

I think that Julia being a pyro is stereotype-breaking enough for me. I'm not sure that I would call them layers, personally, but these characters do have a significant amount of depth to them.

Florinia, she's a "robot" and she uses very difficult vocab, but under her first layer, you see there is more to her.

So I suppose, I like characters who have multiple layers.

Most "Good" guys just have one or two max. Pretty flat character, not always but a lot of the time to me.

Also, I'm a bit of a character nerd. Even outside of "canon" or after the story, I like to think what would happen next or how I perceive the character changing.

Which is also good. I myself have been doing quite a bit of plot-theorizing lately.

It's 6am in the morning and I did an all nighter beating Corey so if I'm not making sense I'm sorry. xD

Considering this, I think you made out okay.

So to answer my original question, you like them because they're interesting, exciting, round, multifaceted characters. Solid.

So to answer my original question, you like them because they're interesting, exciting, round, multifaceted characters. Solid.

That is the reason in a bombshell yes. =)

I should use that quote when asked more often.~

I noticed, in Lapris Ward, you can say yes or no to the psychiatrist, yes they have very high level Pokemon that you tag battle with Cain, before you even get your 4th badge, let alone the 3rd badge...since Corey never gave it to me. o.o