Frigid Menace

Valkyria

For those who aren't familiar, the Monotype tier has the following rules:

- ALL pokemon on the team must share a type. So-called "wild cards" are not allowed.

- For the PO server's Monotype Ladder: Dream World abilities are not allowed.

Although Reborn doesn't have an official Monotype ladder, I've still had many intense battles with other monotype enthusiasts on the server. In a tier such as this, trainers occasionally encounter matchups that they simply cannot win, regardless of how talented they are. Normal vs Fighting, Fighting vs Psychic, Psychic vs Dark. While my monoice team is no exception, it does fare reasonably well against its weaknesses, most notably fighting.

The Frigid Menace peaked at #2 on PO's Monotype Ladder with a rating of 1447. Competitively, it has been my most successful.

460.gif

Boreas (Abomasnow) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Snow Warning

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Blizzard

- Giga Drain

- Focus Blast

- Protect

On a ladder where his archnemesis Ninetales doesn't have Drought, and Politoed doesn't have Drizzle, Abomasnow is the ideal lead for a monoice team. Against slower leads, he can break sashes with Protect and possibly go for the OHKO with a 100% accurate STAB Blizzard keeping his own sash unbroken. Hippowdown (hippopotas too) and Tyranitar are the only two other pokemon that can set up permaweather. Both are outsped by Abomasnow, and are hit hard with STAB Giga Drain or 4x super-effective Focus Blast, respectively.

91.gif

Poseidon (Cloyster) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Skill Link

EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin

- Icicle Spear

- Toxic Spikes

- Ice Shard

Cloyster often functions as an offensive pokemon, but his collosal defence also makes him a reliable spinner. As monoice is weak to Steal Rock, Cloyster is essential to my team. No only does he allow teammates such as Froslass and Mamoswine to keep their sashes, but he can also set up two layers of Toxic Spikes. As monotype teams are by definition less diverse than standard teams, very rarely will the opponent be able to remove them. In the hundreds of monotype battles I've fought, I've never once been paired against a monopoison in a ranked match. In conjunction with Stallrein, 2x Toxic Spikes is a deadly, and often unexpected weapon.

478.gif

Khione (Froslass) (F) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Snow Cloak

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Hail

- Blizzard

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Destiny Bond

This speedy ghost blocks rapid spins and plays superhero against monofighting teams. With the combination of high speed, focus sash and destiny bond, Froslass can be counted on to take out multiple opponents. With Snow Cloak, opponents also have a 1 in 5 chance of missing every time.

473.gif

Antaeus (Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Snow Cloak

EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Ice Shard

- Endeavor

- Earthquake

The physical attacker of my team, Mamoswine shares Froslass' Snow Cloak ability, making him equally dangerous, if not more. Against a threatening, faster opponent, he uses Endeavor at full HP, bringing the opponent to 1, who then gets finished off by Hail. Against a slower, threatening opponent, he can set up Stealth Rock, take a hit, and then Endeavor. Against non-threatening opponents, he can set up Stealth Rock, and lash out with STAB Earthquake and priority Ice Shard.

365.gif

Oceanus (Walrein) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Ice Body

EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Protect

- Substitute

- Surf

- Roar

Stallrein, but with Surf instead of Blizzard, and Roar instead of Toxic. I turn to him every time Cloyster sets up 2 layers of Toxic Spikes. Very few moves can OHKO him, and he's almost always able to set up a substitute. Once he does, he can Protect to restore HP twice per turn with Ice Body and Leftovers. Against faster opponents, he uses Substitute even if he already has one up. Against slower opponents, he can hit with STAB Surf and then set up a sub against next turn. In both cases, he just waits until the toxic poison gets exponentially higher every turn.

646.gif

Ourea (Kyurem) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Glaciate

- Draco Meteor

- Focus Blast

- Blizzard

In terms of raw strength, Kyurem is the strongest on my team. He also happens to be the fastest. Scarfed users are much more viable on the monotype tier than standard tiers, as a super effective against one of your opponent's pokemon tends to be super effective against the rest of them as well (they need to share a type, remember?). He's usually the endgame sweeper, when Hail damage, Stealth Rock damage and Toxic Spikes damage have taken their toll. With STAB Blizzard and Draco Meteor backing a mammoth 130 base SpA, he can obliterate weakened teams.

As previously mentioned, this team deals with monofighting pretty well. The two teams that give it the most trouble are monosteel and monobug, with special mention going out to Scizor and Volcarona.

How would you fare against a generic ground monotype?

True, you have the type advantage, but hippowdon usually has lower speed than abomasnow, which ensures that sand goes up instead of hail. Couple that with hippowdon's SR, and things can get tricky. Yes, you could switch in cloyster, but most hippowdon users would either Roar your cloyster back out, or swap in a nidoking - incidentally, a ground-type that can also vanish your TSpikes and at the same time kill abomasnow quite easily (Flamethrower/Sludge Bomb). Or a donphan could Spin away the hazards.

There's also the issue of dugtrio with its Arena Trap and high speed, along with other seemingly unlikely candidates such as golurk, who have access to some nasty moves and also speed boosts.

I could also raise the merits of a rock monotype, but that's a little on the unfair side of critique since it has the type-trump on you. However, the rock-types do have an edge despite their low speed - Stockpile cradily with Toxic could actually do some nasty damage to you if the rocks keep their sand up.

But against opponents without their own weather... I'd say this team could do well. Barring of course those lousy heatran/genesect that seem to be saturating the tiers nowadays. Even scizor isn't as annoying as them, frankly.

No way I'll ever lose to a monoground. I won't switch out against a Hippowdon lead simply because a maxed SpA Abomasnow can suck it dry with STAB Giga Drain, and resists his STAB Earthquake. The type difference for the opponent is insurmountable.

Also, Froslass is quick and also know hail.

Edited by Valkyria

No way I'll ever lose to a monoground. I won't switch out against a Hippowdon lead simply because a maxed SpA Abomasnow can suck it dry with STAB Giga Drain, and resists his STAB Earthquake. The type difference for the opponent is insurmountable.

Also, Froslass is quick and also know hail.

You could still lose to a ground monotype if you're not careful - some ground players would happily sacrifice hippowdon to feint against you (weird, but it does happen - and I've lost to a ground monotype that way before).

Froslass having manual Hail is good, but she's still vulnerable to SR (there goes the Sash). So really, it'll almost be a question of whether you choose to swap abomasnow out for cloyster/froslass.

If they sacrifice Hippowdon, they're dead. Switch back in abomasnow to reinstate permanent hail, and sweep with 100% accurate, super effective, STAB Blizzards, available on 3 different pokemon.

Monoground lacks special attackers, meaning cloyster can easily tank a hit and spin away hazards.

Froslass can set up Hail before she takes sandstorm damage.

Monoground doesn't even come close to being a threat.

Obviously the only way to settle this is through a battle. You guys can make a monoground specifically to beat my monoice. In fact, you have access to absolutely every aspect of my team, down to the EV investments.

Challenge me the next time you see me online. I'm always looking forward to good monotype battle.

Edited by Valkyria

If they sacrifice Hippowdon, they're dead. Switch back in abomasnow to reinstate permanent hail, and sweep with 100% accurate, super effective, STAB Blizzards, available on 3 different pokemon.

Monoground lacks special attackers, meaning cloyster can easily tank a hit and spin away hazards.

Froslass can set up Hail before she takes sandstorm damage.

Monoground doesn't even come close to being a threat.

Obviously the only way to settle this is through a battle. You guys can make a monoground specifically to beat my monoice. In fact, you have access to absolutely every aspect of my team, down to the EV investments.

Challenge me the next time you see me online. I'm always looking forward to good monotype battle.

Challenge accepted.

Ground types are too strong.

If I ever do run into you online, then, some experimentation would be in order :)

And what's this about the ground monotype lacking special attackers? Nidoking, nidoqueen, claydol, torterra, gastrodon, or even stunfisk would beg to disagree with you. And if it's a question of reliable special attackers, those mentioned above usually do reasonably well, with the possible exception of stunfisk.

• 4 weeks later...