Pokemon Mystic Idea

Matt_

Intro 

Hello! I have been planning Pokemon Mystic for a while now, and I want to pitch out some of my ideas before I started seriously working on it. I made one of these a while ago, and I got a lot of really good feedback, so I am curious about what people have to say. 

Story 

Pokemon Mystic will have two different playable protagonists with different teams. One of them is a 16 year old girl named Sofia living in a peaceful and harmonious present day, and the other is an 8 year old boy named Zachary living in the region centuries prior in a world where Pokemon are seen and used merely as tools. Sofia's story acts as the primary story, while Zachary's adventure reveals important details about the history of the region and its people. The one aspect that connects Sofia and Zachary is the power of the Mystics. Mystics are a people that can fuse together with their Pokemon in battle. In Sofia's time, Mystics are nothing but a fairy tale, although unbeknownst to her, Sofia is actually a Mystic herself. When the supposed government group, The Society of Knowledge attacks Sofia's home territory searching for Mystics, her sisters are captured and the rest of the territory is massacred. Just before being captured herself, Sofia is rescued by a enigmatic man named Zen who claims to be the leader of the terrorist group, the White Eagles, and that they are a safe haven for Mystics like her. Can Sofia trust Zen? And why was her home territory suddenly destroyed by a government research group? Only time will tell.

Setting

Present Day

The Cerros Region, a region split into 18 territories for each type, has lived peacefully ever since the Prime Minister overthrew the dictatorship and turned the country into a Democracy 30 years prior. Although, recently the White Eagles, an allegedly pro-anarchy terrorist group, was reported to have been disrupting the peace throughout the Cerros Region. 

Past 

The Cerros Region is a Monarchy ruled by a greedy king and supported by an even greedier noble class. The poor are constantly struggling to survive, and many have taken to enslaving and selling Pokemon. Throughout both the noble class and the common folk, Pokemon are regarded as nothing but tools. Even the kindest of people couldn't recognize or acknowledge Pokemon as living beings. Zachary and his family reside in the slums of the capital city, Darkhok.

Eureka Academy

Eureka Academy is an elite battling school in the present day Cerros Region that any trainer skilled enough can get into, regardless of background, wealth, or status. Many of the regions top trainers are graduates, and have come back to teach. One lesser known fact about Eureka Academy is that they have classes designed to train Mystics. Only members of the actual class are aware, along with the higher-ups of the school. Eureka Academy is constantly scouting the region for Mystics for both the purposes of protecting the Mystics and protecting the truth of their existence. 

A Few Characters 

Spoiler

Sofia 

Sofia is the protagonist living in the present day Cerros Region. She is 16 and her main Pokemon, and the Pokemon she can fuse with is Alolan-Vulpix. She lived a sheltered life due to her over-protective father and the easy living of the normal territory, her home territory, but has always struggled with a jealousy for her twin sister, Sara. Sofia always lost to Sara in everything, establishing a strong insecurity and lack of self-confidence within her. Even so, she is kind and sarcastic, and she strongly disagrees with violence towards other people. Sofia believes there is always another way to solve your problems other than hurting people. 

Zen

Zen is the leader of the White Eagles and can fuse with his Greninja. He is very mysterious, and shares nothing of his past. He is very pragmatic and sees the entire world in percentages and numbers, and believes any sacrifice is justifiable if it brings about enough happiness to make up for the despair caused from the sacrifice. He won't hesitate to kill 2 people to save 3, or kill one of his closest friends to save a group of people. At the same time, he doesn't believe in pointless suffering or killing. He will only cause suffering to prevent a greater suffering. Due to his ideals, he has many moral disputes with Sofia.

Hestia 

Hestia is the daughter of the chief of the fire territory, and she became the heir to the territory when her twin brother, Helios, ran off several years before. She is also a Mystic who can fuse with her Cyndaquil. Since Hestia wanted to explore the region, she holds a deep grudge against her brother for abandoning his responsibilities. Instead of exploring the region, she is sent to Eureka Academy to become stronger to rule the rowdy fire territory. Despite her situation, she is courageous and responsible, and surprisingly a little bit flirty. Although, she doesn't know how to rely on others. Whenever she is suffering, she bottles it in and feigns cheerfulness. 

Lucas 

Lucas is a normal student of Eureka Academy who is one of the few people to know about the existence of Mystics in modern day. He is the only member of his family who isn't a Mystic, and he was always treated with less importance in comparison to his siblings. Eventually, he ran away and was accepted into Eureka Academy where he hoped to become strong enough to fight Mystics on equal footing. He connects easily with Sofia due to their shared trait of feeling inferior to their family and those around them. In terms of personality, he is determined and stands up for others. Although, he has serious mood swings and often ends up hurting those close to him. 

Riley 

Riley is a girl who grew up on the streets in the dark territory. She is a Mystic who fused with her Weavile and a student of Eureka Academy. She learned to fight for herself and to trust nobody. She was sexually abused by her uncle as a child before she killed him and started surviving on her own. It wasn't long before the rumors had spread about a Mystic terrorizing the streets of the dark territory, and she received a recommendation for Eureka Academy. Riley became a student to become stronger and ultimately further benefit herself. She is cold and distant, and has never known how to or had an opportunity to care for anybody besides herself and Weavile.

Zachary 

Zachary is the protagonist living in an ancient Cerros Region, centuries before Sofia was born. Zachary begins his story as a 8 year old kid living with his parents and fraternal twin in a world where Pokemon are treated as mere objects to be used. Unlike the rest of society, Zachary and his twin brother Louie were born with an unheard of compassion for Pokemon. Their parents did their best to hide this fact from society to avoid the family from being rejected and shunned or worse. Zachary is a courageous person who wants both Pokemon and people to live together peacefully.

Louie 

Louie is the fraternal brother of Zachary, and one of the two people from the past who care for Pokemon. While Zachary wants people and Pokemon to live together in peace, Louie develops a hatred for people at a young age for the atrocities they carelessly commit against Pokemon. He thinks that harmony between Pokemon and people is impossible, because people can't even live in harmony with each other.

*Note that Louie and Zachary will experience many time-leaps throughout their story on a few years at a time, and will not be 8 for the entire game.

Features 

- Gen 3 styled graphics -

- Pokemon and Trainer fusion - 

- 18 territories based on the types -

- No gym leaders or league of any kind, but many of the territory chiefs/leaders will be fought - 

- A unique world with characters on all sides fighting for what they believe in - 

- Conflicted characters striving to surpass their problems -

- Two playable protagonists - 

- Both a modern world and a medieval world - 

Mystics

Spoiler

Mystics are one of the primary unique features of this game, and will function somewhat similarly to DNA Splicers. Once Sofia is able to fuse at will, you will be able to fuse using a keyboard button, and the overworld sprite will transform as well as the Alolan-Vulpix in your party. Alolan-Vulpix does not have to be in your party to fuse for overworld purposes, but obviously it must be in your party if you plan to use the fusion in battle. Later in the game, other specific event Pokemon will develop bonds strong enough to fuse with Sofia, and they will be used as HM replacements. For example, you could fuse with a water type and then surf across an ocean, or with a flying type and fly around the region. There will also be certain puzzles and plot events when you will have to fuse with a specific Pokemon to move forward. When there are more than one Pokemon available for fusion, you will select one of the Pokemon, and only that Pokemon will fuse with Sofia in your party. Therefore, you can only fuse with one Pokemon per battle. Although, one negative of fusing with your Pokemon is that if the fusion faints, than the battle will be lost since Sofia will be knocked unconscious. Note that these ideas are viable to revision and change, especially if they are unrealistic or impossible to implement.

Anyways, please give feedback on my ideas for Pokemon Mystic. I want your honest opinion, since that will help me further develop my ideas. So, don't feel bad about bashing certain areas or expressing disapproval. Also, some help with the game would be very much appreciated. My progress has been very slow since I have no artistic ability, and can't even complete the simplest spriting tasks, so help in that department would be incredible, and probably necessary if I want to get this game going. I have fair experience with Ruby, and have recently started getting more into RGSS, but programming help would still be appreciated. Honestly, anybody who is interested in lending a hand would be really helpful.

I remember your idea about mystics from your other post! It's great that you continue working on it, adding new stuff and changing others.

about the 2 main characters: Will they get the same screen time, or will the one from the past be used so as to reveal some needed information to the player from the past? Personally, I would prefer the later since the constant switching from past to present and vice versa might get a bit tiresome. But it might be just me :)

about mystics: Apart from seeing a mystic fusing with a pokemon, are there any other features that indicate that person is actually a mystic? I am quite curious since both the government and the terrorist group knew that Sofia was a mystic while she didn't even know it herself. 

All in all, this sounds really interesting. Keep up the good job and don't worry about the slow progress. Good things require time!

6 minutes ago, groniack said:

I remember your idea about mystics from your other post! It's great that you continue working on it, adding new stuff and changing others.

about the 2 main characters: Will they get the same screen time, or will the one from the past be used so as to reveal some needed information to the player from the past? Personally, I would prefer the later since the constant switching from past to present and vice versa might get a bit tiresome. But it might be just me :)

about mystics: Apart from seeing a mystic fusing with a pokemon, are there any other features that indicate that person is actually a mystic? I am quite curious since both the government and the terrorist group knew that Sofia was a mystic while she didn't even know it herself. 

All in all, this sounds really interesting. Keep up the good job and don't worry about the slow progress. Good things require time!

The present protagonist will get more screen time, but the past protagonist will still do more than just reveal information about the regions history. There is somewhat of an overarching story between the two times, they are not totally separate stories in the same world, even though it may sometimes appear that way. In terms of Mystics, it is an ability that passes down through genes, so it is like a genetic trait. In the present day story, they have the technology to test whether somebody is a Mystic or not.

4 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

The present protagonist will get more screen time, but the past protagonist will still do more than just reveal information about the regions history. There is somewhat of an overarching story between the two times, they are not totally separate stories in the same world, even though it may sometimes appear that way. In terms of Mystics, it is an ability that passes down through genes, so it is like a genetic trait. In the present day story, they have the technology to test whether somebody is a Mystic or not.

oh I see. Makes sense! You seem to have put a lot of thought in this.

Good luck with this project.