Freezing Reborn Solid - An Ice Monotype Playthrough

Lil' Sunny

We're nearing the end now folks. i'm still questioning my lineup. Weavile was a godsend for me last time i did the Glass Factory shenanigans and idk how useful Rotom-F will be for the forseeable future. plus if i want any chance against hardy i'm probably going to want wide guard which means bringing Titanic out of storage. 

So i spent a good few hours yesterday and today breeding and training. first i bred Thicc Gurl with ditto to get a male Amaura, raised it to evolve into Aurorus and learn freeze dry, all so it could breed with Nessie the lapras to make a Freeze Dry lapras.  it was Male so i couldnt name it Nessie now could i. after racking my brains i gave up and said "Robert" because Nessie = Scotland. so meet Robert

Sny6PRD.png

VuAYmT0.png

Following this i also EV trained big papi and got him a couple of levels up to the rest of the team.  went to the desert and headed straight for the train graveyard. wasnt too difficult and got through to train town. and to Amaria's tower. Big Papi did most of the slaying in here. Zekrom was a tough cookie but eventually i cracked it.

The strategy for zekrom was simple to figure out, and simple to execute provided no crit bs. he always starts with tectonic rage, down goes Mrs Claus. then, since frieza resists bolt strike he goes for outrage. which Slush resists, and he's locked in. meaning slush can take an outrage, and slow him with a bulldoze, then outspeed and hit a 2nd bulldoze to slow him further. Robert hits a nice specs ice beam and died to bolt strike before Big Papi ended with earthquake.

wFTGf2c.png

Further on i got to the mistress of steel herself.

Titania was stupid tough, i prepared the damn near perfect team for her, and still lost repeatedly. my strategy wouldve eventually, maybe worked with perfect RNG. but then an easier solution slapped me in the face. Shell Armor, raises defence, on the field. So i had a spare ability capsule and shuffled lapras from water absorb to Shell Armor, and that did it.

The fight started with sandslash on sandslash action. mine setting swords dance, tanking an iron head and One shotting her with iron head. excadrill came and i healed hoping to live a smart strike (stupid magic seed) but alas no. Frieza was my only mon that could outspeed it, so he hit a huge blizzard down to low health, and smart strike ended him. Big Papi had ice shard to finish it though. Klefki came in and this was where variance could happen. i needed it to use draining kiss, flash cannon was an OHKO. so earthquake, draining kiss did a lot, earthquake finished it. then the big Kahuna. you thought Aegislash was her ace? tell that to Mega Fking Scizor. even specs HP Fire from lapras wasnt doing even half, hydro pump did slightly more. so i hit hydro pump, critted. he got swords dance, i lived a +2 bullet punch thanks to shell armor's field boost, then hydro pump finished it. empoleon ate an earthquake and died. leaving her final pokemon Aegislash. foddered Robert healing big papi. sacred sword killed it. Big Papi took a shadow sneak, and finished with one final Earthquake. 

I9g64sy.png

Went back to train town, withdrew Byrd, flew straight to...agate circus to get some more ability capsules and shuffle Robert back to Water Absorb. THEN went to the Mansion to face Amaria. finding her was tough the first time, but after that she was basically in 2 adjecent rooms by good luck. also found X-scissor TM without trying to lol.

Amaria was simple, Frieza one shot starmie with discharge, then froze the field with blizzard, dying to swampert's dive. Robert one shot with freeze dry. Snowflake one shot ludicolo with freeze dry and in came Lapras. curse, lovely kiss, nasty plot, psychic, 2nd psychic crit. dead. Kingdra got outsped and blizzarded to death. wishiwashi was a huge problem initially though. 1. elemental seed gave it a speed boost and 2. earthquake broke the frozen field finally. it swept most of my team, but when i sent in Robert again something weird happened, it kept using ice beam which i 4x resist. i wouldve thought Dive wouldve been stronger. and idk what the 4th move is (eq dosent work on water surface) so a quick pair of freeze dry took out Wishiwashi and ended the battle. 2-0
gjROkhV.png

Strongly considering Weavile>Rotom for the forseeable future, though i could always replace Walrein since there's a lot of double battles coming and his main attack is Surf. pairs nice with robert and mrs claus, not so much with the rest. I could also get the Icium Z and Abomasite at this point and use Mega Abomasnow. i WISH there was another ice type mega besides glalie i really do.  Mega Abom was good last time, but itd be a pain raising it and i think i have all the resources i need already. i'll probably pick up the icium Z tho. 

And thus, we reach the finale for now. idk what i'll do next. might try rejuv. might do the Dex quest. might just sit on this till the final Ep.

So remember how i said Weavile>rotom? yeah factory field says otherwise. Discharge was my lord and savior through the glass factory.  i went to calcenon, got rock climb. retrieved the icium Z and trained up Titanic to replace Thicc. So my final team was Titanic, Mrs Claus, Big Papi, Frieza, Foxy and Robert. 

So after that i realized i needed to actually finish the mega z ring quest, gave owners back their pokes and Arclight gave me the mega Z ring, allowing Mrs Claus to turn blizzard into a nuclear Subzero Slammer. 

Following this i went through the mountains to the glass factory, inside the factory was easy enough the puzzles werent as hard as i remember lol.  managed to make it to the dreaded gauntlet of battles.

Oh ye gods, this brings back painful memories. So cain and shelly was a tough one. thanks to Frieza and Big Papi being a winning combo, defog got rid of sticky web and they were taking mons out quite efficiently, big papi's new rock tomb doing most of the work on shelly. a subzero slammer from Mrs Claus took out cain's muk. eventually Shelly's last pokemon was down leaving cain with mimikyu (busted), primarina and nidoking vs Robert (paralyzed, very low) and Titanic. full restore + crit avalanche took out mimikyu. protect followed by revivng Frieza allowed titanic to live, sadly he went for dazzling gleam on primarina so robert got KOd, frieza came in and discharge took out Titanic and Primarina. one last shot, one last hit. please....Blizzard. Hit. Nidoking down. Frieza stands alone and proud.

psd57Bh.png

First ? wasnt too difficult. mostly just take each mon as it comes. eventually it was 5-2 but mismagius was the unexpected problem taking out most of my team. Titanic took a hit just barely and avalanched it for the KO leaving umbreon. my last hope was Foxy, she hit one final dazzling gleam, barely survived the toxic damage. and hail finished umbreon off.

i then proceeded to remember your mons get healed, but not revived. after fight 2. and with only Foxy left, i lost.

cUGwq3z.png

Attempt 2: Battle 1 was roughly the same. Battle 2 i fought more carefully to make absolutely sure nothing died. Foxy took out absol leaving Titanic at full strength to one shot Mismagius and i Frieza chucked a few discharges at Umbreon finally ending the fight 6-0 Alas even with all the RNG screwage in the world, i BARELY couldnt manage it. +2 subzero slammer finished mega garde, only for alakazam to show its face and end me.

Attempt 3: Then it hit me. Choice Specs. Lapras wasnt doing much besides chucking hydro pumps and potions everywhere so why not give him the wave incense for a slight boost to hydro pump and trade the choice specs he had to Frieza since discharge was my biggest weapon. well its worth a shot.

And it worked! Rotom fired discharges left and right knocking out pair after pair. eventually he fell, but by then i had carved through enough of their team that i could handle it. after an aurora veil they couldnt hurt me much so a subzero slammer on mega garde and a couple of blizzards took it out. alakazam fell to Hydro pump/blizzard. bronzong was their last pokemon hydro pump/blizzard did a good chunk then a double ice beam ended the fight.

Dg3HSYZ.png

So after that hellacious gauntlet, i made my way to Calcenon again and was told "yo, we taking back Agate" so after momentarily forgetting where the south gate was since people blocked the west one. i flew to Radomus' castle, exchanged delibird for robert and went into agate. none of the fights were overly challenging compared to the glass factory. 

Solaris was easy af. almost his entire team is weak to Ice, the moron. Mrs claus took out staraptor, big papi took a chunk out of tyranitar, ate a stone edge and finished it off. foxy took out gyarados easily while also eliminating sandstorm back to hail. excadrill flinched Titanic sadly but i used the off-turn to heal big papi, foxy came in and blizzarded excadrill. Lapras took down Scizor and finally big papi hit an ice fang on mega garchomp who used swords dance, and ice shard ended the fight.

j8XT3Xx.png

after chasing Lin and her escaping again, hardy wanted a battle. so i headed to his gym, the trainers were tougher than he was but big papi did the heavy lifting and got me through to Hardy.

Hardy was probably the single easiest gym in the entire game. Wide guard makes him a literal joke. here's what happened.  Mrs Claus + Titanic come in, mrs claus switches for foxy to set hail, wide guard protects from double rock slide. mrs claus comes back, wide guard protects, nasty plot, wide guard protects, i win. several Blizzards later and his whole team was down without a single scratch on me. nothing but rock slides, all blocked.

A722jsX.png

So yeah. idk what to do now. i'll take a break for now maybe play something else. but i'm strongly considering doing Rejuv, just need to do a little research first. 

Thoughts on the run (Technically "So far")

Ice was a difficult one to use. sure it had an excellent balance of offence and defence, but it just wasnt fast enough or bulky enough when it counted. some fights i was too slow, some i wasnt powerful enough. and the earlygame was a pain having only 2 pokemon for the first 2 gyms (in fact my run wouldve been ended at shelly if i hadnt got traded a couple of pokes i couldve got from eggs mitigating RNG bs) 

Sneasel: if i wanted, i couldve evolved and used Kitty some more. i used weavile before though and wanted to experiment, by the time weavile is obtainable the game shifts to a more team-oriented double battle style anyway so a predominantly single pokemon like Weavile wouldnt have been as much help anyway. earlygame it was invaluable with ice shard and hone claws to sweep away most problems. 

Beartic: was a big, hard hitter. just too slow to be of much use sadly

Sandslash: same as weavile, great mon for singles. not as great in Reborn. still did its fair share of work especially later against the likes of Adrienn and Titania stupid fast and hit stupid hard.

Jynx: What a mon, sing early was annoying to land, but beneficial nonetheless. as soon as i could re-teach lovely kiss she became invaluable to the team. learning Psychic and Blizzard naturally was a godsend too, and when she could get nasty plot up she was a wrecking ball. 

Walrein: Bulky thicc blubberbutt was insane for most of the game, was decent early, amazing mid and held his own into late. fell off slightly due to lack of power but was still beneficial, and is still ready to go should i need him come e19.

Ninetales: i mean, snow warning + aurora veil makes it by default one of the best ice types in the game. wicked fast too and hits pretty hard with blizzard.

Cryogonal: This thing was a special tank of the highest order, with monstrous speed and respectable SpA to boot. early screens and later utilising Aurora veil it was a godsend in the early and midgame. Freeze dry by level was wicked too. same as walrein its power fell off late, but its still there if i need it.

Vanilluxe: if you told me one of my best pokemon for the early and midgame of reborn would be fking Vanilluxe, i wouldve laughed at you. nobody's laughing now. Acid armor early, icy wind for speed control, Snow Warning, freeze dry by level up, mirror coat with respectable special bulk. This thing was tailor made to take advantage of basically everything. need i remind you that THIS was what took out Dittoceus earlier in my run. i wouldnt have got this far without it setting hail, being the bane of every special hitter in the game and crushing water types. Again though it's niche ran dry later on, and the immediate access to aurora veil made Ninetales the better hail setter. but who knows. depending on what E19 brings. we may yet see a grand finale for DoubleScoop

Mamoswine: yeah this thing is dope, you dont need me to tell you that. Earthquake early. ice shard by level. great attack, decent bulk, thick fat. decent speed. what more do you want...well i wouldntve minded a better ice move than ice fang but ehh thats just me (icicle spear and crash are egg moves 😕 )

Lapras: unexpected monster in the lategame, single handedly won the Titania gym battle and helped immensely with Amaria. it has great bulk, a great ability and its spA isnt terrible. especially holding those choice specs. Freeze Dry never hurt either 

Avalugg: Stupid bulky on the physical side, even super effective moves struggled to put a sizeable dent in it. Sturdy + Avalanche helped cinch a few KOs, protect and Wide Guard helped in the later double battles. it was a (no pun intended )Solid pokemon.

Rotom: What can i say, i underestimated this thing. i knew Wash rotom was great competitively but frost rotom has a worse typing and worse accuracy move in blizzard. but discharge working well with so many fields, defog clearing away Adrienn's mist field and any entry hazards the enemy threw in front of me. levitate pairing it perfectly with Mamoswine. this thing was a beast. 

Delibird: my run wouldnt have been possible without this absolute monster. i mean come on, what else has the power to fly a fully grown adult all the way around a gigantic region?

And finally i present: 2 boxes of eggs, breedjects, and other miscellaneous unused pokemon. 

eytiwqw.png

GuIsR6r.png

And finally finally i give you, the team

Big Papi: The Mamoswine

TZnOe26.png

Robert: The Lapras

aba2BWX.png

Frieza: The Rotom-Frost

sEbIfmJ.png

My Longest standing team member, since as far back as Shade's gym. Mrs Claus the Jynx

m1gFCjW.png

Titanic the Avalugg

E7YTuzy.png

And finally Foxy the Alolan Ninetales

PIHq5ZQ.png

• 2 months later...