My team is a mess. Help me!

Throhdown

Okay so I beat my way through Reborn..juuuust barely.Throughout my journey my team has been a bit of a mess. At first I thought I had a concrete squad but after some of them stopped being as effective in battle as they used to, I would bench them and put them in the box. At the moment my team consist of:

1.Wanderer 71

Lapras

Female

Dive

Sheer Cold

Hydro Pump

Freeze Dry

2.Merlin 74

Delphox

Male

Sunny Day

Fire Blast

Psychic

Hidden Power

Kindle 66

Arcanine

Female

Extreme Speed

Rock Smash

Thunderfang

Heat Wave

Shellshock 72

Blastoise

Male

Dark Pulse

Surf

Waterfall

Hydro Pump

Heavy 74

Throh

Male

Superpower

Storm Throw

Strength

Bulk Up

We lack a sixth member because I've been switching this particular spot with multiple mons over and over again trying to find one that fits the bill.

I'm considering placing a few of them even though all of these mons have helped me get through the game thus far. Thoughts on my team?

With those levels i'd assume you finished ep. 15? If so, and you have access to reborn city again, I would try to optimize their ev's and natures with the psychologist in 7th street. Also, i'd consider having at least 5 different types in a 6 mon squad. having 2 water types and 2 fire types can be easily exploited if you arn't prepared for a counter. Also what were the mons you have been switching for the 6th one?

Well my first thought is that you have some good mons, but you have a significant amount of typing overlaps. Two Fire types, two Water types... the limited amount of coverage is probably your biggest issue. If this was up to me, I'd pick between Lapras and Blastoise then Delphox and Arcanine. This is a very tough call; my personal preference would be Lapras and Delphox for the dual-type coverage (Lapras will be valuable when you get to face off against various Dragons).

I'm curious what you got from the Beryl Ward Mystery egg, because that Pokemon is often quite useful.

Also, can you post the Abilities of these Pokemon? There might be some changes to consider there.

With those levels i'd assume you finished ep. 15? If so, and you have access to reborn city again, I would try to optimize their ev's and natures with the psychologist in 7th street. Also, i'd consider having at least 5 different types in a 6 mon squad. having 2 water types and 2 fire types can be easily exploited if you arn't prepared for a counter. Also what were the mons you have been switching for the 6th one?

My original team consisted of had a meowstic,ludicolo, and swalot. I got stuck in some boss battles with them and decided to replace them.

Well my first thought is that you have some good mons, but you have a significant amount of typing overlaps. Two Fire types, two Water types... the limited amount of coverage is probably your biggest issue. If this was up to me, I'd pick between Lapras and Blastoise then Delphox and Arcanine. This is a very tough call; my personal preference would be Lapras and Delphox for the dual-type coverage (Lapras will be valuable when you get to face off against various Dragons).

I'm curious what you got from the Beryl Ward Mystery egg, because that Pokemon is often quite useful.

Also, can you post the Abilities of these Pokemon? There might be some changes to consider there.

I agree Lapras has been very useful especially when it comes to dealing with a certain murdering douchebag's ace garchomp while Delphox has been with me since the very beginning and has yet to let me down through many of my battles(except when I over-level it by accident)

The who what now? Uhh no I don't know anything about a mystery egg? O-o

Arcanine-Flash Fire

Throh-Guts

Lapras-Hydration

Blastoise-Torrent

Delphox-Magician

My original team consisted of had a meowstic,ludicolo, and swalot. I got stuck in some boss battles with them and decided to replace them.

Ludicolo could be used to set up a pseudo rain team with blastoise and lapras since they both have abilities than benefit from rain. Thats a potential route you could take with the team. You would more than likely have to switch out at least one of your fire types, however, as having 2 of those on a team like that could be disastrous. Meowstic is near useless late game as its stats and moveset are pretty sub-par. Swalot could be a decent switch in for one of your fire types if you wanted to go the rain team route.

The who what now? Uhh no I don't know anything about a mystery egg? O-o

Its an egg you get from the police station if you bring them a growlithe egg after you complete their questline. It randomly gives you one of 16 or so pokemon, some of which are good and cant be found anywhere else in the game as of yet.

Ludicolo could be used to set up a pseudo rain team with blastoise and lapras since they both have abilities than benefit from rain. Thats a potential route you could take with the team. You would more than likely have to switch out at least one of your fire types, however, as having 2 of those on a team like that could be disastrous. Meowstic is near useless late game as its stats and moveset are pretty sub-par. Swalot could be a decent switch in for one of your fire types if you wanted to go the rain team route.

Its an egg you get from the police station if you bring them a growlithe egg after you complete their questline. It randomly gives you one of 16 or so pokemon, some of which are good and cant be found anywhere else in the game as of yet.

Maybe,a rain team would be good but I don't think I wanna bring ludicolo back but I'll keep in mind if I change my mind.

I suppose meowstic has served her purpose, she did well enough I suppose.

I also have a muk that I caught in the sewers, it's really the only reason I beat Ciel.

Hmm Kindle(my arcanine)is all grown up now. I don't think it will accept it's egg.Will it?

Personally I aggree with the typing, I would personally drop the arcanine since it doesn't have flare blitz or close combat. For delphox sunny day seems strange to me, since I doubt it can survive hit three fire blasts after setting up a sunny day. There are better options in will-o-wisp, mystical fire, light screen, fire pledge if you want to go the support route. Also what typing and power does that hidden power of delphox have? Shadow ball might be a better option.

I would personally drop blastoise because I like freeze-dry and perish song but you can drop lapras as well. If you choose to keep lapras I would suggest dropping sheer cold for perish song since it is a bit more consistent. Also level difference drops the accuracy of sheer cold. You could also swap dive for ice beam or surf and create a full special lapras but that is not that important. If you keep blastoise remove one of the water moves and give it flash cannon, 3 water moves is overkill.

Now since you have three slots left we can fill up those slots, I think you need an extra physical attacker and something fast. What that is free to choose. For fast you can look at noivern ,aerodactyl, or something with priority. Or something a bit more bulky which can setup so that it goes fast nex turn. For aphysical attacker you have a lot of options since you have half a team to fill. Just keep your typings in mind.

Hmm Kindle(my arcanine)is all grown up now. I don't think it will accept it's egg.Will it?

No, it will work just fine. Breeding the arcanine might be an issue if its male tho. I'm not an expert on breeding, but im pretty sure that the egg will always be the female's species unless you breed with a ditto.

Depends how much you're willing to work to make your team more well-rounded and competitive. I really like all those pokemon, but constantly keeping 2 FIre types and 2 Water types in the permanent team is just generally not a good idea. Especially in Reborn, as you may have noticed browsing the forums, most people have a main team and several rotational pokemon on top of that. As such, my advice would be to keep Delphox, Lapras, and Throh (I'm not a huge fan, but based on your username I assume you are). That's a solid trio that covers 5 types. Some options for the other 3 include: Magnezone (highly recommend), Torterra (can get a Turtwig in Agate Circus if you don't already have it), Flygon (Trapinch is available in the arcade, I recommend Voltorb Flip to get enough coins), Braviary (Rufflet is available right outside Agate Circus), etc. There are plenty of other options as well, those are just a few I personally use.

Anywho, it will be time consuming but I recommend getting the Exp. Share (it used to be on 7th Street, but I think Ame moved it) and grinding up one new pokemon at a time by repeatedly battling the clown in Agate Circus. That's what I've been doing to improve my team/rotational pokemon while I wait for E16.

Personally I aggree with the typing, I would personally drop the arcanine since it doesn't have flare blitz or close combat. For delphox sunny day seems strange to me, since I doubt it can survive hit three fire blasts after setting up a sunny day. There are better options in will-o-wisp, mystical fire, light screen, fire pledge if you want to go the support route. Also what typing and power does that hidden power of delphox have? Shadow ball might be a better option.

I would personally drop blastoise because I like freeze-dry and perish song but you can drop lapras as well. If you choose to keep lapras I would suggest dropping sheer cold for perish song since it is a bit more consistent. Also level difference drops the accuracy of sheer cold. You could also swap dive for ice beam or surf and create a full special lapras but that is not that important. If you keep blastoise remove one of the water moves and give it flash cannon, 3 water moves is overkill.

Now since you have three slots left we can fill up those slots, I think you need an extra physical attacker and something fast. What that is free to choose. For fast you can look at noivern ,aerodactyl, or something with priority. Or something a bit more bulky which can setup so that it goes fast nex turn. For aphysical attacker you have a lot of options since you have half a team to fill. Just keep your typings in mind.

I know it doesn't seem like it but surprisingly my delphox has been able to set up a sunny day and just hand out ass-whoopings via fire blast more times than I can count.Sunny Day was intially only going to be a temporary thing I would use against the ice gym leader but the combo just remained so useful I couldn't get rid of it.Will-O-Wisp could be good to have as well. It's hidden power is bug, but the times I've used it were very effective..even against types that are weak against bug.More than likely I'll be benching arcanine, it's gotten me through a lot of stuff despite being underleveled most of the time,especially with Heat Wave being incredibly useful on a lot of the fields.

Lapras will probably stay instead of Blastoise mainly because of it's ice typing and Freeze Dry..which is very useful. Like super useful.Like seriously? A move that's super effective against water types that isn't electric or grass?! That's cray cray!Can't get rid of that.

Don't really like noivern but I do like aerodactyl. Will probably for with him..though honestly do want a bug on my team. I was considering a yanmega.

No, it will work just fine. Breeding the arcanine might be an issue if its male tho. I'm not an expert on breeding, but im pretty sure that the egg will always be the female's species unless you breed with a ditto.

Oh good I'll just put her in the sexnasium and wait for my egg to pop out.

Type overlap is fine for redundancy/backup especially against certain battles that need it (my Blaziken and Arcanine against Blake, for example), but yeah you'll want more variation. You have hundreds of options, but as an example I'll just list my own core team with redundancies and backups, if any.

-Blaziken and Arcanine (covers Fire and Fighting)

-Donphan (Ground)

-Walrein, Vanilluxe, and recently Milotic (Water and Ice)

-Ampharos and Eelektross (Electric)

-Drapion and Honchkrow (Dark, Poison, Flying)

-Sylveon (Fairy)

-Druddigon and Noivern (Dragon, though I haven't been leveling them)

It's not the best, but they cover many different types and got me this far pretty well... kinda well... well, I didn't get murdered and that's what counts. I honestly don't have too many others in rotation, but I do catch something when I need it. When I found myself consistently poorly-equipped to handle Ground-, Rock-, and even other Fire-types (Blaziken and Donphan can't always handle it by themselves), I finally caught a Walrein.

Go catch some Pokemon of as many different types as you can -- they'll probably fill a niche that you might not have noticed needed filling. I wouldn't say you need to bench any of your current mons, you just need more variation into your core party.

If you want suggestions (I'm just throwing these out here), Magnezone is supposed to be awesome as a tank, Gardevoir for Fairy and/or another Psychic-type (Gothitelle also works as a pure Psychic-type), Eelektross for Levitation or Ampharos if you want something bulkier, Rhyperior or Donphan, Braviary or Staraptor, etc etc.

Delphox is a great pokemon on this team. I say you keep it. But having Delphox and Arcanine on the same team leaves a smaller amount of space for type coverage. (same with lapras and blastoise) Less coverage makes it harder for you to win as the game gets harder and harder tbh.

What to do with Lapras

So I say you keep Blastoise but switch Lapras for Mamoswine. 473.pngMamoswine has like the best offensive typing in the game so far, and it can serve as an electric resist and a straight up powerhouse. MAKE SURE that you get it as a Swinub and that it has Ice Shard. It will help you a lot. Swinub are chillin in the cave by Shade's gym and Ametrine cave. (If it doesn't have Ice Shard then be sure to go to the move relearner in Onyx or Agate to relearn it.

What to do with Arcanine

A grass type would do you well. I recommend Roserade.407.png(You can catch budew in the secret garden in the far west part of Peridot) I say that you might want a grass type because something that can beat ground types is always nice, sadly Roserade isn't a pokemon you would want to switch into Earthquakes. Also, Roserade helps beat down fairies for you.

If you need places to grind your levels, the grand hall and the crustles on Route 2 are great places.

What to do with your empty slot

I believe that a ground resist would help you a lot as well. Some pointers are Flygon 330.png(Trapinch is still in the arcade as a prize if I remember correctly), Mismagius 429.png (Find it here)(If you choose Mismagius, wait until Misdreavus gets to level 41 to learn shadow ball) and or Pinsir. 127.png (Pinsir is really strong and gets powerful level up moves like X-Scissor, Superpower and Swords Dance. It's a nice solid ground resist and powerhouse. BE WARNED the Pinsir/Heracross event is really long, but I found it enjoyable because the Route 1 music is the goat. find it here)

Breeding recommendations

I see that your Blastoise has Dark Pulse (unless Luna gave you that :( ) If that;s the truth I recommend that you breed Leaf Storm/Spikes if you feel like it.

I also highly recommend that you breed to get Icicle crash for Mamoswine. It is so strong. If you don't want to, then Ice Fang is your best bet, which it learns by itself.

Your team would look something like this if you take most of my advice-

655.png009.png538.png473.png407.png429.pngor 127.png

This team will put an end to your struggles with battles. Hope this helps!! n_n

Shoutout to Lostelle for the pokemon locations and videos~

Well your team is not a mess,because you have completed Episode 15 with it.

You should keep the Arcanine and Blastoise in the pc,unless you love them too much.Delphox and Lapras (or a Walrein with thick fat )will do the job.

Now, you must get a magnezone ,its just aweome and will do good against fairies and also provide electric support.

I suggest that you should get a Rhyperior for Ground and Rock type.

You can keep Throh or replace it with Mienshao or Hawlucha.

I will leave the last place for you to choose.(may be a good grass type or poision-dragon type)

Edited by Debojit97

I would recommend adopting an HM slave or two like Golduck or Bibarel. The water HMs are redundant and Rock Smash is just bad.

If you keep Arcanine as a member, I'd recommend breeding a new one with Close Combat to replace Rock Smash. You could also go fully physical and replace Heat Wave with Flare Blitz. Of course, all this would require you to dig up another Fire Stone, so you might want to just keep Delphox...

I'd recommend Lapras over Blastoise to help cover dragons, dropping Sheer Cold.

The team could use a solid electric type like Ampharos or Magnezone(Which you'll want to get before Ame axes it in E16), or a Psychic-type like Metagross(Also getting axed soon) or Gardevoir.

The Eeveelutions could also be something for you to consider.

Okay so after looking through all the generous suggestions, I've come to this decision thus.

My team at the moment consists of Merlin the Delphox, Wanderer the Lapras and Heavy the Throh. These three are my definite strongest and most experienced mons I possess.

Now I'm trying to consider what to add to the other half of my team, because me running around with three mons is suicidal.

At the moment I am considering add these mons to my team:

Sawk

Lucario

Mienshao

Muk

Staraptor

Yanmega

Gardevoir

Walrein(possible replacement for lapras)

Weavile(when it's available. Caught a shiny sneasel in the ice caves)

Purrugly

Toxicroak

Lickilicky

Snorlax

Mawile(for possible mega evolution purposes in the future)

Conkeldur(if I can finally beat that damn puzzle)

Meganium(though it's not one of my favorite starters)

Misdreavus

Froslass

Leafeon

Umbreon

Jolteon

Clefable

It's pretty damn long list of possible members so picking the right ones will be problematic.I recall someone mentioning Mamoswine, truthfully I'm not very fond of using that mon because of it's 4x weakness.I am not against having two mons of the same typing if they can balance each other out with a decent variety of moves.

Also I recall seeing what I believe is a larvitar egg somewhere in the caves on route 3. Do I need rock climb to get it?

I'm not sure about the other slots (you have a lot of Fighting-type choices), but DEAR GOD I recommend Clefable. Stored Power + Cosmic Power? Potent Psychic attacks with superhigh defenses (too bad I don't think you can teach it Calm Mind). Magic Guard? One of the best abilities in the game (you could just give it a Toxic Orb when they'er available and permanently ignore its status). STAB Moonblast and (eventual) access to Flamethrower? Yes please. It also learns a wide variety of TMs to fill in coverage gaps.

It's pretty damn long list of possible members so picking the right ones will be problematic.I recall someone mentioning Mamoswine, truthfully I'm not very fond of using that mon because of it's 4x weakness.I am not against having two mons of the same typing if they can balance each other out with a decent variety of moves.

Also I recall seeing what I believe is a larvitar egg somewhere in the caves on route 3. Do I need rock climb to get it?

Mamoswine doesn't have a 4x weakness. Ice/Ground just might be the best way for ice types to be decent defensively. There is a high chance that the egg is an axew egg, as there are two parent sprites of Haxorus in the game files. And lastly, we do need rock climb, but we can't get it yet.

Mamoswine doesn't have a 4x weakness. Ice/Ground just might be the best way for ice types to be decent defensively. There is a high chance that the egg is an axew egg, as there are two parent sprites of Haxorus in the game files. And lastly, we do need rock climb, but we can't get it yet.

Oh. Don't know why I thought it was Rock/Ice. Even still the times I have used it in other games I don't fair to well with it.

I have narrowed down my list quite a bit though to:

Lucario

Dragalge

(Possibly)Clefable

(Possibly)Metagross

Aerodacytle

By the way, does anyone know if a lucky punch chansey could be useful at all?I like using the occasional quirky mon.

Oh. Don't know why I thought it was Rock/Ice. Even still the times I have used it in other games I don't fair to well with it.

Lucario

Dragalge

(Possibly)Clefable

(Possibly)Metagross

Aerodacytle

By the way, does anyone know if a lucky punch chansey could be useful at all?I like using the occasional quirky mon.

Chansey normally makes a fantastic Special tank with Eviolate (just don't evolve it to Blissey), but you can probably do some good with a Lucky Punch Chansey. The biggest problem is that Chansey's innate movepool is kind of terrible; you want Special attacks, and it doesn't naturally learn a single Special move.

I think you could pull it off if you wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than a passion project.

Lucario

Dragalge

(Possibly)Clefable

(Possibly)Metagross

Aerodacytle

Lucario?why ? you have a Fighting type already.If you want steel types,then Metagross or magnezone will be great.You have nothing to hit a water type pokemon.

Dragagle has good defense but as you are carrying a Lapras already,Dragon types will not be necessary.For poison types, you can have have a roserade.(Again grass type will be good against water types )

Clefable is good mon but if have a steel and a poison type, then fairies will be useless.

Aerodacytle will be a good for your team,another option is a Archeops.

Chansey normally makes a fantastic Special tank with Eviolate (just don't evolve it to Blissey), but you can probably do some good with a Lucky Punch Chansey. The biggest problem is that Chansey's innate movepool is kind of terrible; you want Special attacks, and it doesn't naturally learn a single Special move.

I think you could pull it off if you wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than a passion project.

Yes that's what it seems like. Anyway I thank you all for your help on this matter. I should be able to take it from here.