Bunni Blair

a couple questions  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wait until V13 to start writing?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the story be in parts (seasons)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What mode should I base the fights off of?

• Casual
    • Normal [Reborn Style]
    • Intense
  4. 4. Should I base it 100% off of the original story?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I should probably apologize for answering in text instead of the poll, as you intended. At least, this way, if the reasons I give don't apply for you (or sound nonsensical), you can just ignore my two cents. 

(also, I may like being more verbose than necessary)

In my opinion, you shouldn't wait for V13 to start writing. I don't think there is going to be massive early-game changes now that the plot is settled. At worst you'll have to redo a few battles (and you can even handwave it by explaining that the characters diversified their teams later on), but I don't think anything will mandate a larger-scale revision (of course, I have no information but what's publically available on this topic, so it's a guess).

Also, you're probably aware of it, but it's easier to get going once you've started. 

Of course, it depends on your way of writing -- perhaps you're planning everything first very cautiously before writing a single word, in this case perhaps you can go on planning. 

Parts aren't mandatory, but given the scale of Rejuvenation's adventure, it sounds pretty likely that there are going to be many chapters. Grouping them into parts should help the reader keep the larger picture in mind. 

As for the fights -- why force yourself to more consistency than necessary? If your fights are recordings of the game, play at a level you're about confortable with. If you tell them instead of showing them, you can keep the broad ideas but be considerably more flexible. 

About basing it off 100% of Rejuv's story... I don't like writing it (difference and originality bring value, I heard), but you're going to need to be very careful with your plot modifications.

I'm confident that you can twist Reborn's plot to not fit the Big RevealTM (or Big RevealsTM) the dev team is planning for us, because you probably can also twist the ending -- and character relationships are well-established enough that we know what could conceivably happen in a barely alternate universe.
But Rejuv has an insane amount of unknowns, which makes significant plot deviations very dangerous because you don't really know what you break. 

Some examples off my head, there are probably others:

Spoiler

What if the Eldest had actually been following Kenneth in Mount Carotos and got killed by Team Xen?

Or, perhaps, C. joined you in a heroic battle against the ever scarier Rift Gyarados, and finally succumbed while helping you lay it to rest?

For a more recent example, what if Erick had been badly wounded against the Garbodor and couldn't fulfill his V12 role? Plot time is pretty short from that point IIRC, definitely not more than a few weeks.

(I don't have any subtler examples in mind but I'm qute sure they exist if you're imaginative enough).   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, Mindlack said:

About basing it off 100% of Rejuv's story... I don't like writing it (difference and originality bring value, I heard), but you're going to need to be very careful with your plot modifications.

I'm confident that you can twist Reborn's plot to not fit the Big RevealTM (or Big RevealsTM) the dev team is planning for us, because you probably can also twist the ending -- and character relationships are well-established enough that we know what could conceivably happen in a barely alternate universe.
But Rejuv has an insane amount of unknowns, which makes significant plot deviations very dangerous because you don't really know what you break.

This is actually one of the reasons I thought about waiting for V13. I don't want to start posting the fanfic, only to have to go back and rewrite the whole thing because I got something wrong. There's just so many mysterys, that hopefully will be answered.

I however, will still be making some changing to the story. I want to add something to Rejuvenation, not just tell the same story that the game is telling. And as I have seen people love it when there's changes or additions to the story. Also I indeed have some things I already know I want to change. Like Melia's character and that the MC never seems to get close to anyone. Of course I won't get into anymore details, as I don't want to give spoilers. But I will say it has to do with Crescent.

1 hour ago, Lady Taria said:

This is actually one of the reasons I thought about waiting for V13. I don't want to start posting the fanfic, only to have to go back and rewrite the whole thing because I got something wrong.

I think that for a large part the beginning of the game is fine – IMO we’ve got good enough lore for you to cover at least Blacksteeple and maybe even to Mt Valor (though you’d want to be careful around the Indriad parts). 

But I would be very wary to postpone your start to V13 – we’re at 41% and it’s been 8 months since V12. If you want to write it, I don’t think it’s good to procrastinate by that much. 

As long as you don’t get characters killed or shipped, any mistake is probably repairable (and even so, you can break relationships – see eg “Awesome Adventure” for Reborn – and the Rejuv plot gives us several factors capable of retconning a death, at the cost, possibly, of further plot intricacies). 

I would also be careful around Crescent – we still know very little about her motives, knowledge, intentions, plans and goals, so it’s not easy to get how she would react in a different setting. A mistake there is probably harder to fix, but I can think of ways it can be done. 

But then again, it’s your story, you do what sounds best for you. For all it’s worth, I think it’s a good idea to get the MC (or Melia) closer to other characters. 

4 hours ago, Mindlack said:

But I would be very wary to postpone your start to V13 – we’re at 41% and it’s been 8 months since V12. If you want to write it, I don’t think it’s good to procrastinate by that much.

I'm going to be writing and posting my Reborn one first. So I hope this doesn't become a problem. I don't want people to lose interest...

4 hours ago, Mindlack said:

As long as you don’t get characters killed or shipped, any mistake is probably repairable (and even so, you can break relationships – see eg “Awesome Adventure” for Reborn – and the Rejuv plot gives us several factors capable of retconning a death, at the cost, possibly, of further plot intricacies).

Oh, I haven't heard of that one before. I'll have to look into it, when I have the time. Because I'm still trying to get caught up with a couple of other written runs. Why trying to get my own ready to post.