Your Pokemon Traditions

Venonaut97

Reborn and Rejuvenation is honestly the only Pokemon games I play now, so my traditions are specifically focused on them. Most of these aren't really "traditions", but more of how I play the game. This will probably be a lot, but anywho..

• I only use Pokemon that I actually like. Seems like a simple rule, but in specific, I avoid using certain Pokemon that can be very effective against a fight if I don't like them. For example, Zigzagoon can easily pacify Julia with Mud Sport, but I didn't use him because I don't prefer Zigzagoons. The Pokemon I like though, are usually unconventional and mostly underrated ones. I do still catch some special Pokemon though, like the limited events, but I never use them.
  • Adding to that, when I catch a Pokemon, they must become a permanent part of my rotation. I make sure that I use those Pokemon at least more than once. I usually rotate my team after a gym fight, to spice things up a lot more.
  • I actually also don't use nicknames. Considering that I end up usually filling at least 2 boxes of the PC, I just can't be bothered to think of a specific special name for all of them. Usually though, I only use nicknames for the special "main" Pokemon I have for each rotation.
  • I always keep the levels of my team stacking just as how a gym leader does. With 1 to 2 levels of difference for each Pokemon. Like, my first and second Pokemon being level 70, the next 2 being 71-72, then onwards. It's a really really nitpicky thing to do, but that's just how tingy I am with my Pokemon.
  • As for IVs and EVs, I don't particularly care for the former, but I definitely EV train them. Though, I only do this at a significant point in the game when the leaders also start using EV'd up Pokemon, which I think starts with Charlotte in Reborn. Unsure for Rejuvenation. Adding to that, I also actually don't care much for Natures either. Natures are one of the things that help me make a Pokemon more unique, so I don't try to change them. They don't really have much that big of an impact anyway, considering the options that I have.
  • I also rarely use items mid-fight. If I'll ever be using items mid-fight, I limit to like 3 healing potions, just like how most leaders do. 
  • I'm very obsessive with exploring an entire area. I need to find all the items there, do all the mining rocks, scout out hidden items, and all possible secrets. The plot can wait.
  • This is a specific rule that you can only really do in fangames since they allow sprite editing, but I always make a player character sprite for myself. I currently have 4 different characters I use on Reborn and Rejuvenation together, and both of them are in specific styles for the game. If I'm not feeling lazy, I even incorporate outfits for them, like a winter-esque outfit for Reborn when the character reaches Ametrine. Here's the character I've been using in my current E17 Reborn playthrough.

F14ZawLrTt2k5KeLv7tGfQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I've played most of the official games, but I used to have a couple traditions like that there. The main ones were that I wouldn't ever have one of my pokemon fight a pokemon of the same evolutionary line (I'd switch out or run away if they ended up in battle against each other) and that if there was a pokemon that looked like a specific pokeball, I had to catch it in that ball. (Which is how I ended up spending an hour or two in Emerald trying to catch Groudon in a Poke Ball and Kyogre in a Great Ball).

In Reborn, I've developed a couple different ones. I always give my team nicknames that fit some coherent pattern, and with the exception of my most recent playthrough they're always units or scales of measurement - Fahrenheit, Newton, Mohs, Brix, etc. The other one is just EV training right before entering Agate; kind of more a strategy thing than a tradition, but I do it every time, so I think it counts.