Joker (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Thunder

- Taunt

- Icy Wind

- Destiny Bond

This is my opener. Basically designed to stop any strategy the oponent tries to implement. Taunt is for set up hazards. Icy wind is to slow down things like thunderous, (after 1 speed drop gengar is faster than anything). Thunder is for politoed allowing me to set up my weather. DB is for anything thats gonna kill me, but mainly gives me a way to instantly kill 9tales.

Angry Hippo (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 255 HP / 255 Def

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Roar

- Slack Off

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

My physical tank. sets up weather and rocks, then constantly roars/ EQ just to disrupt team further. slack off when needed. wears down entire team, allowing for the quick finish.

Tag (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Shadow Tag

EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd

Hardy Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Energy Ball

- Flamethrower

- Hidden Power [ice]

My revenge Killer. Stops things like Ferrothorn walling my team, due to sandstorm not wearing it down.

RealGanster (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Insomnia

EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Sucker Punch

- Brave Bird

- Superpower

- Roost

I added this as a breloom counter, as i really kills most of my team with spore then swords dance. But with life orb and sucker punch, will finish off most pokes. good for Dragon Dancers. BB and Superpower just give it some extra kick. Roost for healing just incase i get the oppurtunity.

Miles (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Sand Rush

EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance

- Rock Slide

- Earthquake

- Poison Jab

Miles the mole. lol. Set thinks for itself i think. i prefer poison jab to X-scisor, as it hits some of the more common threats to my team super effective i.e breloom, virizon.

St.Bernard (Stoutland) (M) @ Choice Band

Trait: Sand Rush

EVs: 124 HP / 255 Atk / 128 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Return

- Pursuit

- Fire Fang

- Wild Charge

My second Sand rush sweeper. Kinda use this guys as a revenge killer too, but also as fodder should the event arise. Return does huge damage to most things, Fire fang for steel types. Wild charge is for bulky waters to which, i dont really have a counter to if he doesn't 1HKO them, the second definatly will, and should he die, i have my chandelure to finish them off.

Please try to keep the comments constructive.

thanks

Actually; his comment was constructive by far and probably the best information you could get.

Take Hippo/Drill for example. Great singles combo, but for doubles/triples you need to make sure you won't get hit by EQ and can hit them hard. You can hit decently hard, but 3 things hitting you while you SD and then hitting yourself with your own EQ three times can end you.

Seems negative, but look at the information I'm feeding you. You're at risks here. The fact that you are at risk is the negative part.

Now, Honchkrow and Gengar are the two that don't get hit by EQ. What if you have Mold Breaker Drill [for whatever reason, since you can change things that aren't moves/mons while in the league] Then you will be doing EQ to Gengar as well. Not to mention they're both pretty frail, and in doubles/triples, and knowing your team, that's what I'd target.

Honestly, in forms of Criticism, usually you have to add a lot more information for us to dissect it. What flaws to you find in each pokemon, what Pokemon counter your team, what role do you think you need, etc. I can't help you out other than throwing a dart at 600+ pokemon and hoping something sticks, lol.

I appreciate the comments, and will rethink some of my team members to make it more double battle friendly. however, swords dance is just to sweep in single battles. Excadrills attack is more than respectable anyway, so i wouldn't have to SD in a doubles match. also, i think i am smart enough to not use EQ when something on my team will take major hits from it. My hippowdon rarely uses EQ anyway, it's mainly a nuisance.

might i just point out that constructive comments involve, suggestions to improve, and not just saying that something will, or wont do well.

Not having to boost in a doubles match might make a difference.

From Bulbapedia;

Moves that hit multiple Pokémon have their power reduced to 75% of their normal base power, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point.

So even if you hit with a good powered move, you might as well consider it not as strong as before. Now that the mechanic is mentioned, I don't think you'd find it "smart" to subject yourself to not being flexible. I mean, you might find that EQ or SD can be beneficial to yourself. My point was to prepare yourself to be able to use it if needs be, even if that means losing something on your side of the field. Besides, since I proved that Excadrill's EQ's are more powerful in singles anyway, this becomes more viable to sweep with it.

Onto the later point, constructive criticism's definition [from Definition.com]

Criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions.

Criticism, itself, can point out flaws in things. So if I point out a flaw in your team, with the intent to help you, that's commonly accepted as Constructive Criticism. If I didn't tell you that your team has a problem, you wouldn't be able to address it as easily now, or you wouldn't do so at all.

Also note that the definition has the term "often". Not always. So since it doesn't need a solution, which I don't know how to provide you based on your limited information you've supplied me with, I can't help you find a solution but am still not in the wrong since I'm helping you go in the right direction.

At the end of the day, you don't even have to take any of it anyway. We're just trying to help.

• Administrators

Icy Wind is a creative choice for Gengar, and will definitely help the triples situtation, but I'd wonder at its effectiveness in singles.

A lot of what I would say has already been said. One more point- Heat Wave on Chandelure over Flamethrower. Invaluable for triples.

For Excadrill, keeping Earthquake is fine, because in trips you can turn to Rock Slide, but on Hippowdon, where its your only attacking move- I'd recommend replacing it.

Honchkrow... doesn't really have the bulk to abuse Roost. Even a good Mach Punch from Breloom + residual sand damage will probably put it out. If you want a better Breloom counter thats more applicable to league, I'd suggest Xatu.

Stoutland seems pretty solid, though I personally prefer Reversal to Fire Fang.

Ultimately though, if you're creative and persistent, this team can make it all the way. There are some better choices, but you could probably do it with this if you really tried.

You have the right to change abilities, order of team, items, natures, EVs, and genders whenever you want in league. One way to fully take advantage of this is to go into a battle vs. a leader with your default setup, and then make changes according to what they used to counter you. For example, you may find that one leader doesn't use sleep, but is weak to priority. In this case, you may want to change Insomnia on Honchkrow for Moxie. You're at little to no risk of falling asleep, and can rack up kills.

Likewise, you may find one leader uses double or triple battles more often. In this case, you may want to change your team order so that you can use earthquake Hippowdon, icy wind Gengar, and Earthquake Excadrill all in the opening move. In my opinion, the league is more about perseverence and stepping out of your comfort zone than the actual team.

I see you've two Breloom checks, but only two of the leaders have access to that pokemon. No leaders are allowed to use Virizion, as it's a legendary pokemon.

You may want to switch out poison jab, because the poison type itself doesn't offer much coverage.

Superpower is a doable choice on Honchkrow, but I always have fun with Tailwind ;)

With Honchkrow's massive Attack stat, there isn't much it can't kill with Drill Peck that it can with Brave Bird.

Try some things out, see if you like them, and don't put those extra EVs to waste. There's nothing to gain in 255, when the stat stops progressing at an earlier mark.

• 1 month later...

Anyways Xatu is one of the better pokemon to use in the league according to me. Xatu can set up screens be a wall and heal itself at the same time. Then you have Magic Bounce which can really upset the spore-using-leaders at the same time being able to avoid ground types which helps with earthquakes, offensively and defensively.

Edited by Phazer

• 4 weeks later...