First gym, do I need trubbish?

radix

um Hi, I am new here, got the game yesterday, thought I would play some pokemons but in a new way, found out about this and I am quite thrilled (that music tho).

However I found out that this game is challenging, which is cool, finally challenging pokemon game one might say. However first gym is tough, I am very close to beating julie, but not quite there and in a rather messy maner. I red some guides and all of them mention to get trubbish, now my question is: Do I really need to catch certain pokemons to advance? because that would be a major turn off for me, as I dont like to be limitied like that. More over I despise ridiculous pokemons and simply dont want turbbish no matter what, its a garbege bag with eyes, it is not getting a place in my team period. I know it sounds like 1st world problem, but I really like freedom when composing my teams, and very often I would rather go for "flavour" than stats. So do I need to get specific pokemons to beat specific gym leadres?

Edited by radix

When are you ever forced to use certain Pokemon? You always have freedom on what to choose. If you don't want to use Trubbish, then don't. There's a large variety of things to choose from before the first gym, and many of them can be useful. I'm sure you can find something you're interested in using.

Part of the challenge of this game is the sheer limit of Pokemon you have access to in early game. The Pokemon you can catch really diminishes if you're picky about what they are. I don't know about the necessity of Trubbish but it has some good defense and the possibility of poisoning the foe would help a lot. That being said, this game focuses on strategies. You aren't allowed over leveled Pokemon or super rare Pokemon, so the only avenue is to develop strategies to counter your opponent's. Status effects and stat changes can be just as important as type advantage. Hope this helps.

You have several viable options avaible for the first badge. Trubbish is only one of them.

Imo Ame went pretty soft on us for the first badge.

You got your starter, budew, goldeen, trubbish, kricketune, mightyena who can all practically solo it.

Tons of support mons that hold their own pretty decently like pachirisu, fire monkey, liepard,...

And overlevelling is totally possible for the first gym.

So use the pokemon you like and compose a strategy around them, you ll easily manage

Edited by Xrada

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you need it, but when I played this game long back I used & am planning to start over again and will definitely be using trubbish. It may be a trash poke, but right off the bat it gets poison spikes move. Use it as your first move in battle & every new enemy pokes switched in will be poisoned. It's a great advantage to have. So if you ask me, I say use trubbish. 

Fist gym is electric, so it isn't an advantage nor disadvantage, use pokemon at your heart's content.

What you'll end up needing is having pokemon in rotation, some gyms "require" good planing and taking advantage of strengths, so yeah, you need to have more than 6 pokemon, also, the most OP pokemon are not yet in the game, so choose the ones you like the most.

Edited by iskelion