Empoleon vs Typhlosion

TotallyNotLuck

Unless someone can prove to me how Typhlosion is better - the only thing that I like about is that it can be a mixed attacker and gets decent coverage, - I will always choose Empoleon. It is a good special attacker and physical attacker - if you have access to Move Tutor - and gets Water, Steel, Ice special coverage, on top of Ground, Rock. Fighting, Ghost physical coverage. People always bitch about how choosing Piplup in Reborn made the first two gyms hard AF, but honestly, whatever starter you choose, Julia is a minor obstacle. For Florinia, you'd have to get a couple more mons - Swoobat, Pangoro, whatever. I mean it's not that big a deal. Empoleon's very non-existent for Kiki's gym, and having it's Fire and Grass resistances being cancelled is a bummer, but it's really good mid-game against Rock, Flying, Dragon, Fairy, even Steel.  

Typhlosions a monotype, and I see very little use coming out of it that makes it better than Empoleon, but I really want to know why people say it's better.

One move is why, and that move is Eruption. Not only is it boosted on a number of fields that make it super powerful, it also transforms other fields. Not to mention it is also a spread move that does massive damage.

• Upvote 2

I mean, it depends on your other Pokemon and what you want from the Pokemon on that exact spot. Empoleon is a (very) good utility mon, it can be a Stealth Rock setter, a Defogger, it has access to Knock Off and Roar to cripple stallers and phaze set-up sweepers, and in Mono-Steel, it helps not getting completely abused by Fire mons. 

Typhlosion on the other hand is much faster (and actually has a decent speed tier) has access to Eruption, which like Swampellow said, benefits greatly from many Field Effects and can change them, but also to Nature Power (and he's actually the only non-Grass starter Pokemon able to learn it).