Transparency

Zen

After a rather short absence, here's yet another one of our little themed teams.

As you might have guessed from the name, this one revolves around the ability Clear Body. It is for singles in OU.

It is being play-tested currently, and so any discussion below is mere conjecture for now.

---

Metagross @ Focus Sash

Trait: Clear Body

EVs: 160 Atk / 96 Def / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Bullet Punch

- Earthquake

- Ice Punch

- Stealth Rock

---

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef

Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Crunch

- Roar

- Toxic

- Slack Off

---

Regirock @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 SDef

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Smack Down

- Earthquake

- Drain Punch

- Ice Punch

---

Registeel @ Lum Berry

EVs: 64 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk / 96 SDef

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Flash Cannon

- Hidden Power [Ground]

- Charge Beam

- Toxic

---

Regice @ Chople Berry

EVs: 176 Def / 252 SAtk / 80 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Frost Breath

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Charge Beam

- Thunder Wave

---

Tentacruel (F) @ Air Balloon

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Scald

- Ice Beam

- Giga Drain

- Rapid Spin

---

So, that's the basic prototype of it. Considered klinklang for the last slot, but gave it to hippowdon to enable regirock to get a defensive boost, and to give regice's HP Fire more edge against ferrothorn/scizor, as well as to take on all the Hurricanes out there. Not to mention Chlorophyll.

Metagross is a handy lead for various occasions, and the moveset can be varied based on the rest of the team. Decided to go with Earthquake instead of Zen Headbutt thanks to the accuracy, despite the wider type coverage and STAB it would have offered. Metagross also lays down hazards in the form of Stealth Rock. Alternatively, an AgiliGross might work as well. Either way, it jams a few setup leads such as cloyster.

The golem trio are basically made to counter their individual weaknesses. Regirock's combination of bulk, Smack Down, and Earthquake allows it to take out the likes of skarmory/gliscor/thundurus, and Drain Punch is sometimes painful... for the opponent to watch, that is. Regice is more of a stat-buster thanks to Frost Breath, and is equipped to handle steel with HP Fire. Likewise, Registeel has HP Ground to work against opposing Magnet Pull. This on a whole is intended to give the trio the ability to handle threats with minimal switching, though its effectiveness is yet untested.

They also have some poison in there, to handle nasty things like opposing bulk. Regice instead has Thunder Wave since it's the slowest of the lot. Chople Berry and Paralysis may offer the chance of crippling a boosted blaziken or sharpedo to be handled later, even at the cost of regice itself.

Tentacruel's intended as a Spinner, and for some speed in the team. It's faster than everything else in here, but is otherwise the standard speeding tentacruel.

Now, theoretically, I see a large fire weakness in here, namely against heatran. Heatran alone could easily wipe out half this team, while a boosted volcarona may be impossible to take down. Ninetales and blaziken may or may not be that annoying depending on the preceding turns. Chandelure... well, that one's always a wildcard.

Fighters may also annoy this team to a large extent. The therians might pose a threat, but probably only if their weather support holds out. Otherwise, there's probably sufficient bulk in this team to take them on.

After a rather short absence, I too rise from the shadows

• Just a matter of personal taste, but I prefer Rock Polish on Regice rather than Thunder Wave (Registeel can learn that move as well). I've really liked how the Iceberg rolls with Rock Polish, so give it a shot with fixed EVs, you might like it.
  • Metagross's EVs seem to be a little weird. Switch its Speed investment with its Attack investment, for as a stable lead I don't really think Metagross needs that much Speed.

I'm sure I'll think of some more things later.

After a rather short absence, I too rise from the shadows

• Just a matter of personal taste, but I prefer Rock Polish on Regice rather than Thunder Wave (Registeel can learn that move as well). I've really liked how the Iceberg rolls with Rock Polish, so give it a shot with fixed EVs, you might like it.
  • Metagross's EVs seem to be a little weird. Switch its Speed investment with its Attack investment, for as a stable lead I don't really think Metagross needs that much Speed.

I'm sure I'll think of some more things later.

Hmm, Rock Polish sounds feasible, so this calls for experimentation.

Usually I like my metagross a little faster, to allow for a jump with Bullet Punch. But for now, it's all still being experimented with.