Kuro's Team E16 Edition - Please Offer Suggestions!

KuroCovers

Hello, all! I wanted to ask the forum for suggestions to improve this in-game team. Since we now have access to quite a few high-tier 'mons, I decided to update my team for E16. Please be as thorough as possible when criticizing the team; every little piece of advice helps!

Also, the EV spreads are rather arbitrary on some of these Pokemon. I'm no professional when it comes to creating specialized EV spreads, and I have no idea what EVs the in-game trainers have on their Pokemon, if they even have any at all. As such, I just picked some numbers that either aimed to round out a Pokemon's stats or focused on a certain role. Apologies if the randomness throws anybody off.

Swampert w/Leftovers; Adamant; Torrent; Either 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP ("Speedy" Physical Attacker) or 252 Atk/104 Def/104 SpDef/26 HP/22 Spd (More well-rounded bulky attacker)

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Ice Punch

Roserade w/Black Sludge; Timid; Poison Point/Natural Cure; 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 HP (Extrasensory & Toxic Spikes with Poison Point for status spreading (Extrasensory handles Poison-types that switch in and absorb T-spikes), Dazzling Gleam & Sleep Powder with Natural Cure for Special Attacker that spreads sleep)

- Leaf Storm

- Venoshock

- Dazzling Gleam/Extrasensory

- Sleep Powder/Toxic Spikes

Volcarona w/Wise Glasses; Timid; Flame Body; 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 HP

- Flamethrower

- Bug Buzz

- Giga Drain

- Quiver Dance

Sylveon w/Leftovers; Bold; Pixilate; 252 SpAtk/132 HP/54 Def/44 SpDef/26 Spd

- Hyper Voice

- Hidden Power Fire (31/0/31/30/31/30 IV Spread)

- Wish

- Toxic

Goodra w/Brightpowder (will be Assault Vest when I get access to that. You have to renovate the railnet for that, correct?); Timid/Bold; Sap Sipper (Just because of the grass immunity); 248 SpAtk/132 Spd/76 Def/52 Hp

- Dragon Pulse

- Flamethrower

- Sludge Wave

- Muddy Water

Metagross w/Life Orb; Adamant; Clear Body; 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef

- Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch

- Zen Headbutt

- Ice Punch

- Thunder Punch

Well, apologies for the length of that post. I am more than willing to clarify anything, if need be. I also have quite a few reserve Pokemon available, but I don't currently have my laptop, and I can't remember them all of the top of my head, so I'll add them when I get a chance. Thank you, and I look forward to your advice!

24 minutes ago, Chessdude said:

Team looks good :)

Don't really see much fault in it and should help you clear the game without much difficulty

Dual Flying types may cause some inconvenience to you 

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

I agree with the post above, an extremely solid team. And for Swampert, I don't suggest investing in speed since even when fully speedy it is still pretty slow due to its awful base 60 speed.

Alright, duly noted. I'll go with the second spread for Swampert, but I'll take those 22 Speed EVs and invest them in HP instead. I appreciate the reviews both of you gave! Thank you!

My only problem with this team comes to mind when fighting Deliverance(Amaria's lapras) in an unfavorable field (any of the water fields INCLUDING murkwater). Freeze-dry, surf and ice beam are a serious threat especially when his entire team except the 4 times weak swampert, gets slowed.

2 hours ago, Rapple said:

Personally I would switch out Swamperts Rock Slide for Stealth Rocks. He is bulky enough to set them up and attack afterwards. I don't think enemies will use many clearing moves.

I've considered this, but completely forgot about until now. I'll try both out and see which works better. Thank you!

1 hour ago, FairFamily said:

My only problem with this team comes to mind when fighting Deliverance(Amaria's lapras) in an unfavorable field (any of the water fields INCLUDING murkwater). Freeze-dry, surf and ice beam are a serious threat especially when his entire team except the 4 times weak swampert, gets slowed.

Oh man, I completely forgot about Deliverance (actually, Amaria's battle in general. She's a cool character, but the possibility of her being next episode's gym leader completely slipped my mind). I didn't factor in field effects when making this team, but I know I have a few Pokémon like Magnezone and Gengar (not sure if Levitate avoids the slowdown; I don't have my computer to check) to handle Amaria. Granted, I'll probably use something to change the field, but still... This is a new angle of gameplay I have to focus on when building my teams. Thanks for this advice! 

Edited by KuroCovers

2 minutes ago, KuroCovers said:

I've considered this, but completely forgot about until now. I'll try both out and see which works better. Thank you!

Oh man, I completely forgot about Deliverance (actually, Amaria's battle in general. She's a cool character, but the possibility of her being next episode's gym leader completely slipped my mind). I didn't factor in field effects when making this team, but I know I have a few Pokémon like Magnezone and Gengar (not sure if Levitate avoids the slowdown; I don't have my computer to check) to handle Amaria. Granted, I'll probably use something to change the field, but still... This is a new angle of gameplay I have to focus on when building my teams. Thanks for this advice! 

levitate and flying does not stop underwater, but on the surface field (water surface and murrk water) these pokemon are safe. Don't forget gengar is still getting slowed because gen 7 will come in e17 and gengar will get cursed body. Also if you want to deal with the field's slowing your only way to remove the field is to freeze it over with blizzard or generate a new field with a move like electric terrain.

8 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

levitate and flying does not stop underwater, but on the surface field (water surface and murrk water) these pokemon are safe. Don't forget gengar is still getting slowed because gen 7 will come in e17 and gengar will get cursed body. Also if you want to deal with the field's slowing your only way to remove the field is to freeze it over with blizzard or generate a new field with a move like electric terrain.

I was about to make an "inb4 Gengar gets Cursed Body in E17" joke, but it looks like it's true. I have a Magnezone variant with Electric Terrain, a Roserade variant with Grassy Terrain and a Gardevoir with Misty Terrain, so that covers that base, at least. I'll study up on these field effects and plan accordingly. Once again, thank you so much!

Really good team, but I have a few things I think you should change. 

First of all, Swampert getting speed EVs doesn't really make him fast. I recommend putting all the speed EVs into HP instead. The bulk overwhelmingly helps more than speed, especially from getting sweeped, which a Swampert with 252 speed can't stop because it's still so slow.

Second of all, I would give Volcarona the Life Orb over the Wise glasses. Life Orb is so much better.

Finally, I Metagross only needs for its moveset Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, and Ice punch. If it's Mega Metagross it should be Hammer Arm instead of Ice Punch. If you really need electric type coverage, just get a sub like Electivire or Magnezone. Looking at your team it's only got 2/6 physical attackers and 4/6 special attackers, so I would chose Electivire (also because Electivire is awesome), but that's just me.

2 hours ago, Taska said:

Really good team, but I have a few things I think you should change. 

First of all, Swampert getting speed EVs doesn't really make him fast. I recommend putting all the speed EVs into HP instead. The bulk overwhelmingly helps more than speed, especially from getting sweeped, which a Swampert with 252 speed can't stop because it's still so slow.

Second of all, I would give Volcarona the Life Orb over the Wise glasses. Life Orb is so much better.

Finally, I Metagross only needs for its moveset Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, and Ice punch. If it's Mega Metagross it should be Hammer Arm instead of Ice Punch. If you really need electric type coverage, just get a sub like Electivire or Magnezone. Looking at your team it's only got 2/6 physical attackers and 4/6 special attackers, so I would chose Electivire (also because Electivire is awesome), but that's just me.

These are extremely valid points. First off, I have decided to skip Speed EVs on Swampert and just go for Bulk and Physical Offense. I'm not really sure why I thought a base 60 speed stat could really be helped by some speed EVs. As for Volcarona's item, I can definitely put Life Orb on it. I just need a new item for it. Muscle Band? Bright Powder? (Man, I need a Choice Band...) As for Metagross, I can breed for another 5IV Beldum, and just keep it as a spare. I do like the movepool you suggested; I'll put it on the main Metagross I have. Finally, I forgot to add my backups to the main list, but I think I addressed it in a response above. I have a Magnezone as a backup, and I plan to breed for an Electivire (I also like Electivire), Jolteon, and some other Electric-types. Thank you for your advice!

On 1/11/2017 at 8:41 PM, KuroCovers said:

These are extremely valid points. First off, I have decided to skip Speed EVs on Swampert and just go for Bulk and Physical Offense. I'm not really sure why I thought a base 60 speed stat could really be helped by some speed EVs. As for Volcarona's item, I can definitely put Life Orb on it. I just need a new item for it. Muscle Band? Bright Powder? (Man, I need a Choice Band...) As for Metagross, I can breed for another 5IV Beldum, and just keep it as a spare. I do like the movepool you suggested; I'll put it on the main Metagross I have. Finally, I forgot to add my backups to the main list, but I think I addressed it in a response above. I have a Magnezone as a backup, and I plan to breed for an Electivire (I also like Electivire), Jolteon, and some other Electric-types. Thank you for your advice!

i don't understand the green part.

I did not read your previous responses, so I didn't see you already put Magnezone in. I appreciate that you appreciate my advice!

16 minutes ago, Taska said:

i don't understand the green part.

I did not read your previous responses, so I didn't see you already put Magnezone in. I appreciate that you appreciate my advice!

Apologies for that green part. It was an apostrophe of sorts; I was basically questioning what item I should use, but I didn't address it to anyone. I just need to figure out what item to put on Metagross since a lot of my go-to items for Metagross (Life Orb, Choice Band, Metagrossite, Expert Belt even) are either not available (to my knowledge) or are currently in use by another member of my party. Sorry about that, and I'm glad you appreciated my appreciation (these chains of words always crack me up)!

29 minutes ago, KuroCovers said:

Apologies for that green part. It was an apostrophe of sorts; I was basically questioning what item I should use, but I didn't address it to anyone. I just need to figure out what item to put on Metagross since a lot of my go-to items for Metagross (Life Orb, Choice Band, Metagrossite, Expert Belt even) are either not available (to my knowledge) or are currently in use by another member of my party. Sorry about that, and I'm glad you appreciated my appreciation (these chains of words always crack me up)!

Life Orb (x2 even) and Choice Band are available items. And if you want to get even more broken items you can do the Theif + Fling + Recycle glitch.

4 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

Life Orb (x2 even) and Choice Band are available items. And if you want to get even more broken items you can do the Theif + Fling + Recycle glitch.

I know there's wild Absol's Life Orb and the strength glitch Orb (I completely forgot about Absol Life Orb until it was too late), but Choice Band is available, too? Is it through legitimate means? I know that you can use the Thief triple combo to steal top-tier items from people like Clown Indra, but is there really a Choice Band available legitimately as of E16?

Edited by KuroCovers

1 hour ago, KuroCovers said:

I know there's wild Absol's Life Orb and the strength glitch Orb (I completely forgot about Absol Life Orb until it was too late), but Choice Band is available, too? Is it through legitimate means? I know that you can use the Thief triple combo to steal top-tier items from people like Clown Indra, but is there really a Choice Band available legitimately as of E16?

Yes, you get it from the Job Application sidequest, though only if you are aligned with Team Magma (Aqua gets Specs).

39 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

Yes, you get it from the Job Application sidequest, though only if you are aligned with Team Magma (Aqua gets Specs).

Ah, that's right! I remember reading about this right around when E16 had just been released. You actually just reminded me that I still need to complete this sidequest. Well, it is a shame that I joined Aqua, but I still get a useful item out of this quest nonetheless. Thank you!