How does stealing items really work

Rainlove

As far as I know, If my Delphox steals an item from a battle, I cannot keep the item after the battle.

I already finished episode 16, and I guess it's too late for me to get valuable items. However, there's this clown in Agate Circus where his Pokemons are always holding items.

Now, I heard there's a combination of moves to use (Covet, Recycle and Fling) in order to keep the stolen item.

Can someone please explain to me how do we use this combination? Like do we start with Covet first and Recycle the item or something?

I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but logically the moves should be used in this order:
Covet, then Fling, then Recycle. 

I cannot guarantee that the item will stay with you as I have never tested this myself, but using those 3 moves in that order seems to be most logical. And, if that works, I believe that Thief may also be used in place of Covet.

Edited by Dypatome

• Developers
6 minutes ago, Dypatome said:

I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but logically the moves should be used in this order:
Covet, then Fling, then Recycle. 

I cannot guarantee that the item will stay with you as I have never tested this myself, but using those 3 moves in that order seems to be most logical. And, if that works, I believe that Thief may also be used in place of Covet.

Yes this is correct. The first move doesn't have to be Covet. Any move or ability to steal the opponent's item will do (Thief, Covet, Trick, Switcheroo, Magician and Pickpocket). Then Fling the stolen item and Recycle it (creates a duplicate of the flinged item). The pokemon with Recycle can be different than the one who used Fling.

The logic behind this is the following. When you get an item with recycle, no matter where you get it from, the item stays with you after the battle. This is so because the general use case of recycle is getting back a berry you've eaten in battle, and it wouldn't make sense to lose it after the battle ends. However, recycle can recover any item lost in battle by the pokemon. Also items lost by using fling. So, if a pokemon steals an item with covet, fling, magician... and then loses it, it will be considered a lost item for recycle, and so it will be possible to recover it. When the item is recovered using recycle, it will become permanent and not dissapear at the end of the battle because that's how recycle works.

11 minutes ago, baldr said:

Yes this is correct. The first move doesn't have to be Covet. Any move or ability to steal the opponent's item will do (Thief, Covet, Trick, Switcheroo, Magician and Pickpocket). Then Fling the stolen item and Recycle it (creates a duplicate of the flinged item). The pokemon with Recycle can be different than the one who used Fling.

does this mean you can get items such as mega stones as well from pokemons? e.g. on saturday, there is a trainer in the Grand Hall that has a Blaziken with Blazikenite, can you get that Blazikenite as well?

4 minutes ago, JoJoDeath said:

does this mean you can get items such as mega stones as well from pokemons? e.g. on saturday, there is a trainer in the Grand Hall that has a Blaziken with Blazikenite, can you get that Blazikenite as well?

you can't thief megastones afaik

Edited by Trollcloud

Well,I think I have the answer for this question in the spoiler below (READY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Spoiler

Yes!
The metode with thief -> fling -> recycle WORKS!
I just steal a choice scarf from a npc in the grand hall (a item that is currently unnobtable in reborn)

Sem_t%C3%ADtulo.png?1483322181

2.png?1483321778

-> Now if this is something that you should do or not, i do not have a answer for this =/

13 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

EXCUSE ME!? This actually works... We must abuse this before it gets patched in episode 17!

Even if it was patched for E17, you'd always have the option going back and playing through 16 until you have whatever you need.

• Developers

Well it wasn't patched for E16 even though I discovered and published this method several months before E16 community release. So there is a chance that it might not get patched in E17 either.

I think that in canon games even regular stealing is enough to keep the item permanently. It was disabled in Reborn because some items were too OP at the beginning of the game and it was too easy to get them by stealing.