Heal Points

Amethyst

• Administrators

So after watching others play, especially between Julia and Corey's gym, I've noticed some patterns about how people go through the game. And what I'm talking about specifically, is when people go back to heal. There are always certain times when, for instance, you're in the Malchous Forest and your team is running low so you need to go back and heal- but it's suuuuch a pain to walk all the way back to the center. It's boring, tedious, and adds nothing to the game. And players seem to be somewhat consistent about the points at which they need to do this while moving through the story.

So Ame thinks to herself, well, gee, I wish I could just save people the trouble.

because contrary to popular belief, ame is not evil

I think it would be neat if there was some kind of immobile one-time healing spot in certain places. So, you know, you just beat this trainer and you're waist-deep in this dungeon, and you're thinking, Darn, my team is pretty weak... I need to heal soon. And then boom, right there in front of you, you see a Whatever, and you're like, Oh, hey! A Whatever! Now I don't have to backtrack! and you go on with life happily.

This adds a lot for me as a developer because it means I can make more involved dungeons without worrying about tiring out the player's team on wilds and trainers, and it would hopefully alleviate some of the more annoying parts of playing.

My question is- What is that Whatever, in terms of the story? Is it some kind of Pokemon that pops up and heals you? Another kind of glowing stone? Maybe just a man-made item that you can't take with you? It would need to appear in both the wilderness and civilised locations, so I'm afraid do anything too industrial or too nature-based.

Does anyone have any concerns with implementing a thing like this- or ideas as to what the Whatever could be?

I've NO problem with implementing this... it's a good idea and I like it a lot. Plus, it means possibly bigger dungeons.

As for what... why not go simple and use Audino? If Black and White taught us anything, they pop up EVERYWHERE in nature... as for civilized locations, maybe Team Meteor/Any other civilized dungeon master have some on hand that are domesticated and trained to heal trainer's pokemon for their own grunts or guards?

honestly, just having one would matter to me so much/i'd like it so much that i wouldn't even care how logically it fits into the game.

but my suggestion could be like another glowy-stone thing or possibly a gathered up pool-of-water like a mini oasis of magical sparkly water that the pokegods rained down from the sky or whatever that you and your pokemon drink and therefore disappears after 1 use.

There should be some rotting corpses like in the Chrysolia forest. Your pokemon eat them and become refreshed. hehehe

Oh yes, wonderful idea! *Sarcasm*

I think it should be some sort of obelisk thing that is related to Arceus. Just look at the title screen of this game, Arceus is going to play a significant role eventually, so in my mind, some sort of holy, one-time-use obelisk/stone thingamajig would make sense. I like the idea, Ame, as it will allow for some really huge dungeons in the future. <:D

I think it would save some trouble if you could just put sacred ashes for sale in the department store for a moderately high price. (like the massages price range or higher)

That way people could just stock up with a few.

However, I don't believe whatever this thing will be should be that common. Maybe a single one that is midpoint in the dungeon sort of like the old Donkey Kong shiny barrels*. Because if they are too common it kind of defeats the purpose of team HP management.

*Which now that I say that would be a cool idea. You could do a shiny rock at the midway point which would heal you once or a set amount of times (like the portals on little big planet) and also be your respawn point if you get knocked out. But just ONE per dungeon and only on the long dungeons.

It heals and restores HP of all pokemon that have fainted. What did I say wrong about it?

Edit:

-Oh I think I know what you were confused about. I was just making a reference to the massages in regards to the the price level. Other than that what I said is correct.

Edited by Delhezi

You could have hidden rooms with points like this, if the dungeon is large enough. Then have an oldschool Pokemon Center machine that is rotting away, ergo one time use, and could be used in more industrial dungeons. In natural dungeons, you could go with the shining rocks you were talking about.

• Administrators

Oh yes, wonderful idea! *Sarcasm*

I think it should be some sort of obelisk thing that is related to Arceus. Just look at the title screen of this game, Arceus is going to play a significant role eventually, so in my mind, some sort of holy, one-time-use obelisk/stone thingamajig would make sense. I like the idea, Ame, as it will allow for some really huge dungeons in the future. < :D

I think you win this topic.

I do want to say though, that anywhere near Spinel Town and it's Alakazam in a Pulse Machine issues would be cool to have a Pokemon Center machine be ported there. Oh and the Alakazam thing is pure joking/speculation (unless I'm spoiling something in Episode 9 that I have yet to do.)

The obelisk idea is awesome, maybe make it diffuse a seething aura that holds off aggressive wild pokemons. Then in that area you can use an item (or nothing) to rest your party as in rpg lol.

If you want to add difficulty and complexity, then Healing Wells that replenish after X steps or whenever you exit/enter the dungeon (difficult to code though maybe) could do that. Then maybe for example you have to choose to heal only one Pokemon. Or you have to choose between healing one Pokemon at full HP&PP or healing two pokemons to full HP.

Inb4 specialized dungeons like the Battle frontier Pyramid with PP depleters Pokemons bwahahaha

Edited by Soysauce

Taking that Audino idea...

Maybe you could have this one Audino that sorta stalks you and shows up in the needed places. It will heal your Pokemon, but it's, like, friendly but timid, and runs away when you try to approach it or something.

Then all this could lead up to a point where it'll get over it and join you!

If you want a stupid and bizaare idea, you could have that Audino attack you, but it will only have Heal Pulse as an attack.

Then after the battle is over, it's just gone or have an event where it runs away.

It's slow, frustrating and doesn't revive Pokemon, but it sure will be awkward.

Edited by Luculyia