[CW/Feedback/Challenge] 100 words or less.

Felicity

• Support Squad

Like a poem except not.

The premise is to show skill over language by writing a short story on any topic with only, bet you guessed it, 100 words. I've tried it myself, I find it quite difficult.

Bear in mind, as the first sentence says, this is not poetry. It's meant to be a clear, cohesive story.

I'll start with one based on Pompeii. Not the cheeriest one granted but it's the first topic I felt I could do this with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The citizens of Pompeii city. They bustle about their doomed city with a blissful ignorance. It would be too late for them. Too late to react to the cataclysmic eruption of the looming shadow above. Fire, fury, a choking cloud of charred ash, then a river of fierce, hungry magma buries them, immortalises them.

History would not know them for they still exist even now, in our present, statues echoing the living past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dunno if anyone else will take another crack, or even if I will, but I figured I'd open up the idea for others.

'Tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day.' Words spoken centuries before by men who have since lived, languished and died in the inexorable march of time resound with vigor in your mind. You've always watched idly, each tick pushing you forward to a stagnant rhythm, unable to escape or change it, only endure. It's not until you hear the screeching of tires, a child unaware of the danger ahead of him as a car skidded toward him at breakneck speeds. Desperate you reach out, commanding the world to stop
And the world listened.
(100 words)

-----

Jeez you're right this was hard, I had to revise it like twice. A short story on some kid with time powers awakening his abilities, just the first thing that popped up in my head i guess :P

Here goes nothing, my subpar writing skills.

~~~~

With a loud bang, the wall that stood for a millennium finally collapsed. The Anatolians surged in like flowing magma. The defenders' ranks fell apart as their last general collapsed and left the battlefield.

The flags of the mighty Sultanate flied over the back gate, its shadows cast upon the remaining soldiers.

They fled like fleas; The Venetians to their ships, the Greeks to their families, and the Genoese to Galata.

"The city has fallen and I am still alive." The king looked at his bodyguards, and tossed aside his regalia.

The crown fell with a light chime.

(98 Words)

~~~~

Take a guess, which siege from the history am I talking about?

The answer:

Fall of Constantinople (1453)

Edited by IntSys

The sky was blotted by the black expanse, the great star, the soul of the earth, unseen through the endless miasma. Shock and awe run rampant, for what was there to do? One can not escape death itself. Even the most determined of procrastinators cannot survive the shadowy temptations of the end. The black flames reached to the panicked onlookers. It wrapped around them, seared their flesh, its hellish embrace leeching away their precious life. Screeches of the fallen were but echoes in the wind, victim to the ruthless slaughter.

~

90 words

~

Apocalypse stories are nice I guess??? Sometimes I forget I am capable of writing things like this.

Sun was setting, and a pleasant breeze raced across Iolia Valley. Vero bathed in the afterglow of his recent victories, lying alongside Charizard under a formidable, aged tree. After capturing a certain pokemon hidden under the altar where they chained Luna, Vero felt an eerie sense of understanding followed by overwhelming relief. He gazed at his eclipse badge, seeing it not as a proof of skill, but the symbol of a life saved from a fate worse than death. The sounds of wind and rustling leaves filled the air as sleep embraced the two companions. For now, they dream.

99 words. Man this is hard, especially when you start to get immersed on the writing. This is based on the conclusion of one of my favourite sections of Pokemon Reborn. The interactions between Radomus, Luna and Gardevoir are very entertaining, 7th street had a very satisfatory atmosphere (as a vampire the masquerade player, corruption and a general sense of misery/degradation are always welcome) Iolia Valley is beautiful.

Edited by Gh0stStark

Oh this seems fun! I'm getting in to writing myself, let's see what I can do here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Georgia admired her work.

Scarlet blood quenched the thirst of the water deprived earth and feathers lay like petals across its face. You’d think it’d be harder to kill three hundred of God’s finest angels. Hell, she’d hardly broke a sweat.

The sorceress paced the giant mass grave that the valley had become, admiring the fear twisted faces and maimed bodies as if walking through a garden. Yes, Evaria may have gotten away but what could she do? Gather more angels? It mattered not. Georgia would soon track down the wounded angel and have those shimmering wings all to herself.

100 Words

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for context, I'm currently writing a story that will contain these characters. It'll be....interesting.

Alright, count me in! :D I love a challenge! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day my son was born, I knew he would die. The doctors said he only had about 8 years to live. He looks down at the glass window as I'm making dinner. He knows he'll die soon. Then, he saw her. The light of this life! The one who brought him hope. I believe at that time he was six years old. Now, I saw him smiling for the first time. I saw hope in his eyes. I rush to the hospital and there I see my son smiling as he lays on her lap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

96 words

At first, I thought this was a piece of cake 'cause I write a lot. But even for a writer like me, this is not easy and it definitely was a good challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

A man’s eyes looks to the stage. His eyes flicker with anticipation, his heart aching.

The days and nights had gone by, blood and tears had been shed; and now this was the day of recognition, his golden heart to be engraved into history’s soul.

Yet he is not called, and another face takes his place. The wave of gray applause does not sedate his soul; for none is more painful than being a pearl of truth in a sea of lies.

One pearl finds another; but it is too late, for the sands of time has buried its shine.

100 words, perfect!

Kinda took it too metaphorically tho ;/