Legendary Battle Music Proposal

WujiKyurem

Hey everyone! Ok, so I made a comment on another thread a while back that I wanted to hear some opinions on. Since I never got any responses, I thought I would share my thoughts here. For simplicity's sake, I just copy/pasted the original text.

Here it is, right below the line:

(And before you ask, yes, this is more-or-less based on BST)

------------------------------------------------------

[Original Post]

I'm not pretending to be any sort of authority on this, but I think I came up with a pretty good system for Legendary battle music. I thought it would be a bit shortsighted to use the same theme for every single Legendary, being that there are so many now and that there is a ton of variety between them all.

Tell me what you guys think:

Team Galactic Boss Battle Remix: 

* plays for: Arceus (and vs. Lin? I'd like that a lot)

Hoenn Weather Trio Remix v.II: 

* plays for: Cover Legendaries, Mewtwo, Regigigas

'Battle- Legendary.mp3':

* plays for: Mythical Pokemon (as defined in Bulbapedia apart from Arceus and Keldeo), Lati@s, Heatran, Cresselia, Landorus, Zygarde, Necrozma

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire Zinnia Battle Remix: 

* plays for: Legendary Birds, Legendary Beasts, Regi Trio, Lake Guardians, Swords of Justice, Tornadus, Thundurus, Island Guardians

Sun and Moon Team Skull Battle Remix: 

* plays for: Ultra Beasts

EDIT: Glitch's new Lusamine theme would be a really great fit for the Elite 4 imo.

Let's hope with every fiber of our beings that Laura doesn't get Sky Forme Shaymin; if that thing can get proper support in a double battle while on the Flower Garden Field, we might be in for a fight that's a good deal harder than pre-nerf Serra and Charlotte, and I don't even know how that's possible. I wouldn't put it past Ame considering how Nostra is almost definitely a real Jirachi that will eventually be hitting the MC's 'mons up with a 840 BP Doom Desire after STAB. And I don't even want to imagine what Bennett would do with a Genesect...

Edited by WujiKyurem

These are some very interesting propositions, looks like you definitely put some thought into it. I'll just quickly give my 2 cents on each.

Galactic boss battle is one of my favorite tunes from the canon game series, and as usual Glitch's remix does it justice. I can definitely hear this playing when fighting Arceus. I guess it could fit Lin as well, but I had pictured something a bit darker and aggressive-sounding for her.

The weather trio remix would be great for cover legendaries, I totally agree with you on this one.

The Johto gym leader remix is awesome in itself, however it is already used vs El in Citae and I would rather keep it for this fight + E4. For mythical mons I would see something along the lines of the Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit music from Diamond & Pearl.

I haven't played ORAS and didn't know Zinnia was even a thing. Music sounds good, but I think I'll pass on this one.

I 100% approve of the Theme Skull music for UB.

Finally, I would very much appreciate hearing Lusamine's music in Reborn, however it sounds like the kind of theme that should be used only once, to leave a greater impact. As stated above, I would keep the Johto leader remix for El, Laura/Bennett, Heather and Anna. But what spot should be given to Lusamine's then? I'm not sure, but maybe it would be cool to have it for a one-shot post-game fight against the likes of Red or Cynthia (assuming any canon character is going to be part of the post-game, which I don't know).

@Alistair

Thanks for the long reply! Tbh I was kinda being modest with the inclusion of the Johto Gym track, being that it's already in the game and I wasn't sure how seriously people would take me here. Especially since I was iffy on even using that theme there to begin with 😁

I like the Lake Trio theme a lot better there; nice call.

My thought process with Lin was that Cyrus' theme gives off this feeling of "everyone in the universe is counting on you to win right now!", and it would play on the atmosphere of the situation the MC is in when they meet Lin in battle -- since she is a doomsday-level threat by all means, and especially since she'll almost certainly be the final boss. But I know what you're saying; when I first ran across that ominous Weather Trio remix, I was convinced that there couldn't possibly be a more fitting theme for Lin. I could still see it working, but the dealbreaker for me was that the battle just wouldn't feel as special or important if 15+ Pokemon go on to use her music.

I didn't play OR/AS either haha, I'm just on YouTube too much. That being said, I know it's not ideal, but I don't know what could take its place from what I remember listening to. I'm sure that there must be something, though. I'll go back through Glitch's channel and then I (or someone else in the comments) will get back to you on that.

If Laura is reinstated into the Elite 4 by the time we get that far, and she takes El's place rather than Bennett's (which is my personal theory), I think that El should have a theme distinct from that of the Elite 4. Now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense for him to have a theme all to himself. He's definitely both significant and 'evil' enough for it -- and I think it would be doing an injustice to El if Sigmund can have a signature theme, but he can't. My headcanon is that we'll face off against El in E17, as I'm ~90% sure that the teaser quote at the end of the episode was actually him speaking to Titania.

And for some reason I just feel like that track isn't grandiose enough for the Elite 4 -- like I think even the in-game gym leader theme sounds better for a big stage. The opening is awesome, but to me it just tails after that.

Edited by WujiKyurem