Pokemon: A Call to Arms Ch. 3

Scottieboy2020

Chapter 3: Thief

I stood outside my parents’ home, hood up and hands in my pockets, looking as inconspicuous as possible.  I walked around to the back of the house, not wanting to make them aware of my presence.  If they knew I was here, they would want me to stay.  Looking around to make sure nobody was watching, I quickly and quietly scaled the side of the house, avoiding the windows.  My old bedroom was on the second floor, and the porch beneath it had a roof extending out.  

Using this as a landing of sorts, I slid the window open, climbing inside and crossing the room.  Feeling like a thief in my own house, I avoided the creaking spot on the floor, pulling out my pocket knife.  The glass case with my weapon inside had a simple, one tumbler lock.  I stuck the tip of the knife into the lock, and with one quick, up and down wiggle, the lock turned.  I opened the case, pulling out the sword, and replaced it with a short note to my parents:

Mom-Dad-Serra and Eric

Sorry I couldn't stay.  I'm sorry I left for six years.  I'm going to make things right, I promise.  

Going to try and get my team back.  I won’t be going alone.  

I hope you're doing better than I am.  I'll be back as soon as I can.

Please understand.

~Seth

I left the case open, then, making sure to step good and hard on that creaky spot.  I jumped out the window, making a second short jump off the porch roof in time to hear my door burst open.  I sprinted for the forest, stopping at the edge.  I watched my window, half hoping one of them would look, half begging them not to.  

My father stood there, watching me.  As we locked eyes, he nodded once.  Go.  I nodded back, my face wet.  I wasn't sure if it was rain or tears.  

I turned, sprinting through the thick woodland.  I had to get far away, and fast.  I shouldn't have gone there--Team Prometheus was almost certainly watching my house.  I headed for Oldale town, hoping that next time I was here, it wouldn't be simply to grab my blade.

Cutting through the woods, I saw lots of small Pokemon, from Zigzagoon and Poochyena to Oddish and Wurmple.  Taillow flitted between the trees, singing their songs and bickering.  It all brought back memories, from when I had first set out as a trainer.  

I had just left town, a new Pokedex in hand and trainers ahead of me.  Elesa was more than ready to battle, and I was looking forward to testing my mettle against other trainers.  Fortunately, everyone here was probably too low-leveled to take her down, even with a full team of six.  

...Right?

As I turned the corner, I spotted a familiar brown pilot jacket with the black and ‘burnt orange’ baseball cap.  I flinched inwardly, half hoping he wouldn’t see me.  He was sitting down with his back to a tree, his new Quilava curled up next to him.  Cracking one eye open as I came closer, he stood to greet me.  

“Hey Seth!  I didn’t know you were coming out today; I would have joined you.”  he said, hands in the pockets.  Under his jacket was an orange button-up shirt, and he wore black jeans and a pair of shoes matching his hat.  “Hey, Eric.  Let me guess: you want to battle.” I said, greeting my older brother.

“Heck yeah I want a battle!  You’re my little brother, and I want you to beat me.  I’ll even let you pick who you fight.”  he said energetically.  I sighed, my former enthusiasm gone with the wind.  Elesa’s, however, only mounted higher, and her eyes were already glowing blue from her Psychic energy.  “Are you sure about this?  You’re level 36, his team’s gotta be level 75 or higher.” I said to her, getting a firm nod in reply.  

I looked at the Quilava, who was now sitting next to Eric’s leg, looking back at me curiously.  Too young; it wouldn’t be a challenge for Elesa, and I didn’t want to wimp out in front of my brother.  “Show me your team then.  I want an even fight.”  Eric smiled, pulling out his pokedex and showing me his team.

Flygon, Aggron, Manectric, Quilava, Mightyena, and Swampert.  Almost all of them high-leveled Pokemon, except for… “Mightyena.  He’s only level 45, it’s close enough.”  I said, figuring I could probably balance it out with his neutral attacks and Elesa’s Fairy moves.  “Alright, let’s do this Mortdecai.”  Eric said, sending out the large black and grey hound.

Elesa hovered slightly, her eyes glowing.  The Mightyena growled, its hackles raised.  Each stared the other down, waiting for their trainer’s commands.  “Elesa, be careful.  His attacks may be neutral but he’s still a level 45.  You’ll definitely feel it if he catches you.”  I said.  She nodded, and I moved back, giving them room to fight.  

Eric looked me in the eye, saying “I won’t take it easy on you just because you’re my little bro.  Got it?”  I surprised him with a grin.  “We wouldn’t have it any other way.”  He smiled at that. “Good answer!  Mortdecai, use Snarl!  Keep lowering her stats!”

“Surprise him with Secret Power!  Try and paralyze him!”  she dove forward, drawing power from the forest around her.  I was fairly sure the move would get a chance to poison, but it wasn’t what I was betting on.  If he was paralyzed, she could use Double team to dodge all his attacks.

Wait, didn’t he say keep lowering her stats?  But the battle just started--he couldn’t have lowered them yet, right? I thought.  In a direct contradiction, Elesa’s Secret Power hit Mortdecai directly in the forehead… doing almost nothing.  Instead, she was hit with Snarl at point blank range, pushing her back and leaving her open to a painful looking Headbutt, sending her flying back.  

Crap!  What happened--it should have forced his head down, making the attack miss…

‘Keep lowering her stats!’

“That’s not very fair of you, big bro.  Having him discretely use Growl constantly from the second he was out of the Pokeball, and stalling for time with idle chat.”  I said calmly, watching Elesa.  “Start using double team!  Don’t attack yet--just do it!” I shouted, feeling something itching at the back of my mind.  

“Seth, the battle starts from the moment the pokemon are released.  You’re not gonna see this trap from many trainers, but you shouldn’t be afraid to fight a little dirty--it could give you all the advantage you need.”  Eric said, not bothering to tell his Mightyena what to do.  Instead, it attacked without prompt, chasing Elesa and destroying her after images.  

I swore under my breath, remembering the second effect of Snarl.  It lowers the special attack of the receiver--he was constantly making her weaker.

“Disarming voice, now!  Hit him with everything you’ve got!” I shouted, focusing on Elesa.  She had taken a lot of hits, and should have fainted by now.  She was also moving slower, showing how tired she was.  If I didn’t finish this soon, she could get seriously hurt.  

Don’t you mean we?  Elesa said to me.  You’re forgetting who’s doing all the fighting.  Sure, you lose too, but I’m the one who has to take the pain.  And then there’s your brother; He’s not ignoring his pokemon, he just trusts him. Unlike the two of us right now, they are a team.

I flinched, her words stinging a little.  What do you suggest? I said.  We’ve been avoiding my Psychic powers since he’s a dark type.  But do you remember the Flygon we met with Earth Power?  We can replicate that here.

I thought it over in my head.  Do it.  We might still lose this, but at least we’ll leave a lasting impression.  I said to her.  She immediately used her psychic abilities to pull herself away from the battle, then switched to ripping up sizable chunks of the ground and either building a wall or hurling them at Mortdecai.

She hid behind the earthen barrier, using the ground beneath Mortdecai to hurl the Mightyena into the air, breaking it into smaller pieces and battering him with it.  Clever as this plan may have been, though, her strength was fading.  

When Elesa was well rested, her eyes would glow blue when she used her powers.  However, the more power she used, the less her eyes glowed; it was an effective gauge for how much longer she’d last in a fight.  At the moment, her eyes had a minimal glow, and her attacks were very weak.  

I looked at the two combatants, taking advantage of the brief lull in the fight.  Elesa had caused a lot of damage to the black hound, but considering their current states, it looked like a single blow would finish off either of them.

You’re close, Elesa.  One more good hit.  I said to her.  I saw Elesa grin at me, a green orb forming above her palm.  He won’t expect this, will he? she said.  Realizing her plan, I smiled back.  Eric, wasting no more time, shouted “Mortdecai!  Rush her with Headbutt!”  

As her opponent rounded the wall to run at her, Elesa launched her Energy Ball, striking the ground beneath Mortdecai.  However, she misjudged where he would be, and the resulting mini-explosion only pushed him towards her, and she didn’t have time to make a second attack.

They collided, the Mightyena’s Headbutt striking Elesa in the gut.  I froze, watching her crumple to the ground, wheezing; Eric had won the fight.  In a way, I wasn’t surprised, just frustrated and worried about Elesa.  I helped her up, turning to my brother.

He slowly clapped his hands, whistling lowly.  “That was incredible; you not only nearly beat the level and type disadvantage, but you did it with style too!  Substituting Earth Power with her natural telekinesis…  I haven’t had a fight like that in a good while.  Even if you did lose, that’s a fight to be proud of!”

I smiled at Elesa, letting her lean on me for support.  “Well, we did have a good teacher.  Dad was letting me watch fights in his gym, and we had a few 1v1 matches.  After I started playing to her strengths, things got a lot easier for us.”  

Eric nodded, saying “Yeah, Dad taught me some stuff too.  I owe him a lot--in fact, I was meaning to visit him today but he wasn’t at the gym.  On the other hand… it’s best we get Elesa to a Pokemon Center ASAP.  I’ll get you to Oldale town, so you don’t have to battle the other trainers.  Besides, Quilava here could use the experience.”

Pulling her Pokeball out of my pocket, I said “I’d appreciate it.  Do you want to walk or sleep in the ball, Elesa?”  Wordlessly, she pressed the Recall button, getting sucked inside the plastic sphere.  Putting the Pokeball safely in the inner pocket of my vest, we jogged the short distance to Oldale town.  

I sighed, the memories bittersweet.  It was one of the few truly memorable moments I had with my older brother, since we were both always on the move.  I missed my family, and right now, my brother seemed like the only one who could truly help me.  

But what about Cory and Mira?  Those two seem like capable trainers.  I’m sure they’d be able to help me get my team back.  Besides, they know what they’re getting into.  It’s just as much their choice as it is mine.

I snapped myself out of my mini-trance, hearing something whimper.  It was coming from a bush to my left.  Cautious, I knelt down, slowly lifting the branches.  Seeing what was beneath them, I tilted my head back, chuckling darkly at Fate's sense of humor.  It has a peculiar way of dredging up memories made sore from loneliness.  

A young Cyndaquil with black and cream fur was curled up under the bush, hiding from the rain.  I opened my jacket, reaching out to pick him up.  Opening his eyes, he let out a startled squeak, puffing bright blue sparks, but not really able to make flames in the rain.  

I picked him up regardless, pulling him into the dry and safe confines of my jacket.  Feeling him shake from cold and fear, I quietly comforted him, making small shushing sounds until he fell back to sleep.  

Smiling, I tilted my head back again, seeing the rain begin to dissipate.  I began to wonder: was fate really laughing at me, or was it trying to tell me something?

I am actually pretty happy with how this chapter turned out!  It took me a long time to write four pages (almost) but in the end I feel like it was worth it.  As before, please let me know if you spotted anything I need to fix, and I'll edit the post, and later the original document.  I am open to all suggestions and criticisms!

Edited by Scottieboy2020

• 3 weeks later...

...Well, this is awkward AF.

I'm kind of stuck on what to write for the next chapter.  I know I want him to head to the Team Prometheus base, but at the same time, I feel like it's too soon.  I'd also like to have a flashback for when he meets his second teammate, as well as a 'proving battle' for both Undai and Ignis Deus (the new Cyndaquil buddy).

But other than that I've got nothing, because my muse seems to be on vacation and isn't accepting calls.

Could anyone leave some suggestions here?  Almost any little thing is a big help.  Also, who should I have the two new teammates fight?  Please no extreme matchups like lvl 10 Cyndaquil vs lvl 27 Wartortle or some such craziness.

ALSO, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!