Ranking Reborn's Gym Leaders *potential spoilers*

Ethan Hunt

I'm sure there is a lot of threads ranking which of Reborn's rage inducing Leaders are the most rage inducing..But this isnt a list based on which gave you the hardest or easiest time. This is ranking the gym leaders based on their personalities. One of the things Reborn does that I wish the official games did more often, is make the gym leaders actual characters with plot relevance in the game. Whenever you face the evil team in their territory you never go alone,atleast one of the gym leaders help you. I love that. So how does each character rank in your opinion based on character or plotline in the game? Ranking top to bottom from who you like the best to who you like the least with a short reason why you ranked x in number x.

My List is.

1. Terra. From the moment she arrived on the scene with her physics defying hammer and her "lawl so random" sense of humor she instantly became one of my favorite characters in the game.

2. Julia.  Julia's overall happy disposition is a nice break from alot of the doom and gloom and depressing characters in the game

3. Radomus. Not only did i like his chess gym, I just like this character alot, the hat changing and the banter he has with some of the other characters is really amusing.

4. Serra. Out of all of reborn's leaders, Serra is one of the most chill (no pun intended) characters in the game. Even though she has lax attitude she seems the most grounded and normal person in this roster.

5. Charlotte. Even though I have trouble with the logic of someone so strong thats a certified gymleader being locked in an orphanage. Her back story really made me feel for her, I love her competent and no nonsense outlook.

6. Florinia. Definitely the adult in the room. Her nerd speak may annoy some people but I like it, especially when she banters with some of her less educated peers.

7. Shade. Shade is a ghost...nuff said.

8. Adrienn. A little bland imo, but <insert pronoun here> is what a gym leader should be, not only is <insert pronoun here> a tough gym leader, but a great leader in the community as well, can really bring people together.

9.Hardy. I've liked what I  seen so far. Rock on!

10. Shelly.   I really liked the Mt. Ametrine portion of the game where she tagged along "It's not like reading other people's diaries has got anyone into trouble before, right?"  *PC awkwardly looks the other way*

11. Samson and Ciel. I put these two together because the comedic chemistry is hilarious.

12. Saphira.  Anyone who rides a dragon into battle is cool.

13. Luna. bout as vanilla as a $.50 ice cream cone.

14. Noel.    who?....Oh right! that kid with the doll..The maractus of the humans, I forget he exists till someone reminds me of him lol

15. Titania.  I know her attitude is supposed to much her type and all but, but she was legit starting to get on my nerves. Like she wanted her edge to be sharper than her aegislash..she's a little to much of a you know what to suit me.

16. Aya. meh. 

17. Kiki. meh.

18. Corey. Don't like him at all, no offense to anyone who deals with depression but i can't stand when someone tries to force their depression on others.

19. Amaria. LEAST favorite character in the game..again no offense to anyone who struggles or has struggled wth being suicidal, but come on...the wench tried to drown me! For reasons I still dont understand, all her dialogue is quotes from an edgy high schooler's poem book...after her little stunt in the gym I was livid with this character 

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1. Noel - Despite the fact that he seems to be like half my age, we're pretty similar and I believe we would get along. He is also one of the few level-headed characters in the game (and isn't angsty or hyper-active). His personality isn't really a gimmick or over-exaggerated either. He also uses the Normal-type, one of (if not the) best types in Pokemon.

2. Radomus - Cool gym fight concept and character background (at least the chess champion part). Right hat for the right occasion, am I right?

3. Shade - He is no silver-tongued talker, but silence is golden after all. He is also one of the more enjoyable gym leaders to fight.

4. Corey - While you can claim this man is toxic, to me he is more of a tragic character. Two variations of his Corrosive field is also a nice idea.

5. Ciel - In my opinion one of the more challenging gym leaders so far. I still don't understand how she's able to tolerate Terra...

6. Adrienn - This guy alone accomplishes more than what many other gym leaders combined. Bonus points for using Granbull.

7. Charlotte - Another gym leader who gets stuff done, not to mention she has a good head on her shoulders. 

8. Florinia - Smart and rational. Loses points for being by far the easiest gym leader in the game though.

9. Serra - I like her and I hope she gets more character development in future episode(s). The game is nearing it's end and Serra hasn't apparently done anything since the gym battle in Spinel Town.

10. Samson - Too bad we don't see him very much. 

11. Hardy - Come on, pal. Could you please talk about something else than Aya for a change? Otherwise he seems like a cool fellow.

12. Kiki - She faces the same issue as Serra and Samson: they don't have all that much screen time compared to many other gym leaders.

13. Julia - I'm not a huge fan of her hyper-activity. I guess that's still better than trying to kill me (my character) though.

14. Aya - I don't find her particularly likable. At least you can grind levels in Route 3 while traveling with her.

15. Titania - Edgelord.

16. Shelly - W-w-what c-can I e-e-even s-say a-a-about h-her?

17. Saphira - I find her similar to Titania. On the other hand, Saphira just seems to conveniently appear to kill Meteor grunts.

18. Amaria - Screw you.

19. Terra - There's a special place in Hell for you.

Edited by Zargerth
Forgot Luna lol. Oh well.

1. Shade - he's a great guy once you get to know him, and in my last play through, I REALLY got to know him until I caved and caught a mightyena. Plus he's an actual shade, which is really cool.

2. Terra - full disclosure, I read her lines with Tiny Tina's voice and like the glitch world. She's like an Ork in the grim darkness.

3. Radomus - I like someone who stays a step ahead. Really his rating is buoyed by his mystique right now.

4. Titania - Even though she slew my husbando in a terrible misunderstanding, I appreciate her willingness to cut the bullshit. Get it? Because of her -- yeah you get it. Also willing to go through a lot for Amaria even if she ends up regretting it, and said she felt like shit after the aforementioned misunderstanding, so I guess that helps. Also I hear you're no longer forced to read her diary in this episode, so I can pull a reversal with terrible misunderstandings in a future play through.

(Cain would go here if we were rating other characters)

5. Adrienn - aside from being a community leader, xe was the only one smart enough to use his pokemon to escape Lin's trap instead of exhaust them fighting allies.

6. Sapphira - similar reasons to Titania, but she makes me feel less like the protagonist and more like a passenger.

7 (tie). Samson & Ciel - despite Samson not looking like a strong man and Ciel's face looking weird to me in the vs portrait I must have seen 40 times from rematches, I enjoy their dynamic, I think they're exes on good terms or something?

9. Shelly - she'd be higher if the Bugsy angle was dropped because I don't really like that main series tie at all. Her development as a character that you observe over the course of the game is very welcome as a silent protagonist, though.

10. Julia - just because this is the second half of the ratings doesn't mean I dislike her. The way I see it, she's got three close friends who are deep in their own problems while she has none of her own, and she's doing all she can to keep the others from falling into despair using her main asset: her energetic personality.

11. Aya - like a lesser version of the good parts of Shelly, unless there is more interaction with Cain I haven't seen yet (grinding to level up an empoleon for Titania, I have spoiled myself though)

12. Hardy - he left a good first impression but not much else of a later one.

13-17 Noel, Charlotte, Serra, Luna, Kiki - not much of an impression on me. This is probably worse than the last two places because I at least have opinions on them.

18. Rini - not a fan of her robot act. The most interesting thing about her is the nickname her friends give her as a counter to Flobot. Note: I have yet to see the different scene at Celestine manor if you cheese Solaris' garchomp at Pyrous. But since that involves her and fern, that may put her above the indifferents instead of below them.

19. Amaria - I liked the character I saw in the coral district and the factory. It's a shame that's only her mask. Maybe if she finds something to balance her brain chemistry, I'll rate her on the basis of the former character.

20. Corey - yup, rating the two depressed people at the bottom, how original and compassionate of me. Anyway, with that out of the way, here's why: because nobody has made me more frustrated that I'm a silent protagonist than him. He monologues with no ability to interject, and then he offs himself, removing him as an active and potentially interesting participant in the plot. Imagine if he stayed in meteor as a secret traitor, and seeing more interaction with Sirius. Maybe he still dies, but it's for a reason, rather than a lack of reason to exist like with Amaria's use of waterfall without the TMX. That probably wouldn't happen because it'd throw off a lot of other plot elements that are a result of his jumping but still, it's all I've got because my character just stands there and watches without a word. As it stands, his suicide is like most suicides: a tragic waste of potential. The second biggest roadblock to any attempt at writing a fanfiction run of reborn is his scene; the biggest roadblock is taking notes and screenshots as I play through the game.

Aye I see you w/ dat House Stark sigil as your profile pic @Ethan Hunt

1. Charlotte - she's strong, brave, and has a good heart underneath the tough exterior + she has my bro Volcarona. I agreed with her 100% on the whole Ruby Ring scenario as well.

2. Shade - I'm really intrigued with how Shade is possibly connected to Anna and Noel. Ghost is one of my top 5 favorite types as well

3. Shelly - She's really sweet and intelligent and it's encouraging to see her grow up and start standing up for herself

4. Radomus - Pretty chill dude and definitely preferable over his counterpart El during that one arc regarding the grand gates

5. Titania - While she could chill with the murdering of Team Meteor grunts*, I mostly agree with her utilitarian methods and brutal honesty. I also really like Steel types and especially Aegislash. The resemblance to Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail is pretty dope as well.

6. Hardy - He's probably the most chill and laid-back dude in the game, so it's nice to have a break from the angsty/emo characters every once in a while (I actually love how dark and serious Reborn is for the most part, don't get me wrong). Him standing up for Aya to Fern is really sweet, plus I'm sure we can all relate to his disdain for Fern. Not enough screen time of him, so he could easily rise to the top by the end of the game but then again I also really liked Amaria until I discovered that the Reshiram path existed in E17 so who knows.

7. Luna - Another excellent character that hasn't gotten enough screen time. She reminds me a bit of Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, mostly due to the name. The Alice in Wonderland nicknames for her Pokemon are pretty dope as well. Also, I like how despite being associated with an "evil" type, she's actually pretty kind-hearted and laid-back. I hope she can continue defending herself from Bennet's peverted, creepy advances .

8-17: Literally everyone else except Amaria and Terra

18. Amaria - I'm pretty sympathetic to those who struggle with depression/anxiety due to my own battles with these, but attempting to drown the protagonist is where she crossed the fucking line. Water is my favorite type and I actually really liked her from the start to throughout the entire Zekrom path (I really felt bad for her when she learned that Titania didn't really love her). If the Reshiram path didn't exist, she'd probably be my 3rd favorite gym leader just below Charlotte and Shade. But the Reshiram path showed how awful she really is and I don't understand how some people try to romanticize her as some kind of heartbroken tragic heroine (which, to be fair, would've been accurate in the Zekrom path) instead of an immature, manipulative attempted murderer* who very well could join Team Meteor next episode

19. Terra - Yup, she's so damn annoying that she's below the attempted murderer. She's just way too cringe for me when she goes overboard with her RAWR xD type of humor. I wouldn't be surprised to learn if Ame had a fallout with Terra's real-life counterpart b/c that's how unlikable Terra's character is.

*Now, I understand why some people might be confused as to why I like Titania and dislike Amaria despite the fact that Titania has a much higher kill count. I don't necessarily agree with Titania's killing, but at least her reasoning is to protect humanity from a terrorist organization. Amaria attempts to murder someone (the protagonist) who has been protecting the world from Team Meteor for no justifiable reason.

Edited by GreenDecidueyeArrow
Added rankings for Hardy and Luna + I had inadvertently swapped Shelly and Titania's rankings