Volt turn

Conor

At a Glance

649-burn.gif591.gif479-heat.gif212.gif121.gif373.gif

I really wanted to make a Volt turn team. they seem to dominate me on the PO ladder and there seems to be nothing i can do about them. I thought, with that much potential, i probably could do a decent job of making a non derpish team.

Team Building Process

479-heat.png212.png

Well, I found out that the start of any volt turn would be Scizor and Rotom. U turn in Scizor, and a volt switch Pokemon in Rotom. I know the standard is Rotom W, but i knew there was a bulky water Pokemon that i had been meaning to try out my own set for. So i chose to use Rotom H instead. it covers Scizor's fire weakness just as well as Rotom W

479-heat.png212.png121.png

Here was this bulky water type i wanted to try out. i came up with a defensive set for him, by realizing his typing is perfect for tanking fighting and rock moves. He also has Rapid spin and recovery capabilities. extremely useful for a team switching out so often. Right now, fire on scizor can be resisted by Rotom and Starmie. Rotom H's weaknesses of fire and rock are both covered by starmie. starmie's weaknesses of ghost, grass, and bug are all walled by Scizor, and his electric weakness is covered by Rotom H. Also, forgot to mention, with the evs i;ve given to Starmie, it can outspeed anything with base 100 speed, while still having bulkiness.

479-heat.png212.png121.png649-chill.png

Next, i thought i might need another u turn, or volt switch Pokemon. I thought Gensect would be the perfect choice because he can u turn out, and be a special attack sweeper. he also fit in as my lead pokemon. He also fit perfectly because his weaknesses are the same as scizor, which are covered by the rest of the team.

479-heat.png212.png121.png649-chill.png591.png

Next i thought, all of these Pokemon couldn't really put any kind of a dent in sandstorm or rain. Breloom and Serperior were both in my mind when i thought about this. Breloom became the choice because he has spore. the problem with breloom tho, is that he i couldn't use him by sending him in and out. also, he lacked the necessary bulk to tank hits on a switch in. I then thought, what pokemon has bulk, able to spread spore, and recover hp. Amoonguss was the perfect choice. he can wall close to all rain and sand teams. he can come in, send out spore, use clear smog to ruin set ups, and recover hp from regenerator. he was the perfect Pokemon to fit what i needed. his weaknesses of fire, ice, and flying are all blocked by Rotom alone, as well as other pokemon on the team. his psychic weakness is covered by Scizor, and genesect.

479-heat.png212.png121.png649-chill.png591.png373.png

the last thing the team needed was a pokemon to clean up end game. Salamence was the first pokemon to come to mind. he can easily just end a game with his huge attack stat, speed, and ability of moxie. another plus to having salamence i found out later is that he covers the fire weakness that 1/2 of my team has. he has been woking perfectly, but i still dont know whether i prefer to run a choice set, or a DD set yet.

Sets

649-burn.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Download

EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd

Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)

- U-turn

- Flamethrower

- Ice Beam

- Thunder

self explanatory, Genesect set is self explanatory. Choice scarf lead. u turn out if i cant knock em out. flamethrower, thunder, and ice beam all for coverage.

591.gif

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Clear Smog

- Spore

- Giga Drain

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ammongus is a sp def wall. spore to spread status. giga drain for stab / recovery . hidden power fire for steels.

479-heat.gif

Rotom (Rotom-H) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Overheat

- Trick

- Will-O-Wisp

My volt switcher. volt switches out for wearing away at opponents hp. overheat for massive damage and stab. trick to stop set ups. will o wisp to stop phsyical attackers after a trick.

212.gif

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band

Trait: Technician

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

Adamant Nature

- U-turn

- Pursuit

- Bullet Punch

- Superpower

The standard U turn band Scizor. Pursuit to catch the psychic pokemon switching out. Bullet punch for stab / priority. superpower for hitting steels. U turn, pursuit, and bullet punch all get a boost form technician too!

121.gif

Starmie @ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 20 HP / 236 Def / 252 Spd

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Scald

- Thunder Wave

- Recover

- Rapid Spin

My own Starmie set. Defensive evs for extra walling against close combat, hi jump kick, and stone edge. Scald for damaging and possible burns against physical sweepers its walling. rapid spin to send away hazards since i switch in and out a lot. recover to recover that damage that you get over time after tanking hit after hit. natural cure also helps to beat toxic stallers.

373.gif

Salamence (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Outrage

- Stone Edge

- Brick Break

- Dragon Dance

Late game sweeper. Salamence is a boss at cleaning up at the end of a match. DD to boost up stats. Stone edge for flying. Outrage for powerful stab, and brick break for taking out steels and ferrothorn. I can't decide if i might want to switch this for a scarf set or not. any thoughts?

You need an explanation of each your Pokémon.

In Genesect, you can try put Thunderbolt instead of Thunder. Thunder has a very low accuracy without rain. and in Scizor, i recommend put Adamant nature instead of Hardy, since you are not using any move of Special Category.

Very nice team i have played it before and you almost beat me xP. the only thing i could suggest would be to give salamance moxie instead or intimidate since it already has a sash so its going to live one move regardless and moxie makes salamance way better at a late game sweep. gl with team :DDDDDDDDDDDDd

Ryan C here. This is a cool team, but there's something that bugs me about this team.

• There's a possibility that you could end up U-turning for Amoonguss if it comes down to it. That is a place that you do not want to be stuck in at all. U-turn teams are built (for the most part) on speed, and Amoonguss will bring your team down a lot, especially if it doesn't know U-turn. You also have to be very careful, as it almost instantly drops if you send it out against a faster threat, such as PH Gliscor, Heatran, or any Dragon. You're much better off with something that's significantly faster like Victreebel or Lilligant, even if it can't get the 100 accuracy Spore. Turning to a faster Pokemon keeps the opponent from possibly getting two attacks on you before you can do anything. Hell, go with Jumpluff if you want. It can learn Sleep Powder AND U-turn, but it means you have two pokemon that are double-weak to Ice.
  • I'm staring at a team that could work incredibly well in sunlight. Like, stupidly well in sunlight. You can transform this into a sun team with only one or two changes, notably the above and swapping Genesect for a Heat Rocker or Ninetales. Starmie, believe it or not, is actually a really good Water-type in Sun as it can pump out SolarBeams for coverage, as you might not want to run Scald.

Next i thought, all of these Pokemon couldn't really put any kind of a dent in sandstorm or rain.
Scizor is actually a good counter to sand and ice teams as it has access to Bullet Punch and Superpower. Edited by rc52

Hey Conor,

This is a really good start to a volt turn team, it looks like it would be very tough to face off against. I recently just made a similar team so I think I can help with the team building process.

A volt turn team operates on momentum; you need to constantly be switching in and out to put offensive pressure on the opponent, forcing him to react to your moves. The main problem I see with your team is that your team has a few members that instantly kill momentum. In order to keep momentum up, ideally every team member should have a volt turn move. With this in mind, I suggest the following (ps I'm not suggesting you make all of the changes, but just pick and choose which ones you like):

-Xatu over Starmie. Starmie kills your momentum in two ways: First, it has no u turn move and second, you need to waste a precious turn spinning away hazards, giving your opponent a chance to capture the momentum. Xatu on the other hand has access to u turn and can automatically bounce hazards back with magic mirror without wasting a turn. Plus it is a great physical wall with a sick 4x resist to fighting which will definitely come in handy.

-Lanturn over Amoonguss. Amoonguss is not a bad idea on a u turn team since you can switch it in and out to keep it healthy, plus it can really cripple the opponent if given an opportunity. Lanturn works almost the same way, as a bulky special wall (with key resistances to ice, water, and fire), and also learns volt switch. It can also support the team by spreading status or keeping it healthy with heal bell.

-Rotom-w kind of outclasses Rotom-h, that fire typing is just bleh. Water types have much fewer weaknesses than fire types, and while overheat can hit steel, grass, and ice super effectively, a) Rotom-w resists steel, and B) Scizor 4x resists grass and can wreck ice with bullet punch.

-I second Kamina's suggestion of scarf moxie mence. The idea is to wear the opponent down with volt turn, and then when they are around 40% or so, scarfmence can plow through the entire team with its moxie boosts.

Hope this helps!