Down Is Up

Zen

Given the lack of attention given to a particular tactic Luna was fond of (possibly still is, but I wouldn't know due to the lack of logs), I decided to write a little something about it! Specifically, the tactic in question is mass reduction of the enemies' stats. Naturally, this is meant for doubles/triples.

So, most people tend to go for either brute force or stat boosts to win. Some like Hardy use reversal tactics to beat the opposition. However, Luna's old hijinks seemed to straddle the barrier between those categories, if I may say so.

The first and most obvious stat to be reduced is Atk or SAtk. Intimidate and Snarl work well for these, though Snarl is reliant on the time taken for its user to move. From there, it can be seen that speed reduction is the next logical step (though I myself prefer to drop the enemies' speed first).

For speed reduction, Icy Wind is good. Alternatively, spamming Discharge as per Dr. Connal's habit could work, at the risk of friendly fire.

Defence is probably the last thing you'd need to reduce. Screech of all things could work, along with the likes of Fake Tears. The reason why I placed these two stats last among the list is because there is no efficient means of decreasing them with a mass effect as with Snarl/Discharge/etc.

Ideally, EV's on a doubles/triples team made to run this tactic would emphasize defence and offence, with nominal attention to speed. Higher defences buffer for the enemy offensive reduction, whereas the boosted offensive allows for some quick comebacks after the speed reduction stage.

Sure, it's a slow tactic. Sure, it's gimmicky. But if you throw in a Tailwind instead of going for pure speed reduction... well now, that's a whole new ballgame altogether now, isn't it?

The thing is, most of this would take a millenia to complete on 6 pokemon (wow, what a general objection i just made). Things like icy wind and rock smash, I admit, work because of their low power, but looking for a game situation where you have 6 tanks and you get the oppurtunity lower all your enemies stats is like looking for needles in a haystack (i made a generic phrase.... knife.). It mostly falls short.

Don't get me wrong, I like those types of moves. FeatherDance has saved me countless times (even if it was in the main games...), and I can see your point in the first place. It's overlooked, and I appreciate how someone has finally pointed it out.

The thing is, most of this would take a millenia to complete on 6 pokemon (wow, what a general objection i just made). Things like icy wind and rock smash, I admit, work because of their low power, but looking for a game situation where you have 6 tanks and you get the oppurtunity lower all your enemies stats is like looking for needles in a haystack (i made a generic phrase.... knife.). It mostly falls short.

Don't get me wrong, I like those types of moves. FeatherDance has saved me countless times (even if it was in the main games...), and I can see your point in the first place. It's overlooked, and I appreciate how someone has finally pointed it out.

Haha, you do have a valid point - if you made a team PURELY for stat reduction, you're screwed XD

Of course, there'll need to be some muscle behind the stat droppers... so it depends on your style, really.

• 4 weeks later...

This plan is not foolproof, let's say, you meet up with already slow pokemon. What are you gonna do? Make them slower?

Reduce their offensive with Snarl, Featherdance, and/or Will-O-Wisp, usually.

My opening line-up in these sorts of teams usually feature one beat-stick with one/two stat-droppers flanking it.

For instance, the dark monotype variant had murkrow/sableye/spiritomb aiding a tyranitar. The fire monotype using it ran Intimidate on arcanine, while houndoom used Snarl and typhlosion started the offensive with Eruption.

@ chasedawg98 - Slow, sure. Gimmicky? Naturally. And really, that is why no one in their right mind would rely entirely on this tactic; having part of a team to handle it would be adequate. Here is a link to the old triples/doubles team I ran for it: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2076