Pokémon: Dead End[CW: Mystery/Feedback/Discussion]

DigitalAmber

I recently became inspired to write a murder mystery story due to reading one myself. All the characters are pokemon and this does not conform to much of the conventional canon Pokémon universe, which is focused on trainers. I will say this: character death will happen in mass amounts. The challenge is to figure out whodunnit. 

Feel free to post theories and feedback in this thread, I don't mind. 

Now if you still bore with me, strap yourself in for a deathly ride. 

Chapter One: A Waterfall of Stone.  

Spoiler

Chandelure watched as snow whirled outside the train window into erratic, mesmerizing patterns. It was a nice day for a train ride through the high mountains. It was a nice day to take a vacation. It wouldn't be fun to trudge around in the snow, but it was the perfect time to sip hot chocolate in front of a fire. No stress, no responsibilities, just that mug of hot chocolate and pure relaxation. Chandelure felt like he had earned it. He had been needing it for some time. So when he found a letter in the mail entitling him to a mountain train ride and mountain cabin stay, Chandelure absolutely jumped at the chance. He couldn't believe his luck. He still didn't. 

"Can I sit here?" 

The question snapped Chandelure out of his snow-gazing, which had completely absorbed his attention. Chandelure turned and found a dark green cactus figure in a fedora with a duffel swung over one shoulder and a golden cross on a chain around his neck patiently standing there. 

With an easy smile, Chandelure responded. "Yeah, go right ahead." 

"Thanks, sir." The cactus slid into the booth across from Chandelure, careful not to poke holes into the seat. "My name's Cacturne and I was just wondering if you happened to have seen Furret recently?" 

"Furret? I haven't seen a Furret today. Or recently at all for that matter. Sorry. The name's Chandelure by the way."

"I know. Wait, sorry that sounded rude. I just meant I knew who you were already. You probably don't remember it but we did a few funerals together at the Meadow Song Arcean Church." Chandelure frowned. Had Cacturne helped out before? Funerals weren't really Chandelure's favorite thing. Sure he ran a funeral parlor, but he really found all the tradition and scripts quite tiring.  

"Ahh, I remember now. You're still the pastor over there then?"

Cacturne grinned. "Yes, and I plan to be until I die. What brings you here Chandelure? I hope poor Furret doesn't require the undertaker already." 

"Nothing like that happened, as far as I know. In fact I got mailed a vacation stay in a mountain cabin from this fellow named Beartic. Stress reduction vacation and all that. I guess you're here to perform last rites or whatever it's called on Furret?"

Cacturne chuckled. "The afflicted's blessing. His wife Weavile sent me a letter. Apparently she wants me to pray over him. All basic stuff. It's just usually never this far out." 

"Nothing too far out of the norm it seems. Sounds like your everyday life, in my opinion. Always rushing around to wish people safe travels and holding prayer parties and all that jazz. How's the family doing?"

Togekiss laughed as yet another person flinched. She'd done this test with just about every person in the game room, and everyone of them had failed. The latest victim had been Garchomp, who Togekiss thought would be the one girl to not flinch. Or at least flinch more subtly then some of the others, such as Smeargle. The poor girl jumped back an entire foot when Togekiss did it to her. 

Togekiss drew her wing back, still chuckling. "Don't chicken out now bro. It's two for flinching. Everyone knows that. Unless your scared of a little fairy." Togekiss said the last bit somewhat mockingly. Garchomp sighed and Togekiss seized the opportunity, slapping her wing against Garchomp's arm with some force twice. She winced on the second time and stared at the slight line of blood staining her white wings. Garchomp began loudly laughing at her discomfort. 

"Now that, that is karma. Instant karma. What was it you were saying about being the flinch god now?"

Togekiss rubbed her wing against the scrape from Garchomp's jagged, sharp spikes. "Fuck that hurt. Excuse me, I still am the flinch god! You still flinched! You won't take that title away from me yet. Never in a million years, girl. Now watch me massacre Mr. Grouchy Swords-For-Arms over there." Togekiss abandoned Garchomp to go mess with the green bladed figure leaning against the wall, his bladed arms crossed. A bored look was evident in his eyes. He had been leaning against the wall near the pool table the whole time. "Hey, Mr. Groucho, stop being a weird loner and come join the party." The party was relatively tame and consisted of a few guys at the card table gambling. "Unless you're too scared too. Then you can stay alone on the wall." 

The green bladed figure shrugged. 

"Stop acting like you're cooler then me, I know you're not. You know why? Because I know that no matter what I can make you flinch. Unless you want to prove me wrong, Mr. Too-Cool-For-School."

The bladed figure uncrossed his arms and pushed off the wall. "The name's Gallade. Not Mr. Grouch or any of that crap."

"The mute finally speaks. Never knew you could, Mr. Grouch."

Gallade sighed, "Kid, stop calling me that." 

"Aww, am I hurting your feelings? I thought Mr. Cool-Sourpuss here didn't care."

Gallate maintained his neutral expression. "You know what punk, you're on. Just try and make me flinch. Unless you're just all talk." 

Togekiss drew her wing back and slammed it with towards Gallade's face with lightening speed. Gallade narrowed his eyes slightly from the air. His perfectly neutral expression was still on his face. "That's what I thought. Try again next time, kid." 

Across the room, Garchomp was openly laughing. "What was it you said earlier, something about massacring this guy!"

Togekiss turned and glared, "Shut up!" She shouted back to Garchomp. She turned back to Gallade. "This means nothing. You. Me. Pool. Now. You are not going to beat me there." Togekiss nudged Gallade toward the pool table and started to levitate a pool cue. No one would beat the self proclaimed queen of games. Not Gallade. Not anyone in the game tournament at the end of the train trip. Not anyone. 

Whimisicott stared at the door, admiring it in all its glory. It was a simple door, in all regards. A window was set in the upper half of the door, revealing the coupling holding the train cars together and the closed door to game car. The window went well with the red door. Although she had started with the door, the plain window drew Whimsicott's attention. Things like this always had. You could see another window through the window and another window through that window and another one from that window too. You could see reflections too, making it almost opaque but not quite. It was almost as good as a mirror placed in front of another mirror. The endless reflections all moving in synch had a mesmerizing quality to it, Whimsicott thought. She was disturbed from her admiration for windows by a giant blue eel with a vicious lamprey mouth. Whimsicott found that this mouth was almost the exact opposite of a mirror, an endless black void. A void one could lose themselves in and never return. From the black gaping maw came the voice of hell, a voice that sounded soothing and relaxing to any ear. A voice suited to doctors, lawyers, and demons. Whimsicott made a note to stop reading stories involving demons and angels. She honestly had no idea where she spouted this nonsense, it seemed perfectly logical to her at first glance. The soothing voice spoke again. 

"Miss? Miss are you quite alright? You've been staring at the door for the past half hour and it's worrying me. Is something troubling you?"

Whimsicott finally consciously heard the eel. "Yes, yes, I'm quite fine." 

"Then why have you stared at the door without moving for so long, if I may ask?"

"Oh, no reason really. It's just nice to stare at it and collect my thoughts." 

"So something is troubling you after all. There must be something if you have to collect your thoughts." 

"No, not really. It's just nice to stare into endless infinity and know even infinity ends. After all, infinity ends with a y. A y that asks why infinity must end. You see, most don't realize that infinity actually ends, you just have to figure out where it starts."

"I see. I never really thought of infinity like that. I haven't really thought much on infinity to be honest. What brought this train of thought on?"

"Why mirrors of course." Whimsicott stated matter-of-factly. She stared at the blue eel as if it was the most obvious answer ever. 

"But there are no mirrors around."

"Exactly. That's why it's important to remember them. If I don't remember mirrors, then who will?"

"That's illogical, mirrors will always exist, both in people's memories and in existence. But I see what you mean. You have to remember the minor things that no one else will."

"No, it's just about remembering mirrors when there are none. It's okay if you don't get it and call me illogical. Most do. Farewell." Whimsicott turned the handle and stepped out of the car to enter the next one, not caring that she never got the name of the large blue eel with the endless void and the demon-lawyer voice. She could tell that fate, the whimsical lukewarm bitch that she was, had something planned. Whimsicott wouldn't have gotten a vacation opportunity from Beartic otherwise. 

Toxicroak sauntered up to the card table in the train car, spotting an open seat. Toxicroak stared at the game being played before him, vaguely recognizing it from his childhood. "Oy! Is that go fish?" A hint of surprise was evident in his voice. With a nod from the green frog with a spiral on his chest, he sat down. "It's been so long since I last played this game." The green frog casually slipped Toxicroak some cards. The green frog continued on with his turn, which had been interrupted. 

"Simisear. The fives, pass 'em here."

The red monkey reluctantly passed over two fives. 

The black puppet sitting between the green frog and Simisear chuckled. "Heyo, Simisear, pass me all three of those eights. Oh, and hide your cards better next time, you might not be last then." 

With even more reluctance, Simisear passed over all three eights in his hand, leaving him with a measly two cards. "Coulda told me sooner Banette. How long have you seen them?"

The puppet smiled. "Since four turns ago." 

Simisear sighed and stared at the green frog's cards. "Politoed, pass the sevens." 

Politoed shook his head. "How about... Simisear, go fish, I don't have any of your unlucky sevens." 

Toxicroak grinned as it became his turn. He almost felt bad for Simisear, even the new guy to the game was ganging up on him.

Luxray found his current situation to be comparable to hell. Scratch that, it was even worse then hell. It was pure torment. Accelgor was bored. Her first idea to alleviate boredom was mess with Luxray. Her insane speed was already maddening enough, but she had happened to scare off Smeargle, who had kind enough to read to the electric lion. 

Luxray groaned as he swatted at the barely visible Accelgor, missing the speedy bug completely. Accelgor jumped over the irritated Luxray and slapped him on the head. It had been like this for the past twenty minutes. Luxray would miss Accelgor, who would demonstrate her acrobatic prowess to annoy Luxray. 

"Accelgor. Please stop. This will be the last time I ask nicely."

Accelgor slapped Luxray's leg. "You said that last time. And the time before that. And the time before before that. And the time before before before that. And the time be--"

"No! No more before's! I am tired of your annoying existence. Leave. Now."

Accelgor did a swift roll under Luxray. "Haha! If you can catch me! Which you can't! I'm faster then the whole train!" Accelgor did an acrobatic flip directly into the arms of a grey armored pokemon with jousting lances for arms and a red plume on his head.

The shelled Pokémon spoke. "Ironically, I might be the slowest one on the train. My name's Escavalier. Now it's time to hold this girl down until her sugar rush ends. Smeargle told me about her. Now I might actually get some sleep safely." 

Smeargle chose that moment to shyly walk back into the cabin with her copy of Crime and Punishment in hand. "It- it's good to see y-your Accelgor problem has been d-dealt w-with. We left of on page eighty-six if I recall correctly." 

"I believe we did. Start anytime you wish."

Smeargle sat down as Luxray got comfortable. She opened the book. "Ah, here we were. 'The'--"

Escavalier still held a squirming Accelgor, who had hoped to free herself by vibrating enough to cause painful friction. "Don't you normally have really good eyesight Luxray? I heard other Luxray have perfect vision."

Luxray sighed and stared at where Escavalier was. "It's true that they normally do have good vision, I just burnt my eyes out. I had to hold my x-ray vision for long periods of time in my old job. Using it for so long simply burnt my eyes out. I'm retired now. Had to leave because of my retirement."

"Ah. I see." Escavalier could sense that Luxray wanted to know more of the story instead of talking to some stranger. "Well then, it was good talking with you." Escavalier floated off.

In conversations some people were akin to brick walls in their lack of speech. Even a brick wall would have more to talk about then brown floating bug named Shedinja did. The only thing Kecleon had got out of her so far was her name. 

"So, uh, wonderful weather we're having." Kecleon already tried asking her about her job and destination to no avail. If he had to take a guess, then Shedinja was here on some lottery won vacation that was more then likely sponsored by Beartic's Bold Bungalow, Medicham's Mountain Mansion/Monastery, or Altaria's Alpine Abode.  Most of the other travelers on the train won a vacation from one of those three. Why there was three different groups seemingly sponsoring the same vacation was confusing though. It made no practical sense and no representatives from any of the three groups were on the train, Kecleon had checked earlier. 

Silence was Shedinja's response to Kecleon's attempt at a cliche introduction to a conversation. Kecleon didn't expect anything from the bug type regardless. But if first you don't suceed... try four more times. "I really hate snow. I hate it with a passion. It's too cold and people can't really go out and have as much fun. It's too thick and slows me down too much. Sure it looks nice, but it's a bitch. What's your thoughts on this shit weather?"

Shedinja was silent as predicted, until an almost ethereal, soft voice that seemed to slither more then it spoke slid out of Shedinja. "Snow is... passable. Chilling. Freezes the soul. Preserves the passionless. Hail... is unacceptable. A rogue agent of preservation capable of only wrong. Hail is a cruel unnecessary evil."

Kecleon's eyes widened in surprise. "So you're not mute after all. That's a relief. I was having serious doubts. I can't believe you like snow. It's absolutely horrible and cold. I hope you don't mind my asking, but where are you heading to?"

The slithering voice floated out into the air again. "Our destinations are one and the same, although the journey will be different. Death welcomes all in time. But for the present, the destination is Medicham's Mountain Monastery. Not that I'll arrive there."

Kecleon seemed slightly taken aback by those off-putting words. "Don't be so pessimistic. Do you just not like trains, or are you worried about the vacation being fake?"

"So you are another one of fate's chosen playthings then, to have received the letter. I see. Maybe I was wrong. We might end up in that final destination together."

"Okay you're sounding really ominous. It's kinda unnerving really. Stop being so... fatalistic. We'll all be fine."

"Believe what you wish while you can." The snow became sparse over the rocky mountain ground as the train progressed further towards its destination. The world blackened instantly as the train entered a tunnel through the mountains. "Because soon you will wish you couldn't believe. Goodbye."

A boom followed by loud crashing could be heard from somewhere up ahead. Cries of surprise shot out of the mouths of every passenger in the train and mixed together to form a discordant symphony of curiosity and terror, surprise and wonder. The whole train waited with baited breath, none of the passengers were eager to be moving around. 

The train exited the tunnel and crossed across a bridge supported by two pillars at either end. Only five feet of feet of bridge kept the sides of the train out of the open white yawning abyss below the bridge. The gaping chasm below seemingly had no bottom and seemed like it would easily hold thousands of trains. The whole train, consisting of the game car, the engine, the two sleeping cars, the kitchen car, the dining car, the boxcar, and the general passenger car, all fit easily on the white stone bridge. 

A glance through the train's window revealed what had caused that frightening sound. The bridge was situated in a canyon between two tunnels. The tunnel up ahead, the one the train was speeding towards now, was completely caved in. 

The train screeched and the wheels complained as they ground to a halt before they collided with the fresh wall of stone. 

The hairs on the back of everyone's neck stood straight up. An ear rupturing explosion resounded through the open air. Cards were vibrated off the table and onto the floor. A seven ball shifted away from the corner pocket abruptly. Heads turned and looked behind the train. The tunnel where the train had once been was alive. The stones screamed in the air as they shifted and cascaded down the sheer mountain face. Each stone ground over the other, each one on a breakneck journey to the bottom of the endless white abyss below or towards the entrance to the tunnel, which had completely collapsed. The stones drowned out the screams of shock. 

The dust silhouetted the tunnel's entrance, preventing anyone from surveying the damage. Slowly the dust settled and swarmed the white gaping maw on everyone's sides. A static unmoving waterfall made of stone masterfully blocked the tunnel back. They were trapped between an abyss and two sheet cliffs. They were trapped.

Shedinja's fatalistic words rang in Kecleon's ears. 

Chapter 2: A Mortal Tragedy

Spoiler

Chaos and fear had engulfed the entire train. No announcement came from the engine, no safety warning came for the near synchronized tunnel collapse. Everyone was in panic. 

In the sitting room car, Luxray was yelling orders about staying calm on a table, Escavalier was glancing anxiously around the room and out the window, Smeargle was curled up into a fetal position under a table, Kecleon was sitting with a confused look on his face, and Shedinja just floated there, seemingly undisturbed. Farther down in the car, Cacturne was whispering prayers and Chandelure was staring at the tunnels with a shocked expression. The large blue eel with the gaping mouth chose to observe his fellow passengers rather then panic over the scene happening outside. 

Luxray's cries got louder in intensity. "EVERYONE PLEASE REMAIN CALM. WE HAVE NO REASON TO PANIC. PLEASE TRAVEL BACK TO YOUR SEATS IN A CALM AND ORDERLY FASHION. EVERYONE PLEASE REMAIN CALM..." Luxray began to repeat his shouts for peace and order. With a sigh of exhaustion, the blue eel got up and dragged himself over to Luxray, who he tapped on his shoulder. 

"Good sir, could you please take a seat? I know you have good intentions and everything, but your screams are making everyone panic. I'm sure you're a capable man but could you please let me handle this? You've scared poor Smeargle to death." 

Luxray stared at the panicking Smeargle before sighing. "If you think you can handle it..." Luxray hopped off the table. 

The blue eel levitated himself up on the table and began to speak in that soft voice that quietly screamed of calm. "My name is Eelektross. Please everyone remain calm. Everything will be alright. Nothing bad will happen, please just take deep breaths and go back to your seats. You have nothing to fear. Thank you." Eelektross floated off the table and watched as Smeargle slowly began to calm down, along with the more pent up passengers of the car. He drifted over to Luxray calmly. "I'll go check out the other car, keep the peace over here." Eelektross drifted across the car to the game car, where a similar scene unfolded. 

The card table was actually somewhat orderly, surprisingly enough. Simisear was hastily lighting a cigarette, Banette was humming to herself and stealing quick glances out the window, Toxicroak stood with wide eyes and bent down to pick up all the fallen cards, and Politoed quietly swore under his breath. 

Togekiss eyed the windows with surprise and used psychic energy to move the next ball into a corner pocket, hoping Gallade didn't notice the blatant cheating. 

Garchomp had smashed the nearest window apart, which had stubbornly refused to open, to get a better look at the rock slide which blocked the tunnels. Whimsicott held a glass shard from the window in her hand and stared at the caved in tunnels with distant eyes that focused on the intricacies of the rocks and all things unseen. 

Gallade made his way to the center of the room, his arms crossed. His face was the portrait of indifference, but something else glimmered behind his eyes. "Everyone please remain calm. We will simply wait for instructions from the conductor or until the authorities arrive. We will all be fine." 

The car door opened and Eelektross dragged himself over to Gallade. "It seems you got this car under control. Thank you. Personally, I'm more worried about everyone's panicked actions here rather then waiting to be rescued. Some of them seem liable to flip out."

"How's your car handling this?"

"Not nearly as well as yours. We had Luxray yelling on a table and Smeargle under a chair. I worry about Smeargle. From my observations she doesn't handle stress well. Just try to keep the stress down and people will calm down somewhat." 

"Sounds chaotic over there."

"It is. I should probably go check to make sure Smeargle is still stable now. Good luck over here." Eelektross dragged himself out the door. Garchomp pulled herself away from the window, slicing glass with her arms accidentally. She didn't notice. Or care. "Mr. Grouchy Cool-Guy, who the fuck was that?" 

Gallade sighed. "That was Eelektross. He's trying to keep things calm I guess. Now please step away from the sharp glass."

"Fuck no. I'll stand where I want. And do what I want. And right now I want to stand here." 

"Look I'm just trying to make sure everyone is okay, alright." 

"Who died and put you in charge, huh? I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to check out the rocks." Garchomp cleared the window of the sharper glass shards and hopped outside. She began to run down the side of the tracks towards the rockslide. 

"Garchomp! Get back here!" Gallade sighed. "Well then... who wants to go check out the rocks?" Everyone stood up, some slower then others, except for Banette. Multiple eyes shifted towards Banette, who would have blushed if marionettes could blush. 

"I-uh- I have a n-nervous bladder. I'll be there s-soon." Banette quickly stammered her words out and hopped to the door, which she struggled to open for a minute before disappearing. 

Accelgor was still trapped between Escavalier's lances, although it was unneeded now. Her coffee induced sugar high was now diminished, although that only meant she was less hyperactive. 

"Escavalier!! Could you please let me go go?!" 

The response was a dull, monosyllabic "Why?"

"Beeeecause! Your pointy arms look like candy canes! I'm allergic to candy canes, though they taste so festive and cherry."  

"Did- did you just say cherry? My arms are not candy canes, no matter how much you want them to be."

"Duh. Of course I said cherry. How else would a candy cane become red? The white tastes just like milk, probably because it is, in case you didn't know. You didn't seem to know. Too bad I'm allergic to milk and cherries. That means I can't have candy canes then."

"Your batshit insanity aside, you do know peppermint is what makes up candy canes, right?"

"Wait! That means I'm actually not allergic to candy canes then. I'm allergic to cherry milk candy canes, not your stupid peppermint candy canes. Now can I pleeeese go?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like you."

"Why?"

"Because you are an annoying upstart."

"Wh--"

"If you so much as think the word 'why' again, I will personally impale you with a candy cane." Accelgor shut up for a solid minute before she began again. 

"Escavalier?"

".."

"Eeeescavlier?"

"..."

"Escaaaaaaaavalier?"

"...."

"Eeeeeessssssscaaaaavvvvvaaaa--"

"Stop. Between you and that explosion, I have a migraine. Get out of my sight." Escavalier uncrossed his lance arms and Accelgor shot off like a rocket. Her speed was maddening as she raced towards the door to the dinning car and then the kitchen car. As she ran, a single word could be heard throughout the train. "Coffffffffeeeeeeee!!"

Eelektross was greeted to a grey blur as he opened the train's other door. "Everything is goi-- What was that?"

Escavalier turned to face Eelektross, who had frozen mid-drag. "Accelgor. She was being annoying so I let her run off." 

"I see. That girl can be annoying, although I guess her ADHD can be to blame."

Escavalier looked suprised at that statement. "She has ADHD?" 

"Yes. I think so anyways. From what I observed, she shows a few definitive symptoms. So, how much chaos happened while I was away?"

Escavalier shifted uncomfortably and glanced away. He didn't know why he didn't want to disappoint Eelektross, it wasn't like he had any issues or a lack of a father figure or other cliche things. Eelektross simply appeared to be a person who you didn't want to disappoint. "I, uh, Accelgor monopolized my time. I couldn't afford to watch the room."

"I see. Thank you for your effort." Eelektross began to drag himself towards Shedinja and Kecleon, who seemed to be quietly discussing something. He pulled mid-stride as Escavalier called out. 

"Eelektross? How was the other car?"

"It seems stable. I couldn't detect any nervous breakdowns and Gallade seemed to handle things well there. It's all well. Is that all?"

"Yes." Eelektross continued on his  path towards the section of the train inhabited by Shedinja and Kecleon. "Hello. I hope I'm not interrupting anything here. I was just wondering if either of you could give me an update on what transpired in the room while I was gone."

Shedinja floated silently, the conversation interrupted. Kecleon had to break the silence. "Smeargle's doing some deep breathing or something to calm her and Cacturne's next to her. That's all."

"Thank you." Satisfied, Eelektross crawled off. 

As Eelektross left, silence filled the air between Shedinja and Kecleon. This one was also broken by Kecleon. "How come you are so quiet all the time?"

A long pause came before Shedinja spoke. "Just because one has a voice doesn't mean they need to speak. Regardless of my involvement, the same events will still transpire. As it is fated, so it will be fated to be."

"You really need to work on that fatalistic attitude."

Garchomp stared at the pile of boulders blocking the way. Tiny cracks laced the uneven pile, but it was solidly formed. No one would be able to slip through and everyone knew it. Everyone stood in awe at what had happened. 

Politoed broke the silence first. "Well, we aren't getting through that, no matter how many weight loss bars you eat you still don't be thin enough." 

"Maybe we have to make a bigger gap instead of slipping through these tiny holes. Anyone have any explosives by chance?" Garchomp got a lot of questioning looks in response. 

"You do realize we traveled on a public train with security checks, right? And how do you know how to use explosives anyways?" Gallade responded.

"Didn't hurt to ask. And I just know." Garchomp replied cryptically. 

"You know, Garchomp could actually be on to something about the tiny holes bit," Toxicroak began, "I doubt it will work. It maybe we can shift some of the rocks away? Because nothing less then a Furret can get through that, or a ghost."

"We have a few ghosts. Chandelure, Shedinja, and Banette to name them. If any of you can teleport or something, now is the time to say so." Gallade instructed. 

Simisear stared at the smoke coming from his cigarette and how it mixed in with the cold mountain air. "Gallade, I thought you had teleport."

"I actually don't." Gallade responded. 

"How come? Too scared?" That came from Togekiss, who was perched on a rock. 

Gallade looked away briefly. "Couldn't get the technique down. Couldn't get an exact destination or even teleport at all sometimes. It was bad."

"I can't really help that much cause I, you know, lack arms, and telekinesis isn't good with things heavier then me, but let's try to move a rock. It'll help the rescue squad or something when they come out here. Not that I need them." 

"That's if they know we're stranded." Politoed said. 

"He has a point. The conductor didn't give us any safety advisory bullshit or something." Simisear said. 

"Guys, let's just move the stupid rock, k." Toxicroak led the others around a particularly loose rock near the top. Togekiss was sweating as she tried to levitate it somewhat to make it easier to move. Toxicroak and Simisear grunted as the rock stayed stationary and Gallade kept his stoic expression as he helped out. Garchomp tried to launch herself at it using insane speeds Garchomp are acclaimed for, but the lack of a good run up at the right angle made it an awkward jump kick. Politoed sat off to the side and watched the others struggle. 

A cackle from behind caused to jump back in surprise. Banette skipped towards the rock pile, laughing at the sight she saw. "Did I miss the prison gang labor?" 

Simisear chuckled. "You got here right on time. If we're still doing this rock moving thing." 

"It's pointless to try. We aren't going to make progress. Just stop trying. Besides, I want to know what basically caused a simultaneous rockslide. I thought I heard an explosion." Politoed said. 

"It was an explosion. I could tell from the boom." Garchomp confirmed.

Banette jumped up on a jagged rock and plopped down. "But who would set up bombs over tunnels? More importantly, why?"

"I don't know but I am going to find out." Gallade stated. 

"So basically we're potentially trapped at the whims of some terrorist psycho until a rescue team comes."

"That about sums it up." Banette stared at Simisear's cigarette. "Hey, Simisear, pass me a cigarette would you? And three eights while you're at it." Simisear groaned, lit a cigarette, and passed it to the lounging marionette. A faint flutter came from near Simisear's feet. Three eights were on the ground.

"While I'll be damned!" Simisear exclaimed. Whimsicott leisurely strolled up to the group. 

"Mirrors distort things, like this rock pile, too much to truly reflect it. But if it was already twisted out of order, mirrors twist the twisted twists back into place. I've stared into the mirror and I see the way to freedom. It's above and around us." Whimsicott rambled. 

Togekiss stared into the mist. "Do you mean..."

"Yes, the sky is the limit, and we shall surpass all limits." Whimsicott finished. Banette jumped up at the thought, wincing as the cigarette fell out of her just barely unzipped mouth and slid across her leg. She picked it back up. 

"Togekiss! That means you should play messenger. Just follow the railroad back to the station and tell them what happened. We'll be fine out here, I checked earlier and the kitchen car is stocked."

"Ace pilot Togekiss reporting for duty, heh." 

"Kinda like how you're the flinch queen?" Garchomp mocked 

"Hey! I'm more lucky then I am graceful, aight." Togekiss said. 

Banette winced looked down as her  leg, which had a red flame slowly growing. Banette stared at it in awe for a minute before slapping it and shoving the cigarette out against the rock. She examined the leg and messed with it for a few seconds, watching it open up. "Gah that stings. I just burnt myself. Get going Togekiss, I'll just go inside and sew myself up, don't worry." Banette held her burnt leg and jumped off the rock hobbling to the train. The burn has created a tear in the leg, of which a little bit of stuffing could be seen falling out occasionally. Banette hopped up on the coupling and entered a car, vanishing out of sight. 

The sitting room car was oddly quiet. Eelektross sat off in one corner writing notes in a journal, Escavalier had stole a deck of cards from the game room and had begun playing solitaire, Smeargle was reading her book to Luxray, Cacturne was taking a nap, Chandelure was staring at the snow, Shedinja was awkwardly floating around, and Kecleon was pacing about. Accelgor was no where to be seen. 

"I still don't understand how this could happen. Those rockfalls were too precise to be accidental. They also happened too close together. Meaning treachery of some sort is involved. Meaning someone wants us trapped here for some reason and judging from the fact that an explosion has been used, they are okay with breaking the law. I can't even think, I need some fresh air. I'm going to get some fresh air Shedinja." 

Shedinja's whispery voice spoke, "So it is fated so it will be... so it is fated.... so it will be... is fated... it will be...is fated...."

"Shedinja? You're actually creeping me out now, stop." 

"Can't stop fate... can't stop fate... can stop.... fate can stop...stop fate.... fate can't... stop." 

"Okaay then... I'm just going to go." Kecleon stepped through the train door. 

Eelektross set his notebook down on the center table. "Escavalier, you're in charge for now." He dragged himself over the Chandelure, who seemed to be concentrated on something. "Hey, Chandelure, need any help on whatever you're thinking about?" 

The chandelier exhaled and his eyes snapped open. "I just can't move Cacturne's body, no matter how hard I try. He just won't float up and move."

"Where are you planning to take him?" 

"To one of the sleeping cars. I really don't want him passed out on my seat. It's uncomfortable." 

"I see. I can help move him if you wish." 

"Great. I'm going to go play some pool while you do that. I don't think I can make dark types float so I can't really be of any help." Eelektross carried Cacurne out the door and Chandelure made his way to the pool table in another car. Shedinja wordlessly slipped through the door behind them. 

Elsewhere in the car, Luxray got up and interrupted Smeargle's storytelling. "Hey Smeargle, I'm sorry but I kinda have to go take my medicine just now. Sorry."

Smeargle closed the book. "It's fine. Go do what you need. I'll be in bathroom. 

"I still don't think this will work", Politoed expressed, "It's basically placing all our eggs in one basket."

"Well do you have a better idea then?" Simisear asked. 

"Yeah. How about we get Garchomp to fly. Or a ghost to glide  to freedom."

"Are you doubting my skills? I am the only real flier here. I can take you in anything you name." Togekiss said. 

"Anything... great you can't beat me in drinking, bitch." Politoed challenged. 

"Want to bet? I bet you will get wasted on your first sip, lightweight." 

"Guys," Simisear interjected, "Lets not bicker, okay."

"Garchomp should fly. He can go faster then speed." Whimsicott's soft voice said. Simisear, Toxicroak and Togekiss cracked up. 

"I can't actually fly, guys sorry. Never learned how. I can launch myself really far, but I can't like glide and do flips and shit. And I'm a she." Garchomp admitted. 

"Buuuuutttt I caaaaannnnnn!!!!" A grey blur screamed as it raced over towards the group. "I can run sososo fast I can fly!!" Accelgor screamed. 

"Oh god my ears!" Simisear cried. He pulled out his lighter and pack of cigarettes. 

"These are so fun fun!" Accelgor snatched the lighter and cigarettes out of Simisear's hands. She accidentally lit one of her wraps on fire and screamed, dropping into a roll. It went out. Accelgor sprang up. "Hahaha! This is fun!" Accelgor ran off. 

"Wait! Stop! Give those back!" Simisear sprinted after Accelgor despite the massive speed difference.

"Damn it. I'm out. Accelgor added too much absurdity to this falling rock shit. Peace. Have a nice flight Togekiss, I wouldn't want you to get hurt or something. I'm going to go take a nap." Garchomp walked over to the train. Meanwhile, Accelgor was sprinting into the train, Simisear trying to keep up. 

"Now that the nuisances are gone, you can try your hopeless endeavor to bring you safety now." Politoed said. 

"It's not hopeless! I'm a good flier!" Togekiss argued. 

"Fate has decided you shall fly and fly you shall." Shedinja's soft voice drifted through the air as the bug type floated over to the small group. "I simply wish to watch someone try to defy destiny. Escape is impossible." 

"See! Even the bug gets it!" Politoed said. 

"Why are you here?" Gallade, who had been quietly standing off to the side the whole time, spoke.

"I like irony. Togekiss is fated to defy fate. Simply put, fate orchestrates things to form a divine comedy." Shedinja stated. 

"Defiance of fate is the only way to prevail though! Without being firm and telling fate 'no' you can't go anywhere. Fate is just a mirror we like to blame for showing us the consequences of our inner selves." Whimsicott cut in.

"Sorry, what?" Gallade asked

"Fate can be changed with hope. Hope changes our selves, our selves change fate. Simply put, fate is not real, we shape our own lives. Now I'm going to go shape my life away from Shedinja, such a worthless bug. It could be changed." Whimsicott skipped to the train.

"Um, what was that?" Toxicroak asked. 

"Just some idiot's insane ramblings that she probably thought was a pep talk." Politoed stated.  

"Togekiss, ignore Politoed  and Shedinja, just fly and follow the tracks." 

"Can do, Mr. Groucho Bossman. And Toxicroak, what's with the long face, my man? 

Toxicroak shrugged. "I don't know, I just feel something is off but I can't tell what. I just have this feeling. The funny thing is that I'm not even able of sensing this stuff like some others can. Might just be that I can't hear Accelgor running around now. Or it might be that I simply feel like something bad will happen."

"I'll be fine Toxicroak. If it makes you feel better I won't do any flips or stunts and play it somewhat boring and safe. In fact, it took the train like fours hours to get here. I can get back in two. Consider it challenge accepted and challenge completed." Togekiss spread her white wings and jumped off the bridge with a cocky grin in her face. She disappeared off the edge of the bridge before soaring upwards in the cold misty mountain air. With a laugh she flew further into the canyon, almost invisible in the mist. 

Shedinja was whispering quietly now. "The divine know what we do not. They know the key component of laughter."

A stillness grew through the air as Togekiss flew. Toxicroak shuddered, something was wrong. "Togekiss! Fly safely!" 

But Togekiss was too far away to hear Toxicroak. 

CRACK!!

That single, nearly unheard sound flooded through the air and filled everyone with more fear then if the world had flooded and a massive lightening bolt full of burning hatred had come down. A collective gasp rose out from every onlooker. Heads turned towards the source of the frightening sound: the roof of the train.  A single object fell off the roof. A gun. It clattered against the tracks and bounced into the snow. It went unnoticed.

The bullet ripped through the air on an arrow straight charge for Togekiss. Politoed swore under his breath and turned away. Screams came from Toxicroak and Gallade for Togekiss to dive and dodge. 

She finally heard them. Her head snapped back in confusion, not understanding the stream of fast words being shouted at her. A glint of light reflected off the bullet and Togekiss's eyes widened. It was too late. She had just barely begun to dive when it tore into her. With an ear splitting screech, she plummeted, wings flapping uselessly. The white mist enveloped her in its cold embrace. 

A silence followed. A deathly silence none dared break. A silence out of both respect and fear. 

Shedinja broke it without remorse. In a whisper that sounded like a shout in the shattered silence, she spoke. "The crucial aspect of every divine comedy is one simple thing. Every divine comedy is a mortal tragedy."

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Three: Aftermath

Spoiler

"Togekiss! Togekiss! You said two hours damnit! Damn it! Togekiss!" No response came from the yawning white abyss that swallowed the only chance anyone had at getting out. Toxicroak could only stare in disbelief over the edge as his shouts went unanswered. 

"Fate works for no one. Not you. Not I. We are all pawns in her games." Shedinja whispered under her breath. No one heard her over the roaring cries of their own thoughts. None of them knew how to react. 

"Did I just hear a gunshot? What happened?" Toxicroak turned, it was Escavalier. The bug type seemed to be holding his suprise within him, sneaking a few glances about to reassure himself about something or another. 

"No bitch, you obviously didn't just hear a fucking gunshot." Politoed snarked. "It's not like--"

"Togekiss got shot. She's dead." Gallade bluntly interjected. 

"What?!" Escavalier loudly asked. 

Chandelure took that moment to rush into the group, having heard the tail end of the conversation. "Who's dead, Shedinja? Of course she's dead, she's a ghost. I can't bury living people, hah. I heard something out here."

"Togekiss thought she could outfly a damn bullet, stupid bitch." Politoed rudely stated. 

"That's kinda rude to..." Chandelure paused as his brain processed what was said, "Wait. You mean to tell me that someone shot Togekiss?" Surprise filled the ghost's voice. 

Toxicroak grimly nodded, still staring over the edge. 

"Oh shit. Who- who would do this?"  Chandelure asked, worry entering his voice. 

"A psychopath. You would have to be one to murder a total stranger." A velvety smooth voice slid out of Eelektross, who had dragged himself to the group.  "Cacturne should be here soon, I just woke him up." 

"Great. Who would have done this though? And Eelektross, how do you know someone was murdered?" Gallade stated

"I heard a gunshot. That implied that things were not at ease out here. Chandelure also inquired about the murderer's identity. I don't see a gun out here, no one seems to be bleeding, and Chandelure asked a question I've heard on T.V far too many times. It's obvious once you use your head. So who died? Oh, and Gallade, if you're going to collect a list of where people were when the gunshot happened, for the record I was carrying a sleeping Cacturne to his compartment." Eelektross answered. 

"I guess I can cross you off the list as soon as Cacturne can confirm that. Wait. Actually, you said he was asleep, right? That means he can't confirm it." Gallade pointed out. 

"But I can Gallade. Eelektross did move Cacturne in his sleep." Chandelure stated.

"And where were you?" 

"Playing pool."

"With no one to confirm that? Why would you play pool alone?"

"My question is why you're being so nosy. I get you probably blame me for murder. It wasn't me. What I want to know is how you're innocent. It's obvious a murderer would try to make themselves look normal. I'm not saying it was you but, I don't exactly trust you. And it's perfectly normal to play pool alone, so get off my case, please." 

"But you're not on a case. You didn't even bring one. Is it a nice case?" Eyes widened at the voice and heads turned to see Whimsicott had seemingly snuck up out of nowhere. 

"It's an expres--" Chandelure began. 

"Whimsicott. Good to see you out here. Where have you been?" Eelektross politely asked. 

"I've been counting."

"Counting?" Gallade asked.

"Yes counting. It's fun to try to count how many snowflakes are on the ground. You should try it sometime. I lost count after I heard something. It sounded like a.. a... uh, a thing."

"A thing?" Gallade blandly asked. 

"I- I can't remember. It's right there, but like... it's not." 

"Sure. Sure it isn't." Gallade said in a doubtingly sarcastic way.

"Can we not doubt the lady? I forget things all the time, it's nothing. Did I miss the fireworks?" Banette tripped as she rounded around the train car and went spiraling to the ground as she tripped. She got up and moved her hand off her leg. With a slight wince, she grabbed the sewing needle connected to thread that was hanging out of her leg. She started to sew up the large open hole in it. "I tore it open on the way back. The fireworks surprised me, I was just about done and then they made me jerk. I was just finishing the stitching too." 

"Ok, how the hell is everyone sneaking up on us? Especially you with your leg." Gallade asked. 

"You guys argue too much. That's how. So what happened to the fireworks?"

Eelektross spoke before Gallade could. "I don't wish to frighten you, but Togekiss has been murdered."

"What? That's kinda a mean joke to say." Banette stated. 

"It is isn't it. It's ironic. The cruel irony was well chosen. Fate can be cruel." Shedinja said. 

"Please stop. Please. How can you be so stupid to believe that fate rules everything? I'm telling you, fate--" Whimsicott began. 

Politoed rudely cut it, "Shut the fuck up. Both of you. You're giving me a headache. One of you can't stop spouting the fortune teller bullshit and the other speaks like some she's from a child show. My Little Ponyta or some shit like that where friendship is magical bullshit and you can hope your way out of shit. Well that doesn't work in real life." Shedinja and Whimsicott were both taken aback by that. 

Eelektross responded before they could, "Politoed. Please. Don't take your stress out on these two, alright." 

Politoed opened his mouth to respond but was cut off as a loud whoosh filled the air. Everyone turned and stared at the black form speeding their way. Garchomp  "What's with the party? You guys all woke me up. Did Togekiss do a kickass flip off the handle so far the handle fucking broke or something equally awesome?"

Gallade frowned and sighed, actually showing some emotion, "Garchomp, Togekiss is dead.  Someone shot her down." 

Garchomp's eyes widened in confusion with every word that was spoken. "What!? What the fuck guys! Who fucking did it!?" Silence came from everyone. "Who fucking did it!?"

Gallade spoke up, "Garchomp. Please stay calm. We're calling a manhunt once everyone is here."

"Calm?! You expect me to be calm while the fucker who shot Togekiss walks!?" 

"Oy! What's with the shouting? Everyone alright here? I heard a gunshot." Luxray was the one who spoke and following behind him was Kekleon, Cacturne, and Simisear. Leading Luxray was Smeargle. 

"We're fine Luxray. Just a little spooked."

"Great, now that everyone is fucking here, let's go find the bitch who did this!"

"Garchomp, wait! Where were all of you this whole time?" Gallade said. 

"Everyone better have an alibi and you better hope it stands up. I'll go first. I was taking my medicine and if you doubt me, I can I can go bring it to you." Luxray said. 

"That will not be necessary, Luxray," Gallade began, "Me, Politoed, Shedinja, and Toxicroak saw Togekiss get shot. All of us can prove each other innocent."

"I'll go next, I was in the game room playing pool."

"Alone?" Luxray asked. 

"Alone." Chandelure confirmed. 

Eelektross quickly jumped in, "If it's any consolation, I saw him go in the game car at the very least. I was carrying Cacturne to his accommodations right before all this chaos. Cacturne, if you will do confirm that?"

"I fell asleep on the bench and awoke in my cabin. I can only assume it was Eelektross who moved me." Cacturne answered 

"Moving on," Gallade said with a slight tone of irritation, "I say Whimsicott should go next."

Whimsicott shifted unconsciously, "I was staring out the window when it happened. I was counting snowflakes when the gunshot scared me. I saw the gun fall over there." Whimsicott pointed towards a section running alongside the train. 

Luxray stared in that direction, "I'll go get it." Luxray ran towards where Whimsicott pointed, with Smeargle running behind him. 

"I'll go next. I--" Banette barely opened her mouth before Politoed cut her off. "Wait, wait, wait! Is no one going to call out her obvious bullshit on that? Are you actually going to fucking believe she was counting snowflakes? How dumb are you exactly?"

Whimsicott frowned, "But I was counting! I counted 4,139 snowflakes. I almost had 4140."

"You just made that number up, didn't you?" Politoed stared at her with a suspicious glare. Whimsicott appeared not to notice it. 

"Did not!"

"But you did, stop lying!"

"Did not!"

"Can we not? I don't think the others are in the mood for it." Banette waited a moment, "As you know, I was seeing my leg up when it happened."

Politoed laughed, "It took you that long to sew yourself up? What really happened?"

"I might have grabbed a piece of string that was too short. I had to tie two of them together to get the right length and then the knot got in my way. And the scissors didn't want to cooperate with me." Banette sheepishly admitted. 

"Sounds good enough for now. We can clearly see the stitch so you're safe. Kecleon, it's your turn." Gallade said. 

"Okay. I went out to get some air when Togekiss was shot, okay. The air was freezing, still is freezing, but it clears my head."

"So you basically are confessing to seeing a Togekiss get shot? You were outside the train after all." Gallade asked with a suspicious look. 

"I was in the other side of the train." Kecleon quickly answered. 

"Fair enough for now. You're not clear at all but we'll come back to you later. No one else saw you outside alone I assume?"

"No one, yeah. I almost fell off the bridge when the gunshot went off." 

Luxray raced back to the group, with Smeargle shifting nervously behind him. "The gun wasn't there." Luxray stared directly at Whimsicott. "The snow felt kinda warm over there. And fluffy too. Like snow on tv."

Kecleon stared at the snow patch's direction, "Warm?"

"Yeah." Luxray said, "Either the gun was warm went it fell, Whimsicott was lying, or-"

"I didn't lie!" Whimsicott interjected. 

Luxray coughed, "-or a fire type held it." Luxray' head turned to look at the only fire type outside, "Where were you, Simisear?"

The red monkey shifted nervously, "I was chasing Accelgor for my cigarettes." Simisear pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

Garchomp had been sulking on the edge of the gathering. She hadn't even known Togekiss that long, yet they were already fast friends. Had become fast friends would have been more accurate. It was still like a slap to the face to think she had been murdered. She had barely been paying attention to the discussions when her eyes caught a brief snippet of conversation and a single damning action. Her eyes locked on to one thing: Simisear's cigarette. She quickly scanned the group. Accelgor wasn't present. A quiet growl escaped her throat and she backed up a few meters. Her leg muscles tended as she balled her fists and moved her arms firmly to her side. She sprinted forward those few meters she had just backed up and lunged moments before she would come into contact with someone. The Pokémon in front of her dove and ducked out of the way of Garchomp, was was no longer running and instead horizontally gliding at a breakneck speed. Some Pokémon just barely got out of the way and brushed against her jagged skin. She couldn't glide for a long time, but short distances under Mach 1 were no problem for her. Simisear's eyes widened as he noticed Garchomp's reckless flight was directly towards him. He dove out of the way.

Or at least he tried to. He was moments too slow. Garchomp slammed into Simisear, her skin chaffing and cutting him. His cigarette fell into the snow and valiantly flickered lively for a moment before being sniffed out. Simisear's eyes were wide with surprise and fear. Garchomp growled as she kept him pinned down under her. One of her arm blades was dangerously close to his neck. "Accelgor. Where is she?" 

Simisear, in all his panicked glory, answered with a single intelligent word that would certainly get him out of danger. "Wha?"

Garchomp pressed her blade against Simisear's neck, "What. Did. You. Do. To. Accelgor? Tell me."

"I-I locked her in t-the b-bathroom." Simisear stammered. 

A green bladed arm appeared in front of Garchomp's neck, "Garchomp. Get off of him." Gallade' voice was unwavering and demanding. It lacked a single hint of fear. Behind him was Luxray.

Garchomp turned and glared say him, "Fuck off." She turned back to Simisear. "You better hope Accelgor is alright. If she's dead, I will personally allow you to apologize to her in person." Garchomp got up and ran to the train.

A few tense minutes passed in silence as Simisear got up. Some Pokemon were rubbing bruises from their rapid unexpected dives out of Garchomp's way.

Everyone was now standing up when they heard a sound that instilled fear in them as soon as they heard it. A loud cracking, echoing, boom filled the air and the Pokémon outside with dread. With worried, panicked expressions and shaky legs, everyone began to sprint to the train.